Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It's the 29th. You know what that means, VAR's calling trying to meet their quota!

Hey, it's Steve from PC connection! Boy do I have a deal for you on some printers. Hey whatever happened to that VoIP project you guys were working on? How about the newest version of Adobe CS?

I'LL SUCK YOUR DICK MAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Assuming you're a consultant: walk away.

"Due to client-side communication issues and failure to procure the hardware as agreed upon in the planning phase and signed off on in the master project statement of work, the project will need to be suspended until the required hardware is ordered and is on-site. Without the specified hardware, the project will not meet the performance requirements also found in the master statement."

I've sent a few of those, and they feel so good. I stopped a 25 million video production system build out because they wanted to haggle over 20k in OM3 fiber cables.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 29, 2015

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Collateral Damage posted:

This is not actually good for the gear, and especially not for the AC unit. If the AC is powerful enough you'll probably find it full of ice soon. Happened to me when one of our chillers got stuck on because it fried a relay.

Luckily it's not a super powerful AC unit. It certainly wont be putting ice on anything in that room. It's just going to be chilly.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

NeuralSpark posted:

Assuming you're a consultant: walk away.

"Due to client-side communication issues and failure to procure the hardware as agreed upon in the planning phase and signed off on in the master project statement of work, the project will need to be suspended until the required hardware is ordered and is on-site. Without the specified hardware, the project will not meet the performance requirements also found in the master statement."

I've sent a few of those, and they feel so good. I stopped a 25 million video production system build out because they wanted to haggle over 20k in OM3 fiber cables.

My company owns and develops the software, and the bank hired us to deploy it. My entire company is onboard with the problem, so I'm not going to get fired when this all goes bad.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Luckily it's not a super powerful AC unit. It certainly wont be putting ice on anything in that room. It's just going to be chilly.

It's the AC unit itself that will accumulate ice - the compressor gets *really loving cold*. If not that, it will likely at least start leaking once it accumulates sufficient condensation. Which is probably another thing you don't want in your server room

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Well poo poo. I called another guy I work with who frequents that client and told him to check on it. Last thing I want is a goddamn flood in there.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

My company owns and develops the software, and the bank hired us to deploy it. My entire company is onboard with the problem, so I'm not going to get fired when this all goes bad.

Godspeed John Glenn :)

EDIT: Been mulling this over during lunch, and I'm always astounded that organizations are always willing to push a project like this out the door when it's obviously going to fail. In this instance, how much time (and thus salary) is being wasted in UAT, and Fat Jony's consulting time surely isn't free. Sigh.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 29, 2015

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Pissing me off, our lovely AC system. It's some horrible software from who knows how old it is I'm not even going to guess. To change the settings for temperature you change such lovely named variables as A B C D E F and G it looks like they tried to go for 1-4 is heating 5-8 is cooling then they added zones so 9-11 is cooling too. No one can figure out this abomination of a UI so IT handles it. Whatever you touch it twice a year.

There is a scanned copy of handwritten notes in a .bmp on the desktop that was scanned in with what is what. What is wrong with evens and odds, or naming the variables.

Today it's slightly warm and people are playing ping pong with the if they want it on or off and threatening to leave for the day if they don't get their way, CEO isn't on site and saying find a temperature that everyone can agree on. I have it at 75f and if I have to turn that drat windows 98 machine (no go on XP or newer) on again I'm going to scream. When the PC kicks the bucket I have no idea what we're going to do, we'll have to install an entirely new HVAC system since the company doesn't exist anymore.

edit: this really shouldn't be my job to mess with the cooling, maintenance should, but none of them understand the software and training them has been unsuccessful. The UI is really really bad, like a command line would be easier for most people.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

pixaal posted:

Pissing me off, our lovely AC system. It's some horrible software from who knows how old it is I'm not even going to guess. To change the settings for temperature you change such lovely named variables as A B C D E F and G it looks like they tried to go for 1-4 is heating 5-8 is cooling then they added zones so 9-11 is cooling too. No one can figure out this abomination of a UI so IT handles it. Whatever you touch it twice a year.

There is a scanned copy of handwritten notes in a .bmp on the desktop that was scanned in with what is what. What is wrong with evens and odds, or naming the variables.

