Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

A White Guy posted:

Is it still possible to gen a world wherein one race has been utterly wiped out? Is it still possible to go into the world, and perform the racial genocide yourself?

Yes to both. For the first one, you just have to generate a world and leave it for a couple thousand of years until there's only one (civilized) race dominating the world. For the second one, you can do it by generating a pocket world, going in adventure mode, and murdering everything. (this was done already)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
The Bay12Games Twitter account has had some pretty good glimpses into the maddness recently:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Do you guys use Announcement Filter? If so do you have a problem with it not scrolling when the window starts filling up? It's annoying to restart it all the time, plus the older a fort grows, the more announcements.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Alehkhs posted:

The Bay12Games Twitter account has had some pretty good glimpses into the maddness recently:

The holes are still there. :allears:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Helical Nightmares posted:

The holes are still there. :allears:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 24, 2015

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

:iit:

@Bay12Games posted:

This dwarven library has about 20 independent proofs of the Pythagorean theorem collected from around the world.

I love this game.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

GOTY

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
About time I got in on their patreon. This is good stuff.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
I'm beginning to think that a lava moat just may not be worth it. So many of my axe dwarves just dodge right off the ledge into the lava when running out to meet an invasion.

Hrm.... Oh well, I can always get more dwarves.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

TheCIASentMe posted:

I'm beginning to think that a lava moat just may not be worth it. So many of my axe dwarves just dodge right off the ledge into the lava when running out to meet an invasion.

Hrm.... Oh well, I can always get more dwarves.

My volcano with lava moat has accidentally suffered some troll based damage and now the "moat" is more of an ever-filling lake that extends out along the north side of my fortress.

I'd be happier if my FPS wasn't being choked to death as a result but such is life.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Reading the history summary of the doomed world later in the thread really reminded me about why Dwarf Fortress is awesome, and it makes me wish there was a lot more stuff that could happen in World Gen. Wars and interesting plot lines can just be too rare sometimes.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

reignofevil posted:

My volcano with lava moat has accidentally suffered some troll based damage and now the "moat" is more of an ever-filling lake that extends out along the north side of my fortress.

I'd be happier if my FPS wasn't being choked to death as a result but such is life.

This is pretty much the most dwarf fortress thing ever.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How does the game expect you to deal with vampires? I have one in my fort, killing people here and there and i think it's really cool and neat. I know there's supposedly a way to single the vampire out in Dwarf Therapist and other gamey methods and then dump them in lava, but what does the developer(s)/the game intend for the users to do about it? I wanna do it the intended way.

I notice there are cases in the Justice menu pertaining to the vampire murders, one of them supposedly had a witness, so i convicted the suspect based on the only evidence i had. He "just" got 240+ days in prison tho, i was expecting him to be executed or banished since this does not deal with the vampire problem (the one who supposedly saw it happen might be the vampire anyway, i love this).

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Dongattack posted:

How does the game expect you to deal with vampires? I have one in my fort, killing people here and there and i think it's really cool and neat. I know there's supposedly a way to single the vampire out in Dwarf Therapist and other gamey methods and then dump them in lava, but what does the developer(s)/the game intend for the users to do about it? I wanna do it the intended way.

I notice there are cases in the Justice menu pertaining to the vampire murders, one of them supposedly had a witness, so i convicted the suspect based on the only evidence i had. He "just" got 240+ days in prison tho, i was expecting him to be executed or banished since this does not deal with the vampire problem (the one who supposedly saw it happen might be the vampire anyway, i love this).

I guess that depends on how you define gamey. If you have an idea who you think it might be, their little bio can be a giveaway. Whacky birth dates, sometimes names being weird (I think? I only noticed that once), and talking about dark gods of sorts. There are some other indicators in there I think, but It has been awhile since I had to deal with an immigrant vampire. They probably have a bunch of rusty skills as well.

As to what to DO with them, well I don't think there is any real "this is what you are supposed to do with vampires!" The usual thing is often to seal them up and make them keep your books, but I enjoy dumping them into caves to deal with stuff along with whatever catch & release program I have going with kobold thieves or whatever. Maybe engineer a cave-in or make a lava sauna for him?

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Dongattack posted:

He "just" got 240+ days in prison tho, i was expecting him to be executed or banished since this does not deal with the vampire problem (the one who supposedly saw it happen might be the vampire anyway, i love this).
Due to general fuckiness concerning job-assignment priority, it's quite possible for prisoners (and hospital patients) to die of hunger or thirst. This will not happen to vampires, of course.

The logical in-game approach is a witch trial. Ensure that each prison cell has a door that can be locked from outside. When the vampire suspect is incarcerated, lock the door. If you notice signs of starvation, then you can unlock the door and allow him to serve his remaining sentence. If he dies anyways, then he can be considered exonerated and given an honorable burial. If he survives 240 days without food, then the diagnosis is confirmed and you can apply metagame penal measures (e.g. entomb him forever in a tiny office as a vampire-accountant, assign him to a 1-man military squad and order him to explore the caverns, setup a minecart on an eternal loop and tell him to ride it, or just dump his rear end into magma if you're prudent and boring).

