Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

3025's pretty much the core stuff but if the plot goes where I suspect it might finding a Star League Cache with a gauss rifle or w/e wouldn't be out of the question.

Am I right in "Core stuff" being the following?:
S, M, L lasers
S, M, L pulse lasers.
PPC (just the vanilla flavor)
AC: 2, 5, 10, 20
SRM: 2, 4, 6, maybe SSRM 2? Infernos?
LRM: 5, 10, 15, 20, no specialty ammunition or Artemis?
Flamers

Is Ferro Fib and EndoSteel around? DHS I'm pretty sure are.

Most of my knowledge of Btech is all very specific Clan era stuff, so trying to go in and crop stuff out in my mind is tripping me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Zaodai posted:

Am I right in "Core stuff" being the following?:
S, M, L lasers
S, M, L pulse lasers.
PPC (just the vanilla flavor)
AC: 2, 5, 10, 20
SRM: 2, 4, 6, maybe SSRM 2? Infernos?
LRM: 5, 10, 15, 20, no specialty ammunition or Artemis?
Flamers

Is Ferro Fib and EndoSteel around? DHS I'm pretty sure are.

Most of my knowledge of Btech is all very specific Clan era stuff, so trying to go in and crop stuff out in my mind is tripping me up.

No pulse
no streak
no ferro
no endo.

Now those do exist as "star league" tech but thats not quite core 3025.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Probably easiest.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Thanks TMM, I'll check it when I get home. Sarna is blocked at work, and I've got a gentleman's agreement with the boss man to not bypass their stuff during business hours.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Zaodai posted:

Thanks TMM, I'll check it when I get home. Sarna is blocked at work, and I've got a gentleman's agreement with the boss man to not bypass their stuff during business hours.

One sec...

quote:

Energy Weapons:

Small Laser
Medium Laser
Large Laser
Flamer
PPC

Missile Weapons:

LRM-5
LRM-10
LRM-15
LRM-20

SRM-2
SRM-4
SRM-6

Ballistic Weapons:

Autocannon/2
Autocannon/5
Autocannon/10
Autocannon/20

Machine Gun

Melee Weapons:

Hatchet

Apologies for the lovely c/p formatting.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I think a PTN authored novella makes much more sense.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I really like the style they've got going on in their concept art. It feels like it's taking Battletech to an interesting place, really committing to the vaguely space-medieval vibe, feudal armies and mechs as precious heirlooms, that sort of thing. The Marik picture of what looks like some noble scion inheriting their mech at a ceremony really sells the feel.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There's a couple of level 1 specialty ammo types as well, inferno SRMs and Flak AC rounds. No DHS so infernos are much more dangerous.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
According to the kickstarter, they are straight up importing mech assets from MechWarrior Online. So there's your mech list right there.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Erd posted:

According to the kickstarter, they are straight up importing mech assets from MechWarrior Online. So there's your mech list right there.

Some of them. They actually have the confirmed 'mechs (so far) in the FAQ at the bottom:

LIGHT: Locust, Commando, Spider, Firestarter, Jenner, Panther, Raven, Urbanmech

MEDIUM: Cicada, Blackjack, Vindicator, Centurion, Enforcer, Hunchback, Trebuchet, Griffin, Kintaro, Shadowhawk, Wolverine

HEAVY: Dragon, Quickdraw, Catapult, JagerMech, Thunderbolt, Cataphract, Grasshopper, Orion

ASSAULT: Awesome, Victor, Zeus, BattleMaster, Stalker, Highlander, Banshee, King Crab, Atlas

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Zaodai posted:

MEDIUM: Centurion

is a wrecking ball 3025-era? It'd better be :colbert:

either way you bet your rear end my pilot for my first playthrough will be named Jag Cordeaux. Ravager, if I need a callsign. It's happening.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Looks like pretty much everything they have that isn't from the clans.

Edit: or that recently announced pack with the crab and the mauler, which probably isn't modelled yet.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Psion posted:

I'm sad there isn't an "expanded melee options" reward tier.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

apostateCourier posted:

I'm sad there isn't an "expanded melee options" reward tier.

you and me both. No Charger in that list ... but we can hope it gets added! if so, that's an immediate "gonna happen" for my lance. :hfive:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'm pretty much hoping that after it releases they do incremental content/campaign packs and introduce more SLDF/3039 stuff, then 3050 stuff, and so on.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gwaihir posted:

I'm pretty much hoping that after it releases they do incremental content/campaign packs and introduce more SLDF/3039 stuff, then 3050 stuff, and so on.

