Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I always hate automating blue science. I always feel there's no efficient way to do so, or at least, not a simple way to go ahead and combine your massive oil refinery/storage with battery, advanced circuit and plastics...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Here's a factory breakdown of what is needed for 10 science that I shamelessly copied from a screenshot someone posted earlier in this thread.

Balanced science production (for 10)
- 5 red
- 6 green
- 12 blue
- 1 purple (level 1 speed)

Requires
RED
1 Gear
1 Source of copper plates
GREEN
2 Gear (one for transport belt, one for inserter)
1 Transport Belt
1 Inserter
1 Electronic Circuit
1.5 Wire
BLUE
11 Furnaces producing Steel
8 Advanced Circuits
5 Electronic Circuits (one for Inserter, 4 for Advanced circuits + further Inserters)
9.5 Wire (7.5 for Electronic Circuits, 2 for Advanced Circuits)
1 Smart Inserter
1 Fast Inserter
1 Inserter
1 Gear
5 Oil Refinery (Advanced Cracking required)
7 Chemical Plants (Cracking Light Oil to Petroleum)
1 Chemical Plant (Cracking Heavy Oil to Petroleum)
1 Chemical Plant (Sulfur)
1 Chemical Plant (Sulfuric Acid)
1 Chemical Plant (Plastic)
5 Chemical Plants (Batteries)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Building that many blues is really hard. I can never seem to get green circuit production up high enough. Even with 2-3 pairs of green circuit factories I always run into shortages of something. Usually copper.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

LLSix posted:

Building that many blues is really hard. I can never seem to get green circuit production up high enough. Even with 2-3 pairs of green circuit factories I always run into shortages of something. Usually copper.

Yeah, blue science production I find is the first place where you really need to look at your entire production chain and make sure you've got enough of everything coming in.

(For red/green you can generally get away with patching up shortages as you spot them. Blue, especially because oil gets involved (and oil can be a colossal clusterfuck if you don't plan it out), you need to be a bit more aware of what's going on.)

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

What determines if/when the aliens move up size categories? The small ones were no match for my SMG and the flamer took out their spawners readily but the medium ones are too tough to get near without a tank or power armor seemingly and the big ones I wind up having to kite into friendly turrets even when driving a tank. Throw in huge wormfields in seemingly every hive and my front lines move slower than WWI's.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

chairface posted:

What determines if/when the aliens move up size categories?

How much you're polluting and how many biters/bases you kill tick the evolution process forward.

Aim for the combat shotgun and the best shotgun ammo before big biters show up. You can mow through bases with that and good power armor as long as you keep an eye on your shields.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Little Abigail posted:

How much you're polluting

In particular, aliens "eat" pollution, which also gives away any bases they constructed in range of your pollution because it's a clean square among a sea of red. Once they eat enough they'll evolve to bigger ones, so I think the best way to deal with aliens early on is to kill them as soon as pollution is hitting them?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
As soon as you get green science automated and unlock piercing ammo it's almost mandatory that you take a stack and do a wide circle of your base and wipe out any nests. Then, any time you get attacked you have to run out and clean the nest they came from before they upgrade into something you can't handle. There's just too much of a gap between piercing and lasers and you can't clear them again until you get the piercing shotgun ammo post alien and blue science.

Lasers do work as a defense all the way up to huge biters.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 21, 2015

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Bhodi posted:

As soon as you get green science automated and unlock piercing ammo it's almost mandatory that you take a stack and do a wide circle of your base and wipe out any nests. Then, any time you get attacked you have to run out and clean the nest they came from before they upgrade into something you can't handle. There's just too much of a gap between piercing and lasers and you can't clear them again until you get the piercing shotgun ammo post alien and blue science.

Lasers do work as a defense all the way up to huge biters.

There's huge ones coming? :negative:

I've been clearing a perimeter but out past that and/or new spawns in areas I'm not developing seem to be an even mix of larges/mediums at this point which can be time consuming even with a tank and setting up a mobile firebase of turrets and stone walls to lure the biters into. I'm on the tier 1 power armor, which yeah with the piercing ammo in a combat shotgun I can wade in and clear out the worms but the tank can outrange even the large worms and I'm making shittons of tank shells for obvious reasons. And if there's biters/spitters etc around I need to stay in my tank and kite em.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Unless I don't know something, it should only go small/medium/big. And, as far as I care, the Tank and cannon shells are the intermediate step between piercing ammo and the combat shotgun + piercing shells.

I built up the launch site, made a bunch of satellites, then launched the rocket that was finally ready. Up... Up... Up...

