Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Binary Badger posted:

BTW, that particular laptop can run OS X 10.6.8, Snow Leopard.. ah but it costs $30 to order it from Apple, or $29 from Amazon. You said you didn't want to spend any money, so maybe beg around for someone with a Snow Leopard retail installer?

So, a quick update...I managed to get the disc out of the drive and it's a 10.6.7 install disc. I can boot from it but it refuses to install, just giving a generic "This cant be installed on this computer" ( I'm paraphrasing the error) type of error, nothing really specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

flosofl posted:

I thought someone said earlier it was because it takes so drat long to download it in China that people go looking for local sources.

I believe that is the case. Also I think some people develop software who do no have a Apple Developer account.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mr. Clark2 posted:

So, a quick update...I managed to get the disc out of the drive and it's a 10.6.7 install disc. I can boot from it but it refuses to install, just giving a generic "This cant be installed on this computer" ( I'm paraphrasing the error) type of error, nothing really specific.

It's probably an install disk for a mini or a iMac or even a different model of MacBook sometimes.

They used to bundle them that way. When you bought the laptop, the bundled disks would only work on laptops (sometimes only that model). It's usually labeled as such.

The full retail disk was the only one that could install on everything.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mr. Clark2 posted:

If I recall correctly, some OS X install discs came with certain models of Macs and weren't compatible with all models as a generic install disc. That disc might be from an iMac or something and the previous owner of the Macbook tried using it and gave up.

You probably need a generic Snow Leopard disc. I would just pirate it and put it on a thumbdrive or something.

edit: beaten grr

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Just remember, the full retail Snow Leopard installer was OS X 10.6.3. Usually, as soon as you installed this and got on a network, Software Update would report that it could download a combo update to 10.6.8, which is what you want to do.

Be advised that it'll never be able to be upgraded past 2 GB of RAM, its memory controller won't recognize any more than that.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Thanks everyone. My wife has a friend that works at an Apple store so I'm going to check with her to see if she can get a disc from one of their genius bar people.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
For some reason the "bless tool" is unable to set my boot camp disk to be my boot disk, according to the error message I get in the startup disk control panel. I can still use the bootcamp disk by holding alt, but should I be worried about this?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

wdarkk posted:

For some reason the "bless tool" is unable to set my boot camp disk to be my boot disk, according to the error message I get in the startup disk control panel. I can still use the bootcamp disk by holding alt, but should I be worried about this?

Are you running 10.11?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

NeuralSpark posted:

Are you running 10.11?

No.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

wdarkk posted:

Here's what I'm using within Alfred 2 to boot into Windows

code:
do shell script "bless -mount /Volumes/Windows -legacy -setBoot" password "OMGWTFBBQ!" with administrator privileges
do shell script "shutdown -r now" password "OMGWTFBBQ!" with administrator privileges
Note the '-legacy' switch, and the fact that my Bootcamp volume name has no spaces in it.

Edit: This doesn't actually help you much, and I may in fact be an idiot. :)

binarysmurf fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 24, 2015

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I want to use Finder to search inside a folder to find all filenames that contain 2015 and that end with the extension .ai. Can I?

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

jackpot posted:

I want to use Finder to search inside a folder to find all filenames that contain 2015 and that end with the extension .ai. Can I?

Start typing "ai" or "Illustrator" and select Kinds > Adobe Illustrator Document, then start typing "2015" and select "Name matches: 2015".

Depressing Box fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 25, 2015

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Anyone know what's the best (or have a favorite) Mac program to use to convert a MOV file to a MP4?

Most of the time, the MP4 turns out to be darker and look washed out. It's like that using Handbrake, Final Cut Pro, Converter, and Sorenson Squeeze. It appears to be a common issue. http://larryjordan.com/articles/compressor-x264-improve-video/

Only on Aimersoft for some reason does it not change the brightness and colors at all, but even on the highest setting it's a little blurry. The quality is still lovely.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Anyone know what's the best (or have a favorite) Mac program to use to convert a MOV file to a MP4?

Most of the time, the MP4 turns out to be darker and look washed out. It's like that using Handbrake, Final Cut Pro, Converter, and Sorenson Squeeze. It appears to be a common issue. http://larryjordan.com/articles/compressor-x264-improve-video/

Only on Aimersoft for some reason does it not change the brightness and colors at all, but even on the highest setting it's a little blurry. The quality is still lovely.

