Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

teagone posted:

Yeah. Also, Amazon's warranty/customer service makes the 7" Fire a massive step above anything else in that low as gently caress price range. My dad's Nexus 7 2012 just shat the bed on him so I'm gonna get him a Fire as a replacement.
Yeah, their renowned customer service such as disabling people's Kindle accounts for no reason and without recourse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

pun pundit posted:

Yeah, their renowned customer service such as disabling people's Kindle accounts for no reason and without recourse.

Anecdotal, but I've and almost everyone I know have always had stellar customer support from Amazon.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Mine is also anecdotal, but I know two people who've had their accounts closed due to "association with a previously closed account". Both have only ever had one amazon account. Customer service would not reactivate their account.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I've been eyeing over cheap tablets forever just for Netflix and ebooks etc, so I just picked up two Fire 7", one for me and one for my mother who is sick of using a full-sized laptop just for Skype and stuff.

Pretty excited to get it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

pun pundit posted:

Mine is also anecdotal, but I know two people who've had their accounts closed due to "association with a previously closed account". Both have only ever had one amazon account. Customer service would not reactivate their account.

While that is quite lovely, Amazon is pretty widely known for having good customer support. Particularly when compared to the type of support you'll get from the makers of other $50 tablets.

Welsh Rarebitch
Jun 5, 2011
Can you install .apk's of your own choosing on a Fire Tablet without much hassle these days?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Tell me how the $50 Fire is if anyone here gets it

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I ordered one today because my crappy walmart 7" tablet fell off my bathroom counter and pretty much shattered.
We don't seem to have a Fire thread... Did anyone have experience with them as far as watching video in a bunch of different formats off an sd card? I imagine that's something literally any tablet can do with ease right? And what is the Fire equivalent of turning on unsigned apk support to install your own things outside of their store?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Anyone used the Lenovo A10? It's on sale for £130 ($200) and seems like a decent replacement for my Nook+HD that finally gave up the ghost a few weeks ago.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Quad posted:

And what is the Fire equivalent of turning on unsigned apk support to install your own things outside of their store?

Same as any other android (last I checked) go into settings, find developer settings allow installation of non-store sources and your good. The developer resources Amazon provides will have step-by-step as it's required to do any on device development.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, my main beef with fire tablets are lack of google services. However, taken in a vacuum, they are pretty well designed and nice little slates.

Too bad some middle road couldn't be reached between Google and Amazon on Amazon's app store, because I get the feeling that Amazon is the OEM android needs for tablets.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Is is possible to remove all the amazon crapware from a fire tablet? I would like to pick up a few for work to mess around with but I basically just need a web browser and nothing else.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Calidus posted:

Is is possible to remove all the amazon crapware from a fire tablet? I would like to pick up a few for work to mess around with but I basically just need a web browser and nothing else.

You would need to root it and replace the OS, basically. Difficulty of doing so will depend on the exact model.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Calidus posted:

Why do you need to remove all that if you just want to use the browser, anyway?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chas McGill posted:

Anyone used the Lenovo A10? It's on sale for £130 ($200) and seems like a decent replacement for my Nook+HD that finally gave up the ghost a few weeks ago.

My parents got one so they could check email and use skype on a trip they took. It works decently. I replaced the stock launcher with Nova launcher which helped a bit. I don't think they used it for games or anything but it's fine for browsing and basic internet stuff, especially with a nice bright 10 inch IPS screen for around $200. The bluetooth keyboard that acts like a cover for travelling isn't bad, although I don't think they put it through a lot of wear and tear or anything. The only bad things about it for general use are that it's on android 4.4.2 and will probably never go any higher, and that it takes a while to boot up (more of an issue for my folks who turn off appliances than most people these days).

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Endless Mike posted:

Why do you need to remove all that if you just want to use the browser, anyway?

because I have employees with the same IQ as a squirrels.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Calidus posted:

Yeah but it's worth it when you consider all the acorns you're getting.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Calidus posted:

Employees: get a Windows tablet.

There's nothing like Active Directory or Group Policy in Android or iOS and you won't achieve the level of control you're looking for with any other platform.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

There's nothing like Active Directory or Group Policy in Android or iOS and you won't achieve the level of control you're looking for with any other platform.
I hear you can lock poo poo down pretty tight on Chromebooks, and some of those now come in flip-over yoga tablet form factor.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Rexxed posted:

My parents got one so they could check email and use skype on a trip they took. It works decently. I replaced the stock launcher with Nova launcher which helped a bit. I don't think they used it for games or anything but it's fine for browsing and basic internet stuff, especially with a nice bright 10 inch IPS screen for around $200. The bluetooth keyboard that acts like a cover for travelling isn't bad, although I don't think they put it through a lot of wear and tear or anything. The only bad things about it for general use are that it's on android 4.4.2 and will probably never go any higher, and that it takes a while to boot up (more of an issue for my folks who turn off appliances than most people these days).
Thanks. Apparently it was meant to get the 5.0 update this July, but it's still listed as Jellybean on their site...

