Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yikes, the new Sabrina was rather crushing, wasn't it? The whole "well, they're bad lads so some modicum of justice is done anyway" thing was the most hilariously dark crumb of comfort possible. And Madame Satan is probably scarier than Satan himself at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm honestly surprised that Betty and Veronica are going to be recurring presences. I thought their appearance in #1 was just a little one-off gag, and now we've literally had Archie and Jughead show up.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sentinel Red posted:

And Madame Satan is probably scarier than Satan himself at this point.

Yeah I'm kinda shocked Satan didn't really... do anything. I mean, I don't know what I expected, but it seems odd that he'd just go "What? A dude? gently caress, I'm gone."

Also, I know I'm one of the only people who posts about the Mega Man comics, but man this 2nd Sonic crossover has been just dire.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It does strike me as the work of people who know the comic they're working on is on the Knacker Car and they're just running the clock down to get a pay-check.

It could have been worse, Eyepatch Dood was to have a bigger role before Ian punted the idea from a great height.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 30, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It more strikes me as an idea that was born from good intention only to get hosed up by shooting too high. "Alright guys, we got a good response to our crossover with game versions of characters, let's do it again with the comic versions of our characters... but we need more than just Mega Man and Sonic, we have sooooo many more characters from all these other licenses we own, so let's use all of them and we'll get an even better response!"

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

TwoPair posted:

It more strikes me as an idea that was born from good intention only to get hosed up by shooting too high. "Alright guys, we got a good response to our crossover with game versions of characters, let's do it again with the comic versions of our characters... but we need more than just Mega Man and Sonic, we have sooooo many more characters from all these other licenses we own, so let's use all of them and we'll get an even better response!"

Who are these people out there who even enjoy this sort of thing? I read the Mega Man comics because Mega Man is a thing I get nostalgic about and I like the characters. I'll grudgingly go along with Sonic or whoever stealing the spotlight for a little while but when it gets to the point where there's 50 bajillion different characters being crammed in, the story's not a Mega Man one anymore so why do I care?

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Ian has gone mad with power. Soon he'll do doing holocaust metaphors and making a bunch of lovely recolors. It's not his fault, he seems like a swell dude and from what you be seen he does a good job capturing the fun adventure stuff with snappy dialogue a Sonic comic can be, but the book is cursed

Ian, btw if you read this, any plans on a Sonichu cameo any time ever? Please promise me when the Curse of Sonic takes you you'll just turn the book into Sonichu with better art. Also give Sonichu yellow arms. Tia

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Archie vs. Sharknado was surprisingly bloody. It was funny for what it was, though I think having it drawn by Dan Parent helped nail it down. I feel like there were about 1000 references that went right over my head, though I guess that makes sense since it is a Sharknado tie-in.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Chairman Capone posted:

Archie vs. Sharknado was surprisingly bloody. It was funny for what it was, though I think having it drawn by Dan Parent helped nail it down. I feel like there were about 1000 references that went right over my head, though I guess that makes sense since it is a Sharknado tie-in.

They got rid of Sabrina in a very lazy manner though even by Archie Horror standards, so that's definitely a minus for it(you'd think they'd figure out a better way to keep her from solving everything with her magic than just killing her off lazily and/or marrying her to Cthulhu)

Actually you know that makes me realize something, they really need to nerf Sabrina's power levels, cause this is a consistent issue with Sabrina when she shows up in stuff outside of her own title

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's not really an issue outside the horror line/tie-ins though. Unless you consider learning a lesson about not taking shortcuts or trying to 'fix' your friends by casting a spell turning Jughead into a cat or making Betty fall in love with Ethel 'overpowered'.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I think her powers got taken away or didn't work in the dimension she met Sonic in too

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So Archie #2: Very good!

The conclusion of the Mega Man/Sonic crossover: Very bad!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can someone better versed in Archie tell me if Jughead's secret origin is a new invention? I thought it was interesting, though I'm curious to see how he and Archie became friends given that Lil Forsythe was kind of a dick.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Archie continuity is pretty fluid, but the rich boy backstory is a totally new invention. As is the origin story for his name, which is as good an origin as any that we've seen. As for making friends, most origin stories show Archie and Jughead as having been friends since childhood; sometimes Archie is the first friend Jughead makes upon moving to Riverdale, but it doesn't look like that's what's going on here.

