Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
You're confusing discussion about it with people being actually surprised by the "twist". If you don't think the billion clues the show gave you and what Elliot actually said to the audience during the GhostDad reveal demonstrate that the show knows you know then I don't know what to tell you, because it was pretty clear.

Like, literally every single scene with Mr. Robot and Elliot interacting with other people is designed in such a way that they could easily be one person, specifically to get people talking about how "Boy it sure seems like he might not be real..." The show's not written by M. Night Shyamalan, it doesn't think it's being super duper clever by revealing something that everyone obviously knows is at the very least a big possibility. It's all about the execution and what it means for Elliot.

VDay fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Sep 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Mr Robot being Elliott was the story's honeypot, which they dangled in front of our faces like the CS30 server. They wanted it to get your attention so that other twists could sneak up on the audience, like Darlene being Elliott's sister and White Rose's fake identity.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
To be fair, goons can be pretty bad at watching TV. I mean, what is this, the local?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Kegslayer posted:

To be fair, goons can be pretty bad at watching TV. I mean, what is this, the local?

I acquit. Shannon was stabbed.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Kegslayer posted:

Were the salt levels authentic?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

apatheticman posted:

The music is really awesome, even if it does sound that Trent Reznor and Atticus Finch should get royalties.

I was sure it was them at first, especially because of the connection to the Girl with a Dragon Tattoo (although it turns out that was the Swedish one, not the American one.)

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

apatheticman posted:

The music is really awesome, even if it does sound that Trent Reznor and Atticus Finch should get royalties.

It's really fun listening to the actual DEF CON hacker convention's music station after watching Mr Robot.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GutBomb posted:

I acquit. Shannon was stabbed.

Ward shot the dog.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Watched the whole show last week and enjoyed it quite a bit, but to go back to the Coney Island questions a couple of pages back:

Coney Island was one of the first sort of destination "amusement parks" in the country and was already kind of scuzzy in the 1960s and fell into utter disrepair in the 1970s well into the 1990s. One of the only 'legacy' rides left from the era of non-scuzz is the Wonder Wheel, the ferris wheel in Mr. Robot. One of the things that separates Coney Island from what people think of as amusement parks is that it isn't all owned by Disney/Six Flags/whomever, but is basically just a big long row of properties along the boardwalk that were owned by various different companies.

While it was a Warriors style hellhole for awhile, in the 1990s a group of investors wanted to buy up all the property and revitalize it, which fell apart for a number of reasons but in the end resulted in one of the other long-standing rides (The Thunderbolt) getting demolished and a minor league baseball park getting built on one end. In the early 2000s a group called THOR Equities started trying to buy up the whole drat thing, and their plan was to build a real modern theme park with fancy hotels and so on. People rallied against this, and a lot of the traditional Coney Island structure still exists, though now it's dotted with less moderately less scuzzy pockets of rides/games, an Applebee's, some high-concept candy store, etc.

Anyway, there are still a lot of borderline derelict buildings in little warrens in the areas that never got bought, so that part of it wasn't terribly implausible. I was initially taken aback at the whole "Wonder Wheel operating randomly off-season" because while the area is pretty empty off-season, it's not a private abandoned park or anything; there are plenty of residential buildings within a few blocks of the Wonder Wheel, and even in say November, on any given morning you'll find a sparse but significant number of old Russian couples and tourists and fishermen on the boardwalk. People would have absolutely seen and noticed that the Wonder Wheel was up and running at an unusual time.

But then again, I'm sure people did notice that when they were filming Mr. Robot and either didn't care or shrugged and assumed it was some film crew or something. I'm willing to write off that's why the people getting brunch at the place 500 feet away on the boardwalk in the fictive world didn't do anything either.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Rarity posted:

Ward shot the dog.

But he sure as hell wasn't banging May!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Edge & Christian posted:

Watched the whole show last week and enjoyed it quite a bit, but to go back to the Coney Island questions a couple of pages back:

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write this out. I always wondered about the disparity between how I thought it was portrayed in media vs. reality.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

I thought the show started out great but then got ruined when it was revealed that Mr. Robot is Elliott. It was one of those things that I wish was not the case because it's so cliche. People in this very thread called it.

In fact it went progressively downhill over the last several episodes:

1. Mr. Robot is Elliott's father. (yawn)
2. Mr. Robot isn't real. (yawwwwn)
3. Mr. Robot is actually Elliott! Wow!!! (Zzzzz...)

I dunno, I felt that the writers had something great in their hands and somehow botched it. The finale kind of fell flat, and I probably won't bother watching the next season.

Um, cliche?

Please name more than 2 other pieces of media in which a schizophrenic was hallucinating other characters without the viewer (initially) knowing?

