Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
Is the game more prone to crashing after this patch or am I having really bad luck? For now I'll just run it in windowed mode to see if that lessens the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

quote:

By popular demand: unused dungeon supplies now sell back at the end of a quest (for a smallish percentage of their value)
Resolve level 0 and 1 heroes now have more disease resistance! After all, they are fresh off the stagecoach and are the healthiest they'll ever be!

Neat!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The narrator kinda sounds like he's forgotten what his voice is supposed to sound like in some of these new voice clips. He just doesn't have that same grim, world-weary, "there can be no hope in this hell" tone.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I don't follow the game as closely as some of you, mainly dipping in to try it when there's a new patch. Have they said anything about making perks/afflictions less random and more themed? Like restricting them so characters do not get Weald perks at the end of a Ruins run, etc.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

So far I've noticed more events from stress activities as well, having 3 people go missing on stuff, and a guy win a trinket at the gambling hall. Making it a lot harder to keep my teams together. Trinkets can't double up, and there are some pretty nice generic ones, like a +20% stun chance. Weirdly there is another one that is +20% stun chance and -2 dodge, so still some uneven trinket stuff in this pass.

What kind of cove curio stuff have you guys found so far?
Herbs on the eerie coral seems to be removing negative perks, and on the fish carcass lets you loot it. Shovel on barnacle chest works, key didn't. All the stuff I find in lists online for the cove are clearly wrong.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 30, 2015

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

It seems like Red Hook has finally caught on to the fact that a lot of trinkets' downside is just that they take up a slot. Many of the common and uncommon trinkets now have no stat penalties.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I had to learn the curios through trial and error:

Brine pool: Antivenom -> removes stress/and possible healing I believe?
Fish carcass: Herbs -> Treasure
Oyster: Shovel -> Treasure
Barnacle encrusted chest: Nothing? -> Treasure or nothing it's actually shovel->treasure
Coral: Herbs -> Removes negative perk
Fish Idol: Holy Water -> Damage buff for three rounds
Bas relief:???-> Chance of a positive quirk

Someone should just go through the game files and figure it out.

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 30, 2015

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

FourLeaf posted:

I had to learn the curios through trial and error:

Brine pool: Antivenom -> removes stress/and possible healing I believe?
Fish carcass: Herbs -> Treasure
Oyster: Shovel -> Treasure
Barnacle encrusted chest: Nothing? -> Treasure or nothing it's actually shovel->treasure
Coral: Herbs -> Removes negative perk
Fish Idol: Holy Water -> Damage buff for three rounds
Bas relief:???-> Chance of a positive quirk

By the way, if you hit the Bas Relief with a Shovel, it immediately rockets you to 100 Stress. So, um, don't do that.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well Occultist and Plague Doctor especially got more love

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

amuayse posted:

Well Occultist and Plague Doctor especially got more love
This reminds me, I know the Occultist has a few attacks that do extra damage to Eldritch, but does anyone else? It seems like most of the monsters in the Cove are Eldritch.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I seem to get nothing but level 5 quests at the cove is there any way to get novice quests to train up a fresh batch through the cove?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

may contain peanuts posted:

This reminds me, I know the Occultist has a few attacks that do extra damage to Eldritch, but does anyone else? It seems like most of the monsters in the Cove are Eldritch.

Not to my knowledge. Houndmaster is good at murdering beasts, Crusader is good at murdering unholy stuff, and Occultist is good at murdering eldritch critters. IMO the Arbalist's attacks should get a bonus against human opponents - it'd give her a neat thematic and tactical niche, and make her a little deadlier against some of the more annoying back-row enemies.

On an unrelated note, the new corpses are loving gross in the best possible way :unsmigghh:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

Not to my knowledge. Houndmaster is good at murdering beasts, Crusader is good at murdering unholy stuff, and Occultist is good at murdering eldritch critters. IMO the Arbalist's attacks should get a bonus against human opponents - it'd give her a neat thematic and tactical niche, and make her a little deadlier against some of the more annoying back-row enemies.

Bounty Hunters get the human killer bonus.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

On an unrelated note, the new corpses are loving gross in the best possible way :unsmigghh:
That's what I figured. Maybe I should try speccing my Occultist for damage and taking him to the Cove. I've always used him as support but maybe with the right spec he can be good at murdering fishmen too.

Sorta agree with you on Arbalists getting bonus damage against humans. That's something I'd really want for the cannon fight, but I also really want AOE for that fight so I don't exactly want to bring Bounty Hunters.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I love what they did to trinkets with this patch. They're not as good in some cases as they once were, but they're actually worth using now. Crusader shield thing that used to give protection and health way back just being some health is nice. Leper having a hard time? Have a small accuracy buff with a hat.