I enjoyed this issue, and I like that Archie still gets into surrealisticaly absurd accidents despite the rest of the book being fairly grounded. Not much to note in the way of references in this issue; the truck Archie has a part time job at near the start is a reference to Bob Bolling, and the only new characters introduced are fairly well known--Mr. Lodge, Veronica, then Moose and Midge at the party.

Argue fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 20, 2015

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So what happened with the Sonic/Megaman crossover and why was it bad? I was waiting for it to end before checking it out since the first crossover was pretty fun so how did they screw it up?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Is there any kind of logical reason why they take months and months to make a collection available, at least digitally? It's been months since I've checked in with Mega Man and they're still on volume 8.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kelp Plankton posted:

So what happened with the Sonic/Megaman crossover and why was it bad? I was waiting for it to end before checking it out since the first crossover was pretty fun so how did they screw it up?

Just my personal opinion here, but I felt like it wasn't as good as the first due to the setup taking so long. When you tease ahead of time all these universes and games coming together, I don't want to see them finally show up in the last two-three issues.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kelp Plankton posted:

I could write way too much but I'll sum it up by saying they tried to do way too much with too few issues. The original worked because it specifically took place in a vacuum where all you needed was a knowledge of the either game series. Sure, Sonic has way too many animal friends and Mega Man has a shitload of Robot Masters making cameo appearances, but if you knew even a little bit about either series, you could grasp what was going on. This also made it easy for a potential new reader to get on board with either comic. The new crossover tries to kind of rehash the original, only they fall into a typical event trap of trying to make every one BIGGER than the next, so this one keeps things "in continuity" as it were, bringing in the non-game cast of the Mega Man and Sonic comics along for the ride. Not an egregious sin, but the character list is already getting stuffed. Then side characters come in, like Mega Man X and all of his crew, and a bunch of Mavericks so Sigma (who is the villain this time) has flunkies to fling at the heroes, and then finally when things are getting really close to the end, somebody remembered that "oh yeah we went and put all these other Sega/Capcom characters on covers didn't we?" and went and introduced so many characters so fast that nobody could possibly give a poo poo about them. By the time Sonic and Mega Man grab the Chaos Emeralds like the last time and end the thing you're just thinking "Finally poo poo makes sense".

Oh wow I ended up writing too much anyway. tl;dr: It tried to do too much and introduced a clusterfuck of characters that killed any momentum before it got started.

edit: oh yeah and spoiler alert the day is saved by none of the like 50 heroes but by one of the Mega Man comic's original villains who causes a time paradox and undoes the whole event. Or, I'll use an appropriate analogy since we're talking about videogame comics and say that the event ends by Sonic '06-ing itself out of existence.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 22, 2015

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So Sonic kisses Mega Man. Gotcha.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is that why the Mega Man comic is ending?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is that why the Mega Man comic is ending?

No it's due to Archie's finances being in the toilet so they had to can both it and Sonic Boom's comic so they can fix things, Mega Man actually has a pretty good chance of coming back from this hiatus(it was actually selling pretty well unlike Boom), they're just being vague about it for some reason, probably to avoid causing a ruckus with the fanbase, so it'll probably be back in a year or two

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, I see. I hadn't been aware that Archie was in a bad way about money.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ah, I see. I hadn't been aware that Archie was in a bad way about money.

They're not doomed or anything, they just made some really dumb mistakes in the last year or two that's cost them a lot

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, this is a hell of a way to find out there's a new Judge Dredd book...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's a Back to the Future comic??

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, Tania del Rio is great and all, but Jem cover and it's not the Holograms hanging out backstage with the Pussycats? What is even the point of doing it then?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So is Afterlife With Archie straight up cancelled or what? The last official word being "um whatever, when it's done or something" in August isn't exactly confidence-inspiring.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

So is Afterlife With Archie straight up cancelled or what? The last official word being "um whatever, when it's done or something" in August isn't exactly confidence-inspiring.