A "you win!" screen :(:

I understand that they're not done yet, but it would be nice if there was something past that. I saw teaser images showing Space Platforms, so there's that, I just kind of wish there was a couple other intermediate placeholders, like launching a Laser Satellite that takes 200 accumulators, 200 solar panels, 200 lasers, and some steel, and letting you have an orbital death beam since you're already at the point where the biters are more tedium than challenge.

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig
Since 0.12 the biters go Small/Medium/Big... Behemoth. Enjoy.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
They added behemoths, so that there would be fewer biters running around as pollution progressed. Biters have 5000 health, Spitters have 2000 health (according to the Wiki at least)

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

They added behemoths, so that there would be fewer biters running around as pollution progressed. Biters have 5000 health, Spitters have 2000 health (according to the Wiki at least)

FFS what do you DO about something like that? He's just gonna soak up tank cannon and laser turret shots all loving day.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

chairface posted:

FFS what do you DO about something like that? He's just gonna soak up tank cannon and laser turret shots all loving day.

Keep in mind that it's an aggregate of about that much in HP of biters to begin with. Given how quickly upgraded laser turrets fire, a bank of upgraded turrets should deal with it pretty quickly.

The best way to deal with them is arguably to not let them spawn and control either your pollution level or the local biter population.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
None of them have any resistances to laser so it's not actually that bad. 8 laser turrets (surrounding a large power pole) can pretty drop a behemoth biter before it can reach them (assuming all laser upgrades). Even a full upgrade shotgun with piercing ammo can take one down... eventually. I haven't actually used any combat bots in 0.12 so I don't know if they do anything to biters, but my clearing strategy has been to use the personal roboport and a plan with 1 large power pole surrounded by 8 laser turrets. Just run in, drop those, have a ton of repair packs on hand, let the magic happen.

E: Yeah the thing to remember is that one behemoth is like 10 or so large, and they'll spawn that way. It's not really any "more" than it was before, it's just that same amount of HP and damage is coming at you in fewer creatures.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Good news there would probably only one of them! Time to build even more turrets!

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

None of them have any resistances to laser so it's not actually that bad. 8 laser turrets (surrounding a large power pole) can pretty drop a behemoth biter before it can reach them (assuming all laser upgrades). Even a full upgrade shotgun with piercing ammo can take one down... eventually. I haven't actually used any combat bots in 0.12 so I don't know if they do anything to biters, but my clearing strategy has been to use the personal roboport and a plan with 1 large power pole surrounded by 8 laser turrets. Just run in, drop those, have a ton of repair packs on hand, let the magic happen.

Destroyer combat bots will kill them faster than your piercing shotgun. Especially when you're running around with 50 or more.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

This is fun, but I'm really bad at it.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Finally fired up a new game with a friend and after around 40 rockets fired off into the sky I think we're reaching the limits of our bus. All sorts of problems just start cropping up when the bandwidth of our currently placed belts, and even pipes, are maxed out. We pre-planned 3 iron and 3 copper plate belts, but copper is getting a bit low when running full power, and a lot of other poo poo is getting increasingly non-trivial to deal with. Trying to max out the speed on a single launch pad seems to require a ridiculous amount of resources and I don't think our current bus is capable of that. Especially oil/petroleum. We got about 100 pumpjacks with Speed 3 modules and that's still no where near enough. I think I put in the wrong map settings or something cause I can't find more oil however loving far I run and if I do find new patches they're down to 0.1 in a few hours.

Regardless of oil, how do you expand the bandwidth of a bus when it's nearing the max of what you planned at the start? I could remodel the bus to accommodate more belts of resources, but apart from being a huge hassle that seems like it'd only solve things until some other resource runs out of either belt bandwidth or real-estate early in the bus. It's a pain when something at the bottom of the totem pole starts requiring multiple belts and rows. The other solution seems to be to outsource more and more, and only deliver finished goods to the base. I've never done that before. At least green chips seem to be a great candidate to make elsewhere, but oil processing seems to be more suitable for a central approach, so I'd probably keep any stuff requiring plastics at home.

Compared to what I've seen this is all still pretty small, and the bus itself is nothing special to look at, but for anything larger I feel like I'd want a fundamentally different approach than the bus, but anything else seems to be far less common.

Also, I've never actually had a decently sized train station. Turns out I love trains. The main reason I kept expanding was to make more train stations at some point really.

