Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Bait and Swatch posted:

This is why Eonwe is #guildleader.

Also, their idea of a class dedicated solely to building/crafting/gathering tickles my inner ore miner. Especially since we will be vikings and they have dwarves.

if gathering isnt shittier than it needs to be, ill probably be this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Goonionism works best once everyone is established and self sufficient, and providing surplus time/items.

This way, nobody really gets screwed, and the greater good is served by things most goons don't need anymore, but new goons might.

Also the best thing to do is have your guilds lead by someone who is a good diplomat, that can delegate. Someone who can balance people that want to push PVE content and organization, and people like me, who are pretty one track minded about just wanting to hurt pubbie feelings.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Blazing Zero posted:

if gathering isnt shittier than it needs to be, ill probably be this guy

Their vision for building/crafting seems pretty good: http://youtu.be/NPQh2Bm3NbE

As always, their ability to execute that vision remains to be seen. Though their CUBE system for building design seems to be the first, and most difficult part, and that seems to be going decently.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

How much funbux did Archeage with the $150 preorder pack? Whatever it is that is how much you owe me the tax certs I had to buy to place all those plots on launch for you fuckers.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think Mothra put down like 10+ plots for goons too

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Eonwe for #LordOfGoons

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
nope

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Haha, you one of the losers who play the game saying "HAY guys, I'm gonna to lvl up a tradeskill, ILL BE THE TRADESKILL GUY", Everyone gives him stuff and then, "Games boring, bye".

No, but you appear to be one of those people that make comments without reading the text they're quoting. So good job, I guess. I was one of the people that spent most of their time standing on the bow of a boat, bubbling dorks off of other boats and actually having fun.

Goonunism works fine. In some games. It's absolutely DEVESTATING used against Pubbies in ARK, for instance. But it relies on the people receiving the fruits of everyone's effort actually doing what they promised to. Which sure as hell wasn't what happened in AA-- there were what, at least three separate occasions of "funnel to x" followed by that person loving off to do whatever? And yet leadership got oh-so mad when no one wanted to funnel anymore.

Eonwe and Kimsemus are probably overall correct in their assessments, though I would also add that it ALSO works best when goonunism is about elevating everyone to a base level of being-established/competency/whatever and THEN about pushing forward. AA was the other way around-- they wanted to funnel to people to boost them into really good gear/ships/realestate/whatever with the promise they would then turn around and lift up the lowbies. In contrast, the aforementioned Goonunism in ARK, a few mostly-selfless-and-thankless people poopsock some levels and farm up materials so that when a new level 1 goon arrives in the game, they can pick up a full set of decent gear, hop on a tamed dinosaur, and just go to town, and we have like a half-dozen things they can be doing to help and be useful at any given point in time. that works, not this Archeage-style Trickle-Down Economics bullshit.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Zizi posted:

No, but you appear to be one of those people that make comments without reading the text they're quoting. So good job, I guess. I was one of the people that spent most of their time standing on the bow of a boat, bubbling dorks off of other boats and actually having fun.

Goonunism works fine. In some games. It's absolutely DEVESTATING used against Pubbies in ARK, for instance. But it relies on the people receiving the fruits of everyone's effort actually doing what they promised to. Which sure as hell wasn't what happened in AA-- there were what, at least three separate occasions of "funnel to x" followed by that person loving off to do whatever? And yet leadership got oh-so mad when no one wanted to funnel anymore.

Eonwe and Kimsemus are probably overall correct in their assessments, though I would also add that it ALSO works best when goonunism is about elevating everyone to a base level of being-established/competency/whatever and THEN about pushing forward. AA was the other way around-- they wanted to funnel to people to boost them into really good gear/ships/realestate/whatever with the promise they would then turn around and lift up the lowbies. In contrast, the aforementioned Goonunism in ARK, a few mostly-selfless-and-thankless people poopsock some levels and farm up materials so that when a new level 1 goon arrives in the game, they can pick up a full set of decent gear, hop on a tamed dinosaur, and just go to town, and we have like a half-dozen things they can be doing to help and be useful at any given point in time. that works, not this Archeage-style Trickle-Down Economics bullshit.

In AA, like real life, conservatism cannot fail, it can only be failed.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What the gently caress is ARK? isnt that the dinosaur game you can eat bad berries and you spend 30 mins making GBS threads? Its a rust clone.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Bait and Swatch posted:

This is why Eonwe is #guildleader.

Also, their idea of a class dedicated solely to building/crafting/gathering tickles my inner ore miner. Especially since we will be vikings and they have dwarves.

Hopefully they'll have a Darkness Falls equivalent with top-tier resource nodes and no safe zones.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Zizi posted:

I am the capitalization and usage of the word pubbies

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Typical Pubbie posted:

Hopefully they'll have a Darkness Falls equivalent with top-tier resource nodes and no safe zones.

