Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Little yellow rear end in a top hat machine is now 300% more fun to ride.

The front caliper bracket I have is for a 280mm rotor, not a 320, so I stuffed a dirt rotor on for now. its eeeeehhhhhhhh.

E: 14/44 sprockets make for a gently caress of a lot of fun too.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wait you just had the dirt wheels on it this whole time? I thought it was always sumo'd. Is there any difference between the DRZ SM and the DRZ dualsport other than tires/wheels? Looks like a mountain of fun.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Coydog posted:

Wait you just had the dirt wheels on it this whole time? I thought it was always sumo'd. Is there any difference between the DRZ SM and the DRZ dualsport other than tires/wheels? Looks like a mountain of fun.

The SM has a bigger rotor and upside down forks and a couple other minor differences

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Fatbars are stock on the SM. It has a different swingarm with a conventional streetbike chain slack adjuster (gonna guess that the snails are easy to damage in a slide). Comes with axle sliders stock.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thanks for clarifying! That's a pretty big difference, and definitely lends itself to being more street oriented. Quite a value add having all of those extra parts.Now if they would just make it FI and add abs I'd be happy to pay the high price.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
rear triangle for the suspension is slightly different too. My forks are chewed to poo poo from sliding on the tarmac by the po...not that this matters anyway.

SM rear rotors are larger too, to fit a larger rear rotor to the S model you use RM125/250 caliper brackets.

I should be getting inverted RM forks and a cnc'd triple any day now

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Does the DRZ have a flat slide from factory?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
K/E models till 05 or so. otherwise its a cv36. cams, airbox, header are also different.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

I just read about the DRZ casualty. smh so hard

:smith:
Going bike shopping mañana.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

OK cause someone I know has gotten a hold of a non-SM one and I was really surprised to see a flat slide on there amongst all the left-over communist tractor parts.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Took it on a four day trip, burnt a hole through a bag when it was tied to the back with occy straps, then I put a rack on it:

Hopefully this will result in less burnt plastic on my exhaust.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ephphatha posted:

Took it on a four day trip, burnt a hole through a bag when it was tied to the back with occy straps, then I put a rack on it:

Hopefully this will result in less burnt plastic on my exhaust.

That seat looks amazingly comfy. What is it?

There is so much right with this picture.

What caliber ammo tin is that?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

A custom seat built by a dude down in Goulburn - MJM. On the way back from a trip to Jindabyne I ran into a group of dual sport riders who all had seats made by him so I saw that as a pretty solid recommendation. It's really loving comfortable compared to the stock seat. Four days on this seat felt like riding a cloud whereas the stock seat brought pain after a couple of hours.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ephphatha posted:

A custom seat built by a dude down in Goulburn - MJM. On the way back from a trip to Jindabyne I ran into a group of dual sport riders who all had seats made by him so I saw that as a pretty solid recommendation. It's really loving comfortable compared to the stock seat. Four days on this seat felt like riding a cloud whereas the stock seat brought pain after a couple of hours.

what'd that set you back? I'm looking for something more comfy than my terrible hard corbin seat on the VFR, but I'm not quite sold on a sergeant yet.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

It was about $350AU for the DRZ, the price varies a bit depending on the bike as some seats take more material. He builds on the stock seat/foam so you'd need to send a seat and be willing to be without it for a while if you can't make it there in person.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ephphatha posted:

It was about $350AU for the DRZ, the price varies a bit depending on the bike as some seats take more material. He builds on the stock seat/foam so you'd need to send a seat and be willing to be without it for a while if you can't make it there in person.

I've got a few spare seats but at that price it's not really advantageous to have him do it over any other custom seat maker really.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
No idea what was causing the forks to keep bottoming out, but I went from the recommended 5w and swapped my fork oil to 10w. No issues now. :feelsgood:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Pope Mobile posted:

No idea what was causing the forks to keep bottoming out, but I went from the recommended 5w and swapped my fork oil to 10w. No issues now. :feelsgood:

:hampants:

are you fat?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
5'11.75" @ 175lbs according to the fancy digital scale I got from Bed Bath and Beyond.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Both clip-on locating bolts (the ones that go up into the triple clamp from underneath): missing.
Pack rack mounting bolts: finger tight.
Front guard: repaired with household gap filler.