Seems like early game will be a fair bit easier, which is the best direction the game can go in. Lure fresh meat in with the promise of glory and riches.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

FourLeaf posted:

I'm way too lazy to port this over to the wiki today (hopefully some other sperg will beat me to it before the weekend), but all y'all can open up curio_type_library.csv with a text editor and check out what the interactions are. The file lives in \Steam\steamapps\common\DarkestDungeon\curios

Incidentally, if anyone wants to screw around with the unused provisions sellback values, those are in inventory.darkest in the \Steam\steamapps\common\DarkestDungeon\inventory directory. Text editor opens that up as well.

Edit: actually, looks like this dude has the cove curios up in his guide already

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 30, 2015

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Can anyone help me? I'm experiencing a bug which won't allow me to switch my heroes' positions. When I click the person who I want them to switch with it makes the proper noise but nothing happens. The game unfortunately decides this counts as a move so I then lose a turn. My hellion almost died because of this, so I really need a solution.

VVV None of them are afflicted. This happens both inside and outside of battle no matter how many times I try to switch them.

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 1, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is one of your guys Afflicted? Sometimes if a guy's stress maxes out and he gets insolent he'll refuse orders to swap positions, either as the target or as the initiator.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

FourLeaf posted:

Can anyone help me? I'm experiencing a bug which won't allow me to switch my heroes' positions. When I click the person who I want them to switch with it makes the proper noise but nothing happens. The game unfortunately decides this counts as a move so I then lose a turn. My hellion almost died because of this, so I really need a solution.

This was happening to me too. But for some reason, it only failed when I try to move someone backward. However, a hotfix just dropped, and now it seems to be working OK.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Black Wombat posted:

This was happening to me too. But for some reason, it only failed when I try to move someone backward. However, a hotfix just dropped, and now it seems to be working OK.

Yep! That's great, from looking at the forums it seems a lot of people were having this problem.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

So here's a ridiculously easy strategy for beating the Siren if you're having trouble:

Equip everyone with Cleansing Crystals. That's it. Siren Song is a Debuff rather than an effect like the Hag's "Into the Pot" attack, so equipping Cleansing Crystals (or anything else with a big +Debuff Resist stat) means that she'll never be able to entice a party member over to her side. The battle is just comically easy as a 4-on-1. This probably needs to be changed so that she is guaranteed to steal a party member rather than merely having a chance to steal one if the Debuff sticks.

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 1, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
You know, didn't the developer talk about plans to eventually add controller support for Darkest Dungeon? I ask because, laying around playing this game on a laptop, what I could really use is gamepad support. I think some of the interfaces would require some tweaking, but I swear the developer said something about wanting to do it at some point.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You know, didn't the developer talk about plans to eventually add controller support for Darkest Dungeon? I ask because, laying around playing this game on a laptop, what I could really use is gamepad support. I think some of the interfaces would require some tweaking, but I swear the developer said something about wanting to do it at some point.

I'm actually hoping for a WiiU port just for the sole purpose of lounging around. The tablet is perfect for that game.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Just made a new game after having not played since before corpses and hounds. drat, new content and features are cool. Plague doc got buffed/skills retooled a bit and am really happy to see them shine since i always liked them before.

Negative traits getting aggravated or whatever needs tweeking. Seems like they go from normal to aggravated way too quick, and the cost to treat them quadruples. Anyone have a little information about that?

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011
Oh hey when did the Brigand Pounder get a rehaul? I remember it calling reinforcements every turn it couldn't fire, but without someone to light the fuse it just passes each turn. I imagine it still calls when all Brigands are dead, but I left one alive just in case because hell no I'm not eating 20-30 damage again. I'm actually really liking this current build. I haven't run into any bullshit stress fuckery like last time, and mobs seem easier to manage and respond better to position changes that pull them from their comfort spots. Really solid build, I'm very pleased.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Jade Star posted:

Just made a new game after having not played since before corpses and hounds. drat, new content and features are cool. Plague doc got buffed/skills retooled a bit and am really happy to see them shine since i always liked them before.

Negative traits getting aggravated or whatever needs tweeking. Seems like they go from normal to aggravated way too quick, and the cost to treat them quadruples. Anyone have a little information about that?

I think that the inclusion of permanent negative quirks and the significant expense attached to removing them on high-level characters was implemented to combat the fact that, previously, there was nothing really in place to prevent the player from effortlessly accumulating mountains of cash in the endgame without even intending to--there was simply nothing to spend the money on.

I have to admit that it has been working pretty well in my game. Raising four characters fresh off the wagon all the way to level 6 is incredibly expensive, particularly if you're making use of the Sanitarium to get the rest of your crew's quirks removed or made permanent in the meantime. It may not be the best solution, but since the change, my cash reserves have slowly been dwindling. Since The Corpse and Hound, I've raised 8 characters from level 0 to level 3-5, alternating between the newcomers and the level 6 characters already on my roster. Today, my balance dipped below 100K for the first time in probably 4 months, down from a high near 200K before The Corpse and Hound. Admittedly, I probably make more use of the Sanitarium than most, but it's still a big shift in my finances.