The in-game penal answer is "to be implemented." Open up Legends mode and you'll find vampires living hundreds of years (with nobody raising any concerns or objections), holding high political offices, and killing thousands of people. Occasionally they're forced to migrate because they've successfully exsanguinated every single person in their civilization. Dwarf Fortress isn't a finished game, and sometimes you just need to accept the absurdity and roll with it. Some mods add religious and magic game-mechanics, which allow you to detect vampirism and then cure or destroy the afflicted creature.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

GulMadred posted:

The logical in-game approach is a witch trial. Ensure that each prison cell has a door that can be locked from outside. When the vampire suspect is incarcerated, lock the door. If you notice signs of starvation, then you can unlock the door and allow him to serve his remaining sentence. If he dies anyways, then he can be considered exonerated and given an honorable burial. If he survives 240 days without food, then the diagnosis is confirmed and you can apply metagame penal measures (e.g. entomb him forever in a tiny office as a vampire-accountant, assign him to a 1-man military squad and order him to explore the caverns, setup a minecart on an eternal loop and tell him to ride it, or just dump his rear end into magma if you're prudent and boring).

Haha, i love this!

Thanks for both of your very well written posts, i'll accept a bit of gaminess then since it's up to me then anyway. The lack of a executioner noble really should have tipped me off, tho i guess maybe the Hammerer can do that job also.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if you catch a vampire in the act they'll become immediately hostile to your entire fort, i believe. so you can set up a trap, if you're confident in your military

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

ninjewtsu posted:

if you catch a vampire in the act they'll become immediately hostile to your entire fort, i believe. so you can set up a trap, if you're confident in your military

Considering that you would have to assign the vampire to a task in a specific room to set up that trap, I can't help but imagine a heavily armed intervention.

:( "Now Urist, we're all here because we love you."
:drac: "You bloodbags plan to kill me!"
:black101: "Love Hurts."

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

well, there's that, or make your entire fort sleep in an open-wall dormitory with patrolling guards

you'd think this would be more about vampire bite prevention, but nope, they'll still go right in the middle of a bunch of armed guards during an attempt to discreetly snack on some poor farmer

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Do vampires actually eat normal food/drink water or booze?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Zereth posted:

Do vampires actually eat normal food/drink water or booze?

no. it's why vampires are doomed to gradually grow slower and weaker - they never drink, yet feel the dwarven booze withdrawal

e: I do believe their feeding still counts as a "meal" for their thoughts

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Just entomb your mayor.

Draculas always end up mayors.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sometimes the vampire has really good skills. If your vampire is a master weapon smith it may be worth letting him snack on the occasional dwarf. Or set him up in a chamber with trap doors so you can drop materials down to him and have him drop the finished goods down to the room below his chamber.

It can also be good to have him in a one man squad and include a pick in his prison. That way he can dig himself out and be an army of last resort if you are being over-run. Most vampires are good at combat and very hard to kill.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Angela Christine posted:

Sometimes the vampire has really good skills. If your vampire is a master weapon smith it may be worth letting him snack on the occasional dwarf. Or set him up in a chamber with trap doors so you can drop materials down to him and have him drop the finished goods down to the room below his chamber.

It can also be good to have him in a one man squad and include a pick in his prison. That way he can dig himself out and be an army of last resort if you are being over-run. Most vampires are good at combat and very hard to kill.

Or just leave him walled up so that if all your other dwarves get killed, the fort won't die and you'll eventually get migrants again.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Just entomb your mayor.

Draculas always end up mayors.

And if for some reason it's not your mayor, and your mayor dies, do it to the new mayor!

You'll get it eventually. :commissar:

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Daedalus1134 posted:

And if for some reason it's not your mayor, and your mayor dies, do it to the new mayor!

You'll get it eventually. :commissar:

The mayoral elections take on a completely different tone.

"Urist McVampire is a complete scumbag, and that's why you should elect him and not me! I am not a vampire!"

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Angela Christine posted:

Will vampires feed off of other races? I haven't played in ages and any vampire I got before I usually just tossed in liquid hot love.

It would be pretty hardcore to be able to keep a vampire craftsperson/smith/whatever in a pit and toss him goblins once a week.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I had a vampire once in a fort of 100+ dwarfs, I could never find out who it was. Then I was going around and there was a red dwarf in a room with a dead body. I was like "there you are" and locked him up.

They are a cheap way to never lose a game ever if you can capture one.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I think they can be killed by ghosts, though, should all your other dwarves fall and fail to be properly entombed.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Back before vampires were a thing I had a fort where I took a peasant and locked him up in an "undersea lab" I built and left him there to forge his own existence. I suppose you could do the same thing with a vampire.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
How did it go for the peasant?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Pretty well actually. He had his own little farm and poo poo down there so he had food and booze. I left all the rocks behind when I dug the place out so he had plenty of carving to do in his spare time. Unfortunately he got married to someone while he was down there and then when she died he got upset and never really got out of his slump because he had nobody to talk to. Eventually the fort fell when all my megaprojects got boring and a new version came out so I pulled my "destroy everything" lever and made a giant glass sky-fortress fall to the earth.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The quintessential Dwarf Fortress experience.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Neurion posted:

I think they can be killed by ghosts, though, should all your other dwarves fall and fail to be properly entombed.

Eh. A workshop, 10x10 empty floor tiles, and a shitton of rocks for slabs will do the trick.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Trapping and entombing a vampire in an office and subjecting it to an eternity of bureaucracy is such a cruel and inventive method of punishment. This game is the best.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Vampires traditionally love counting things, having big fancy titles, and being blood sucking parasites. Bureaucracy is perfect for them!

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Say you get a vampire mayor, if you wall him up inside his office and then place chairs on either side of a fortification can people have meetings with him? Or do those occur at a table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I think meetings take place standing up and in no particular place. I'm pretty sure I've spotted meetings taking place through solid walls before.