I'd say the odds a pretty good that if this one is well received, they'll release a few more like they did with Shadowrun. No reason not to, and it'll let them utilize their experience in the new engine after they've already paid the upfront costs for learning it the first time.

Unless this crashes and burns, we'll at the very least get a Clan version at some point. A small scale Mercenary focused game makes a good starting point, ESPECIALLY if we get to the tier with the expanded campaign and mission generation. They could then consider scaling it up afterwards for a Succession War style campaign, or a Clan invasion angle, etc.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My designs will never be in a non-open source videogame because nobody likes the era they're in.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

My designs will never be in a non-open source videogame because nobody likes the era they're in.

But they'll live on in our hearts.

And more importantly, in that kick rear end av I got you.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It's the cool new art from MechWarrior Online except transplanted into a tabletop-style game with what will likely be a Mercenaries style single player campaign being made by a proven developer instead of Paul Inouye.

I'm pumped.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I love a lot of the new designs, I just don't have the money to keep up-to-date on the fluff so I'm an era behind.

You did the redesign of the Legacy, right? I can't check from work but I think that was part of the reason I picked it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
My favorite era of Battletech, chock-full of terribly non-optimized designs and clunky, jury-rigged tech, when a couple of engine hits didn't just bone you in the battle but could conceivably doom your pilot and all his descendants to poverty, when "heat-neutral" meant "only firing a third of your weapons," when the AC/20 was king of the battlefield and the Machine Gun was everywhere because at least people still remembered how to build those.

gently caress yes. Take my money.

(I so wish I had the extra hundred bucks to blow on getting some random House Marik swag, but alas...)

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I wonder if you've ever done a redesign of the Celestials-not that they need them-they're some of the best looking machines that Battletech has IMO-but just as a comparison.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Psion posted:

either way you bet your rear end my pilot for my first playthrough will be named Jag Cordeaux. Ravager, if I need a callsign. It's happening.

It's really the archetype of the "trooper medium" that formed the backbone of armies in the 4SW. Back when lights were fast movers and flankers rather than C3 spotters or suicide sleds.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

My favorite era of Battletech, chock-full of terribly non-optimized designs and clunky, jury-rigged tech, when a couple of engine hits didn't just bone you in the battle but could conceivably doom your pilot and all his descendants to poverty, when "heat-neutral" meant "only firing a third of your weapons," when the AC/20 was king of the battlefield and the Machine Gun was everywhere because at least people still remembered how to build those.

I'm interested to see how the mech customization is going to end up working. I'm sure it will be hilariously imbalanced, as is the nature of custom mechs, but still. I'm sure I won't be the only one that if we end up with the expanded campaign ends up running an all stock (or codified variant, etc) campaign. It'll be interesting to try and work around an unoptimized mishmash of weapons rather than just boating whatever is best.

I do share your soft spot for the AC20 being king, though. Having it be a genuine "oh poo poo!" type weapon is nice.

Unrelated to the game itself, I hope they release some stats on what percentage of each noble house regalia is requested for the 125+ tiers. It'd be interesting to see. I was surprised (slightly) to see all of their official stuff representing it in Combine colors.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Zaodai posted:

I'm interested to see how the mech customization is going to end up working. I'm sure it will be hilariously imbalanced, as is the nature of custom mechs, but still. I'm sure I won't be the only one that if we end up with the expanded campaign ends up running an all stock (or codified variant, etc) campaign. It'll be interesting to try and work around an unoptimized mishmash of weapons rather than just boating whatever is best.

I do share your soft spot for the AC20 being king, though. Having it be a genuine "oh poo poo!" type weapon is nice.

Unrelated to the game itself, I hope they release some stats on what percentage of each noble house regalia is requested for the 125+ tiers. It'd be interesting to see. I was surprised (slightly) to see all of their official stuff representing it in Combine colors.

see, I'd try to go for a stock only run, only to find myself turning all of my mechs into abominations because their guns got destroyed and I couldn't be arsed to actually buy replacement parts. So instead I use whatever salvage is lying around, and I'm pretty sure I can fit a king crab arm on a hunchback.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
One of the concept pictures at least looked like the normal Battletech Mechlab, customizing a stock Atlas AS7-D.

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
All I'm trying to decide now is if I want to get some Steiner stuff or all the Steiner stuff. House loyalty might interesting to see. I've always wondered how many people liked Davion since they seemed to be the generic good guy faction to a lot of people.

I actually did try to make a tech 1 Berserker once, replacing the MASC with jumpjets. It fought pretty well as long as no one moved too much, had to bring it down to 3/5 to get it all to work.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

Weisman is a Kurita player, IIRC.

