Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

TerminalRaptor posted:

The weird thing about YOSPOS is that almost all the regulars are actually pretty smart about some field of IT. It's just they're all jaded as poo poo and this is the venting ground.

I'd trust a serious post here over something in SH/SC, especially since everyone else will call BS on bad advice.

for example I'm qualified to give advice about running a forum because I am good at writing embedded kernels. pretty much the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
over the past few years ad revenue has gone to video not forums afaik so patreon is a good idea if we get a gold account

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lowtax posted:

But if you guys want me to be serious, I have been in the process of getting a bunch of backend poo poo done, I'm just trying to figure out how to raise money or to wait enough time to save enough money to get it done, especially since I'm still paying off the $20,000 it took to get everything working again and repaired when the db crashed last year.

i unironically wish you the best. i like this place :shobon:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
tbh i think that this idea of any sub-$10 amount per year for a membership is kinda dumb, everyone who joins and gets an avatar has already paid three years' worth of that at $5 and people itt somehow think that $2 is reasonable?? sure let's just count on someone sticking around for five years to pay the same amount as the current fee? maybe more people will be signing up but that's an awful gamble if it doesn't immediately pay off.

as for $10/year i think that would honestly scare people off, even people who'd subscribe to a magazine at that rate are going to feel wary about making that kind of commitment to something as ephemeral as an internet joke forum (of course it's not much of a commitment but people aren't entirely rational about this stuff) especially when most of them probably see reddit as offering the same and more for free. i think that :10bux: once strikes the balance between substantial payment and perceived negligibility and is the last thing to think about changing when it comes to monetization.

actual ideas for making money:

1. official something awful let's play channel on youtube. instead of everyone in lp uploading videos individually consolidate them into playlists on SALetsPlayOfficial or whatever you want to call it and get ad money from all of them. of course it won't be a huge amount but it's more than the zero dollars going to the site right now. also the videos should have links to their threads in their descriptions.

2. redesign the frontpage to really emphasize the content instead of cramming everything into tiny thumbnail/description boxes like it's still 1999. ffs even the main feature is a sub-200x200 pixel image + boring block of text and it's by far the most prominent thing on the page. this kind of web design worked when everyone had crts but it's tremendously unappealing compared to anything else in 2015. the content is good (except for video game article, god that's gone down the shitter) but there's nothing enticing about the presentation and that means less traffic/less signups/less money.

3. seriously redesign the goddamn frontpage.

4. bring back forum friday's monday so people will see a good sampling of the forums and want to join, the popular threads box would probably be an ok supplement to that but it's worthless on its own.

5. gbs is the face of the forums, crack down on catchphrases and shitposts there so people aren't completely repulsed by it (fyad is already general, fyad-lites make up for lesser wit with fun/stupid gimmicks & themes, halloween '13 made gbs a completely witless fyad-lite without even a pretense of identity to compensate although it's improved since). basically make these ideas a priority again:

quote:

Before posting, please ask yourself the following question: "Am I making a post which is either funny, informative, or interesting on any level?"

Before replying, please ask yourself the following question: "Does my reply offer any significant advice or help contribute to the conversation in any fashion?"
6. really just promote the forums more on the (sexier) frontpage and make the forums (specifically gbs) worth promoting. and monetize let's play, christ that's the most obvious idea imaginable.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 30, 2015

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
btw lowtax you're absolutely right about patreon being an admission of defeat for your commercial forum and while i would donate to one it would feel palliative at best. :smith:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

btw lowtax you're absolutely right about patreon being an admission of defeat for your commercial forum and while i would donate to one it would feel palliative at best. :smith:

im wondering if a one-off kickstarter campaign to fund a new forums/site redesign would be more palatable.

could lowtax get more money than doobies hot dog stand?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Also, add more things to buy:
  • Gang tags. Right now people just embed them in their custom titles using HTML on tags that are already hosted on SA. What if you let people pay to create new gang tags, and then pay some smaller amount to add them to other users' titles on a per-user basis.
  • Replacement mod stars/plat user icons. Let people pay some amount to temporarily replace the mod stars or plat icon with a custom icon they upload. Maybe 5bux for a week?
  • Custom post stylesheets. Let people upload custom stylesheets to be applied only to their posts.

Don't have any other ideas at the mo.

An ad-driven model just isn't sustainable anymore. More and more people are running adblockers, but people are more than willing to pay for content they enjoy. I think that letting people buy various customizations is one way to do that. People treat their SA accounts as a second identity, and being able to give themselves and their friends gang tags, icons, custom stylesheets for their posts, and other poo poo like that could encourage spending.

Thanks City of Glompton for the glorious sig

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Oh, also, if you actually do get a totally new forums system coded and it's good, you could license it to other websites at some point. Even if SA's standing has diminished somewhat, it still has a decent reputation. You could work out an agreement to split licensing fees with anyone who contributes to the new system.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Lots of good ideas here boys. keep it up :cheerdoge:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Oh, also, if you actually do get a totally new forums system coded and it's good, you could license it to other websites at some point. Even if SA's standing has diminished somewhat, it still has a decent reputation. You could work out an agreement to split licensing fees with anyone who contributes to the new system.

hmm kinda like a ForumOS? heh best beware or else the boys in the POS will unleash some sick flames on that badboy

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Smythe posted:

hmm kinda like a ForumOS? heh best beware or else the boys in the POS will unleash some sick flames on that badboy

you stupid dummy a forum is a softwares not an opritng sytem.