Finally, anyone know how many smelters in a row can be fed by one belt of ores? My production lines aren't currently running at full speed cause of an oil deficit, so things start clogging up, but I'm assuming that at some point I need to stop expanding left-wards and need to add more rows instead, or just smelt at the mines and train plates back.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Once I hit end game, I break my original base down so that it is just making base building components(belts, assemblers, ect). Then build new bases focused on maximizing the output of just one of the components for the final build project. Which then all get transported to one central base for construction.

If you really want to keep the one big base idea, then you just need to keep the bus going. The bus can always get wider and longer.

Need more greens, but you're out of copper bandwidth. Add a new train stop, a new set of smelters, and a new copper belt to the bus. No need to tear up the old green factory just make a new one. Then add a new line of greens to the belt, or merge it into the old green line.

However if oil bandwidth is your problem, the only solution is to find more oil or use lua commands to spawn more oil.

*edit: I English gud.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 28, 2015

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I 'solved' greens by adding a line on top of the bus that feeds back down into blues, but there's a shortage of room to add belts as well. Come to think of it, the whole bot network to the right of the bus was a bad idea. Got bots flying from the top to the bottom. Should've just put them at the end of the bus where all the resources gather anyway. I'll probably displace the bus to the north, keeping the current base area for smelting and solar, while updating the whole bus as well as getting rid of the old research facilities. But first, oil.

Oil is a real bitch. I can't even maintain 1/5th of my top production when the wells run dry to 0.1. When I made the game, I had the parameters set to encourage trains and outposts; large, rich, but few patches of all resources. For everything but oil that worked out nicely. Most of my oil nodes were around 100%, but what I really want is just a lot more of them to make the 0.1's add up into something sustainable. All the outposts on my map got started cause there's oil, there just happened to be other stuff nearby too.

Finally found some new oil but...well...

Even with 135 destroyer bots swarming around me and 1000+ shield power equipped, those big groups full of worms and behemoths are drat tenacious. I wish I could send in the bots alone, they got enough fire power to murder almost everything, but I don't have the staying power to let them do their work uninterrupted. I want new weapons, artillery or bombers or something.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Personal roboport makes walking turrets around very easy. I use a simple blueprint with a big power pole in the middle, surrounded by 8 turrets. I have a sillier one with a substation, power pole and 50 turrets, but it seemed to be overkill. 3-4 personal roboports give you enough range to be safe when placing. You do have to tank a little so initial bots can work if there are tons of worms and spitters, otherwise your bots will get sniped.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Fleve posted:

Even with 135 destroyer bots swarming around me and 1000+ shield power equipped, those big groups full of worms and behemoths are drat tenacious. I wish I could send in the bots alone, they got enough fire power to murder almost everything, but I don't have the staying power to let them do their work uninterrupted. I want new weapons, artillery or bombers or something.

One thing I do is 'slingshot' bots around. If you've got a buncha exosuits and can move quickly, you can whip the bots back and forth and you can end up throwing them pretty far.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Heh, so those kinds of isolated little outposts, is that how most people play? I've been pushing out through the aliens to decent chokepoints in the terrain and setting up turret/wall barriers between lakes/seas etc that way to cordon off huge swathes of land at once. This could also be why I was having to fight large biters before I was even effectively mass-producing tank shells to fight them with. I probably should figure out trains and robots work at some point, hrm.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

One thing I do is 'slingshot' bots around. If you've got a buncha exosuits and can move quickly, you can whip the bots back and forth and you can end up throwing them pretty far.

That's a neat trick I'll need to get a hang of. I accidentally had it happen a few times and having a full bot-swarm in the middle of an enemy base murder the lot in one sweep is very satisfying. With bots, most of my downtime during fights comes from waiting for shields to generate. Two reactors, three exo's, night vision and the rest shields seems to work ok'ish, but perhaps I'll switch in another reactor, or temporarily switch from exo to reactor to get my shield back quicker. I always feel silly when I got 100+ bots out and all I can do is wait for my shields to come back.

Boogalo posted:

Personal roboport makes walking turrets around very easy. I use a simple blueprint with a big power pole in the middle, surrounded by 8 turrets. I have a sillier one with a substation, power pole and 50 turrets, but it seemed to be overkill. 3-4 personal roboports give you enough range to be safe when placing. You do have to tank a little so initial bots can work if there are tons of worms and spitters, otherwise your bots will get sniped.

Do you plop it down in range of the base? Usually I start off outside of their range and then creep closer with subsequent bunkers, but that takes quite a while. If I plop it down too close there's a pretty good chance a lot of my bots get murdered, even 10-20 turrets need to shoot a while to deal with a squad of behemoths and drat they spawn pretty quickly too.

xjohnson
Sep 7, 2006
Johnson?
Young Orc
So I was starting a map w/ a friend and this is what we randomed...

