Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Starshark posted:

So you admit there's a line. Now you just have to figure out that where you draw it is your personal opinion and can't be lumped under 'no speech should be banned'.

Obviously there is a line this isn't a legal document it's a discussion between humans and you know perfectly well what I mean by "no speech should be banned"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Amethyst posted:

I mean if you're happy to ban anti abortionists what about Wahhabi Islamists?

Why not? One fundamentalist is the same as any other.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Amethyst posted:

Obviously there is a line this isn't a legal document it's a discussion between humans and you know perfectly well what I mean by "no speech should be banned"

Actually, I don't. You sound like a lolb who thinks we should be able to say whatever we want with no consequences. I think if you come to this country calling for specific people to be murdered (and that includes the Wahhabist example you brought up that you think is a slam-dunk for some reason), then you shouldn't be given a platform to air your views and the easiest way to ensure that is to not let you in the country.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

Why not? One fundamentalist is the same as any other.

Great! Let's ban all religions deemed by the immigration minister to be extreme.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

Amethyst posted:

I don't think any speech should be banned, personally.

Eat poo poo and die.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Starshark posted:

Actually, I don't. You sound like a lolb who thinks we should be able to say whatever we want with no consequences. I think if you come to this country calling for specific people to be murdered (and that includes the Wahhabist example you brought up that you think is a slam-dunk for some reason), then you shouldn't be given a platform to air your views and the easiest way to ensure that is to not let you in the country.

If she has threatened someone in public then it is a criminal matter to be dealt with by the justice system. If it is hearsay we shouldn't be basing any kind of visa decisions on it.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
September is an aggressive month.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Redcordial posted:

Eat poo poo and die.

It's incredible to me that support for mainstream, American style free speech laws provokes this kind of response in many circles now.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Friendos please stop fighting, you're all dumb :(

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Amethyst posted:

If she has threatened someone in public then it is a criminal matter to be dealt with by the justice system. If it is hearsay we shouldn't be basing any kind of visa decisions on it.

What if the country of origin has a lolb approach to free speech and doesn't think its justice system needs to deal with it. :allears:

tithin posted:

Friendos please stop fighting, you're all dumb :(

Dude, if you want the getalong gang it's not like there's no BYOB thread.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I guess you guys would have no problem arresting and deporting this fellow, huh

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
My highschool liberry had a book entitled "Abortion: the Silent Holocaust". It was uh, not a cool read

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Starshark posted:

What if the country of origin has a lolb approach to free speech and doesn't think its justice system needs to deal with it. :allears:

Obviously this scenario you just made up in your head doesn't apply here. The UK and USA have robust slander and libel legislation.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Amethyst posted:

Obviously this scenario you just made up in your head doesn't apply here. The UK and USA have robust slander and libel legislation.

Then why hasn't the fundie who calls for the murder of abortion doctors been arrested? I'm going to ignore the 'slander and libel' bit I don't know where the gently caress you're going with that and I don't think you do either.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Amethyst posted:

If that is a specific threat and not a figure of speech he should face some penalty, yes. He's already in this country and therefore subject to our laws so there's no need for deportation, but some intervention is required.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Amethyst posted:

100% fine. If he's not an Australia citizen, kick him back to whatever loving rock he crawled out from under. If he is, jail for hate speech. If that makes me wrong, I'm not interested in being right.

In fact, you already had the right idea:

Amethyst posted:

Great! Let's ban all religions

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

The Peccadillo posted:

My highschool liberry had a book entitled "Abortion: the Silent Holocaust". It was uh, not a cool read

Was that an intentional mis-spelling? because nicely done!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Starshark posted:

Then why hasn't the fundie who calls for the murder of abortion doctors been arrested? I'm going to ignore the 'slander and libel' bit I don't know where the gently caress you're going with that and I don't think you do either.

Oh okay then. Great. The Australian immigration department is a better system for punishing people than actual justice systems. This is cool and good and it will make the world better.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Amethyst posted:

Great! Let's ban all religions deemed by the immigration minister to be extreme.

That would be an excellent idea. The obvious catch is whether or not the immigration minister is reliable enough to apply it equally to fundie Christians as he/she would to other religions.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Amethyst posted:

Oh okay then. Great. The Australian immigration department is a better system for punishing people than actual justice systems. This is cool and good and it will make the world better.

You're mistaking traveling to Australia, a privilege, with the right that people have to not be threatened by people who would murder someone for performing a medical procedure.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Memento posted:

You're mistaking traveling to Australia, a privilege, with the right that people have to not be threatened by people who would murder someone for performing a medical procedure.

Limiting people's movement around the world is a punishment. Furthermore, by setting this precedent, other countries will likely follow suit.

Also, the idea that letting undesirables within our borders on tourist visas is tainting the Australian body politic and making it unsafe is a fallacious and paranoid one.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Amethyst posted:

Limiting people's movement around the world is a punishment. Furthermore, by setting this precedent, other countries will likely follow suit.

