Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
The trial of the former CEO of Massey Energy Co. is set to begin. Massey was the company that had the WV mine explosion in 2010 that killed 29 people. The CEO faces up to 30 years in prison. His defense team includes the lawyer that got pervert frenchman DSK off of his sexual assault charges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

A few updates on leadership races:

- The Republican establishment is considering a motion that would force leadership candidates to resign other currently held leadership position. If accepted, and it looks like it will, the motion raises the stakes of the race, especially for candidates like Scalise.
- Sessions (TX) and Ross (FL) have decide to challenge the sitting Whip, McHenry, for his position. Both cited a need to better represent the Republican Party's full spectrum, a move that might endear them to the Freedom Caucus. Nonetheless, both are considered long-shots.
- With Gowdy's self-destructing candidacy, the Freedom Caucus is pushing for one of their own to serve a leadership position. Washington Post reports that they are afraid of being locked out from party decisions.
- Boehner has either not been attending, or not been invited to, Peter Roksam's vague but menacingly secret meetings on "the future of the Party." Given Boehner's insistence that he would guide his transition out of office, this fact seems interesting.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Dalael posted:

Debbie Wasserman Schultz, DNC chairwoman and :shillary: shill. She used to work for :shillary:

How much shill could a :shillary: shill if a :shillary: could shill shill?

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Gravel Gravy posted:

How much shill could a :shillary: shill if a :shillary: could shill shill?

At least one shilling.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Jagchosis posted:

The trial of the former CEO of Massey Energy Co. is set to begin. Massey was the company that had the WV mine explosion in 2010 that killed 29 people. The CEO faces up to 30 years in prison. His defense team includes the lawyer that got pervert frenchman DSK off of his sexual assault charges.

Let me just make this quick for you

quote:

At 9 a.m. on Oct. 1, former coal baron Donald Leon Blankenship will stand before a judge at the Robert C. Byrd U.S. Courthouse in Charleston, West Virginia, for what promises to be a lengthy, complex, and historic criminal trial.
Acquitted of all charges.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

You know a West Virginian jury might be salty about 30 dead miners, as much as USPOL likes to tout the corruption of the justice system

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Will they be less salty after everyone they know who is even tangentially connected to them gets a bonus/raise/new job? The implicit threat of course being that they can just as easily lose those things.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Peztopiary posted:

Will they be less salty after everyone they know who is even tangentially connected to them gets a bonus/raise/new job? The implicit threat of course being that they can just as easily lose those things.

The company this piece of poo poo ran is already defunct

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Grapplejack posted:

Every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in West Virginia is named after Byrd, so I'm not sure it means much.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

kaxman posted:

Huh? Some neighbors of mine did this thing. It involved having a belt-clip microphone data recorder or something about their person while they were watching TV. It was entirely automated and they got paid to do it, they never mentioned having to do any keeping track themselves, just had to have the thing turned on for some number of hours in order to receive credit.

This was in 2004 or so.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bullfrog posted:

Clinton/Sanders conspiracy theories tread dangerously close to tea-party "RINO" style politics. Some of the claims on that chart are an enormous stretch.

But don't you see?!

October 13th is National Yorkshire Pudding Day. People will be too busy making their puddings and feeling awful after eating English cuisine to be able to watch.

November 14th is National Pickle Day. Hillary during her time as NY senator represented Syracuse, the Salt City. Big Salt... pickles.... need I say more?!?!?!!

December 19th is National Hard Candy Day and National Oatmeal Muffin Day. How can people give Sanders a fair shake when they are reminded of the horrific foodstuffs forced upon them by their grandpa?

January 17th is one week after National Cut Your Energy Costs Day. People will have permanently turned off all electronics in their house and will have no way to watch the debate!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm all for the RINO/DINO poo poo if it makes the Sanders camp as powerful as the Tea Party has been for the last 6 years.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So I guess Kim Davis got to meet the Pope?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/09/30/444671535/kim-davis-and-pope-francis-reportedly-had-a-private-meeting-in-dc

quote:

Addressing reports that Pope Francis met privately with controversial Kentucky clerk Kim Davis during his U.S. visit, the Vatican isn't denying the meeting took place. Davis, who has refused to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, says she met the pope at the Vatican embassy in Washington.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Good for her! Getting to meet a man she thinks is going to Hell was surely a unique experience.

She should do her drat job.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I love how their opinion of a person is almost directly related to the opinion they're espousing at the moment.

X says thing I like? "They're the best person ever! They could do no wrong! They're the most Christian people around!"

X says thing I hate? "They're the worst person ever! They always do wrong! Note how they aren't True Christians."

They hate the Pope and consider him a heathen, but because he said that it's okay to refuse to do your job (while still expecting to keep said job) Kim's suddenly so proud to have met him.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

kaxman posted:

Huh? Some neighbors of mine did this thing. It involved having a belt-clip microphone data recorder or something about their person while they were watching TV. It was entirely automated and they got paid to do it, they never mentioned having to do any keeping track themselves, just had to have the thing turned on for some number of hours in order to receive credit.

They only do this in the top markets, everywhere else they use the diary method. The media has fine tuned their self advertisement strategy entirely around convincing diary raters that they watched/listened more than they actually did, since the raters just fill out the diary on the last day and mail it back. It is quite fascinating.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Radbot posted:

I'm all for the RINO/DINO poo poo if it makes the Sanders camp as powerful as the Tea Party has been for the last 6 years.

