Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Spigen makes decent cases. I got their soft flex thing, it is thin and fits the phone perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The one thing I've noticed also about the 6s is that the vibrate motor is about as powerful as the 6, but is also extremely quiet. So if I set it on a table and have it in vibrate mode, I don't hear it at all.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I might have forgotten to sign out of iMessages before wiping my old iPhone; however I've removed it from Find my iPhone and my Apple ID associated products, factory reset the device and removed the SIM. I should be good to sell, right?

Yeah, you're ok.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I've missed a few texts from my wife while I was at work already because I didn't hear my phone vibrate on my desk.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I've been going around showing people the new phone, I keep getting questions about the 3D touch, all I know about it is that it starts a drop down menu on some apps, does anybody know what that thing actually does? is it useful for anything at the moment other than drop down menus?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kitten smoothie posted:

The one thing I've noticed also about the 6s is that the vibrate motor is about as powerful as the 6, but is also extremely quiet. So if I set it on a table and have it in vibrate mode, I don't hear it at all.

That's a documented feature, I think the normal motor interferes with the 3D touch.

Al-Saqr posted:

I've been going around showing people the new phone, I keep getting questions about the 3D touch, all I know about it is that it starts a drop down menu on some apps, does anybody know what that thing actually does? is it useful for anything at the moment other than drop down menus?

Think of it kind of like a right click menu on a computer. In addition to drop down menus, you can also preview emails or photos by pressing down.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
I just 3D Touch everything to see what happens. You can preview albums in music.app which is cool if you forget what songs are on what albums or whatever

E: it's also nice in podcasts.app to see if a new podcast has been posted

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It activates Live Photos; in Maps it allows you to pull up menus for different locations like stores or schools (phone number, directions etc.); some video games use 3D Touch in creative ways, but only a few for now; it allows you to peek inside Messages or e-mails without opening them and other things.

It's basically a thing that will become incrementally cooler, which runs counter to conventional 'instant gratification' that comes with new features (i.e. a new screen or camera is going to be awesome right away and equally good until the next iteration). Pretty soon you'll have 3D Touch within popular apps as well as on their icons.

I like to think of the phone as '3D Touch ready' but now it's up to lots of different people to make it do novel things.

Ultimately, it's biggest benefit is making certain actions much quicker. In 2014, people complained that iTunes took 3-5 seconds to open given their large music collection. That's been cut to 1-2 seconds for new computers. Today, Google was making a case that their preloading on Chromecast improves loading by a few seconds. So where we are at technologically is taking things that already exist and making them as fast and smooth as possible.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 30, 2015

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

Apple has pretty good documentation explaining what it can do.
http://www.apple.com/iphone-6s/3d-touch/

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey, if you review cases, straight up compare it directly to the leather Apple one. That's all that matters

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

noirstronaut posted:

Hey, if you review cases, straight up compare it directly to the leather Apple one. That's all that matters

Looking on the apple store, that case does not look like it covers the screen. Is it just a clamshell? I just got a 6s and used a otterbox for my iphone 3 and 4 but they seem to not have one that works right for the 6s yet and I am looking for that level of protection.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

noirstronaut posted:

This.

Wanting a fresh change and a splash of pizazz for my 6S+, I picked up an orange silicone from Apple. I previously had a black leather Apple on my 6+.

I loved how the case looked in the store but the moment I put it on my phone it was like "hey Motherfucker neon orange edges on your phonnnnnne!" The black leather official case is so sleek, so minimal, you just start accepting it as part of the phone body. I'm sleeping on this orange silicone. It may go back.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

EL BROMANCE posted:

I wish Apple had multiple relationships with rating apps, because I don't find people in the UK use Yelp these days. Most of the time the info is out of date and reviews are years old. Trip Advisor seems to be the more 'go to' site here, would be useful if my OS knew that too.

As an Aussie I noticed Maps swapped over to Trip Advisor in iOS 9, which is odd, because a bunch of local places were just starting to get Yelp traction.

Who knows.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

They get data from a ton of places but Yelp is a big (but not the only) one for reviews. In Maps, hit the i at the bottom right corner and them "Data from TomTom, others>" and you can see the complete list. They say "business data from X, Y, Z" but business data can also be reviews.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh cool, maybe I'll see more relevant stuff pop up then at some point. That would be good when I'm in places I'm not used to, and reviews of restaurants from 2010 that have since closed down might not be so useful.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just haven't used 3D Touch outside of the 5 minute novelty factor. I've tried it in emails and stuff but I just don't see it use for for my workflow.

