Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Don't have the build done yet and won't for a while. 1vX seems different than a small anti Zerg force.

I just need to focus on getting something to a level where I can group with some of you... Mostly so I can then learn how to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Chomp8645 posted:

It's hard to take these studies seriously because the definitions of "game player" or "gamer" are as wide as the Grand Canyon. Sometimes it is anyone who spends x+ hours a week, sometimes it's anyone who owns a non-mobile gaming platform, many times it is "anybody who admits to playing 10 or more minutes of literally any game a month, including online backgammon or Farmville."

Forumgoers are a small sample pool of course, but several ESO main forum threads have asked the same question and the majority of people who at least play this game really are in their 30s or older. In fact, many seemed to be 40+. Maybe it's because Elder Scrolls is such an old franchise in general.

ESO's skill system is a bit shallow, but part of it is the problem of hybrid builds sucking. If I remember right it wasn't like this early on, but patches later you're doing it wrong if you try to build a stamina/magicka battlemage or something. It is still more in-depth in terms of combat than many other MMOs out there, just because dodging, rolling, and actual targeting exists, but if you're looking for a deeply in-depth combat system in an MMO you're barking up the wrong tree. That's not to say this game isn't challenging at all, just that MMOs really don't have super deep combat systems in general because combat moves have to adjust for server and player lag. That's also probably why enemy heavy attacks are so telegraphed you could space out for a couple of seconds and still dodge the move.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Ennu/tgieday please post that effortpost about mage/tower vs warrior/apprentice for DPS numbers so I can steal it and make another long effortpost on the ESO forums please TIA.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
I've been making and deleting characters because the characters don't really look the same in game as in the char creator and I've hit some sort of deletion cap.

When do you get to delete more characters?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I want to say you gain one deletion per week?

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
They really need to implement a goddamn barber shop now it's getting ridiculous. They could just poo poo out some crown store thing that brings up the character editor again I wouldn't mind

Brasuca
May 5, 2008

by Fragmaster
Just started playing NA PC. Name is Brasuk

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

Scyantific posted:

Ennu/tgieday please post that effortpost about mage/tower vs warrior/apprentice for DPS numbers so I can steal it and make another long effortpost on the ESO forums please TIA.

I'm not sure why you'd volunteer for that torture, but here's some fun facts about mundus stones. I'm using stamina language, but the same applies to magicka.

1. Do what you want, there's usually only a few percent difference in dps between the best choice and a merely good one. For example, if you want more healing from Surge, pick up Thief even if it lowers your dps.

If you didn't read #1 or really want those few percent...

2. Tower is always worse than Warrior. Without bonuses, Tower gives only 1280 stamina (~122 weapon damage), while Warrior gives 166 weapon damage . When bonuses are applied, Warrior is typically even more favorable.

3. While leveling, Warrior is best. When you're killing stuff effortlessly in Craglorn, switch to Thief/Shadow.

4. When choosing between Thief and Shadow, pick Thief below about 55% critical chance (without mundus, the exact threshold depends on champ points and class).

To highlight how little the choice of mundus matters among the good ones, here's how all this looks for my imperial templar, which is typical of stamina builds with endgame gear:

The horizontal axis is critical chance, the vertical is dps with mundus divided by dps without. A mundus with + is assuming chest, head, and legs are infused instead of divines (this used to be a reasonable thing to do, but is generally not anymore).

My critical chance without mundus is just under 50%, so Thief is the best choice for me. But Shadow and Warrior are so close that it doesn't really matter.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Been playing this casually since GMG had their deep discount on the game. I'm in EP on PC, @Scoss. Wouldn't mind having some people to group or chat with.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Why the long face?

SisterFister
Oct 31, 2005

I'm sure you and your 37 dollars will prove to be quite the legal sensation
VR1 and I just found out about bag merchants.

Is there any sort of "good poo poo you should know" guide or anything like that? I hate finding out I'm missing out on stuff like this.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
This has a lot of good stuff: http://tamrielfoundry.com/2015/06/veteran-wisdom-new-players/.

Get all of your skills to the morph to see what they do, it's not always obvious from the base skill. It's easiest to level skills while questing, don't wait until Craglorn to start. You can level whatever you want by putting it on the bar, even if it's for the wrong weapon.

Decon everything on your first character (especially glyphs) so you can craft for your level. Refine raw materials and do writs for gold tempers. Save your Cadwell's Gold money for your endgame gear.

And you can right-click anybody in your guild or party and travel to them for free on PC, hopefully that's in the console version as well.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 2, 2015

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Mizuti posted:

Why the long face?

It's hard being an Argonian Ordinator.

SisterFister
Oct 31, 2005

I'm sure you and your 37 dollars will prove to be quite the legal sensation

tgidieday posted:

This has a lot of good stuff: http://tamrielfoundry.com/2015/06/veteran-wisdom-new-players/.