Also, the idea that letting undesirables within our borders on tourist visas is tainting the Australian body politic and making it unsafe is a fallacious and paranoid one.

No, actually, limiting people's movement around the world isn't a punishment. I really don't get how you can say it is. Traveling to other countries is a privilege that country gives to you, and it's yours to lose. Like, by threatening to murder people for performing a medical procedure.

Tell me why you think you should be allowed free entry to every country ever. What actually gives you the right to do that? I'm curious as to your thought process.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

What obligation do we have to let anyone who wants to come here into the country? Clearly we have obligations to look after those who are in danger (which we are not really meeting at the moment), but outside of that situation why let people in unless it suits us? If the unemployment rate is high shouldn't we be cutting back on migrant workers? If people have hosed up attitudes towards women or LGBT people then why let them add to our own problematic culture?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Memento posted:

No, actually, limiting people's movement around the world isn't a punishment. I really don't get how you can say it is. Traveling to other countries is a privilege that country gives to you, and it's yours to lose. Like, by threatening to murder people for performing a medical procedure.

Tell me why you think you should be allowed free entry to every country ever. What actually gives you the right to do that? I'm curious as to your thought process.

I'm not going to go into huge amount of detail about my broad philosophical reasons. Nor did I advocate for totally open borders for everyone forever.

But I do believe that limiting international movement is an imposition on someone's general freedom.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

What obligation do we have to let anyone who wants to come here into the country? Clearly we have obligations to look after those who are in danger (which we are not really meeting at the moment), but outside of that situation why let people in unless it suits us? If the unemployment rate is high shouldn't we be cutting back on migrant workers? If people have hosed up attitudes towards women or LGBT people then why let them add to our own problematic culture?

Cultural problems aren't solved with a punitive legislative sledgehammer. Trying to do so with whatever ideas you hold that day may make you look very bad in the future. Look at the white Australia policy.

Help culturally disadvantaged people with legislation. But don't punish cultural undesirables.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anyone else playing "Amethyst argument bingo"? I reckon he'll say at least one more reasonable thing in the pursuit of this dumb argument, any takers?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

ewe2 posted:

Anyone else playing "Amethyst argument bingo"? I reckon he'll say at least one more reasonable thing in the pursuit of this dumb argument, any takers?

Shut up you stupid moron. I'm not interested in your small minded poo poo from the sidelines.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Ewe2 is one of the worst posters in this thread, consistently. He has the personality of a faded cardboard box. His most remarkable feature is that he moderates an irc channel where a bot will ban you for saying certain words.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Amethyst posted:

Do you know who that is or are you just assuming they weren't born in australia lmbo?

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer

Amethyst posted:

Help auspol's disadvantaged posters with legislation. But don't punish auspol undesirables.
I agree with the above statement.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Amethyst posted:

Cultural problems aren't solved with a punitive legislative sledgehammer. Trying to do so with whatever ideas you hold that day may make you look very bad in the future. Look at the white Australia policy.

Help culturally disadvantaged people with legislation. But don't punish cultural undesirables.

He (and Chris Brown) are not "culturally disadvantaged", whatever that means. They are both execrable shitheads, for different reasons, and shouldn't be extended the privilege of coming here and spewing their bile or profiting off their bad boy image respectively.

And comparing banning them from coming here to the White Australia Policy is like saying that Affirmative Action is Racism.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Placing a hit on someone is free speech, and you're free to be arrested for it. Amethyst is right, you dunces (character assessments on others notwithstanding).

Also, funny how we like banning exclusively black dudes for DV.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 30, 2015

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

katlington posted:

Do you know who that is or are you just assuming they weren't born in australia lmbo?

Well, if we're denying visas on the basis of political speech, it isn't much of a stetch to imagine we could cancel the citizenship, or residency applications, of such people, either, is it?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Unimpressed posted:

(Chris Brown) are not "culturally disadvantaged", whatever that means.
UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Amethyst posted:

Ewe2 is one of the worst posters in this thread, consistently. He has the personality of a faded cardboard box. His most remarkable feature is that he moderates an irc channel where a bot will ban you for saying certain words.

If the bot bans you why does it need a moderator?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Amethyst posted:

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Hold on, are you actually saying Chris Brown should be able to use the fact that he's black as a mitigating factor for beating up his partner????

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

While I'm on the subject of ewe2, what the gently caress kind of unbelievably lame piece of poo poo names themself after Bono's band? I bet ewe2 lounges around his house in a ponytail, really getting into Bono's vocals.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Oh god, here we go

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Amethyst posted:

Amethyst posted:

While I'm on the subject of ewe2, what the gently caress kind of unbelievably lame piece of poo poo names themself after Bono's band? I bet ewe2 lounges around his house in a ponytail, really getting into Bono's vocals.

Those sure are some sweet ad hominem attacks there, which are definitely not something who has no other arguments would stoop to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
He absolutely should have been allowed a visa. Then arrested, imprisoned and deported the moment he steps off his first podium. This way is so much less fun.

• Locked thread