although with radum, maybe the holdup on titan was having it implement all of the POSIX interfaces.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
i think trying to save money to fund a software developer is a bad idea. the amount of money you're going to be able to offer and the work environment makes you second to last right before that awful Penny Arcade SysAdmin job. It also makes it more complicated for someone already working full-time to do it.

like horse mans said theres a lot of people on the forums who are willing to help out by pitching in money or (more importantly) their free time. maybe the forums could survive as a cooperative?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The last totally new forums system I paid for was the awe-inspiring and amazing Titan

:radium:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
whats going on in this thread

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

bump_fn posted:

whats going on in this thread
mangastein

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
isn't eveyne in yospose a six figgues trust fund baby.e where are the angel investors

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
lowtax why would you pay if people are offering to help for free? do you have someone in mind to hire or do you want a contract w/ someone or what?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
anyone who has already posted "ill make the wiki" ti please let me know so i can cite appropriate authors

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
okay I'm looking for somebody who can convert the entire forums into a Cold Fusion service

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Lowtax posted:

okay I'm looking for somebody who can convert the entire forums into a Cold Fusion service

paging the secret service

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i'll make the wiki

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
loading hacking tools :ins:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
promise to make a subforum about pittsburgh and i bet tori will do ur database work for free

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

bump_fn posted:

promise to make a subforum about pittsburgh and i bet tori will do ur database work for free
I'm just going to generate 100 OpenVPN keys and will give them away to the first 100 people to reply to a thread entitled POST UR DICK HERE

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

lowtax why would you pay if people are offering to help for free? do you have someone in mind to hire or do you want a contract w/ someone or what?

Awia posted:

i bet he gets a constant parade of goons going "ill help lowtax" and then running when they actually see what work is involved

TerminalRaptor posted:

i bet he gets a constant parade of goons going "ill help lowtax" and then running when work is involved

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
We've had a lot of people say they're interested, but:

1) I try to be overly cautious about letting random people have access to my backend (MAKE JOKE HERE),
2) A lot of people I've contacted in the past have flaked out, including ones I've paid

It's just hard to vet people and I'm paranoid since, and perhaps you guys haven't noticed this, but there are perhaps one or two people out there that don't particularly like me or these forums, and they might not have our best interests at heart.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Lowtax posted:

We've had a lot of people say they're interested, but:

1) I try to be overly cautious about letting random people have access to my backend (MAKE JOKE HERE),
2) A lot of people I've contacted in the past have flaked out, including ones I've paid

It's just hard to vet people and I'm paranoid since, and perhaps you guys haven't noticed this, but there are perhaps one or two people out there that don't particularly like me or these forums, and they might not have our best interests at heart.

look at this scrub not giving root access to the SA forrusm to FreeDangumRompan.txt

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
tbh i probably wouldn't trust some random poster i happen to share a forum with to actually do something good

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
free goon work is worthless without integration, testing, support, maintenance. some dude coding up a feature that stresses the db and causes it to fail under load, has broken transactional integrity and lots of concurrency edge cases doesn't help anyone. this is not how you run a business.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Considering bringing back everybody's favorite, AdBot, to make some extra revenue to hire an experienced, trustworthy coder perhaps

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Lowtax posted:

Considering bringing back everybody's favorite, AdBot, to make some extra revenue to hire an experienced, trustworthy coder perhaps

do this and for the loving love of god sell adbot spots. the sports forum alone should cover costs easily

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

bump_fn posted:

do this and for the loving love of god sell adbot spots. the sports forum alone should cover costs easily
I may do this if we can find an easy way to quickly create individual css sheets for each forum and target those forums with particular ads

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Lowtax posted:

I may do this if we can find an easy way to quickly create individual css sheets for each forum and target those forums with particular ads

also it prob makes u no income but do more gaming garbage

or set up an ad deal w dontrel

pls

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
i can't wait to see the ads fyad buys for yospos

unironically

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

jony ive aces posted:

i can't wait to see the ads fyad buys for yospos

unironically

(mod approved) replacement style sheet replacements for sub forums. idk, $20 a pop?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

bump_fn posted:

also it prob makes u no income but do more gaming garbage

or set up an ad deal w dontrel

pls
I make like $8 a video, so I dont think I'm going to place too much emphasis on those

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

The Management posted:

free goon work is worthless without integration, testing, support, maintenance. some dude coding up a feature that stresses the db and causes it to fail under load, has broken transactional integrity and lots of concurrency edge cases doesn't help anyone. this is not how you run a business.

I dunno dude maybe those other things are actually goon work too.

surprisingly, people have been able to build things in a cooperative way for years and besides the sometimes toxic communities do pretty well for themselves.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Improbable Lobster posted:

tbh i probably wouldn't trust some random poster i happen to share a forum with to actually do something good

i trust goons implicitly and love them. i suck them off daily, and would trust them to suck me off

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I figured you weren't really into the whole crowdfunding thing due to it appearing like groveling for money; my only suggestion was a funding drive to completely overhaul this POS.

If that hurdle could be cleared (getting the $ to hire help good enough for a long enough time to rebuild the forums/build a new forum and archive the old one) having a forum infrastructure that cost a lot less in bandwidth and hardware to run would help mitigate losses from internet advertising being dead basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

FamDav posted:

I dunno dude maybe those other things are actually goon work too.

surprisingly, people have been able to build things in a cooperative way for years and besides the sometimes toxic communities do pretty well for themselves.

those communities have strong technical leaders.

• Locked thread