Get all of your skills to the morph to see what they do, it's not always obvious from the base skill. It's easiest to level skills while questing, don't wait until Craglorn to start. You can level whatever you want by putting it on the bar, even if it's for the wrong weapon.

Decon everything on your first character (especially glyphs) so you can craft for your level. Refine raw materials and do writs for gold tempers. Save your Cadwell's Gold money for your endgame gear.

And you can right-click anybody in your guild or party and travel to them for free on PC, hopefully that's in the console version as well.

This is all awesome, thank you

Gergiss
Apr 4, 2015
Clicked wrong button and accidentally posted in the main page. Looking for an invite. New to Ebonheart Pact. name is @Gergiss

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Bought this game in the PSN sale and just got out of the Wailing Prison. Picked Imperial so I can be snooty and show off that I'm an idiot that paid money for this and some crowns. Also went with Dragon Knight because I like tanking. Feels like a jankier Skyrim so far, which I like!

Edit

I'm dumb. My account name is Static_Rook with the underscore. My character name is Static Rook. Yes, I am still inventive. Looking for an EP guild invite.

Static Rook fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 2, 2015

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Static Rook posted:

Bought this game in the PSN sale and just got out of the Wailing Prison. Picked Imperial so I can be snooty and show off that I'm an idiot that paid money for this and some crowns. Also went with Dragon Knight because I like tanking. Feels like a jankier Skyrim so far, which I like!

Edit

I'm dumb. My account name is Static_Rook with the underscore. My character name is Static Rook. Yes, I am still inventive. Looking for an EP guild invite.

IE is a waste, you chump. Unless it's still on that sale where IE is cheaper than standard.

I'll send you invites when I get home. You'll be getting three.

EDIT: Invites sent.

LastGoodBoy fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 3, 2015

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
Holy poo poo with these changes to battle levelling i might as well just throw my restoration staff in the trash in pvp

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

vug posted:

Holy poo poo with these changes to battle levelling i might as well just throw my restoration staff in the trash in pvp

Why? Healers are the glue to Imperial Sewer groups. If anything, I say they're much more viable now.

LastGoodBoy fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 3, 2015

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
i might be doing something wrong but trying to heal myself with healing springs is horribly slow and combat prayer wipes out all my magicka just to get me (a glass cannon without much health) back to full health. casting power surge and damaging stuff is a much better way of restoring health and the resto staff skills are relatively useless

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Looking for an invite on the PC for the EP guild. @Chatanya

Game is actually fun to solo.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

vug posted:

i might be doing something wrong but trying to heal myself with healing springs is horribly slow and combat prayer wipes out all my magicka just to get me (a glass cannon without much health) back to full health. casting power surge and damaging stuff is a much better way of restoring health and the resto staff skills are relatively useless

If you're only trying to heal yourself, then yes, throw out the resto and go full dps using power surge and hardened ward to keep you afloat. For extra toughness, consider running sword and board for your second bar. For skills that you don't weave, it won't drop your damage (and actually will improve your damage if you use a magicka glyph on the shield or take advantage of getting a 12th piece for set bonuses).

If you're trying to be a healer with a group, healing springs or rapid regeneration are both excellent if used well ahead of time, you should have no problem spamming these since heavy resto attacks will keep your magicka topped off. Efficiency-wise, combat prayer is more of a buff than an emergency heal, sounds like you might want healing ward for that instead.

Might be a gear problem, too, what are you running?

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

JackBadass posted:

IE is a waste, you chump

Ehh, not really... I'd say the "all race unlock" alone makes the IE worth it if you really care about either what you look like or what race to choose for your planned min/max build. I bought IE and don't regret it, because I could play with the main goon EP guild but play different races at the same time. Argonians are the only EP race I actually like so if IE didn't exist I'd literally have a character selection screen full of lizards because I couldn't roll a Khajiit or Redguard without missing out on grouping opportunities.

Plus since Cadwell's allows you to technically play all 3 factions as if you rolled the character there anyway, it's not like other faction games where you're missing content by choosing faction X instead of Y.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Imperial does not give you the play any race in any faction option. That is the Explorer. Imperial only gives you Imperial in all factions.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Cuckoo posted:

Ehh, not really... I'd say the "all race unlock" alone makes the IE worth it if you really care about either what you look like or what race to choose for your planned min/max build. I bought IE and don't regret it, because I could play with the main goon EP guild but play different races at the same time. Argonians are the only EP race I actually like so if IE didn't exist I'd literally have a character selection screen full of lizards because I couldn't roll a Khajiit or Redguard without missing out on grouping opportunities.

Plus since Cadwell's allows you to technically play all 3 factions as if you rolled the character there anyway, it's not like other faction games where you're missing content by choosing faction X instead of Y.

