Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Look at you people that aren't running around with the armor piercing pistol. Headshots all day :sicknasty:

Isn't the "armor piercing" pistol actually only capable of breaking glass...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
The saga continues, finished MGS3 late last night and MGS4 is downloading right now. As for MGS3, the game pissed me off. The gameplay is really cool, the moments with Adamska were cool, the jungle was cool, David Hayter sounds like he was told to TRY REALLY HARD, I actually liked Raiden in 2 so gently caress you Kojima for making fun of him :( and the plot seemed like it was dead set on not moving anywhere. And then the final reveal happens. Kojima, you sly bastard, I know how BB feels used because *I* felt used. Pretty good loving game (except for the awful voice acting)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Colapops posted:

You're thinking of the ap upgrade for the tranq pistol. For lethal pistols it gives it anti-materiel penetration power.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Colapops posted:

The 2 lethal AP pistols and the brennan sniper rifle are the only 3 weapons in the game that can penetrate helmets.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You're thinking of the ap upgrade for the tranq pistol. For lethal pistols it gives it anti-materiel penetration power.

It still puzzles me as to why there's a glass-only upgrade for the tranq pistol. Is that ever actually useful?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Colapops posted:

It still puzzles me as to why there's a glass-only upgrade for the tranq pistol. Is that ever actually useful?
I think it lets you tranq by hitting the visor of riot suits.

Its exactly as useful as it sounds compared to rocket fist, stun first, and cqc.

e. might also let you Splinter Cell lightbulbs and security cams?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Colapops posted:

Jeep and truck Windows.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Speaking of the lua files, is there a way to make the readiness maximum all the time 24/7? Its the closest to extreme I could imagine.

There is that subsistence mod but its not quite the same.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

I think it lets you tranq by hitting the visor of riot suits.

Its exactly as useful as it sounds compared to rocket fist, stun first, and cqc.

e. might also let you Splinter Cell lightbulbs and security cams?

I don't know if it works on security cams or not but you can definitely break light bulbs with glass-breaking shots. It's kind of debatable how useful this is because darkness isn't the absolute "I am totally invisible now" thing that it is in splinter cell/thief, and guards will react to the sound of the bulbs breaking so if anything you're just drawing more attention to yourself. It is an option if you want it, though.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Ledenko posted:

Pretty good loving game (except for the awful voice acting)

I'm sorry, but the voice acting is amazing and fits the tone of the game perfectly.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Castor Poe posted:

I'm sorry, but the voice acting is amazing and fits the tone of the game perfectly.

Get out of my face with your wrong subjective opinion.
(Yes, it's as campy and cheesy as the story is (and I just remembered how BB nerds out over guns) but to me it feels really off, especially the office-worker-american sounding soldiers.)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Para-Medic's voice acting is amazing. She sounds too friendly and cool.

I'm pretty sure I crushed hard on her when the game first came out. (I was a teenager too so anything that sounded like a woman was probably on the menu)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Aurain posted:

Para-Medic's voice acting is amazing. She sounds too friendly and cool.

I'm pretty sure I crushed hard on her when the game first came out. (I was a teenager too so anything that sounded like a woman was probably on the menu)

And she wasn't as blatantly sexualized ad EVA, so you didn't have to feel as skeezy about it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Para-medic's characterization in 3 is why I find it really hard to buy that it turns out later that she's the mastermind behind les enfants terrible and the cyborg ninja thing and whatever other horrible medical experiments that were written in for her. She just seems too nice.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Para-medic's characterization in 3 is why I find it really hard to buy that it turns out later that she's the mastermind behind les enfants terrible and the cyborg ninja thing and whatever other horrible medical experiments that were written in for her. She just seems too nice.

Even Hitler had a girlfriend.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's remarkably easy to assume that she doesn't actually think she is evil. She explains her thoughts behind the clone thing in MGS3 itself and "hey, what if I revived this guy as an awesome cyborg ninja! It's like Robocop but better" is completely in her wheelhouse.