It's a great peninsula with lots of building space for early/mid game.

code:
>>>AAAMAAgAAAADAwYAAAAEAAAAY29hbAMEBAoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl
AwQDCQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAMDBAoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAwMCCAAAAGl
yb24tb3JlAwQDBQAAAHN0b25lAwQDkm7v+UOKAAD8pAAAAAAAAAAAAA
ADALbK2bY=<<<

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

chairface posted:

Heh, so those kinds of isolated little outposts, is that how most people play? I've been pushing out through the aliens to decent chokepoints in the terrain and setting up turret/wall barriers between lakes/seas etc that way to cordon off huge swathes of land at once. This could also be why I was having to fight large biters before I was even effectively mass-producing tank shells to fight them with. I probably should figure out trains and robots work at some point, hrm.

Walls are the only way to go.

Also, I recorded about three episodes worth of footage for my LP last night (roughly three hours) and discovered that it had failed to capture the game audio. :suicide:

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

chairface posted:

I've always played like you play. I'm definitely a "grab way more land than I need and build miles of walls around it" guy, I'm having to force myself to build smaller bases and learn to use trains instead of just plunking down a mile of conveyor belts.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

chairface posted:

Trains are hella fun. Get trains. But don't get under trains.

With the amount of pollution and biters I've got at the moment, I really don't feel save unless everything I make is fully walled and lasered. Walls without lasers are just lines in the sand, but putting lasers in areas I'm not using is too expensive. I've already got 2400 lasers in use right now. I've also had water set to low because I didn't want it to interfere too much with my building plans, but that means I got zero natural borders.

Clearing areas and then plopping down some electricity poles to prevent new biter settlements is a great way to spread electricity and safety, but its rather time consuming.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
I all ways fight big base clusters, by running around throwing a bunch of poison caps down on the worms at each base. Then kiting the biter swam back to the walls and to let the guns kill them. Then go back and bulldoze the now worm less bases with a swam of combat bots and a shotgun.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

chairface posted:

I know one of the first thing I do after my initial setup is mass producing walls so I can create a large "safe-zone". Then I mass produce turrets, plop them down behind the walls, and also get a conveyor belt that goes the entire perimeter just behind the turrets and which carries ammo for inserters to reload the turrets.

It usually deals with biters long enough for me to build up my factory to the point I can start mass producing laser turrets.

Oh, and you should really figure out the robots. I usually belt nearly everything around, but robots are still amazing for construction. Expanding a well designed layout for which you have a blueprint becomes literally two clicks. Want to double your steel mill's capacity? Done. Want to double your red circuit capacity? Done. It's amazing.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Never messed with mods, so I don't know if this exists, but I just had an idea: roboport train car. It'd be especially neat if you could make it repeatedly preform a task, like "lay down tracks as far ahead as you can, then move to the end of the line.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You could probably set up a mod to at least run the roboport when the car is stopped (I guess with the personal roboport the code clearly exists for a moving logistics zone, but that sounds like a recipe for lost bots on a train). It would be very convenient for repairing and supplying distant bases...

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I like the idea of filling a train with tracks, walls, lasers and power lines and just sending it off to make a wall for as far as it can go.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I like the idea of filling a train with tracks, walls, lasers and power lines and just sending it off to make a wall for as far as it can go.

Or a train that could auto-pave huge swaths of land while also building its own tracks.

EDIT: Pave this gay earth.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Toast Museum posted:

Never messed with mods, so I don't know if this exists, but I just had an idea: roboport train car. It'd be especially neat if you could make it repeatedly preform a task, like "lay down tracks as far ahead as you can, then move to the end of the line.

It does exist, it's really bad and not very useful.

But if you want to pave the earth with a train, like at FARL.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Need a big Bertha Cannon that shoots pavement splotches.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Fleve posted:

There is an artillery mod, but it requires you to run right up to the target and drop a beacon on it, so it's kind of useless, because by the time the shells arrive your swarm of defensive robots has killed everything in sight anyways.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't played this in almost a year. I've dropped by to see if there were some major updates, been reading the last few pages and noticed something. No one mentions logistics robots?! Late game I used to remove every belt except iron/copper/coal etc and replace everything else with hundreds of logistic robots, it seemed to work pretty great as long as transportation distances were kept within reason. Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Don't worry, there are still logistics bots. They don't scale too well though, and a lot of us seem to be interested in building absolutely massive factories. But I use a ton of them for small incidental stuff.