I don't remember if it was said in that video or not, but there will be safe resource areas with standard resources, but higher tier resources will be in the pvp areas to provide added incentive to take and defend land. The safe resource areas are so that no faction can be fully cut off, causing players to quit the server.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I hope the new DF is like chip wars from RF online.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Zizi posted:

friend, i hear you on the thankless poopsocking part. everyone remembers BFM and the AA crew ruining everything. no one remembers the quiet people busily building things for goons to have fun with.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Bait and Swatch posted:

Their vision for building/crafting seems pretty good: http://youtu.be/NPQh2Bm3NbE

As always, their ability to execute that vision remains to be seen. Though their CUBE system for building design seems to be the first, and most difficult part, and that seems to be going decently.

I was worried this was going to be that horrible voxelmancy poo poo EQL turn into, but a related video showed a much simpler means of construction.

However, did anyone stop to think players would just make their own crafter alt so they can make their own house instead of pay another person to do it? Like come on, you're not fooling anyone into thinking crafters are going to earn a virtual income.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I was worried this was going to be that horrible voxelmancy poo poo EQL turn into, but a related video showed a much simpler means of construction.

However, did anyone stop to think players would just make their own crafter alt so they can make their own house instead of pay another person to do it? Like come on, you're not fooling anyone into thinking crafters are going to earn a virtual income.
Gold sellers can do pretty well sometimes I hear.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Freakazoid_ posted:

You don't think players who focus primarily on crafting/gathering in MMOs can pull a profit of in-game spacebux?

Given that there won't be PVE content providing super-powerful gear, I would think focusing on crafting is more viable. It's not that everyone won't have a crafting alt, it's that a subset of players will spend much more time on it than others, resulting in increased production and income from crafting than someone who just has an alt. As the game seems group focused, dedicated crafters will also play a larger role.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I am still on the fence if making crafters a separate class, that would not be able to contribute much in actual combat, is a good idea.
However if they are also the guys that get to man the barricades, pour oil and use the ballista's they have built.... well then there is hope.

Don't forget every class will have access to crafting, however crafters will be either able to master it further or won't be locked into only one or two crafts.
So you can still go gather most resources you need for the object you want yourself, and they ask/pay a crafter to create said object.

I really hope items will have durability that can't be completely repaired, to keep the economy flowing

Orv
May 4, 2011

Evernoob posted:

I really hope items will have durability that can't be completely repaired, to keep the economy flowing

I can't speak to the other stuff but this is currently the intent. Armor and weapon repairs can be done to a certain extent in the field by the combat class, but you'll need a crafting class for full repairs.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Evernoob posted:

I am still on the fence if making crafters a separate class, that would not be able to contribute much in actual combat, is a good idea.
However if they are also the guys that get to man the barricades, pour oil and use the ballista's they have built.... well then there is hope.

Don't forget every class will have access to crafting, however crafters will be either able to master it further or won't be locked into only one or two crafts.
So you can still go gather most resources you need for the object you want yourself, and they ask/pay a crafter to create said object.

I'm sure there will be some powerful perks to the crafting class, such as building advanced siege equipment, crafting superior items (probably faster) building strongholds etc.

I'm sure it won't be just passive/crafting things though, I imagine if they stick to keeping it a separate class, it will likely be something of a combat engineer.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
New date for beta to be announced tomorrow on the livestream.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I never got into DAoC because I was playing RYL and WoW back in those days instead. I had heard lots of positive reviews for DAoC, and frankly that's probably the only reason I'm even a little bit interested in this game. I'm still extremely reluctant to buy into any "founder" poo poo after my ArcheAge experience throwing away $150. I'm also still bitter at how Mark Jacobs killed Warhammer Online, so I'm in agreement with the people that have said in this thread that the game feels like a trap. It's something I'll continue to monitor, but it'll have to show a lot of positive signs of being a really different MMO that could succeed before I spend any money whatsoever on it.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

ruffz posted:

I never got into DAoC because I was playing RYL and WoW back in those days instead. I had heard lots of positive reviews for DAoC, and frankly that's probably the only reason I'm even a little bit interested in this game. I'm still extremely reluctant to buy into any "founder" poo poo after my ArcheAge experience throwing away $150. I'm also still bitter at how Mark Jacobs killed Warhammer Online, so I'm in agreement with the people that have said in this thread that the game feels like a trap. It's something I'll continue to monitor, but it'll have to show a lot of positive signs of being a really different MMO that could succeed before I spend any money whatsoever on it.

That is a wise and prudent course of action. I will probably buy into the beta once more details are available because I am an idiot who fails to learn from my past experiences.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Bait and Swatch posted:

You don't think players who focus primarily on crafting/gathering in MMOs can pull a profit of in-game spacebux?

Given that there won't be PVE content providing super-powerful gear, I would think focusing on crafting is more viable. It's not that everyone won't have a crafting alt, it's that a subset of players will spend much more time on it than others, resulting in increased production and income from crafting than someone who just has an alt. As the game seems group focused, dedicated crafters will also play a larger role.

There's a difference between crafting and harvesting. Very few MMOs let you make a profit from crafted materials. All of the money is in harvesting.