All race unlock doesn't come with IE, that's in the Adventurer's Pack. IE comes with the Imperial race, which since it no longer gets the better drop rate, is nearly worthless. The white horse is nice, but not really worth the money.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

People who don't spend money like how I do are dumb.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Ok so Lowbie PvP is fun, but holy poo poo is it full of the biggest spergs ever.

:v: :"Hey guys let's push Faergyl and make it easier to push for Emp since it'll cut off AD."

:downs: : "NO gently caress YOU WE'RE PUSHING FOR EMP RIGHT NOW. WE DON'T NEED FAERGYL OR A STUPID SCROLL."

E: My deathfeed was basically WRECKING BLOW WRECKING BLOW WRECKING BLOW *occasional executioner*

This was against multiple AD scrubs.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 4, 2015

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You say scrubs use wrecking blow, I say scrubs don't dodge a one second telegraph.

e: If it was me, you'd see a shooting star in there.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

tgidieday posted:

You say scrubs use wrecking blow, I say scrubs don't dodge a one second telegraph.

e: If it was me, you'd see a shooting star in there.

PvP people will always whine about whatever move kills them and say it's for scrubs/noobs/etc.

jabro posted:

People who don't spend money like how I do are dumb.

I'm just stating the fact that there's nothing in IE anymore to make it worth the money. Unless you want a crab or a white horse.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Oh he's definitely right, a level 10 spamming wrecking blow is a cliche at this point. But that's more of a battle leveling problem than a wrecking blow problem, which I'm sure is going to be solved by nerfing my bread-and-butter PvE skill.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Another fun session of PvP just now. Led my own squad into taking both Chalman and BRK.

Nulity
Sep 26, 2010

my nose hurts
i'm hungry
this suit is cutting into my tail
i wish i was at home chilling with hist

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster

tgidieday posted:

If you're only trying to heal yourself, then yes, throw out the resto and go full dps using power surge and hardened ward to keep you afloat. For extra toughness, consider running sword and board for your second bar. For skills that you don't weave, it won't drop your damage (and actually will improve your damage if you use a magicka glyph on the shield or take advantage of getting a 12th piece for set bonuses).

If you're trying to be a healer with a group, healing springs or rapid regeneration are both excellent if used well ahead of time, you should have no problem spamming these since heavy resto attacks will keep your magicka topped off. Efficiency-wise, combat prayer is more of a buff than an emergency heal, sounds like you might want healing ward for that instead.

Might be a gear problem, too, what are you running?

kagrenac's hope (for the spell damage boost) and 4 pieces of magnus's gift, jewellery enchanted to boost spell damage and reduce magicka cost
it used to be a good setup for pvp because i was using healing ward and hardened ward, etc. but since the last update the shields are tiny so it doesn't seem worth trying to use them in pvp

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
The days of stacking shields to get permanent 40k are over, you're gonna have to play like the rest of us now. Barrier and a sword and board bar are a good stop-gap while you adjust.

How do you have 5 kagrenac, 4 magnus, and 3 jewelry while using a resto staff?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Ok... I should do some of this lowbie PvP.

E:i can spam wrecking blowactually my current project is all AoE and doesn't have 2H yet, but might be fun.

e;e: I am using a lowbie dropped set called Viper, some Hunding and Night's Silence until I can craft Medium Hundings and Night Mother. It's working pretty well for level. Lots of Poisoning. Bow and DW Stam Sorc.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 4, 2015

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Sogol posted:

Ok... I should do some of this lowbie PvP.

E:i can spam wrecking blowactually my current project is all AoE and doesn't have 2H yet, but might be fun.

e;e: I am using a lowbie dropped set called Viper, some Hunding and Night's Silence until I can craft Medium Hundings and Night Mother. It's working pretty well for level. Lots of Poisoning. Bow and DW Stam Sorc.

Lowbiw PvP is the only good PvP. Once you get into the vet PvP, it gets real boring unless you're in the sewers.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Looking for a guild invite to the goon guilds, coming back to give this game another shot. Username: @wdayer

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Sporks come back and make a lowbie PvP toon with me. The new endgame is level 40. Roll in a full purple set and help demolish people with more CP than common sense in Blackwater.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Getting so sick of these loving blueberries camping in front of the sewers ganking players trying to get in. ZOS needs to patch in a portal at the home keep or put faction guards in front of the entrance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Scyantific posted:

Sporks come back and make a lowbie PvP toon with me. The new endgame is level 40. Roll in a full purple set and help demolish people with more CP than common sense in Blackwater.

This applies to anyone and everyone on NA EP PC, btw. Blackwater Blade (the non-vet PvP campaign) seems to be the most active and fun of PvP campaigns. Get a toon to 40, find one of our crafters ingame and ask them to kit you out in a purple level 40 gearset and go in and start wrecking balls.

• Locked thread