All I've got is Fight Club and A Beautiful Mind.

e: I suppose I should say mainstream media. It's not really a cliche if a couple random unknown arthouse or international flicks happened to do the same thing.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

ViggyNash posted:

Um, cliche?

Please name more than 2 other pieces of media in which a schizophrenic was hallucinating other characters without the viewer (initially) knowing?

All I've got is Fight Club and A Beautiful Mind.

e: I suppose I should say mainstream media. It's not really a cliche if a couple random unknown arthouse or international flicks happened to do the same thing.

The Machinist and Identity.

EDIT: oh, and Shutter Island. And Secret Window.

vseslav.botkin fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 29, 2015

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Anyone else catch not one but two Dark Souls references in the season?

Not that it matters either way, but why is it assumed that Whiterose is a transgender woman? There's only two scenes with the character, how are we supposed to know which is their real self?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

What were the references? I didn't catch them

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

Um, cliche?

Yeah, cliche.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

vseslav.botkin posted:

The Machinist and Identity.

EDIT: oh, and Shutter Island. And Secret Window.

I forgot Shutter Island. I don't remember Secret Window being centered on that conceit, although it's been quite a while since I saw it and I don't remember it well. Haven't heard of the other two though.

It doesn't feel like one to me. I don't think there's been enough similar instances of it to justify calling it a cliche, because each instance has been done really drat well in their own right. You could argue that Mr. Robot is too close to Fight Club to be considered a unique instance, I suppose.

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!

ViggyNash posted:

I forgot Shutter Island. I don't remember Secret Window being centered on that conceit, although it's been quite a while since I saw it and I don't remember it well. Haven't heard of the other two though.

Definitely watch The Machinest. Its one of Christian Bale's best movies. Very similar to American Psycho in terms of his character intensity. Plus the transformation in his body between this movie and Batman Begins is insane. I thought it was CGI at first, but its all legit.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Anyone else catch not one but two Dark Souls references in the season?

Not that it matters either way, but why is it assumed that Whiterose is a transgender woman? There's only two scenes with the character, how are we supposed to know which is their real self?

In an interview (one of the Grantland podcasts, I think), Sam used female pronouns to refer to Whiterose, and said that her male identity at the party was her disguise.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

HorseRenoir posted:

In an interview (one of the Grantland podcasts, I think), Sam used female pronouns to refer to Whiterose, and said that her male identity at the party was her disguise.

Obviously it doesn't make the character one but just for those wondering it's b.d wong, a male actor.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

adrenaline_junket posted:

Definitely watch The Machinest. Its one of Christian Bale's best movies. Very similar to American Psycho in terms of his character intensity. Plus the transformation in his body between this movie and Batman Begins is insane. I thought it was CGI at first, but its all legit.

Oh was that the movie that Bale went anemic for? Sure, I'll take a look someday.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

CloFan posted:

What were the references? I didn't catch them

There's a Dark Seoul game in the arcade, and Mr. Robot says something to the effect of "evil Corp and their dark souls" during one of the last fsociety videos.

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!

ViggyNash posted:

Oh was that the movie that Bale went anemic for? Sure, I'll take a look someday.

Thats the one. He shed a lot of weight by eating a daily diet of celery and tuna for 3 months. He was pretty gaunt. Which was a massive feat considering how bulky he'd been for batman.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

adrenaline_junket posted:

Thats the one. He shed a lot of weight by eating a daily diet of celery and tuna for 3 months. He was pretty gaunt. Which was a massive feat considering how bulky he'd been for batman.

And a few apples.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

HorseRenoir posted:

There's also an interview with BD Wong, talking about what went into his decision to play a trans woman, and his talk with the director about it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I don't really care if it's been done before because I like the way it's done here better. Fight Club was great, but the whole mental illness thing was basically an afterthought/excuse for the plot twist. Plus the movie kind of low-key hated all its characters and treated them like jokes. Mr Robot weaves mental illness into everything Elliot does and it treats its characters like people. In my book, that puts it ahead of the movie (and most other shows, to be honest).

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

Spergatory posted:

I don't really care if it's been done before because I like the way it's done here better. Fight Club was great, but the whole mental illness thing was basically an afterthought/excuse for the plot twist. Plus the movie kind of low-key hated all its characters and treated them like jokes. Mr Robot weaves mental illness into everything Elliot does and it treats its characters like people. In my book, that puts it ahead of the movie (and most other shows, to be honest).

This is exactly where I am. I don't care if goons can point out that EVERY SINGLE plot point is ripped from something else, I like the way it's been put together here. I like the actors, I like the pace, I like the show. Whether any single part of it isn't COMPLETELY ORIGINAL LOL, I couldn't give two fucks.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

What bothered me wasn't the fact that the plot twist was ripped from something else, but rather that it was so incredibly obvious after a few episodes (with many goons in this very thread calling it) that it completely fell flat.

