Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Some stuff, like Fax, has no real excuse to exist physically at a location. Get that poo poo in the cloud ASAP. Other stuff is obviously going to be much more painful, especially for medium sized businesses that have to work with lovely vendors and support applications that don't work well outside of the local LAN. It sounds ridiculous, but that's still a problem in 2015. Especially in the financial sector.
Any kind of LoB apps are generally going to be very badly written and not work well outside any server that looks exactly like the dev team's local workstation. I worked with a ton of bioinformatics apps at my last job that were entirely unsupported on any non-Ubuntu Linux distro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Vulture Culture posted:

Any kind of LoB apps are generally going to be very badly written and not work well outside any server that looks exactly like the dev team's local workstation. I worked with a ton of bioinformatics apps at my last job that were entirely unsupported on any non-Ubuntu Linux distro.

I always wonder how well it would work if a single vendor just decided "gently caress it, we're going to develop this Application and we're going to do it right. Hire a few dudes from Apple and get them on the UI piece. Get a couple of those IT geeks to figure out the most efficient coding standard to write this in."

Just set out to obliterate the competition with a totally superior product. Like, imagine if FiServ decided to make the ultimate bank teller software and just blow out Harland, etc.

Instead it's a war of inches where every product that competes within a given sphere is the same poo poo with a different coat of paint and minor idiosyncrasies. I mean I'd settle for these companies having a QA department larger than two people.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Please tell me you're getting paid like triple time for that :stare:

Oh wait, typo...1am to 10am. And it's not hourly, but my salary was a big bump up from my last job, so I'm considering the night differential to be factored in.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tab8715 posted:

:rolleyes:

Look at your typical IT Infrastructure, many businesses have a Windows Domain, finely crafted GPO's deployed with a nicely customized image. All your applications, databases live in virtualized servers with a bunch neat HA/FT added-on either in really cool looking server room that your manager purposely walks clients past or in colo with a VPN/MPLS to your offices.

With the Cloud, how much of this is necessary? Your users don't need fat applications, hell they don't even necessarily need a domain all they know is they type contoso.portal.com into whatever web browser on any device and they're ready to work. All of the applications/database are run on whichever cloud and the redundancy/fault-tolerance is already built-in to the platform. Hardware outages, cyclical hardware upgrades and network/virtualization troubleshooting. I can't speak for all cloud providers but it even potentially it gets rid of the headaches associated with software licensing as each SaaS/IaaS instance already includes the licensing cost and while this piece is over my head IT is now a Operational Expenditure not Capital which makes management/accounting happy.

And sure, the above scenario isn't going to be a fit everyone and that's when a hybrid cloud comes into play but that's still less of <$WhateverTech> that's automated away.

All true, until you start doing business in places where bandwidth isn't a commodity. Then the Cloud becomes a problem instead of the magic solution to everything.

Anyway, I'm not too worried about my job future as long as I keep my skillset relevant.

Sprechensiesexy fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 30, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

evol262 posted:

It's Austin and Portland to worry about.

Why? As far as I'm aware, both cities have a had strong Tech presence but how is that any different than the Bay Area which is more or less the same thing?

Bhodi posted:

Especially Lotus Notes.

That's exactly right, if you're great RPG/COBOL or AS/400 Administrator you'll still find a well-paying job but it's probably going to be a few places and likely in some sub-urban corporate office in a few cities.

Bhodi posted:

Especially Lotus Notes.

I'm not sure exactly how accurate this is but I've heard that Lotus Notes is still the dominating messaging provider and for whatever reason Exchange hasn't penetrated APAC Markets and a lot US Companies are okay with Lotus.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 30, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Sprechensiesexy posted:

All true, until you start doing business in places where bandwidth isn't a commodity. Then the Cloud becomes a problem instead of the magic solution to everything.

Agreed, there was a brief discussion on this exact scenario in the cloud IT Thread.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Just set out to obliterate the competition with a totally superior product. Like, imagine if FiServ decided to make the ultimate bank teller software and just blow out Harland, etc.
1) it's easier to just buy someone else
2) banks don't change their core unless there is a serious loving reason to do so

edit: i've been on the converting side of 7 core conversions. They were ok because we bought other banks, so their old business processes went away. i couldn't imagine what would be required to implement new systems for the core and then make the new core work with all of our ancillary poo poo overnight. The thought alone is making me upset.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tab8715 posted:

:rolleyes:

Look at your typical IT Infrastructure, many businesses have a Windows Domain, finely crafted GPO's deployed with a nicely customized image. All your applications, databases live in virtualized servers with a bunch neat HA/FT added-on either in really cool looking server room that your manager purposely walks clients past or in colo with a VPN/MPLS to your offices.