Today it's slightly warm and people are playing ping pong with the if they want it on or off and threatening to leave for the day if they don't get their way, CEO isn't on site and saying find a temperature that everyone can agree on. I have it at 75f and if I have to turn that drat windows 98 machine (no go on XP or newer) on again I'm going to scream. When the PC kicks the bucket I have no idea what we're going to do, we'll have to install an entirely new HVAC system since the company doesn't exist anymore.

Time to start looking for a new vendor, I wouldn't think it would be too hard to find someone that can work their own tools into the existing HVAC system. Especially running on a PC and OS that are 15+ years old, that poo poo's unacceptable and someone needs a swift boot to the rear end for being cheap and stupid.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

pixaal posted:

The HVAC system has a standard control interface that you can just drive from a new control system from a vendor that still exists, though, right?

Right? :ohdear:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

ToxicFrog posted:

The HVAC system has a standard control interface that you can just drive from a new control system from a vendor that still exists, though, right?

Right? :ohdear:

HAHAHA :smithicide:

I think I've mentioned in the past the 1975 Honeywell system at a million square foot property that had a DOS interface that supposedly wouldn't work on any version of Windows after 98. Honeywell was seriously asking me to build them a new Win 98 laptop to replace the dying one at that location.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
loving hell, having to shuffle the office around AGAIN with Monday as the deadline (why there's even a deadline is anyone's guess) and all sorts of menial poo poo is pushed my way "Call as many companies as you can to get free samples in for usb sticks/cards this is urgent" gently caress off.

Maybe I should suggest we attach casters to everything... EVERYTHING; then all of our equipment is super mobile.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Super Slash posted:

loving hell, having to shuffle the office around AGAIN with Monday as the deadline (why there's even a deadline is anyone's guess) and all sorts of menial poo poo is pushed my way "Call as many companies as you can to get free samples in for usb sticks/cards this is urgent" gently caress off.

Maybe I should suggest we attach casters to everything... EVERYTHING; then all of our equipment is super mobile.

Wi-Fi and http://www.steelcase.com/eu-en/products/collaborative-chairs/node/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I can confirm that SonicWall has poo poo firewalls.

Update time! Looks like one of the units in an HA pair was faulty and managed to corrupt the firmware load of both units each time a failover from the bad unit was triggered. Because why would you do anything at all to ensure you weren't about to attempt to boot something that didn't match what you think it should be. I enjoy punishment so I will be emailing our account rep to ask some details about how HA works on these units and where the checks are carried out to ensure integrity of whatever is running.

mewse
May 2, 2006

It's like the fat humans from Wall-E

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

Update time! Looks like one of the units in an HA pair was faulty and managed to corrupt the firmware load of both units each time a failover from the bad unit was triggered. Because why would you do anything at all to ensure you weren't about to attempt to boot something that didn't match what you think it should be. I enjoy punishment so I will be emailing our account rep to ask some details about how HA works on these units and where the checks are carried out to ensure integrity of whatever is running.

Re: firewall talk

We used to have HP G3's running some ancient version of Checkpoint at my old job. This was like...a year and a half ago. The failover didn't work because we had them plugged into a switch that did some ARP caching and the firewalls did something that I forgot in a non-standard way. They'd also randomly fail (usually after pushing a new policy) and no new internet sessions could run (and therefore you couldn't surf the web) but something like my SSH tunnel would stay up and I'd be the only one who could get online until you powered the firewalls off/on. Ugh.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've been trying for a few weeks now to get my boss to specify where she wants a new hire to sit. This person was supposed to start on 9/22 so I started asking the week prior. Each time my boss's only response has been that the new hire's start date has been pushed back. It was moved to 9/28, then 9/29. When I emailed her yesterday to again ask where to set this person up her response was "She's starting Wednesday."

:shepicide:

We have a terrible space planning issue and I understand it's not easy to pick a spot, and yet a spot must be selected. It's not an option to not set this person up. This really pushes my button labeled "ANSWER THE loving QUESTION."

