Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

flakeloaf posted:

The new search engine (which manages to somehow be worse than the old one) also filters anything that isn't a document by default, so if you're looking for a unit's home page you aren't finding it unless you click some boxes. I'm confident your average client will not figure this out.

Yeah you're confidence is factual. I am learning this for the first time from your post. I am not a clever man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

BIG NORTH posted:

Yeah you're confidence is factual. I am learning this for the first time from your post. I am not a clever man.

Your average user doesn't need more than one hand to count the number of times they've been able to find anything remotely useful using search and consequently now avoids it at all costs. If using search is your last resort for finding something, just assume you won't be able to find it.

Another super awesome thing is when they put all-caps urls in messages that actually turn out to be case-sensitive. Why even bother?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So how does this new (to me) Veteran's Charter work? Lump sums vs pensions and more programs but less cash?

Two years of university paid out but not the whole thing?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Wait what? Can I get the government to give me more money?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Seriously, if I can get me some university learnins on the dirt cheap, well that'd be great.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/information-for/caf/services-benefits

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/operations-abroad/op-unifier.page

"Junior Sergeant Barrakketh, how would you go about breaking out of a kettle like at Ilovaisk and Debalsateve?"

"Well that's a tough question. What did you do in the past?"

"We wait for the President to give our mothers and wives gold stars."

:wow:

Seriously though, it's a whole other ball game compared to OMLT in Afghanistan. The guys are keen and hang off your every word and there isn't the huge cultural chasm we had to deal with riding around with Uzbeks, Tajiks and Hazaras.

Barrakketh fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 24, 2015

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They're still all hosed if that war goes hot though. Russian flag over Kiev in like a week.

I really hope we don't make any kind of permanent defense arrangement with a country with an ongoing border dispute with Russia, and a Russian-backed insurgency,

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Directs me to

quote:

404 - Page Not Found

The page you are looking for has been moved...

If you navigated using a bookmark, we suggest you delete it or update the bookmark pointing to this site.

HomeContact us

Which I find hilarous in light of the convo like three posts up. Or is :thejoke:?

:ohdear:

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

:thejoke:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Frosted Flake posted:

I really hope we don't make any kind of permanent defense arrangement with a country with an ongoing border dispute with Russia, and a Russian-backed insurgency,

Unless they join NATO how could a Canadian/Ukraine defense agreement benefit us in ANY POSSIBLE WAY?

If that war does go hot what the gently caress could we possibly do? Without the Americans around that's non-permissive airspace so our usual limp-Dick response of token Hornets won't work unless you want the maple leaf roundel on CNN after a BUK blows the wing it's on off

Our entire active fighting force basically equals a rounding error on Red Army spreadsheets(done on a pirated version of excel 97)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Seriously.

I wouldn't want to be a Ukrainian conscript when the Motor Rifle Regiments start crossing the border. (A typical Motor Rifle Regiment contains more tanks than the entire CAF).
Not to mention more Ukrainians have deserted than make up the entire combat arms (~50k at last count).

There is no way any more involvement will work out well. I don't mind giving them winter mittens and mukluks, but I'm kind of amazed by the media narrative that Plucky Little Ukraine can hold it's own with Canadian help. :canada:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Yeah the Red steamroller is still very much a thing, gently caress anyone that says otherwise

Get all Red Storm Rising fanwanky as you want, if Putin gets some flashbacks to his previous life as ol' steely Joe watch any promises of aid turn into strong language and sanctions on maple syrup imports.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 16, 2017

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I'm going to go out and guess that "veteran" and "after" are terms that will have very fluid definitions.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 16, 2017

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

drat. Even if you lose your legs or something, medical only covers two years of school.

As much as Harper talks about the military, he hasn't done much for us.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Frosted Flake posted:

drat. Even if you lose your legs or something, medical only covers two years of school.

As much as Harper talks about the military, he hasn't done much for us.

You didn't realize this after he closed down 9 VA offices and then spent hundreds of thousands in legal fees fighting veteran support groups in court??!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

How about the guy that has to prove every year that his legs didn't grow back

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

MA-Horus posted:

How about the guy that has to prove every year that his legs didn't grow back

The Amazing Spider-Man was a documentary.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Who here still remembers when we had the civil bureaucrats at DND on record saying it's better P.R. for the PMO when we come back in coffins because wounded soldiers tend to bitch and moan.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Ouch. Really?

