Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I found it. He says he was on creative at the time. Turner got the TV rights to Robocop 2 ahead of the release and so the PPV was marketed to the public as the return of Robocop to hype up the upcoming movie.

In the creative meetings, they were told by Jim Herd "well we've got Peter Weller to wear the suit, but he can't do anything physical in it." They stuck Corny in a cage in an undercard match with gimmicked bars so had to stand still to not ruin the gimmicked cage which they'd use for Robocop to break Sting out of in the main event.

He blamed Jim Herd for all of this and called the whole thing an abortion.

It's believable that nobody besides Weller could wear the suit because it was made specifically for him and he had to wear the whole thing and be able to move around in it at the PPV. When another guy wore it in Robocop 3 they had to cut pieces off of it to fit him. WCW's not paying for a fake Robocop suit in 1990.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Ahaha the fact that they didn't spring for two cages is peak WCW.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Even cutting up the suit, the actor who played in Robocop 3 has lasting back damage from it.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

Even cutting up the suit, the actor who played in Robocop 3 has lasting back damage from it.

God imagine having permanent injuries from a movie as awful as RoboCop 3. At least the first one had BITCHES LEAVE.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

haljordan posted:

God imagine having permanent injuries from a movie as awful as RoboCop 3. At least the first one had BITCHES LEAVE.

RoboCop 3 has ninjas and a jetpack, soooooo

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

haljordan posted:

Well what's worse: having permanent injuries from Robocop 3, or having permanent injuries from say, CZW?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

Well what's worse: having permanent injuries from Robocop 3, or having permanent injuries from say, CZW?

how about the handful of people that actually died for czw

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Goldmine!

http://indeedwrestling.blogspot.com/2015/09/wcw-payroll-1996-2000.html

WCW payroll and merch figures 1996 to 2000. Hogan made $3.7 million a year at his peak and got $800,000 in licensing in 1999!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1TaABwfGD4

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Luigi Thirty posted:

Goldmine!

WCW payroll and merch figures 1996 to 2000. Hogan made $3.7 million a year at his peak and got $800,000 in licensing in 1999!

I think that's less surprising than the fact WCW thought Ed Leslie was worth $150,000 a year.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Defiance Industries posted:

I think that's less surprising than the fact WCW thought Ed Leslie was worth $150,000 a year.

I think the name he mentioned had something to do with the name and circumstances you mentioned, and also the company you both mentioned

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Luigi Thirty posted:

Goldmine!

Steve Austin was on WCW's payroll in 2000?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Goldmine!

My favorite part of this is that some of the wrestlers listed have a holding company name after their real name (presumably to handle their merchandising and licensing) and Buff Bagwell's is listed as The Stuff, Inc.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

My favorite part is The Barbarian making 15 cents in merch.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Great White Hope posted:

My favorite part is The Barbarian making 15 cents in merch.

Hey that Yard Sale was completely on the up and up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Defiance Industries posted:

WCW was so stupid that there's not a lot that I wouldn't believe. Cross-referencing the two sources of data, it appears that Horace Hogan, Brian Knobbs, and Ice Train were making more than Jericho, so why not Ed Leslie?

One thing that sticks out to me is Swoll listed as making about $31k. I think Death of WCW claimed that being in with Master P got him something like a $300k contract. (Maybe that was over three years, and they released him?)

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Stuff is obviously missing or some monies were paid in a category other than licencing/merch/salary, because Ultimate Warrior apparently worked for free on that chart and I don't think that's a thing that happened.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

It might not include Turner money? I think his deal was so big it was off the WCW books. Vince offered him $750,000 and 35% licensing royalties in 1997 and he was insulted.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
How much did WCW pay to hire Gary Spivey to do a Stuart Smalley session with Mr. Wonderful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug-IcTY5ks0

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DynamiteKidd posted:

lol@ the marks who believe Ric Flair's "Jim Herd wanted me to be Spartacus" story when that movie was 30 years old and Spartacus 2 wasn't out

Jim Herd was pretty loving dumb.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DynamiteKidd posted:

lol@ the marks who believe Ric Flair's "Jim Herd wanted me to be Spartacus" story when that movie was 30 years old and Spartacus 2 wasn't out

WCW tried to push a Wizard of Oz gimmick.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Luigi Thirty posted:

It might not include Turner money? I think his deal was so big it was off the WCW books. Vince offered him $750,000 and 35% licensing royalties in 1997 and he was insulted.

How the hell could Vince think offering him $750)k was a good idea especially with history when he couldn't afford to pay Bret a mil a year?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Alain Post posted:

Ted Turner spent a lot of money on that film god drat it

The American Dream posted:

How the hell could Vince think offering him $750)k was a good idea especially with history when he couldn't afford to pay Bret a mil a year?