So am I When I'm not trolling with Jade Falcon

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 30, 2015

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

^^^^
I'm not making GBS threads on them for it. I just kind of assumed they'd see the Davions as the favored sons (or Suns) of the setting.

Corponation posted:

All I'm trying to decide now is if I want to get some Steiner stuff or all the Steiner stuff. House loyalty might interesting to see. I've always wondered how many people liked Davion since they seemed to be the generic good guy faction to a lot of people.

I actually did try to make a tech 1 Berserker once, replacing the MASC with jumpjets. It fought pretty well as long as no one moved too much, had to bring it down to 3/5 to get it all to work.

Isn't there just one level of House swag? You get all of it at $125+, or none of it?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there is a bunch of Davion love, a strong showing of Steiner and Kurita, and then assorted Liao and Marik riff-raff.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 30, 2015

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

warhammer651 posted:

see, I'd try to go for a stock only run, only to find myself turning all of my mechs into abominations because their guns got destroyed and I couldn't be arsed to actually buy replacement parts. So instead I use whatever salvage is lying around, and I'm pretty sure I can fit a king crab arm on a hunchback.

See this? This is the sort of attitude I like when it comes to Battletech. None of this 'super optimized, highly expensive twink mech' designs that you see pretty much everyone make. Instead just strap on whatever you have at hand and make it work.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, but has the ever been a Battletech video game that didn't encourage twinking the gently caress out of your mechs?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, but has the ever been a Battletech video game that didn't encourage twinking the gently caress out of your mechs?

Mechwarrior Online doesn't encourage it, they're just too poo poo at their jobs to be able to stop it.

The core problem is that if you allow mech customization at all, the player will be able to make improvements over canon designs, because canon designs were put together by braindead monkeys. At least in a single player setting you're not really hurting anybody with the customization options, as you're just beating up on the AI. In anything that has a PvP mechanic, then customization becomes an arms race. If you don't have an optimal design, then you're crippling yourself for no reason. Any amount of customization is going to inherently be moving in the direction of optimization, and then it just becomes a matter of where you draw the line. Then all you've done is said "Okay, everybody twink your mechs as close as you can to this arbitrary number!".

That's part of the reason in MW4 I played in a stock league for organized battles. You ended up with some awful, awful crap at times, but at least the enemy did too.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The canon designs make a lot more sense when you realize the Star League was trolling the hell out of the successor states.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm completely down with stock-only, even if it means being haunted by the ghosts of AC/5s past. There's rules for limiting customization in StratOps and I can see `Mech customization being similarly hamstrung for the purposes of the game, but there's a lot to be said for mercs working with the crap hand they're dealt.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I love a lot of the new designs, I just don't have the money to keep up-to-date on the fluff so I'm an era behind.

You did the redesign of the Legacy, right? I can't check from work but I think that was part of the reason I picked it.

I didn't but it's a solid design as it stands.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I suspect that in this videogame, not all of the canon weapons will be as terrible as they are in, uh, canon. Because they actually can tweak things, it might make sense from a game design perspective to make some of your choices be actually difficult, instead of having like six optimal choices and then a bunch of garbage trap choices whenever you modify a mech.

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.

Zaodai posted:

Isn't there just one level of House swag? You get all of it at $125+, or none of it?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there is a bunch of Davion love, a strong showing of Steiner and Kurita, and then assorted Liao and Marik riff-raff.

Oh I what I meant was just getting the game and the wallpaper, or going all the way to get the hat and pin and all that as well.

It is hard to predict, when I played megamek on a campaign server most of the people seemed to be Liao players.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm okay with customization but it should follow the StratOps rules which are supposed to represent how hard it is to do successfully. Remember that the "custom" design rules most people are using aren't for customization, they're for making your own design that came like that off a factory line. Actual customization takes months and has actual requirements for balancing the machine.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Guys, it's right in the Kickstarter.

This isn't going to be a port of tabletop, they're going to do whatever they need to to make the game fun and enjoyable and that's a stance I can get behind.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'll be interested to see what they come up with in that regard, since this is really the first time(?) we've ever seen a a potentially ground up re-work by the same people that came up with the original game, set in the same most basic tech era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

This is something I was hoping for, for a while. I like that they're upfront about talking trash about other less-than-stellar Battletech products that have happened recently, that's a cherry on top. If only it were more flexible than it will probably be in the end, but hopefully this goes well and expansions and utilities materialize.

• Locked thread