I just emailed her again. Curious to see what I get back.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been trying for a few weeks now to get my boss to specify where she wants a new hire to sit. This person was supposed to start on 9/22 so I started asking the week prior. Each time my boss's only response has been that the new hire's start date has been pushed back. It was moved to 9/28, then 9/29. When I emailed her yesterday to again ask where to set this person up her response was "She's starting Wednesday."

We have a terrible space planning issue and I understand it's not easy to pick a spot, and yet a spot must be selected. It's not an option to not set this person up. This really pushes my button labeled "ANSWER THE loving QUESTION."

I too, am curious why you will get back.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Just COI it? How do you even get to this point without COIng every new hire?

Seems like you work with some odd people Dick.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

NeuralSpark posted:

Godspeed John Glenn :)

EDIT: Been mulling this over during lunch, and I'm always astounded that organizations are always willing to push a project like this out the door when it's obviously going to fail. In this instance, how much time (and thus salary) is being wasted in UAT, and Fat Jony's consulting time surely isn't free. Sigh.

I just had a meeting with the clients SA (the guy parallel to my level) and he was able to get someone that can approve the request for just more memory in three weeks, provided I can show it's happening. Just a top on the server shows no memory is free so hopefully we can get that fixed.

There's just no one that owns the server side of this project from a managers perspective. It's just me an their SA emailing everyone hoping someone will fix it. There's like a black hole of server bureaucracy with no owner ship we are just emailing angry emails to.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I just had a meeting with the clients SA (the guy parallel to my level) and he was able to get someone that can approve the request for just more memory in three weeks, provided I can show it's happening. Just a top on the server shows no memory is free so hopefully we can get that fixed.

There's just no one that owns the server side of this project from a managers perspective. It's just me an their SA emailing everyone hoping someone will fix it. There's like a black hole of server bureaucracy with no owner ship we are just emailing angry emails to.

Maybe try pointing out how much money will be lost in productivity/opportunity in the weeks it will take to order new servers VS the actual cost of the servers now?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
yes, weblogic is starting up. no, i can't make it go faster. it will be done when it's done. this is not production so no, customers are not affected.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

gently caress people who come to work sick.

CFO is trying to open a PDF that has a portfolio and the piece of poo poo requires Flash to work properly. I sit at his PC to work on it and he's sniffling and coughing like a motherfucker and I just want to yell "GO HOME YOU IDIOT."
I have a box of latex gloves for just an occasion like this. If I have to sit at a desk of someone who's sick, I grab a pair and wait to put them on until I'm at the desk.

I work at a non-retail pharmacy so this behavior is not only appropriate but also subsidized because we have to keep gloves stocked.

mewse
May 2, 2006

poo poo not pissing me off: it's 10 minutes until closing time and I just ignored a phone call from Caller ID Unknown. They did not leave voicemail :unsmith:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Skandranon posted:

Maybe try pointing out how much money will be lost in productivity/opportunity in the weeks it will take to order new servers VS the actual cost of the servers now?

I did. I've done everything I can. They will not do anything until its in production and we can prove the users will experience performance problem.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Time to go into CYA override then I guess.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Seems like you work with some odd people Dick.

I've come to feel that most everyone is like this. Evasive, prevaricating, willfully dense fuckheads.

That determine my fate.

EDIT: I'll start using COI instead of :rip:

HERE LIES DICK TRAUMA
HE NEVER SCORED
COI

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Just COI it? How do you even get to this point without COIng every new hire?

Hi I'm dumb, what does COI mean in this context? Conflict of Interest?

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Coredump posted:

Hi I'm dumb, what does COI mean in this context? Conflict of Interest?

Come ON!! Everyone knows what COI is. How can you have gotten to your current level without knowing it?

**EDIT**

Not busting your balls - just channeling what DT's boss kept saying to him when he would ask.

I believe it means Completion of Item.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

It's ICO: Item Closed Out. :pseudo:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
COLO Obliterated by Incendiaries.