Depends on what's in the MOV file. If it's just your standard MP4 stream, almost anything that lets you get at the different media components will let you extract them rather than go through a regular conversion process — hell, I think even QuickTime has a pass-through save option these days.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Super Ninja Fish posted:

If the video is H.264, you can use Subler to move it to a m4v/mp4 file without reencoding. If not, you could try ffmpeg.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Is there a way to completely disable mouse acceleration and mouse scroll inertia but leave the trackpad settings intact?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

kiwid posted:

Is there a way to completely disable mouse acceleration and mouse scroll inertia but leave the trackpad settings intact?

I use Smoothmouse for exactly this.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Slowhanded posted:

I use Smoothmouse for exactly this.

Ah great, it's working for acceleration, however, scroll inertia is still there. Anything else you recommend?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Friendly reminder to do your backups tonight with El Capitan releasing tomorrow.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

SaintFu posted:

If the video is H.264, you can use Subler to move it to a m4v/mp4 file without reencoding. If not, you could try ffmpeg.

It is H.264. Sublet works for getting video. But it leaves the audio alone. It says "Sound track PCM has not been muxed." Is that normal? What do I do for the audio?

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Super Ninja Fish posted:

It is H.264. Sublet works for getting video. But it leaves the audio alone. It says "Sound track PCM has not been muxed." Is that normal? What do I do for the audio?

I’ve not seen that before, myself. What format is the audio?

One thing to try (if you haven’t already):
Open Subler
File>New
File> Import>File…
Navigate to the file you’re trying to convert. Subler will then list the tracks in the source file and options for handling them (passthrough, convert to AAC, etc.)

Subler also has an update just today, so that’s something as well.

Good luck.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
e: whoops, wrong

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

oh god, it's.... THE DOOOO!
Is there a way to easily go from GM to the final release today? I know its technically the final release but I have a feeling being under the GM (and beta) track will just get me beta updates...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Supposedly just run today's release over the GM candidate and it should be fine.

Note that nobody can confirm this until the Final Golden Pristine Supercalifragilistic Uh Uh We're Not Changing It Until 10.11.1 Version gets released.

I'm refreshing App Store like nobody's business and aint poo poo happening.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Binary Badger posted:

I'm refreshing App Store like nobody's business and aint poo poo happening.

I've seen the 6PM UTC mentioned as when it's going up, though no idea where it came from.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rekka posted:

I know its technically the final release
It's really not. There's a very good chance that we get a new build number today.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

GokieKS posted:

I've seen the 6PM UTC mentioned as when it's going up, though no idea where it came from.

Yea, that's what I'm expecting. Apple's OS updates always seem to come down the tube around that time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

enojy posted:

Yea, that's what I'm expecting. Apple's OS updates always seem to come down the tube around that time.
We don't actually have good recent precedents for that. Yosemite was released after the October media event last year around 2PM Pacific. Before that I believe they were releasing following their earnings call -- again in the afternoon. iOS releases are usually in the AM though.

Basically who knows.

edit: Sure enough, 10AM Pacific rolls around and Apple trolls us with an iOS update.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 30, 2015

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'm still on Mavericks (plan on updating to El Capitan though) and I was pleasantly surprised to see that they're letting me download Safari 9 when 8 was exclusive to Yosemite.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren: IT'S UP!!! :siren:

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 30, 2015

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Huh. I must have checked just when it went up. Here's hoping it doesn't blow up my workstation.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Early reports are that it's 15A284, so GM Candidate users need to reinstall (unless Apple pushes some sort of delta, not likely).

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

awesome. I'm not upgrading for at least a few days until I read about potential real world issues with it, but I'm glad it's out there so those reports can start coming in.

EditL I'm not getting a big message under App Updates asking me to upgrade like I did with Yosemite, it's just blank there now. I can access the page in the store just fine though.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thauros posted:

awesome. I'm not upgrading for at least a few days until I read about potential real world issues with it, but I'm glad it's out there so those reports can start coming in.
I mean it was in public beta all summer, so many "real world" issues were found already.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Downloading...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Safari 9.0 is available for everyone not upgrading their OS. Man, it is super fast. And I don't mean snappier, either. FAST.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So if M A S is not showing me an El Cap update... do I find it somewhere else or do I just wait for it to propagate?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Do a search for 'os x' and it should show up.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Feenix posted:

So if M A S is not showing me an El Cap update... do I find it somewhere else or do I just wait for it to propagate?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1018109117?mt=12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Binary Badger posted:

Do a search for 'os x' and it should show up.

Doy. Thanks. I don't use the M A S much. Forgot about that very obvious thing.