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

There is, actually. Google does have an enterprise portal where you can go in and set Google's equivalent of GPO, and it's actually surprisingly robust considering the sorts of devices you generally ran it on. In my previous job (school district IT) we used it to control Chrome apps (both installing and blocking), setting up and single app kiosk mode when state testing came around, and other quality of life things that made it easier for us to remotely administer hundreds of devices. It'll even sync to active directory through LDAP to pull in users and groups. Granted this was all in the chromebook side, we didn't do any remote administration for Android and the processes could be different.

The downside with all this is that there is a pretty significant subscription cost to go with it. We had a pretty deep discount due to being an educational facility, most regular businesses I think the pricing is $50 per year per user.

Edit: Apple also has MDM services to act as GPO, but I found those to be temperamental to the point of being only marginally effective at best and being a straight up monkey paw wish at worst.

Edit2: vvvv I'm pretty sure any old chromebook can be added to enterprise. My old boss brought his old home chromebook he bought from Amazon and was able to enroll it. The one thing you have to keep in mind is that it had to be freshly factory reset to get the option to enterprise enroll a device. At the first time Google sign in prompt, hit ctrl-shift-e and it'll prompt you for an enterprise login.

I know when we first tested chromebook deployments last year we bought a test batch through Amazon and our big deployment was through CDW.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 25, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Also, last time I checked, if you want to use that management service with Chromebooks, you must purchase them through google under the enterprise stuff. You can't just add any old chromebook to the system that you purchase elsewhere.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Android Police now leaking new Google tablet plans. Sounds like the Pixel C will be positioned as an IPad Pro competitor?
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...ater-this-year/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Red Warrior posted:

Android Police now leaking new Google tablet plans. Sounds like the Pixel C will be positioned as an IPad Pro competitor?
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...ater-this-year/

Oh good, an Nvidia powered tablet.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

Oh good, an Nvidia powered tablet.

my thoughts exactly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Noooope.

Nope nope nope nope nope nope.

NOPE!

Eh, 10.2 inches anyways, don't want a tablet that big so there's more reason to not buy it than Nvidia.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
ugh another nexus tablet with an nvidia chipset.... maybe 3rd times the charm?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Colour me impressed - Tesco just released 5.1 for the Hudl 2, and it seems to be pretty well behaved.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
It'll still be an improvement on the Nexus 9, so I'll probably buy one. :sigh:

A good tablet would be nice though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

w00tazn posted:

ugh another nexus tablet with an nvidia chipset.... maybe 3rd times the charm?

I've already done round 3.

So, nooooooooope.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I've gotta be honest, I'm shocked that I haven't heard about the Samsung tab pro in this thread. Amazon is selling most of the line factory refurbished for like 200-230. For that price I can't think of something better at all. I've been using mine for a little over a week and I have absolutely no gripes with it.

Also the screen is gorgeous.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Also relevant, Dell's got factory refurbs of many of their tablets up on their outlet store with a coupon code for 35% off. 7 and 8 inch models, including the Venue 8 7840 (which I just bought yesterday). Coupon code is VENUE%35. It expires at 9AM Central today, but maybe somebody who sees this will want one. The 7840 is surprisingly nice, from what little I've gotten to test, and it's got 5.1. Only downsides I've found so far are the weird shape and the fact that they're only shipping at 16GB model. That said, the screen is stunning, rivals any Samsung I've seen, and it doesn't have the ugliness of TouchWiz loving it up.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I've gotta be honest, I'm shocked that I haven't heard about the Samsung tab pro in this thread. Amazon is selling most of the line factory refurbished for like 200-230. For that price I can't think of something better at all. I've been using mine for a little over a week and I have absolutely no gripes with it.

Well I bought it in February last year and I had the best tablet for two months until they released the tab s line. Combine that with a price of £350 and it was quickly forgotten.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

My $50 Amazon tablet has been dispatched, will arrive tomorrow. Should get a review up tomorrow too.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Samsung is comically bad with pushing updates - someone in my family has a Tab 4 7-inch and they've been promised Lollipop for at least a year (still not released).

Samsung needs to quit making 20 different phone/tablet models each year and just focus on a few.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Samsung making new 20 phones and tablets per year would be an enormous cut. They were talking of cutting their number of new phones by 30% for 2015, which would bring them down to 39 new models.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

So the $50 Amazon tablet is pretty good. Basically the old Fire 7. I've not really noticed many differences at all.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

It's 4:3 and it's pretty expensive

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/30/editorial-i-used-the-pixel-c-and-it-seems-like-a-pretty-bad-idea/

Apparently, the PIxel C is a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Could have told you that from the spec sheet.