Is anyone else's headphone port really finicky? I just plugged in the brand new earbuds (never plugged any other headphones into it) and the music cuts in and out from the smallest taps against the plug. 6s sorry.

E: I've been getting a ton of blank pages loading up in Safari since yesterday. I'm not sure what's going on.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Sep 30, 2015

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

My 6s randomly shut down yesterday when I opened Safari, the screen greyed out for a second then it restarted. I hope it was software rather than hardware related :(

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

noirstronaut posted:

I’ll go. The Caudabe Veil: cheaper, thinner, more low profile. Like it’s not even there. The Skinless Skin of cases, compared to the leather Apple case, which is more like ye sheepskin protection of old.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

For what it's worth your 16GB advertised size is gonna be approximately 14.9 (and most likely less) due to the difference in base 2 and base 10 numbers. My 6s shows that iOS takes up about 4GB and then my modest set of apps takes up another 8.5GB. It's a new phone so I have no pictures, videos, or music on this phone yet. And I'm pretty obsessive about deleting apps that I don't use too. Your 16GB iPhone is gonna end up having like 2GB left from just a basic install plus a few apps.

So yeah I mean if this doesn't matter to you enough to be worth $100 then I dunno.

This is kind of hitting the root of my problem: one man's modest set of apps is another's panoply of unnecessary stuff. The interesting thing, for me, is that iOS apps seem to be much larger in size than Windows Phone apps. It's been interesting to try and work out what apps I'd actually need to install. Based on my current phone, I'm looking at the following as basic, must-haves:
  • Facebook
  • Messenger
  • Twitter
  • Awful app
  • Wunderlist
  • A weather app
  • Wikipedia app
  • Banking app
  • Words With Friends

I have no idea how this list compares with anyone else's app install.

If people are wondering why the $100 makes a difference, it's because it's not $100. I'm in the UK, and getting the phone through the carrier rather than buying outright. The upgrade to the 64GB adds a chunk to the bill I'd rather not pay unless I absolutely have to.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

buying a 16gb iphone in 2015 is insane and you shouldn't do it

ive been playing only 1 game on my phone lately, fallout shelter, and that fucker's 722MB. I keep Hearthstone around too, that's 1.2GB. That's just two apps. poo poo, Uber is 100MB. Then the OS takes a bunch of space (although iOS 9 is smaller). Then photos and videos, if you take them... Yeah, 16GB ain't gonna cut it.

But maybe my use case is different than yours. For reference, my music library alone is 30GB. I got the 64GB and have about ~12GB left, which I'm somewhat comfortable with. That's almost as much as you'll *start* with.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Jeherrin posted:

This is kind of hitting the root of my problem: one man's modest set of apps is another's panoply of unnecessary stuff. The interesting thing, for me, is that iOS apps seem to be much larger in size than Windows Phone apps.

Sure. That's because iPhone apps see far more updates and features than the Windows phone counter part.

You're clearly determined to keep that 16gb iPhone. It's a mistake but do what makes you happy. Doesn't matter what the steps are to replace it. If you plan on keeping it for any extended amount of time it will become annoying. Just don't come back here six months into ownership and bitch about how iOS has been deleting your songs or that your phone has 3gb of space allocated to "Other" and if you just had that room everything would be fine.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
I'm thinking that my use case appears to not the norm: my app usage is likely to be low; I have 350GB of music in my network drive so am very used to idea that I can't take it all with me (and realistically, I almost never listen to music on the go, so a few albums will be fine), I never take videos, shoot a reasonable number of pictures but am happy to back-up and remove them. I'll almost certainly get the 50GB iCloud. It's 79p/month.

Basically, I am an old man phone user. It's not, and never been a primary content consumption device. Calls, texting, and browsing make up the bulk of my usage. My reasons for choosing to move to iPhone are more to do with the ecosystem - my line of work almost exclusively uses Apple products, and after four years of Windows Phone I just want to be able to slot into it seamlessly for once.

(edit) Basically, I want to know how my use case expectations line up with other people's. If, based on what I want it to do, the 16GB will still not be sufficient, I'll pull the trigger. It's a non-trivial amount, though, so I just want to be sure. It's all new to me.

