Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

that's more like a 'hot water dispenser' though. a kettle boils the water then switches off, but that boils the water then keeps it at a constant 90-98 degrees, on the zoji you can select how hot you want it to be.

we've always had one growing up and its insane how convenient it is if you like drinking hot powdered beverages (or tea/coffee and aren't one of those THE WATER MUST BE AT A ROLLING BOIL!! people) throughout the day. since moving out to a place where I only had a standard kettle my hot drink consumption has fallen by approx. 100%

I drink a lot of tea and my 9,90 Claes Olefsson no-name kettle boils the water in like three minutes and I've never found that to be inconvenient enough to spend 40000 on a piece of water-heating kit just so I don't have to wait another three minutes when I have tea a few hours later and a minute or so for the cup to cool down enough to drink :shrug:. I think you're just a kettle nerd :mrgw:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

PCOS Bill posted:

I have that tea kettle. It's the bee's knees and sounds like howling damned souls when it whistles.

I also gave that kettle as a wedding gift earlier this year. Lotta those going around!

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

I drink a lot of tea and my 9,90 Claes Olefsson no-name kettle boils the water in like three minutes and I've never found that to be inconvenient enough to spend 40000 on a piece of water-heating kit just so I don't have to wait another three minutes when I have tea a few hours later and a minute or so for the cup to cool down enough to drink :shrug:. I think you're just a kettle nerd :mrgw:.

ehhh the wait isn't that bad but its long enough for me to go do something else in the meantime and i always end up forgetting about it (electric, non whistling kind) and by the time i remember the water's cooled down again :mrwhite:

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
How much power does one of those things draw? The very concept seems like I'll be poor in a year just because I can't wait two minutes for my water to start boiling.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

ehhh the wait isn't that bad but its long enough for me to go do something else in the meantime

Life hack: You should start picking your nose while waiting.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

AlexF posted:

How much power does one of those things draw? The very concept seems like I'll be poor in a year just because I can't wait two minutes for my water to start boiling.

the ones ive seen are all insulated so you can put your hands on them and its just slightly warm.. its more like an active thermos i guess?

funkatron3000
Jun 17, 2005

Better Living Through Chemistry
New to me danish modern desk. It's a nice upgrade over the door-sitting-on-two-wobbly-book-shelves desk I've been using for the past 8 years. No in-home photo since I'm still working on re-organizing my office.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

funkatron3000 posted:

New to me danish modern desk. It's a nice upgrade over the door-sitting-on-two-wobbly-book-shelves desk I've been using for the past 8 years. No in-home photo since I'm still working on re-organizing my office.

Ah cool! Got the same one for free at a local library - used it for a couple of years, and it's used as a workbench in my workshop.

You are aware that there's a couple of doors on the opposite side of the drawers?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Android Bicyclist posted:

Goongratulations on perpetuating a Pacific Northwest stereotype. Just need the Birkenstocks. ;)

I used to laugh at all the Subarus on the road here, but hot drat do they make sense for a PNW goon. I can carry so many guns and bikes with plenty of room for brewing equipment and eCigs.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh my god, loving adorable.
I don't use my 3DS all that much but I NEED a *new* 3DS!

funkatron3000
Jun 17, 2005

Better Living Through Chemistry

Kidney Stone posted:

You are aware that there's a couple of doors on the opposite side of the drawers?

Huh no, I didn't see any, but I'll definitely give it a closer look. It's just a flat sheet of veneered ply on the back, no door handles or anything.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

funkatron3000 posted:

Huh no, I didn't see any, but I'll definitely give it a closer look. It's just a flat sheet of veneered ply on the back, no door handles or anything.

Strange, the version I got had two doors on the back (one each side), around 5-6" deep.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

AlexF posted:

We put a killawatt on it and I don't remember the exact wattage but it ended up being $3 a month in power.

Its basically a super thermos with a heater attached.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Also Clif bars are just candy bars. I don't get how they can get away with selling it in the health food section.

If someone could invent a Snickers bar that didn't melt I would never buy a Cliff bar again.

I am still a huge fan of the old school Powerbars but they are pretty rare in stores these days.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Inzombiac posted:

Oh my god, loving adorable.
I don't use my 3DS all that much but I NEED a *new* 3DS!

I picked this plate up for my kid cousin, earlier in the week:

With that and one of the new animal crossing amiibos, he's possibly going to die of cute come Christmas.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Lazily quoting my post in the AR15 thread, I bought some stuff:

PCOS Bill posted:

Hello AR-15 thread, I'm building something. Something beautiful.

Hm... something's missing

Oh right!

I still have to pick up a few things for it, it's a little too understated so far.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

PCOS Bill posted:

What ya using for sights?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sappo569 posted:

What ya using for sights?

PCOS Bill posted:

I still have to pick up a few things for it

No clue, I've never built a pistol AR, before, still trying to decide. I just wanted to get the gun itself ordered and on its way since you never know how long things are going to take to ship

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo uppers are cheap these days. I have 2-4 lowers somewhere that I bought up before MD banned them that I really should do something with.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

bunnielab posted:

Holy poo poo uppers are cheap these days.