If this game's crafters are also harvesters, they'll make money just fine. Unless homes are being burned and armor is being torn away at a high rate, crafters will be a thing you switch to when the main force already has enough guys to defend/attack stuff.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

ruffz posted:

I would argue that really, WAR was killed by unrealistic shipping dates and an over-zealous publisher.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kimsemus posted:

I would argue that really, WAR was killed by unrealistic shipping dates and an over-zealous publisher.

Also not merging servers.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I've had an itch for a solid PvP experience for years, and WAR was the only game in the last several years that began to scratch that itch before its demise. The PvP in RYL and vanilla WoW was the most fun I've had in an MMO. I feel like if CU comes close to those experiences, I'll want to play despite my gut telling me this could be another disaster of a game that implodes after free months expire. I find it interesting that they're basically offering a lifetime subscription starting at the $275 level. I can't think of a single MMO since LOTRO back in 2007 that I wish I had bought a lifetime sub for (I'm still playing it after 8 years).

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
The beta announcement was rather lacking, given that they implied earlier in the week that there would be an actual date. Instead, they hedged and said sometime in the winter season after running the standard line of not wanting to give a date and have to push it again.

The class reveal was some hybrid healer archetype, seems like a paladin with aoe heals/damage.

E: He dual wields flails, and the arthurian version powers up with beer... or something. I wasn't paying full attention.

Bait and Swatch fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 2, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ruffz posted:

Daoc was dead when wow came out. Mythic can't balance games, daoc only thrived because there was only daoc vs eq1. Your search for MMO Mecca does not exist.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

WoW was such an improvement over EQ1 and DaoC it was amazing.

Health regen
EQ1 - 30 minutes between pulls unless you had a cleric and enchanter for mana regen. This was fixed later on.
DaoC - pulls were pretty consistent. Many healer classes, good sources of mana regen, Without these it was still a minute to five between pulls.
WoW - you can eat food now to get health back just sit the gently caress down

Levels
EQ1 - you could lose exp by death, you could lose levels by death, you had hell levels that took more exp
DaoC - you couldn't lose levels by death, you could return most exp by finding your grave, last 10 levels had half steps to prevent you from losing more than 50% of your level once you hit 50% of your level.
WoW - gently caress you level up every day

Gear
EQ1 - best in slot, mostly raids, took a long time and a lot of drama. Crafting wasn't good even when it was. While leveling you had to do specific things or be hosed. A lot of gear score poo poo and twinks.
DaoC - Crafting still bad. Gear decays over time with use. Can never fully repair. Great gear from raids, good gear from spell crafting.
WoW - Purps purps purps gently caress lets go raiding.

DaoC was a good improvement over EQ1 but WoW came along and did the same thing. A lot of the poo poo from DaoC was just loving awful.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Daoc and eq1/wow aren't even similar types of games

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

THE PWNER posted:

Daoc and eq1/wow aren't even similar types of games

You are wrong.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

without wrong think, we wouldnt know whats the correct opinion so thank you pwner.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

gently caress WoW.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Put me straight on the treadmill and never let me off. I want boring rear end arena pvp and mandatory raiding!!!!!! Hahahaha YES!!!

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Kazvall posted:

Put me straight on the treadmill and never let me off. I want boring rear end arena pvp and mandatory raiding!!!!!! Hahahaha YES!!!

its epic gaming for sure

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Third World Reggin posted:

WoW was such an improvement over EQ1 and DaoC it was amazing.

Health regen
EQ1 - 30 minutes between pulls unless you had a cleric and enchanter for mana regen. This was fixed later on.
DaoC - pulls were pretty consistent. Many healer classes, good sources of mana regen, Without these it was still a minute to five between pulls.
WoW - you can eat food now to get health back just sit the gently caress down

Levels
EQ1 - you could lose exp by death, you could lose levels by death, you had hell levels that took more exp
DaoC - you couldn't lose levels by death, you could return most exp by finding your grave, last 10 levels had half steps to prevent you from losing more than 50% of your level once you hit 50% of your level.
WoW - gently caress you level up every day

Gear
EQ1 - best in slot, mostly raids, took a long time and a lot of drama. Crafting wasn't good even when it was. While leveling you had to do specific things or be hosed. A lot of gear score poo poo and twinks.
DaoC - Crafting still bad. Gear decays over time with use. Can never fully repair. Great gear from raids, good gear from spell crafting.
WoW - Purps purps purps gently caress lets go raiding.

DaoC was a good improvement over EQ1 but WoW came along and did the same thing. A lot of the poo poo from DaoC was just loving awful.

Nice comparison some changes though

Daoc
Your life will suck rear end if you dont have access to a buff bot or own one
If you dont have a stam regen you will hate how long it takes to run places
If you guys think 15m timer for battlegrounds are bad, you should of see how long it took wizards to teleport you to pvp at release.
Hope your side has a way to actually lvl up to max lvl at launch, gently caress you mythic for not fixing albion's leveling areas.
Crafting actually had the best items, but took alot of money and planning to max stats.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 5, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I forgot about stamina regeneration and how only one faction had access to it at the start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Man, I remember all of the above. Turns out I've been wearing some pretty rose-tinted glasses about DAOC.

I still probably won't learn anything and will play this dumb game too.

• Locked thread