With the Cloud, how much of this is necessary? Your users don't need fat applications, hell they don't even necessarily need a domain all they know is they type contoso.portal.com into whatever web browser on any device and they're ready to work. All of the applications/database are run on whichever cloud and the redundancy/fault-tolerance is already built-in to the platform. Hardware outages, cyclical hardware upgrades and network/virtualization troubleshooting. I can't speak for all cloud providers but it even potentially it gets rid of the headaches associated with software licensing as each SaaS/IaaS instance already includes the licensing cost and while this piece is over my head IT is now a Operational Expenditure not Capital which makes management/accounting happy.

And sure, the above scenario isn't going to be a fit everyone and that's when a hybrid cloud comes into play but that's still less of <$WhateverTech> that's automated away.

You can't just pick an application up and move it to the cloud and expect it to work well. There's a lot of development work required to design and run applications that don't take the underlying stability of the infrastructure for granted. How many companies will want to rewrite their LOB apps to do that? What would the benefits be that would drive things in that direction given that running cloud applications is neither easy nor cheap?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sushi The Kid posted:

Been on nights at a DC\NOC for 8 years. Kill me.

Honestly, the onus is on you. Find a new job, dude.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm OK with powershell but thats about it. I dont even know where to start with API's or cloud native anything.

Want to do something? Google "powershell VMware" or ".net foo". There's probably a binding, or the vendor has a rest/jsonrpc/whatever service that does the heavy lifting instead of you doing it all yourself. Congrats, you're using an api. It's really easy once you get used to asking " has someone else already done what I'm trying to do? Can I leverage that? Does the vendor do it themselves?"

Tab8715 posted:

This is great (in the end), but lots of apps (especially on IaaS v SaaS) end up needing/wanting some kind of federated auth anyway, so your users don't need 30 accounts to use everything. You can shunt it to a hosted service, but the requirements just move budget categories, and IT ends up doing the same stuff with different tools. Some changes, but it's more an evolution than a sea change

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

Why? As far as I'm aware, both cities have a had strong Tech presence but how is that any different than the Bay Area which is more or less the same thing?

Silicon valley is silicon valley. Developing/immature markets (Raleigh, Austin, Portland) whose infrastructure is also heavily based in startups are gonna suffer. Seattle, NYC, NoVA, and other areas have established scenes. Even the mecheng stuff in Austin has a lot of startup/vc stuff.

If the bubble pops and the bay gets cheap (relative to now), there's no reason to push out elsewhere, and it collapses in again.

I always wonder how well it would work if a single vendor just decided "gently caress it, we're going to develop this Application and we're going to do it right. Hire a few dudes from Apple and get them on the UI piece. Get a couple of those IT geeks to figure out the most efficient coding standard to write this in."
For as much work as they put into it, Apple's UX isn't as great as it used to be. Partly because they don't do anything incentive anymore.

More to the point, it doesn't work for a lot of industries. Apple products (and Google stuff, sometimes) is:

Which is "friendly" and "efficient" for people who aren't familiar with the app in question, or who have simple workflows (find X, etc). And there are definite improvements in some lob stuff, especially EMR. But things like banking are incredibly efficient. It seems dumb to you to have every F key mapped to something to swap through menus like it's WordPerfect. But it's like vi. Someone who knows all the hotkeys (which a lot of tellers do) is amazingly fast, and redesign costs thousands/millions in retraining, lost productivity, etc.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
They also can't leverage a ton of cloud resources and algorithm gods to make it work either.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
i'm oversimplifying of course, but I'm mostly referring to the efficiency of the software itself moreso than the UI. You're absolutely right in that my experience is going to be different from a teller that knows the terminal interface inside out, but the way the software behaves and operates (update rollouts, failure behaviors, data synchronization, etc.) are often baffling.

Most banking software I've seen seems to understand cold exactly how a user is intended to operate within it and intentionally makes it as painful as possible to do so. I've seen things like "hitting tab while in a blank field breaks the form and you have to relaunch the application" type of stuff that I don't understand how it makes it into the wild. And it isn't unique to a single vendor.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

i'm oversimplifying of course, but I'm mostly referring to the efficiency of the software itself moreso than the UI. You're absolutely right in that my experience is going to be different from a teller that knows the terminal interface inside out, but the way the software behaves and operates (update rollouts, failure behaviors, data synchronization, etc.) are often baffling.

Most banking software I've seen seems to understand cold exactly how a user is intended to operate within it and intentionally makes it as painful as possible to do so. I've seen things like "hitting tab while in a blank field breaks the form and you have to relaunch the application" type of stuff that I don't understand how it makes it into the wild. And it isn't unique to a single vendor.