I would contrast that with Bruce Willis's movie The Sixth Sense, which was incredibly well written so the twist at the end came as a total shock that made you saw the movie in a completely different light.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Odysseus had multiple personalities. He was a cyclops, some sirens, and a whirlpool. Fight Club is just the most popular derivation of that.

But seriously, you ecclesiastic assholes, it's easy to call everything a derivation just because it shares 1-2 poignant qualities. I think it's more honest to say they are both original and share discussion on certain topics (multiple personality disorder, aversion to capitalism being the biggest).

It's a good show, and I like it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Benson Cunningham posted:

It's a good show, and I like it.

how dare you

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

enraged_camel posted:

What bothered me wasn't the fact that the plot twist was ripped from something else, but rather that it was so incredibly obvious after a few episodes (with many goons in this very thread calling it) that it completely fell flat.

I would contrast that with Bruce Willis's movie The Sixth Sense, which was incredibly well written so the twist at the end came as a total shock that made you saw the movie in a completely different light.

It was supposed to be obvious. Elliot even commented that everyone else already knew. It wasn't meant to be a plot twist. Elliot finding out for himself was the dramatic point of that scene. The whole time you were supposed to be 80% sure that Mr Robot was just Elliot.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

but mr robot not being real wasn't the true plot twist...

E: As stated above and several other times in this thread, it wasn't supposed to be a surprise.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Not sure if that's true. There were scenes that were intentionally designed to give the viewer the impression that Elliott and Mr. Robot are two different people. One such scene is where Elliott is in the data center planting the raspberry pi into the A/C control panel, and Mr. Robot is sitting outside in the car with the two team members. If they were the same person, how can they be in two places at once?

Another is where Mr. Robot is in the car with Tyrell and Tyrell threatens to share Mr. Robot's secret with everyone, and the viewer is supposed to think he means telling the fsociety crew that Elliott is Mr. Robot's son and Darlene is his daughter.

Yes, when Elliott realizes he's Mr. Robot, he accuses the audience of knowing about it the whole time. But that comes across more like the ramblings of a mentally ill person rather than a serious, literal accusation.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Man, it was telegraphed pretty heavily. Sure, there were scenes for misdiretion and to add doubt, but I really don't think it was meant to be a 'big twist'. It wasn't even played that way when it was revealed, it was more an an affirmation for the viewer.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
This show is even better the second time around.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

There's a Grantland podcast where Sam Esmail talks about how the 'twist' wasn't meant to be shocking. The audience being in on it makes the reveal more affecting. It's supposed to be about how Elliot reacts to the collapse of his worldview, rather than the fact that it happens at all.

Also, the accusation is serious one from a seriously ill person.

fancy stats fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 29, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

enraged_camel posted:

Not sure if that's true. There were scenes that were intentionally designed to give the viewer the impression that Elliott and Mr. Robot are two different people. One such scene is where Elliott is in the data center planting the raspberry pi into the A/C control panel, and Mr. Robot is sitting outside in the car with the two team members. If they were the same person, how can they be in two places at once?
Because that's how Elliot imagined it. He thinks Mr. Robot is sitting in the van, listening to the two team members just like Elliot is listening to them through his earpiece, and so that's what we see. Look back in the thread and you can see that the scene did nothing to deter any notions about Mr. Robot being Elliot, because it's intentionally designed to make the viewer rationalize Mr. Robot's existence. Think about it. How can Mr. Robot follow Elliot into the building? "He" can't. "He" had to stay in the car.

enraged_camel posted:

Another is where Mr. Robot is in the car with Tyrell and Tyrell threatens to share Mr. Robot's secret with everyone, and the viewer is supposed to think he means telling the fsociety crew that Elliott is Mr. Robot's son and Darlene is his daughter.
...No? The viewer doesn't know any of that at that point. The reveal of Darlene being Elliot's sister, and Mr. Robot being "his dad," comes at the end of that episode, and the whole delusive psychotic nature of the revelation merely reinforces the idea that Mr. Robot isn't real.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

enraged_camel posted:

Not sure if that's true.

We literally just had this conversation a page ago dude.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

And to make this point yet again, you have to keep in mind that the show was originally written as a movie, and has a set story and ending. This is just the first act. This was just the introduction of characters and the explanation of Elliot's mindset before the real story begins.

E: I'm sure the mr robot being his father thing was supposed to be a big twist, and was for most people I would think, and definitely Darlene was a shock, but Mr Robot not being real definitely wasn't hidden at all, at least not in any meaningful way.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I actually really like that the finale didn't make an effort to show the scope of the fallout of the hack. It would have been too much with everything else going on, and they maintained the dizzyness of the situation by focusing tightly on Elliot's daze.

Pretty cool artistic choice. It must have been tempting to go completely in the opposite direction for the last episode of the season, eg literally the ending to Fight Club.

• Locked thread