Kind of surprised nobody's kicked the Tories in the nuts a few times over Defence spending/support (other than the low hanging F-35 fruit) in this election campaign.

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
They say Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, but I should have that title
Probably because the other guys want to spend even less.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It's a small gripe compared to the new charter, and gutting pensions and VAC, but losing the military hospitals was probably a sign of things to come.

Not to mention military spending is presently lower than it ever was under the Liberals, but I guess numbers don't matter in Harperland.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Sir John Eh posted:

Probably because the other guys want to spend even less.

And where do you have any proof of that? I mean, the Liberals have a long history of cutting funding for the Forces, but from everything the NDP have been saying they have no intentions of further cuts, and he'll, they've even hinted at reforming Canadian Defense Procurement

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Do any of the parties have positions of the major procurement boondoggles?

F-35
CCV
TAPV
Sea King Replacement

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
The liberals want to scrap the F35s and instead spend all that money on the navy. They also have former General "Screw NDHQ" Leslie on their team. I'm all for axing the fat in Ottawa but I'm not sure how I feel about having a mediocre air force and mediocre navy instead of a mediocre air force and a terrible navy.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Mediocre for any of the branches won't cut it if any of the parties wants the country to be relevant on the world stage, but a promise from a politician during an election is worth it's weight in bullshit.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
God, who cares about the Navy? Every Navy sperg I meet goes on about force projection and blah blah blah and goes off the deep-end into doctrine of what "might" happen, yet there hasn't been an actual naval engagement since 1950 so its all just D&D roleplaying at this point.

"And then pew pew pew, my destroyer would engage with this, and then move there, and then..."

Sorry, Im still bitter about having to memorize what a loving forecastle is (PRONOUNCED FO'C'S'LE!!)

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 29, 2015

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Pretty sure any modern naval engagement would be decided by three things: Subs, carriers, planes. We don't have two of those, so we sould be throwing money at the third one so that's it's moderately effective.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

MohawkSatan posted:

Pretty sure any modern naval engagement would be decided by three things: Subs, carriers, planes. We don't have two of those, so we sould be throwing money at the third one so that's it's moderately effective.

Any modern naval engagement would be literally rolling a dice because no one has any idea how it would play out save for D&D level wargaming by spergs. For Air and Land doctrine at least there's been actual wars to test out batshit crazy ideas, but the Navy gets to go hogwild thinking up scenarios.

sorry, Im just bitter about the sweet sweet ball caps and beards. Plus the uniforms have better hipster cred than CADPAT

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Just once I want a government to go off the deep end, just for a few years so we get carriers, landing craft, those baby carriers US Marines have - the whole shbang.

Then I would never have to hear about the Navy again, and also the Army combat arms could stop jerking off about "another Normandy" once they have a few exercises in the North Atlantic on those things and realize poo poo sucks.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

Frosted Flake posted:

Just once I want a government to go off the deep end, just for a few years so we get carriers, landing craft, those baby carriers US Marines have - the whole shbang.

Then I would never have to hear about the Navy again, and also the Army combat arms could stop jerking off about "another Normandy" once they have a few exercises in the North Atlantic on those things and realize poo poo sucks.

God do people actually jerk off about "another Normandy"? There is nothing worse than war nerds in the Army who talk about this poo poo like its a video game or jerk off about things.

"Unngh unggh the Bm-21 is so cool guys, it can go pew pew pew and BWWHWHOOOOOM"

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Simkin posted:

Kind of surprised nobody's kicked the Tories in the nuts a few times over Defence spending/support (other than the low hanging F-35 fruit) in this election campaign.

That's because no one really cares or notices outside of a few journalists and policy wonks. Its a quick way to score some cheap points (F-35), but ultimately Canada largely doesn't give a poo poo beyond vague platitudes or general notions that "we should spend more" while simultaneously making GBS threads all over any replacement program as being too expensive and unneeded, and the parties all realize this. I can't really blame them - after all we have been whittled down to a token force on the global scale and I can't count the number of times I've had to explain what is it I do to someone who either had no idea Canada had that capability or was generally dismissive of our whole armed forces. Think about it this way, was the average Canadian's life affected any way when we force reduced from 100K to 60K in the 90s? Or when we went down to one effective ship per coast (plus a deployer) when we lost the tankers and destroyers during the height of FELEX (Frigate Life Extension)? Or when we lost air defense? Reduced the number of airworthy CF-18s? The answer to all is a resounding no. Its only an issue academically until its not. And at that point its too late.