I'm speaking from the "in-house engineering supporting/managing/upgrading systems which run banking software used by tellers", but I can say that rolling out updates, synchronizing data, etc is stuff that we (and dev, and qa) paid a lot of attention to. A hard requirement on the "upgrade remote systems from rhel4-5/5-6" bits I did was the ability to roll back, even days after the fact, like nothing happened. Except the transactions on the branch server needed to be scraped in case they hadn't made it back to the central systems yet.

Software with bad failure cases is everywhere. Even OSX. Especially OSX. All over the place. My wife's family is Apple fanboys/girls. Did you know there are a ton of common bugs? Like upgrading destroying resource forks, so any kind of file dialog which touches that folder (~/Desktop is common) will hang the finder (or whatever is using the chooser) forever? I do. Because it's happened multiple times, to multiple people, on multiple OSX versions. But :apple:, so their support reps just say to reinstall (moving the files from the affected folder and back recreates resource forks and fixes it -- doing this is buried on their support forums).

All software is bad software.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Bhodi posted:

Or would, if he didn't sell his business and username wholesale to a crook who farmed the work out and scammed a bunch of people.

I worked with that guy way back when and missed this whole drama. Can you go a little more into it?

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I think the guy started charging hundreds of dollars to write a fancy sentence and goons were too hosed up on SSRI and low-T to realize how dumb they are

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Coredump posted:

I worked with that guy way back when and missed this whole drama. Can you go a little more into it?

quote:

It’s true.

While the ownership of the business changed hands, the same great resume writing team and processes remain unchanged.

The intent was never to mislead anyone and for that we apologize. But the point should be made that it is because of the process, not the person, that people have found success and satisfaction with this company and continued to do so for the past year. The testimonials and backgrounds are still valid for RTI however, because everything in terms of staff and methodology remained exactly the same. The resumes are made the exact same way by the exact same people as they were before. Jason himself hadn’t directly dealt with resumes since 2012. Three out of our four writers were part of RTI under Jason, and their training and experience has carried over.

The quality of the work and the testimonial accounts remain constant and are there to represent the business and the process, not any one person. All the people who have had success in the past year since the switch are evidence of that, since, again, nothing has changed in terms of customer approach.

Jason’s name was removed from our branding, website, and e-mails when the ownership changed to avoid the implication that he was still involved. We responded to e-mails addressed to Jason, but always from the employee’s individual addresses. Since the issue has come to our attention, we have changed the name from "Dusting Duvet" to "R2ISupport" to avoid any confusion on the go forward. If the "Dusting Duvet" name came across as misleading, we certainly apologize as that was not the intent.

We would like to thank our great goon customers and supporters. To reiterate that, we have taken the best coupon code we offer ("GOON") and made it even better by increasing it from $75 off to $100 off a purchase of at least $250.

whoops

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

evol262 posted:

Want to do something? Google "powershell VMware" or ".net foo". There's probably a binding, or the vendor has a rest/jsonrpc/whatever service that does the heavy lifting instead of you doing it all yourself. Congrats, you're using an api. It's really easy once you get used to asking " has someone else already done what I'm trying to do? Can I leverage that? Does the vendor do it themselves?"

You can be paid very well as the SCCM guy, especially if you throw in WDS/MDT image management, etc.

Throw in application management and package building and that's a job in and of itself. SCCM also ties into Azure in 2012 R2+ so you can get your feet wet that way too.

With your current skill set it would be pretty simple to get your MCSE and go from there.

Thanks for the suggestions, both are much appreciated. Seems like once a year I have a panic attack about being out of a job and broke on the street due to an aging skill set. I may hold off on studying for the VCP and just take time to learn something like AWS and keep on trucking with powershell. If I can get my home lab up and going it would be fun to play around with making some windows 10 images through SCCM. Honestly though I'm glad to not have to work with SCCM day in day out anymore. Once you get things up and running it's great but it's a ton of work to get you to that point.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
I used R2I just under a year ago and it was probably the best way I've ever spent $200.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, both are much appreciated. Seems like once a year I have a panic attack about being out of a job and broke on the street due to an aging skill set.

Just don't end up like the library goon: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3743191

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Danith posted:

I wish there were more opportunities for learning at my place of work for the last 8+ years, or that I was actually motivated in all the years to learn things that didn't pertain to my position. Trying to make my resume look fancy but with my position it's just kinda blah :| Can i pay someone to take a blurb of what I do and transform it into flowery language :v

Parahexavoctal / Danny still does this. He's been really awesome for me.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

vibur posted:

I used R2I just under a year ago and it was probably the best way I've ever spent $200.