That's not what my dealer told me at the weekend in the club.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

PCOS Bill posted:

No clue, I've never built a pistol AR, before, still trying to decide. I just wanted to get the gun itself ordered and on its way since you never know how long things are going to take to ship

Just slap some cheap flip up irons on it until you figure that part out

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

bunnielab posted:

If someone could invent a Snickers bar that didn't melt I would never buy a Cliff bar again.

I just squeeze Snickers out of the end of the wrapper, a melted bite at a time, until it's gone. Admittedly, this doesn't work well for saving some for later, but what sort of hungry hiker doesn't eat the entire snack at once?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Eh, the chewing is part of the pleasure. Plus getting liquid chocolate in one's beard without a good way to wash up is kinda lame.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Holy Crap...

I posted this a few days ago:

Captain Lavender posted:

I just ordered this for my little brother's birthday. He hasn't read this comic as far as I know, so I'm excited.

For the next 2 days, you can pay an extra $10 to have the author sign it and do a little sketch.

So I asked for a sketch, and the prompt asked me, "Describe the character or situation you'd like a drawn"
- So I wrote "Reginald obnoxiously occluding Beartato; or just Reginald if that's too involved."

Then it asked, "What message would you like written?"
- I wrote "Happy Belated Birthday Alex"

Well, it came today

I'm beside myself with how cool it is.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Captain Lavender posted:

Holy Crap...

I posted this a few days ago:

So I asked for a sketch, and the prompt asked me, "Describe the character or situation you'd like a drawn"
- So I wrote "Reginald obnoxiously occluding Beartato; or just Reginald if that's too involved."

Then it asked, "What message would you like written?"
- I wrote "Happy Belated Birthday Alex"

Well, it came today

I'm beside myself with how cool it is.

I have always enjoyed this comic and the gentle whimsy contained therein. If I could be guaranteed that I wouldn't have to deal with or even see anyone roleplaying up their neon-colored Japanese kitten fursuit, I'd go to a convention solely to meet a few of my favorite webcomic artists and get some few signed books and sketches. Alas, such a weeaboo-free, comic-only convention doesn't exist and probably wouldn't make money.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

Careful with that XM855 at indoor ranges. They tend to not like things that'll spark the backstop/go through it.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

schreibs posted:

Careful with that XM855 at indoor ranges. They tend to not like things that'll spark the backstop/go through it.

I've never been to an indoor range in my life so no worries there.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I caught a nail in my 1 month old tire on the way to the track, and the tire guy only had supercorsas. I found it on the second session, and I wasn't about to waste the last track day of the season, soooo....

:homebrew:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

M42 posted:

I caught a nail in my 1 month old tire on the way to the track, and the tire guy only had supercorsas. I found it on the second session, and I wasn't about to waste the last track day of the season, soooo....

:homebrew:

Why do you cover up your tail lights (I'm assuming that's what the blue tape is covering) for riding on a track?

gypsycabdriver
Apr 19, 2007
Gun Stuff

Zodiac Eng Slingshot and a Strathmore Greytone sketchbook

gypsycabdriver has a new favorite as of 05:24 on Sep 29, 2015

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Slimy Hog posted:

Why do you cover up your tail lights (I'm assuming that's what the blue tape is covering) for riding on a track?

So if you crash there's not a ton of debris on the track

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Slimy Hog posted:

Mirrors / Brake Lights are a distraction to other riders on the track and are required to be either taken off the bike, disabled, or covered up.

If you use your bike on the street it's common to just use painters tape to cover them.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

I don't know why I've waited so long:

I had the "Version You've Never Seen" on DVD. And the original on laserdisc. Yes, laserdisc. In 4:3.

Anyone who's a fan of The Exorcist would most likely enjoy this article thoroughly:
http://www.strangemag.com/exorcistpage1.html
The journalist does a great job and keeps digging deeper and deeper into the story of Roland Doe that inspired William Blatty's novel/movie adaptation.

My purchases:

A gym membership

Forza 6

New Chvrches album

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008
I bought a secondhand vehicle. It's a significant step up from my 15 year old Fiat hatch and I'm quite pleased with it so far.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Needed some new weight lifting shoes.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Aquarium Gravel posted:

I have always enjoyed this comic and the gentle whimsy contained therein. If I could be guaranteed that I wouldn't have to deal with or even see anyone roleplaying up their neon-colored Japanese kitten fursuit, I'd go to a convention solely to meet a few of my favorite webcomic artists and get some few signed books and sketches. Alas, such a weeaboo-free, comic-only convention doesn't exist and probably wouldn't make money.

If you're in the area, Toronto Comic Arts Festival is pretty great - it's free, it's in the big reference library, and no costumes allowed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Digital_Jesus posted:

Mirrors / Brake Lights are a distraction to other riders on the track and are required to be either taken off the bike, disabled, or covered up.

If you use your bike on the street it's common to just use painters tape to cover them.

What, really? Is this a bike thing? I don't think I've heard anyone complain about brake lights being distracted at a track day yet.

Speaking of :homebrew:, these are quite recent:

and this doesn't even include any fpv stuff yet :(

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It's a little of column A and a little of column B. Partially a holdover from when lights were made of glass, partially because they are unnecessarily distracting. A buddy ahead of me had some tape come off their brake light, it really does draw the eye (especially if you spend a lot of time riding street). Doing it is like 0 effort anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Somehow my 3 year :canada: corporate contract turned into two years, so now I can get this for cheap:

Nexus 6p.