Jeherrin fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 30, 2015

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
16 gb phone is the pity phone, do not get it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

how else to convince this guy?

if anything, it'll have better resale value when you decide to upgrade. no one wants the crappy tiny one when they're buying used.

a 6s with 16gb of storage is sort of like putting high-end summer track tires on a Nissan Versa 1.6

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Jeherrin posted:

Basically, I am an old man phone user. It's not, and never been a primary content consumption device. Calls, texting, and browsing make up the bulk of my usage. My reasons for choosing to move to iPhone are more to do with the ecosystem - my line of work almost exclusively uses Apple products, and after four years of Windows Phone I just want to be able to slot into it seamlessly for once.

(edit) Basically, I want to know how my use case expectations line up with other people's. If, based on what I want it to do, the 16GB will still not be sufficient, I'll pull the trigger. It's a non-trivial amount, though, so I just want to be sure. It's all new to me.

I have changed my mind and determined you should keep it. It's like letting your kid touch the out stove so they never do it again. Not a single person here was like "oh it's manageable" but yet you still think you're some kind of insanely rare use case for phone usage, you're not.

Just don't keep coming here to ask us how to micro manage the phone we all told you not to buy. iOS and its apps have a bad habit of treating your storage like an infinite dumping ground. Probably to Apple's benefit so people buy more expensive phones but it is what it is if you want to play in Apple's playground.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

benisntfunny posted:

I have changed my mind and determined you should keep it. It's like letting your kid touch the out stove so they never do it again. Not a single person here was like "oh it's manageable" but yet you still think you're some kind of insanely rare use case for phone usage, you're not.

Just don't keep coming here to ask us how to micro manage the phone we all told you not to buy. iOS and its apps have a bad habit of treating your storage like an infinite dumping ground. Probably to Apple's benefit so people buy more expensive phones but it is what it is if you want to play in Apple's playground.

Thanks, that's very helpful. I had no benchmark for my use case, so it is good to know how it compares with others. I've got a couple of months to mull it over.

I appreciate everyone's advice!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Do you think that maybe having a new iPhone with a modern processor and an App Store of a billion apps might change your usage habits? Like if you're absolutely positively 100% "I can see the future" sure that you're going to download those 10 apps and throw that App Store button into a Useless 💩 folder (next to the "Stocks" and "Tips" apps) for the rest of time then I guess 16GB will work for you.

Edit: Just giving you some numbers so you can get a better idea since I'm waiting for my computer to unfreeze itself at work.

Facebook is taking 213 MB. Official Twitter client is 203 MB. Facebook Messenger 137, WhatsApp 117, Snapchat is 99 and so on.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 30, 2015

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
My wife and I both own the 128GB model because thinking you know your usage pattern 2 years from now is just setting you up for many tears. My wife syncs shows to it from Plex right now, but she didn't do that a year ago. But whatever man, if sixteen geebees are enough geebees for you, rock with it, but as others have said don't come here crying about how you're out of space six months from now.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do you think that maybe having a new iPhone with a modern processor and an App Store of a billion apps might change your usage habits? Like if you're absolutely positively 100% "I can see the future" sure that you're going to download those 10 apps and throw that App Store button into a Useless 💩 folder (next to the "Stocks" and "Tips" apps) for the rest of time then I guess 16GB will work for you.

Edit: Just giving you some numbers so you can get a better idea since I'm waiting for my computer to unfreeze itself at work.

Facebook is taking 213 MB. Official Twitter client is 203 MB. Facebook Messenger 137, WhatsApp 117, Snapchat is 99 and so on.

Thanks for the figures. There's always a disconnect between app size and how much it actually uses.

Will it change my usage habits? I don't know, but I doubt it. I spend my working hours in front of a screen, and have little drive to continue working with an (even smaller) screen out of my self-imposed office hours. In all the years of working with WP, I've never even watched Netflix or iPlayer on it. Small-screen content consumption isn't really my style. I tend to use my phone more as a PDA than for entertainment, and that's how it's always been.

That being said, your question is one I've been considering. Moving from WP to iOS represents a not insignificant increase in my monthly phone bill, so I just want to be sure I don't buy something that's far beyond my needs.

I want to reiterate that I know I'm playing devil's advocate a bit, here. Everyone's input has been hugely appreciated. I am probably overthinking things.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Jeherrin posted:

I am probably overthinking things.