For that to happen, lefties need to get into local politics more (including party politics) and be banked by rich fucks willing to primary anyone who doesn't toe the line.

I don't see the second happening, and the first requires a level of effort most aren't willing to put in (including me).

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The pope had already said that Kim Davis is right, and should be allowed to continue violating the law.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nonsense posted:

The pope had already said that Kim Davis is right, and should be allowed to continue violating the law.

He said conscientious objection was a right, which is an objectively true thing.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I thought he said she was a conscientious objector which doesn't necessarily imply you can not do your job and still get paid.

Like I think she can object all she likes and by doing so removing herself from her position. If the Pope thinks that people should be able to do what she is doing then he's wrong on that.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Not exactly. He said no one should be forced to do something that goes against their conscience. And that I agree with. However, if your job requires you to do something that goes against your conscience, you need to quit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Radbot posted:

They both involve believing powerful Jews are meddling in politics and the media to conspire against you, so hopefully some overlap will help! It's just good branding!

Radish posted:

I thought he said she was a conscientious objector which doesn't necessarily imply you can not do your job and still get paid.

Yes, he said she was a conscientious objector, which is true. We put those people in jail a lot and they 100% have the right to be respected in their choices. The issue is she started stopping others from doing their job as part of her objection, a thing the pope never said was ok.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

I tend to doubt it, and suspect this is just another example of how the Liberty Counsel is full of pathologically dishonest fuckheads.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

blue squares posted:

Not exactly. He said no one should be forced to do something that goes against their conscience. And that I agree with. However, if your job requires you to do something that goes against your conscience, you need to quit.

If she continues objecting and blabbing on TV they don't get issued and she continues being famous.

If she quits they get issued and she is no longer famous.

Hard choice.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Luigi Thirty posted:

If she continues objecting and blabbing on TV they don't get issued and she continues being famous.

If she quits they get issued and she is no longer famous.

Hard choice.

They're being issued?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Yes this pope is better, but you're never going to have a truly progressive pope until you have a pope who comes in and basically renounces Catholicism.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Nonsense posted:

That's not how I read the exchange, despite the reporting. It seemed much more of a general espousal of conscientious objection status and he pointed to historical violations of that right on the part of the Church.

quote:

Pope Francis:

I can’t have in mind all cases that can exist about conscience objection. But, yes, I can say the conscientious objection is a right that is a part of every human right. It is a right. And if a person does not allow others to be a conscientious objector, he denies a right. Conscientious objection must enter into every juridical structure because it is a right, a human right. Otherwise we would end up in a situation where we select what is a right, saying “this right that has merit, this one does not.” It (conscientious objection) is a human right. It always moved me when I read, and I read it many times, when I read the “Chanson de Roland” when the people were all in line and before them was the baptismal font and they had to choose between the baptismal font or the sword. They had to choose. They weren’t permitted conscientious objection. It is a right and if we want to make peace we have to respect all rights.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

They're being issued?

Yeah, by her deputy clerks and without her name on them, which her scumbag lawyers have gone out of their way to imply means they're not reaaaally equal to honest, god-fearin' straight people marriage licenses.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just can't believe the pope would spend 15 minutes with her.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I am okay jailing any objector in any situation. Get another job you refuse to do. Also President Obama is completely correct in every way about whistle-blowers.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 30, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yeah, by her deputy clerks and without her name on them, which her scumbag lawyers have gone out of their way to imply means they're not reaaaally equal to honest, god-fearin' straight people marriage licenses.

Her retard lawyer can imply whatever he wants, it's not true and the judge has been super clear that if she makes one little effort to gently caress with things she's going back to jail. She lost super hard and her buddies are lying, this isn't a hard thing man.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Is it a secret meeting if you talk/brag about it? Makes you think...

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

euphronius posted:

Who else is going to wash her feet?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

McCarthy pulled a classic Kinsley gaffe this morning and admitted what this whole Benghazi probe is all about.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

euphronius posted:

Jesus also spent time with the scum of society. The difference is that the whores and prisoners and diseased didn't have their lawyers issuing statements suggesting that those meetings were proof of God's approval of the choices which caused them to become the scum of society in the first place.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dalael posted:

For those who may not understand what lovely trick DWS is pulling for :shillary: please understand its not just about the number of debates. The dates are truly what matters. Check this out and you will understand just how much DWS and the DNC are really doing to make sure :shillary: wins.

This conspiracy theory is less believable than Atlantis in Bolivia.

James Garfield posted:

I don't live in New York but apparently the October 9 registration deadline that picture references is for 2015 municipal elections.

Ok, now it goes from crazy to plain laughable.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Nonsense posted:

Also President Obama is completely correct in every way about whistle-blowers.

What did he say about whistle blowers?

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Jagchosis posted:

Oh, hey, I was just wondering what had happened with this.

I hope they execute the fucker.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
NY Times confirmed that Pope / Kim Davis actually happened.

"Pope Francis met privately in Washington last week with Kim Davis, the county clerk in Kentucky who defied a court order to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, a Vatican spokesman confirmed on Wednesday. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/30/us/county-clerk-kim-davis-who-denied-gay-couples-visited-pope.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Trey Gowdy will be retiring at the end of this term to go back to SC, which rather neatly explains why he didn't want a leadership position and said if he had one he'd only do it until January 2017

I wonder why he is stepping down then. I could see if Haley was expected to take a position in the new executive admin, but there are several long shot gambles to that

• Locked thread