I used them way back with the original owner and once to update my resume about a year ago with the new crew. The quality of work was way better with the original owner. The new people didnt seem to grasp the industry as well and would focus on meaningless metrics or projects at the expense of, in my opinion, more noteworthy work. If you didnt have any resume and had the money I wouldn't say it was a bad purchase but it's not the slam dunk it used to be either.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

A longtime friend of mine paid R2I to redo his resume and the result was kind of poo poo, in my opinion. At least one of the people doing the work there now is bad at their job. I did a lot better with it because I knew what questions to ask -- most problems with a resume are issues of content omission, not issues with style or phrasing. Knowing the industry is key. I agree that they don't do that well anymore.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, a lot of people went "Oh, that makes sense" when it came out, because some people had fantastic service and others had total garbage.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

vibur posted:

Me too. I guess the magic is over.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

CloFan posted:

Huh, I must have missed that bit of forums drama

When did this happen? I got a good resume from them six months ago.

In positive news, can all support lines be like webex sales support? I called in and had my question answered in less than a minute.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
As much as I hate what webex enables, I have nothing but good things to say about the company and it's product itself.

Our internal conferencing software was so bad at my last job that we bought a departmental webex license rather than use head office's forced option.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I've done several of the courses on codecademy and just saw they added SQL. That's cool, but I'm wondering if anybody know anything similar to codecademy that deals with configuration management stuff like Puppet, Chef, etc (aside from the learning VM's). I have access to safaribooks and read anything I can find about this stuff, but I really like codecademy's system.

On a slightly related subject, I've been having a lot of fun with the wargames available from overthewire.

edit wrt webex: we recently adopted Zoom Conferencing to replace Google Hangouts and it's been great for our growing numbers.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Chef just sent me a nice thing.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
A good recruiter will help you tighten up your resume for free, just saying...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dark Helmut posted:

A bad one will edit your resume to fit their needs without telling you.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yes but do I have to disclose my salary?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Never disclose your salary when forming an IT union because IT workers are overpaid and the bubble's going to burst soon anyway. Printers.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

1) it's easier to just buy someone else
2) banks don't change their core unless there is a serious loving reason to do so

edit: i've been on the converting side of 7 core conversions. They were ok because we bought other banks, so their old business processes went away. i couldn't imagine what would be required to implement new systems for the core and then make the new core work with all of our ancillary poo poo overnight. The thought alone is making me upset.

We're planning conversion where I work right now. Our current conversion plan is at this point an eight month cycle with a possibility of it being ten months if we pick up a lot of extra options on our final decision/plan.

:suicide:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dark Helmut posted:

"Yeah I'm going to need your resume in word format to ahhh..... edit it's formatting for submission. Yeah that's all I'll be doing for sure".

Then you wonder why you're getting offers for all these DBA jobs...

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I make layout/formatting changes, but I don't write content for you. Not only am I too lazy to actually WRITE your resume for you, but it's going to bite me in the rear end if we embellish your skills. Anyway...

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
So are all y'all East Coasters ready for the :siren: Joaquinicane :siren: ????

I want to send an e-mail to the company to remind laptop users to bring their poo poo home, but I keep getting denied. It's a 50/50 shot that a.) Everyone will call out, or b.) Our VPN will get crushed.

Me, I'm getting batteries, charging my poo poo, and hunkering down.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

It still might miss us, but I suspect that's less likely. Don't they veer into the coast naturally as they go north?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
All of the good recruiters I have worked with in Pharma (IT & Non-IT) have been good about making edit suggestions (e.g. "Can you include more specific names of technologies you've worked with? Make your marketing experience stand out more. Etc etc)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

EDIT: Err Yes they bounce off into the Atlantic as they go north. I used to watch hurricanes pretty close during some pretty bad drought times in the southeast. If this hurricane acts like ones from 2007 and 2008 it will wonder off into the ocean.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dark Helmut posted:

I make layout/formatting changes, but I don't write content for you. Not only am I too lazy to actually WRITE your resume for you, but it's going to bite me in the rear end if we embellish your skills. Anyway...

Sorry didn't mean to call you out specifically, I've just seen it personally with a recruiter who took my resume. This was my first time getting contacted by technical recruiters while looking for jobs and I let my excitement cloud my vision for a bit. She ended up submitting me to multiple jobs that I wasn't remotely qualified or interested in after changing my resume.

Does anyone know of any job sites that specialize in rural areas? I desperately want to get back out west to Alaska or some other mountain state but it seems like unless you know someone in a small podunk town you'll never see a job opening available.