Yes, get the loving 64/128 you don't have to think about anything. It's literally heaven.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Jeherrin posted:

Thanks for the figures. There's always a disconnect between app size and how much it actually uses.

Will it change my usage habits? I don't know, but I doubt it. I spend my working hours in front of a screen, and have little drive to continue working with an (even smaller) screen out of my self-imposed office hours. In all the years of working with WP, I've never even watched Netflix or iPlayer on it. Small-screen content consumption isn't really my style. I tend to use my phone more as a PDA than for entertainment, and that's how it's always been.

That being said, your question is one I've been considering. Moving from WP to iOS represents a not insignificant increase in my monthly phone bill, so I just want to be sure I don't buy something that's far beyond my needs.

I want to reiterate that I know I'm playing devil's advocate a bit, here. Everyone's input has been hugely appreciated. I am probably overthinking things.

As people have said, please do also keep resale value in mind. Unlike windows and android phones, it's not uncommon to sell iphones for well over 50% of what you paid for them after a couple of years, but very few people will want to buy a 16gb phone now, let alone 2 years from now.

I would suggest that your usage habits may change now that you have a phone with an actual app ecosystem - you may find yourself using your phone in ways you hadn't expected - I certainly did, and I was also a windows phone user until a few days ago.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Has anyone had to call Apple Support lately? I generally never do but the issues I have had are super weird .. but man, the reps I have gotten need a SERIOUS lesson in just listening. I've never had to repeat myself so many times and STILL have them get stuff wrong.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Let him be with his bad choices, no one is going to have a magical point that changes his mind.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

You have convinced me to exchange my phone. I have no loving idea how I'm going to do it without access to the Verizon store my parents bought it at or the receipt, but whatever.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

The Dave posted:

Let him be with his bad choices, no one is going to have a magical point that changes his mind.

Except my choice isn't made, and won't be for another two months, and the whole point of playing devil's advocate was to get detailed reasons beyond "You'll fill it up!". Which I did get, and they're very useful.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Yeah I very much regret buying a 16gb phone, but in my defense I never had any sort of issue on my 4S with available space, even on iOS 7. Something in the year span between when I was on Android and when I switched back to iOS must have flipped some sort of switch for developers that said "hey, let's eat up literally every single byte of space with cache"

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

dutchbstrd posted:

I just 3D Touch everything to see what happens. You can preview albums in music.app which is cool if you forget what songs are on what albums or whatever

E: it's also nice in podcasts.app to see if a new podcast has been posted

It works great for playlists if you use Apple Music. Since then you can peek at more of the list without having to navigate to the whole thing.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
So a question about iCloud. I'm looking at my backup, and it tells me the size of each app I'm backing up so that I can choose not to if I wanna. Instagram is 512mb. If I uncheck instagram, does that mean it's going to stop backing up my data in instagram (login info, cached photos, whatever else), or will it just forget that the app is installed at all? Like if I choose not to back it up and I do a restore, will instagram just not be there when it's restored? Not that I care about instagram, I'm just curious about how iCloud backups work.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I'm running through Official Bought From Apple Store Lightning Cables faster than toilet tissue. I don't do anything but plug my phone in and lay it flat on my desk, or in a little phone cubby in my vehicle. Just had my 5th cable since getting a 6 on release day start freaking out and constantly saying its plugged/unplugged. Are these cables allergic to me? Are they just really lovely? I'm seriously considering switching back to the wastelands of android to escape these cables.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jackpot posted:

So a question about iCloud. I'm looking at my backup, and it tells me the size of each app I'm backing up so that I can choose not to if I wanna. Instagram is 512mb. If I uncheck instagram, does that mean it's going to stop backing up my data in instagram (login info, cached photos, whatever else), or will it just forget that the app is installed at all? Like if I choose not to back it up and I do a restore, will instagram just not be there when it's restored? Not that I care about instagram, I'm just curious about how iCloud backups work.
The app will still reinstall on a restore and such, but it won't have any data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Sextro posted:

I'm running through Official Bought From Apple Store Lightning Cables faster than toilet tissue. I don't do anything but plug my phone in and lay it flat on my desk, or in a little phone cubby in my vehicle. Just had my 5th cable since getting a 6 on release day start freaking out and constantly saying its plugged/unplugged. Are these cables allergic to me? Are they just really lovely? I'm seriously considering switching back to the wastelands of android to escape these cables.

Try monoprice cables?