Although I will admit that being in the most maligned sub-service of the most maligned branch (and probably the second most maligned overall project next to the aforementioned F-35 project) probably doesn't help with selling what I do to Canadians.

The reason that all parties (and that won't change regardless of who is elected) can and do treat defense spending like discretionary funds to be turned on or off year over year is because the public lets them. Frankly at this point the apparatus and bureaucracy that props up our whole system behind the scenes (Think the various ADMs) has been atrophied as well simultaneously burdened with enough layers of checks, balances, approvals and committees that even if the hypothetical liberal/NDP/Green majority decided to give us the pie in the sky 2%-of-GDP budget NATO recommends we still would have to give most of it back at the end of the year. The system is designed to spend just enough money to keep the gears moving slowly while ensuring the Canadian industry gets it cut. That's why projects take decades. Fixing this is entirely out of the realm of the Department as a whole let alone the CAF - it would take serious acts of Parliament backed up by reform at the higher levels of PWGSC and the TBS along with enormous expenditures of political capital in order to even start spending the kind of money in a timely fashion required to get that "dream military" of helicopter carriers, combat blimps and whatever else you want.

In other words, lots of people would have to be dying somewhere Canadians really care about or a serious-no-fooling attack on Canada.

But hey, we just stood up a Cyber Command and a Space Command (to better command and coordinate our many assets in space of course), so there is that.

Melian Dialogue posted:

Any modern naval engagement would be literally rolling a dice because no one has any idea how it would play out save for D&D level wargaming by spergs. For Air and Land doctrine at least there's been actual wars to test out batshit crazy ideas, but the Navy gets to go hogwild thinking up scenarios.

Not really. The Falklands still drives a lot of blue water naval doctrine and although its been a while the fundamentals of warfare in a jet and anti-ship missile age haven't changed. The missiles are a lot smarter, but so are the countermeasures. I'll give you that littoral support is very much an evolving field, especially in Canada where we will soon be at a point where we need to decide if our new ships will actually be effective at NGS or not.

MohawkSatan posted:

I like the cut of your jib sailor

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Burn Department of Public Works to ashes, scorched earth policy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MA-Horus posted:

Burn Department of Public Works to ashes, scorched earth policy.

Always seems weird they have anything to do with procurement, I picture guys with hardhats turning pipe wrenches when I hear "public works".

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
Just saw Hyena Road, dunno what to make of it. I guess it was alright? It had some really weird scenes and a weird pace to it, and the Int O guy was definitely some amalgamation of a super source handler/PSYOPS guy/whatever guy. Lots of weird dialogue and scenes, but, the "muh realism" wasn't too bad I guess.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

LCdr. Jebus posted:

I like the cut of your jib sailor

This thread taught me why joining up would have been a horrendous idea, the least I can do is pay it back with occasional insights/comedy.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

In other news, the Rangers apparently are getting their new rifles, finally. Get to retire the SMLE .303 in favor of a .308 Sako design...built by Colt Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

LCdr. Jebus posted:

In other words, lots of people would have to be dying somewhere Canadians really care about or a serious-no-fooling attack on Canada.

Good longpost. Like you said, there's basically never any political cost to cutting defence spending in Canada. Once the Conservatives figured it out, it was game over. At this point I would prefer any other party, even the loving Green party. Sure, they would slash funding, but at least they'd hopefully be upfront about it in a way that would allow to DND to admit loss of capability and plan around a different concept (such as ditching the idea of having a blue water navy).

LCdr. Jebus posted:

I'll give you that littoral support is very much an evolving field, especially in Canada where we will soon be at a point where we need to decide if our new ships will actually be effective at NGS or not.

That's surprising, we don't have NGS capability now and I wouldn't have thought it would be a priority for any new class. Too offensive, not very Canadian.