I have no idea, but the offer letter was filed along with the lawsuit and it's right there signed by Vince McMahon. $750k for 14 dates a month.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

coconono posted:

Jim Herd was pretty loving dumb.

Alain Post posted:

You fellas realize you're responding to a joke, right?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The American Dream posted:

Vince was really really desperate earlier in 97 and always goes back to his formula even if he needs to pay out. Remember that he signed Bret to that contract in 96, he'd been trying to spend his way out of the hole just a year before Montreal.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Halloween Jack posted:

You fellas realize you're responding to a joke, right?

You know, I'd appreciate it if you didn't call me names

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

hahahahaha the Retro Observer this week is all about Road Wild '98

quote:

Road Wild is the car wreck of wrestling PPV shows. A yearly disaster waiting to happen, and this year's version was by far the worst of the three. In fact, had either Hogan had his usual non-working boots on during the main event, or had Chris Jericho vs. Juventud Guerrera never taken place, it would have been the single worst PPV show in history. As it was, it has to live with the distinction of being just a really bad show.

In front of a free largely biker crowd estimated by those live at anywhere from 8,500 to 12,000 (of course exaggerated on the air by Bobby Heenan as 35,000 to 40,000) in the midst of the famed Sturgis Rally, WCW's attempts at a speedy self-destruction of what was just a few weeks back among the hottest wrestling promotions in history during a period when the industry itself is on fire, was revved up to near warp speed.

The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00. The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00. The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00. The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00. The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00. The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00. The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00. The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00. The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00. The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00. The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00. The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00. The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yes, I am actually laughing out loud at that. For longer than a Mongo match should last, too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
If that match happened we might have had a scanner's situation with Dave.

Beaverseatwood2
Feb 23, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

Yes, I am actually laughing out loud at that. For longer than a Mongo match should last, too.

Fuckin mongo, man. I was just watching mongo+benoit vs jarrett+guerrero. They actually had a great match and mongo seemed over as gently caress. Nitro 98 i believe

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Luigi Thirty posted:

hahahahaha the Retro Observer this week is all about Road Wild '98

The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00. The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00. The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00. The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00. The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00. The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00. The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00. The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00. The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00. The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00. The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00. The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00. The Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams match was scheduled to go 17:00.

I get the need for having a lovely undercard match to kill time, especially when it's a Horseman vs NWO. But to pay $30 for a show involving 2 guys that I wouldn't have watched main event Saturday Night when I was 14 is crazy. Always remember this before you complain that a PPV on the network had a couple matches that were bad or you just couldn't force yourself to give a poo poo about.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
15 years ago

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I can't believe I ordered a Doug Dellinger trading card off eBay even for $1.50. At least it came in a thick sleeve with a cardboard backing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

I can't believe I ordered a Doug Dellinger trading card off eBay even for $1.50. At least it came in a thick sleeve with a cardboard backing.

Did Don West play ny role in this decision

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I would jump at a Don West trading card like the man himself told me it was a 10/10.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hah what did the shipping cost you?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

haljordan posted:

Hah what did the shipping cost you?

$2.50.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

quote:

course in typical WCW fashion, the first hour storyline fell apart by the end of the second hour. Warrior, in his interview, confronting Hogan largely to set up a planned main event at the 10/25 Halloween Havoc PPV in Las Vegas although his first match would be at Fall Brawl on 9/13 in Winston-Salem as part of War Games, said that he didn't come in from an invitation but on his own (blowing off Page's angle), said that beating Hogan was no big deal because everyone had done it (blowing off interest in his own eventual singles match with Hogan) but did promise to return next week (where he should still have plenty of ratings life). Warrior also used the term Ultimate three times in his interview where he, in his own foreign language, apparently made references to the 1990 Wrestlemania match where Warrior beat Hogan, called Ed Leslie Hogan's Barber in reference to his days as Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake while Hogan, Bischoff and Disciple looked stunned. The rights to the word Ultimate as part of Warrior are still pending in court. Despite everyone in the company being given explicit instructions never to use that name due to the impending court fight, Hellwig still used the term.

The fans were starting to turn on Hellwig due to the length of the interview at the end but there was basically no real damage done. His reaction was very similar to that of Roddy Piper when he returned, in that the fans were so thrilled to see someone they perceived as a superstar that they overlooked how outdated and out of touch they were. My feeling is that Hellwig will mean a lot of business for his PPV match with Hogan and short-term ratings, but that in the long-run I don't know what they can do with him. He's signed for either three or four PPV appearances and about 30 Nitro appearances which are certainly more than enough to get old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

ayn rand hand job posted:

He's signed for either three or four PPV appearances and about 30 Nitro appearances which are certainly more than enough to get old.

Wow I didn't know he had to do far more, did he have to bail out of the contract of the WCW still paid him anyway?