I do think that a recent change made by Red Hook will at least somewhat combat the extreme cost of maintaining a large roster of high-level characters: passive Stress relief. If you didn't know, now characters who stayed in town have a chance to lose a small amount of Stress after a successful mission. While I don't think character level directly influences whether or not a character gets some Stress relief for sitting a mission out, the rewards are definitely skewed in favor of larger rosters since the bigger the roster, the more characters there are with a chance to have their Stress reduced. Of course, players in the endgame comprise the majority of those who have a maxed-out roster. So, yes, we do pay a premium on quirk removal/reinforcement and for emergency Stress relief in the Tavern and Abbey, but we're also in the best position to benefit from the new passive Stress relief mechanic.

While I don't think it entirely offsets the huge cost of maintaining aa roster of high-level characters, I do think that, in the long run, the new passive Stress relief mechanic will save players in the endgame a lot more money than you'd probably expect. Since shelving my level 4-6 characters to build up a fresh squad of level 0s to tackle the first two Cove bosses, basically everyone on my roster except those four rookies is at 20 Stress or less, with many characters at 0, which honestly makes me think that the new mechanic might even be a little bit too good.

tl;dr- Yes, it costs a lot more now to maintain high-level characters, but it probably needed to be done to prevent gold hoarding. The new passive Stress relief mechanic will subtly save you a lot of money in the long run.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Passive stress relief also takes a lot of onus off upgrading the Tavern and Chapel early. Before you did it just so you could pay less to keep people going, now if you rotate characters going in (which is something Red Hook wanted anyway) you can get away with paying nothing and focusing more on weapons, armor, and skills.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I was more hoping for info on what makes the negative traits go aggravated. Is it just a chance per mission thing, or is it after a set time, etc.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Passive stress relief also takes a lot of onus off upgrading the Tavern and Chapel early. Before you did it just so you could pay less to keep people going, now if you rotate characters going in (which is something Red Hook wanted anyway) you can get away with paying nothing and focusing more on weapons, armor, and skills.

Not to mention that if you have a really good low-stress run, you can do a few others while you get quirks/diseases treated, and that team will have recovered fully. No more gambling on whether that 20% stress is worth healing or gambling not to bite you in the rear end. Though I'm curious if mission length will affect the amount recovered, or if it will just be a flat amount per week.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

So....what are some good tricks for getting around the new Octo enemy guarding the exploding corpse? I got megafucked by that twice on hard and really have no idea what to do about the combination when my only option seems to be get lucky and crit multiple times in a turn. Do stuns break guard?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Coolguye posted:

Plus not having to deal with a chance of losing money, bad quirks, characters disappearing, etc.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

Canopus250 posted:

So....what are some good tricks for getting around the new Octo enemy guarding the exploding corpse? I got megafucked by that twice on hard and really have no idea what to do about the combination when my only option seems to be get lucky and crit multiple times in a turn. Do stuns break guard?
AOE attacks get around guard. AOEs tend to do less damage, but if you have enough characters who have AOE attacks that can target the enemy you want to hit, you could get it down before it explodes all over you.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Alright guys, time for a Skirmish mission.

oh ok

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Critical condition party is just s bunch of dames sharing a needle

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

TheRagamuffin posted:

Plus not having to deal with a chance of losing money, bad quirks, characters disappearing, etc.
My Houndmaster has been meditating for three weeks straight and the fucker just won't stop.

He better be feeding the dog at least.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Anyone had good results with the arablest? Had a couple get killed now and with both it felt like they weren't having much effect, like I'd rather have had any class in that slot both times.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

thebardyspoon posted:

Anyone had good results with the arablest? Had a couple get killed now and with both it felt like they weren't having much effect, like I'd rather have had any class in that slot both times.

Were you using them in the 3rd slot or the 4th? Because there are very few classes that are even functional in the 4th slot, which makes Arbalests a pretty easy sell for me.

Arbalests are solid all-rounders, but they really shine in medium/long missions. Use one of your camps early on to pop their camp buffs and they turn into very dangerous attackers, who can also heal in a pinch.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Canopus250 posted:

They currently don't. I asked Red Hook on Twitter if this was intended and they said they're looking into it. As it stands right now, I think breaking Guard with Stun is a great idea. Guardians have high Stun resist, so it's not like it's a guaranteed remedy, but if you get lucky or invest the trinket slots to improve +Stun chance, you should at least get paid off for it.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Well good to know. It was legitimately the first time I ever thought the game was bullshit unfair. The Octo guy went third total in the initiative order, guarded the exploding corpse, and then it exploded on its turn on the 2nd turn. Outside of killing it on the first action or two with a Highwaymen/Graverobber crit there just seemed like no answer to that. I guess in the future I'll just have to run if I see that combination, ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

thebardyspoon posted:

They pair up great with an occultist. I use them to take out those pesky high-dodge back row enemies by using the occultist mark, then its usually a one hit kill. Especially with the trinkets finally starting to be worthwhile, I'm glad I didn't junk all mine. My Occultists and Arbalests are both decked out.

Also the Occultist is really going to come into his own now, the Cove is filled with the gibbering of antediluvian eldritch etc

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 2, 2015