J
Jun 10, 2001

mewse posted:

poo poo not pissing me off: it's 10 minutes until closing time and I just ignored a phone call from Caller ID Unknown. They did not leave voicemail :unsmith:

I got a call today from caller ID unknown, and they left a voicemail. It was 2 minutes, and long voicemails usually only come from some of our more interesting users. Turns out it was a butt dial and the voicemail was 2 minutes of kids screaming in the background. :unsmith:

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

We had a customer with 50% or more packet loss stuck with his situation for 6 weeks while the supervisor of the techs in his area kept sending people out and dicking around. There's an escalation process, it's easy, and if you follow it you can usually get this kind of problem resolved in less than 24 hours. There is no evidence that any part of the process was followed on any of the 8 dispatches to his home.

Finally it lands on my desk. After the customer finished yelling, I arranged for a tech to go out and took steps to control the rest of the process. We had the issue fixed in less than an hour.

I sent an email to the supervisor to basically close out the issue - "Customer states it's resolved, thanks for the assistance, blah blah."

In response, I get this:

:downs: I understand that we reset the card and it all came up. What a waste of my time.

Motherfucker, you wasted 6 weeks on this. You have a history of dumping garbage on my team because you don't follow process and drag issues out forever. Go gently caress yourself.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
I had to rearrange a bunch of client appointments because my doofus engineer partner decided not to tell anyone until last Wednesday that he'd be out this week. We have a system where we email the boss our PTO request & include partner engineers, then mark our calendars. Guess what didn't happen, leaving me swamped with little help? :downs: I seriously want to punch him when he gets back, loving idiot.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

So, I need a new office chair for my home setup. How comfortable is that to sit in for ~8-12 hours?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Storysmith posted:

So, I need a new office chair for my home setup. How comfortable is that to sit in for ~8-12 hours?

Holy poo poo no.

Honestly, get a Herman Miller. I have an Aeron in my home office, and a Mirra at work.

I used to cheap out for the home office, and even with "comfortable" chairs I was burning through the cheap ones (sub $300) every couple years. I've had my current chair for over 6 and it's still fantastically comfortable and all the little levers and pneumatics still work perfectly. Chairs are like shoes, you don't want to go the budget route if you don't have to. Look at it as an investment in a productive work environment.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
We use the Steelcase Leap and they're fantastic. They're like $900-1k though. http://www.steelcase.com/eu-en/products/office-chairs/leap/

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

flosofl posted:

Holy poo poo no.

Honestly, get a Herman Miller. I have an Aeron in my home office, and a Mirra at work.

I used to cheap out for the home office, and even with "comfortable" chairs I was burning through the cheap ones (sub $300) every couple years. I've had my current chair for over 6 and it's still fantastically comfortable and all the little levers and pneumatics still work perfectly. Chairs are like shoes, you don't want to go the budget route if you don't have to. Look at it as an investment in a productive work environment.

less than three posted:

We use the Steelcase Leap and they're fantastic. They're like $900-1k though. http://www.steelcase.com/eu-en/products/office-chairs/leap/

Argh, I was planning on getting an Eames Aluminum Group with casters but that Leap looks interesting as hell and just complicated matters. I think that was the chair my coworker got instead of an Aeron that disappeared the day he quit.

I sit in an Aeron when I'm at work; I'd rather sit in something else when I'm at home just for mental separation. I've also busted a couple of work's Aeron lumbar support things already.

Having gone through an outright absurd amount of chairs in my life, I know all about spending money right the first time; I just hadn't seen that weirdass task chair design before and was intrigued. $900 isn't exactly outrageous for a chair I'd be sitting in for 20-50 hours a week.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
The steelcase leap is better than the Aeron, I had an Aeron for 5 years at my last job and I don't think they're that great tbh.
Tried a Leap & Gesture and they were both awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

Pissing me off: Coworkers.

Coworker sneezes and pulls up nose all day.

Me: You don't sound too good, maybe drink a nice tea at home so it doesn't get worse?
CW: Hehe, no, I'll pull through.
Me: Just saying, it sounds really bad.
CW: I had worse.
Me: Dude, take a hint and go the gently caress home, I do not want you to spread your disease all over me and this equipment. This is germany, it's not like you won't get paid if you are sick, god damnit. Ok. Hey, listen I have some overtime and am going home now, we can finish this rack tomorrow, bye.
CW: Oh come on, be a man, a little sneeze isn't going to kill you.
Me: ...