Like presumably she was not doing horrific medical experiments for shits and giggles, she assumed they had an actual purpose and just happened to be horrific. However like, Grey Fox'd be dead if she hadn't Cyborg Ninja'd him, so it's pretty easy to assume that she thought being a cyborg ninja was better than being dead.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Ledenko posted:

Get out of my face with your wrong subjective opinion.
(Yes, it's as campy and cheesy as the story is (and I just remembered how BB nerds out over guns) but to me it feels really off, especially the office-worker-american sounding soldiers.)

everything is in russian cept for the codec calls.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

It's remarkably easy to assume that she doesn't actually think she is evil. She explains her thoughts behind the clone thing in MGS3 itself and "hey, what if I revived this guy as an awesome cyborg ninja! It's like Robocop but better" is completely in her wheelhouse.

Like presumably she was not doing horrific medical experiments for shits and giggles, she assumed they had an actual purpose and just happened to be horrific. However like, Grey Fox'd be dead if she hadn't Cyborg Ninja'd him, so it's pretty easy to assume that she thought being a cyborg ninja was better than being dead.

Like a slightly better version of Huey...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snak posted:

Like a slightly better version of Huey...

I would say the major difference there is that she is slightly more competent.

Until she gets killed by her own mad creation but y'know.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Huey is also completely self-serving. I mean the whole reason he even developed bipedal mech technology in the first place was to give himself legs.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

everything is in russian cept for the codec calls.

I know, I got it when I forget who compliments you on your sweet russian while talking in english. I can't help it, I'd prefer actual russian with subtitles.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I can understand the criticism about the voice acting in MGS3 but the thing that bothered me most was the fact that the dialogue didn't even try to match the mouth movements.

The Boss: *mouth flaps for several seconds* ......... Run!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ledenko posted:

I know, I got it when I forget who compliments you on your sweet russian while talking in english. I can't help it, I'd prefer actual russian with subtitles.

Then like, the whole game would be in Russian.

What they SHOULD have done is every time someone is speaking Russian it's still in English, but with a ridiculous Russian accent.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

I can understand the criticism about the voice acting in MGS3 but the thing that bothered me most was the fact that the dialogue didn't even try to match the mouth movements.

It's cuz it's dubbed over from Japanese.. now the opposite is true for MGSV and all the facial capture is done in English so the Japanese audience gets the dub. The universe has balanced the scales again.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

In It For The Tank posted:

You know those poorly dubbed Chinese movies where the dubbers don't bother matching mouth flaps? It's like that. It's supposed to give you the impression that everyone speaks Russian, but is being presented in English/Japanese for the benefit of the viewer.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Then like, the whole game would be in Russian.

What they SHOULD have done is every time someone is speaking Russian it's still in English, but with a ridiculous Russian accent.

Konami got a lot of poo poo for bad accents in MGS2, I don't think a whole game full of them would have gone over that well.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
it's not over yet snake!

quite the good photoshop. that was last shot comes from some japanese site who took the datamined chapter 3 title card and somehow tried to convince everyone chapters 4/5 and epilogue existed too.

also confirmed photoshops, the recruitment of machine gun kid and shoot gunner into motherbase, those are floating around somewhere.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 30, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Reusing the at-a-glance identifier icons is the biggest mistake.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe they introduce Diamond Dog's boat right at the beginning of the game and then it's never seen again. They're all like "We got this old whaling ship as filler for the cuscene, since it had nothing to do with anything"

I mean yeah it explains how Pequod can deploy to loving Africa and Afghanistan from Mother Base.

Snak fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 30, 2015

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Snak posted:

I can't believe they introduce Diamond Dog's boat right at the beginning of the game and then it's never seen again.

that was my favorite thing since it really conveyed how ADD kojima got with his themes

like he got into moby dick references so you have ahab and ishmael, and pequod and then he gets bored after throwing in some names and then moves onto referencing lord of the flies in the same :downs: manner

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

quite the good photoshop.

it doesn't even use terminology consistent with Metal Gear Solid V.