There's also evidence that he tried to glue the brake lever pivots back on :psyboom:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
How can you tell what was caused by the PO and what is just normal Hyosung build quality?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Didn't you know? Hyosung employees get to own the factory fresh bikes for a year before they make it to the showroom. So really, it's one in the same.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

How can you tell what was caused by the PO and what is just normal Hyosung build quality?

:v:

TBH build quality is better than I would've expected based on the 250 (which, btw, is nearing 70,000km without any mechanical faults). It's mainly the finish of the parts that's terrible, like suzuki but worse. I'll be doing a lot of spray-painting.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

New sticker and hand guards. Still needs more stickers.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
What did I do to my ride today? I purchased it.:getin:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Now don't blow the loving engine.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Chichevache posted:

Then left it on the highway to be stolen.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Minkee posted:

Then left it on the highway to be stolen.

This one isn't broken, yet.

cursedshitbox posted:

Now don't blow the loving engine.

It came with oil, this time. It should be good for at least 5000 miles.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

This one isn't broken, yet.

It came with oil, this time. It should be good for at least 5000 miles.

Then change it at 3. And measure what you put in with an actual measuring device.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
At this point I would recommend outsourcing all of your maintenance work.

To anyone, really. Neighbor guy. Bum on the street. Gas station clerk. Whoever.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Hey, my DRZ has an diagnosed oil leak that's extremely slow, and getting oily bullshit on the right side of my back tire.

What Would Chichevache Do???

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

At this point I would recommend outsourcing all of your maintenance work.

To anyone, really. Neighbor guy. Bum on the street. Gas station clerk. Whoever.

My PO would do a better job.

I took the engine out today. Numb nuts didn't align the rear cam cover gasket properly when reassembling so the cover pinched one of the semicircular bits, cut it in half and caused a leak that covers the entire back of the engine.

Slipped out easy as though!

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I chained it up because I bought a VStrom 1000 :dance:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Marxalot posted:

Hey, my DRZ has an diagnosed oil leak that's extremely slow, and getting oily bullshit on the right side of my back tire.

What Would Chichevache Do???

I have an auto chain oiler on mine because loving drz countershaft. Whatever, after every ride I check it.....which is exactly what Chichevache wouldn't do.

its the single most annoying loving thing god drat ever. 2nd seal kit, still slobbers. I think its from the fact the case/main/counter shafts came from a engine with a countershaft bearing failure

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

cursedshitbox posted:

I have an auto chain oiler on mine because loving drz countershaft. Whatever, after every ride I check it.....which is exactly what Chichevache wouldn't do.

That's exactly what I did!

Marxalot posted:

Then change it at 3. And measure what you put in with an actual measuring device.

I changed the DRZ oil every few hundred miles and was pretty anal about checking the dipstick on the reg. :ohdear:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I found a new hobby, making "eeeeeee" noises in the helmet trying to harmonize or resonate with the exhaust note. It's very fun, but I'm worried I will enjoy it so much I will suddenly start doing it on the bus one day.

Also, got a fork in the post:

Intending to replace this:

Handles kinda bouncy, brakes a bit weak. :v:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Time to bounce some gravel of it. Seemed like a nice and solid construction, though was a little more fiddly to get on and off than the old ratty stock plastic bottom plate.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Ola, how many KMs on that bike now? It's looks like it's seen some poo poo.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Just rolled over 120 000 km the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Last night, not today.

Replaced a couple bolts with ugly surface rust.
Adjusted idle.
Adjusted windscreen and cleaned it. Determined no wind screen is more comfortable.
Removed the (presumed) faulty voltage monitor the PO installed. It kept reading up to 28 and the battery was testing at around 14 iirc. Well within normal operating voltage.
Replaced the burnt out switch to the PIAA aux lights, discovered the relay to them is dead. New one ordered.
Fresh new bolts and washers on the barkbusters so they aren't wobbly as all hell.