They said the same thing with Sabrina and then they released like 3 issues in a row. It'll be fine.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Archie #3! I like this new Veronica :)

Characters introduced this issue:

Professor Fludsnüt - Very cute; in the classic comics, their science teacher's name is Professor Flutesnoot--a name that they probably decided wouldn't fly in the reboot, for any number of reasons.

Geraldine Grundy - Teaches any number of subjects, depending on what the story calls for.

Bernice Beazley - The cranky old lunchlady/"chef" at school. Usually has a great relationship with Jughead, who (usually) loves her cooking.

On splash page, left: Ethel Muggs - A pain in Jughead's side, Ethel is head over heels for him and often schemes ways to get him to take her out.

Hubert Smithers - The loyal butler and retainer to the Lodge family, Hubert Smithers should be familiar to anyone who reads Afterlife With Archie, which I still believe will return someday.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

So they definitely changed it from Flutesnoot, then. I was wondering about that, like maybe Flutesnoot was a nickname or whatever.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Jughead #1 is out! I don't feel it was as strong as Chip Zdarsky's work on Howard the Duck, but I liked it and will be reading more. I don't have a lot of notes about this issue, so I won't bother, but I'll probably have a bunch to say by next issue, when they pay homage to :siren:Jughead's Time Police:siren:.

If I have one complaint it's that they missed the opportunity to reintroduce Vice Principal Patton Howitzer, a crazy boot camp sarge who I imagine would behave similarly to the new Principal in a less caricatured world. Plus, Howitzer's first appearance also had him replacing Mr. Weatherbee temporarily, so it would have fit together nicely!

Argue fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 8, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So, Penders has been hinting on the twitters that he's going to launch another Lawsuit at Archie.

http://www.tssznews.com/2015/10/20/ken-penders-hints-second-lawsuit-in-tweet/

So the assumed reason is that Archie hasn't been reprinting any comics with 'his' characters or using them in stories. Which I don't think Archie is legally obligated to do, they're only legally obligated to pay him if they do them.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hahahahahahaha, I hope he loses and gets counter-sued. Somehow.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wait.

Is that the insane sonic guy.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

SynthOrange posted:

wait.

Nah, he's staying out of this one.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SynthOrange posted:

wait.

The insane sonic guy who in the first issue of his 'new comic' used a panel from the existing archie sonic comic.

Oh man while I was looking for the image as proof I found this http://so-many-monsters.tumblr.com/post/79530429781/i-have-a-right-to-be-offended-by-this

Here's the image, the echidna in the hat who is either Remington or knuckles or I don't care. What was his reaction to being called out on literal plagerisim? "Do you know how hard it is to do a comic on your own?"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Onmi posted:

So, Penders has been hinting on the twitters that he's going to launch another Lawsuit at Archie.

http://www.tssznews.com/2015/10/20/ken-penders-hints-second-lawsuit-in-tweet/

So the assumed reason is that Archie hasn't been reprinting any comics with 'his' characters or using them in stories. Which I don't think Archie is legally obligated to do, they're only legally obligated to pay him if they do them.

So can we all agree that the world would be a better place if he were to get hit by a train or something, hopefully Archie can stomp this one down fast before SEGA's ire is raised

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So, should've posted about this earlier, but holy gently caress, Waid managed to actually set up a mystery reveal and pay it off after building up that it wasn't the obvious resolution. And still managed to make it make sense that neither Betty nor Archie would HATE the other after it, it's just a big stupid fight, where Archie's mostly in the wrong, but the heightened emotion meant things got made worse. Only issue I have is that the dialogue may have overdone Maria and Sheila steamrolling Betty into the makeover. Particularly the name thing, because it makes it sound a lot like they're doing in spite of what she wants, rather than her gradually getting into it, which I think was the intended response, given the smirk she gets at seeing Archie's reaction to her in the make-up and dress.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Royal kingdom? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Seriously, if you don't know what all this Ken Penders stuff is on about, you are better off not knowing. Here lie monsters.

• Locked thread