Guantanamo is Camp Omega.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 30, 2015

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Guantanamo is the state of Cube where Camp Omega is.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tiler Kiwi posted:

that was my favorite thing since it really conveyed how ADD kojima got with his themes

like he got into moby dick references so you have ahab and ishmael, and pequod and then he gets bored after throwing in some names and then moves onto referencing lord of the flies in the same :downs: manner

I felt like it was foreshadowing a Tanker Mission.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You don't need to literally be on a boat to do Captain Ahab themes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

You don't need to literally be on a boat to do Captain Ahab themes.

Of course not, they just talked it up like it was going to be a thing, and then it's literally never mentioned outside of the prologue and tapes from the prologue.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Sylink posted:

Speaking of the lua files, is there a way to make the readiness maximum all the time 24/7? Its the closest to extreme I could imagine.

There is that subsistence mod but its not quite the same.
If you have the QAR Tool, go into Assets\tpp\Scripts\lib and open TppRevenge.lua. Look for the arrays of negative numbers and change them all to 0. That should ensure enemy readiness never decreases. If you then want to max it out really quick, change all the values for it increasing (they're a bit further down, look for Headshot=5 or something similar) to 600. Every time you do something that raises readiness it will max it out.

Stealth and Combat are a little trickier, what I did was change the enemy eliminated ones from M_STEALTH and M_COMBAT to just STEALTH/COMBAT, but left the ones for enemy annihilated (killed). Then I went to an outpost and did all the things that raise it, and everything maxed out. The best way I can explain it is to do all the following (you can combine them):
  • Tranq an enemy that doesn't notice you.
  • Kill an enemy that doesn't notice you.
  • Start a Combat Alert and tranq/CQC an enemy.
  • Start a Combat Alert and kill an enemy.
  • Get a headshot.
  • Get detected at night.
  • Kill an enemy at night.
  • Let an enemy witness a Fulton extraction (with a real balloon, NOT the Wormhole) and call it in to CP.
  • Kill an enemy with a vehicle gun or Pequod.
  • Snipe an enemy from outside their detection range and either leave them alive to call it in or let an ally witness it and call it in.
  • Use smoke or sleep gas on an enemy or use smoke or sleep gas and let the enemy see the cloud and report it to CP.
If you have 14 dispatch missions against enemy supplies and all the boxes are bright red, you're good, and if you changed all the negatives to 0s it'll never go down.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So here's a stupid question (which really belongs in the other thread, but you seem to know what you're talking about)

The enemy preparedness icons... does red mean they are more prepared, or less prepared? Because my gut says that red means it's more dangerous for me, which would mean they are more prepared, but the description is that the icons indicated enemy preparedness, and red means worse, so it would mean less-prepared.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

it's not over yet snake!

quite the good photoshop. that was last shot comes from some japanese site who took the datamined chapter 3 title card and somehow tried to convince everyone chapters 4/5 and epilogue existed too.

also confirmed photoshops, the recruitment of machine gun kid and shoot gunner into motherbase, those are floating around somewhere.

Oh yeah, MGSV was totally going to be a 150 hour game.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Red means you're in deep poo poo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

InfinityComplex posted:

Red means you're in deep poo poo.

K that's what I thought, but I was just unsure enough to need clarification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

Oh yeah, MGSV was totally going to be a 150 hour game.

actually, i'm at like 107 hours and i'm only up to mission 39/40 without even s-ranking much/full objectives and searching for the missing kids side ops 2 and i haven't even touch the fob poo poo yet or tried for 100% or gone looking for s-rank soldiers. i could totally see it.

still kinda hoping that the chapter 3 poo poo gets unlocked somehow, even if it's only like one story mission and about 20 harder versions of old missions, i'd be cool with that. hearing grade higher grade lists haven't unlocked for anyone even though the bars are there which is just weird too, so there must be something coming.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 30, 2015

• Locked thread