Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

You do know you don't have to defend MGSV in this thread every time it's mentioned, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Hi I'm a single white male and I really hate breasts in videogames, will somebody please sleep with me now that I'm a feminist?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

i know this thread is about videogames and all but are you sure you want to present yourself as the kind of person that thinks men are only feminists so feminist women will have sex with them

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh boy this guy is back to concern troll about people not liking character designs again

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Quiet's design is stupid and indefensible but you can shoot her in the face and not have her in the game at all if it's stopping you from playing the game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Quiet's design is stupid and indefensible but you can shoot her in the face and not have her in the game at all if it's stopping you from playing the game.

How do I shoot the bad checkpoint system in its face? Or the overuse of Batmobile in Arkham Knight?

Actually, is there a way to turn off sewer levels in all games while we're here?

Or to maybe make characters that don't suck with a solution of 'just shoot them dead'?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thank you Ted that was the joke.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
If the checkpoints are bad for you (protip: enter outposts) try being better at the game and not dying.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the only positive aspect of quiet's existence is the videos of her model swapped with Ocelot's

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Alaois posted:

the only positive aspect of quiet's existence is the videos of her model swapped with Ocelot's

Truth.

SpookyLizard posted:

If the checkpoints are bad for you (protip: enter outposts) try being better at the game and not dying.

Not catchy enough. Try to pare it down to a two word phrase.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
git gud

shot girl

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

How do I shoot the bad checkpoint system in its face? Or the overuse of Batmobile in Arkham Knight?

Actually, is there a way to turn off sewer levels in all games while we're here?

Or to maybe make characters that don't suck with a solution of 'just shoot them dead'?
there's something you can shoot in the face to make all these problems go away at once

its you

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

SpookyLizard posted:

The checkpoint system isn't really even all that bad, they push you far back sometimes but none of the enemies or targets get un-tagged, and lots of objectives can be super rushed through once you know where everyone's stationed.

e: V I'll agree to that, but it hasn't really been all that big of a problem for me so far. :shrug:

Re: Quiet, the only thing about her design that sucks is that for some reason I can't figure out she'll just stop following me. Some backup you are, naked lady. t :mad:

Shoulda brought the dog with me.

Dewgy has a new favorite as of 18:25 on Sep 30, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's weirdly inconsistent though. Like, some checkpoints just plonk you outside the area you died in and let you pick up from where you pretty much left off. Others will boot you right to the mission start and make you do everything all over again.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Dewgy posted:

The checkpoint system isn't really even all that bad, they push you far back sometimes but none of the enemies or targets get un-tagged, and lots of objectives can be super rushed through once you know where everyone's stationed.

For the longer missions it can be a pain. Back Up, Back Down has a lot of moving parts and you need to cover a lot of ground. Resetting to a checkpoint when you're dealing with the last few units on the map brings you all the way back to the beginning of the mission.

Edit: VV I get a good start on my route and have most of the map cleared only to walk DHorse over a landmine

Action Tortoise has a new favorite as of 18:27 on Sep 30, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the checkpoints only really annoyed me on Back Up, Back Down because loving hell I've been instakilled by the tanks at the end or driven D-Horse into the canyon at that loving bridge more times than I want to think about

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Back Up, Back Down is probably the worst mission in the game though.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Dewgy posted:

Re: Quiet, the only thing about her design that sucks is that for some reason I can't figure out she'll just stop following me. Some backup you are, naked lady. t :mad:

Shoulda brought the dog with me.

Quiet needs a little more micromanaging than the other buddies but making commands on the map screen instead of using the buddy support screen shaves off some time.

Ddog can get too clingy to you when you need him to stay put. He could end up wandering into a sleep grenade cloud and drop his bond when all you want is for him to stay put.

kazil posted:

It's more fun when you come back with better gear but when you're first playing it it can feel really overwhelming with all of the side objectives.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I think in an opening cut scene of Peace Walker, you can zoom in through her clothes and just keep the camera on her while she is standing around in her underwear. She's also 14 or something. That plus a terribly unfun tank fight made me quit Peace Walker in about an hour.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
^ She actually does say in her personal log entries that she's amazed everyone thinks she's a teenager. Real age unknown, but posing as 16. Still weird that everyone on the base hits on her, but hey it was the 70s.

That said though, why did she have to get mostly naked to pilot Zeke? That I still don't get. :psyduck:

Action Tortoise posted:

Quiet needs a little more micromanaging than the other buddies but making commands on the map screen instead of using the buddy support screen shaves off some time.

Ddog can get too clingy to you when you need him to stay put. He could end up wandering into a sleep grenade cloud and drop his bond when all you want is for him to stay put.

I usually do all sniping and faceshots up close with D-Dog in tow, less grenade chucking, so that's fine by me. :black101:

Makes sense though, I'll have to try setting map commands for Quiet at some point.

Dewgy has a new favorite as of 18:53 on Sep 30, 2015

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Professor Wayne posted:

I think in an opening cut scene of Peace Walker, you can zoom in through her clothes and just keep the camera on her while she is standing around in her underwear. She's also 14 or something. That plus a terribly unfun tank fight made me quit Peace Walker in about an hour.

She says she's 16 and she's later revealed to be in her mid 20's. No, it doesn't make it any better.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
You folks know Quiet has an alternate costume that's, like, military equipment? I haven't even played the game but I know this.

I mean, it doesn't excuse her actual design, but if having her run around in a bikini is ruining the game for you or whatever, get that. Something after Episode 35, some key item I don't know.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

kazil posted:

I stole a vehicle, set up a roadblock on the road north of the Yakho Obo outpost, and all the heavy vehicles just stop to check it out. You can either fulton of destroy them.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Morpheus posted:

You folks know Quiet has an alternate costume that's, like, military equipment? I haven't even played the game but I know this.

I mean, it doesn't excuse her actual design, but if having her run around in a bikini is ruining the game for you or whatever, get that. Something after Episode 35, some key item I don't know.

episode 35 is like really far into the game

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Alaois posted:

episode 35 is like really far into the game

Ah, well, that sucks then. My bad.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I haven't even played it but literally everything about THPS5 is dragging it down, from the absurdly bad graphics to the fact that it's apparently missing tons of sound effects.

I would kill for a halfway decent THPS game that had local MP and got back to the series' roots. Instead we got a game that looks uglier than some of those earlier entries.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
My point is that MGS series is schlock entertainment aimed at young men which is based on the tropes from the 80 - 90s B movies. Your hero sports a mullet and the women are sexualized. Your James Bond hero fantasy is what it is. Good job pointing out it's stupid and sexist, because it really is, dorks. Kojima is a hack. It's what those games are, not a thing dragging them down. Please be offended about butt some more.

Vic has a new favorite as of 19:47 on Sep 30, 2015

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dewgy posted:

That said though, why did she have to get mostly naked to pilot Zeke? That I still don't get. :psyduck:

The in-story excuse is that Zeke's cockpit apparently gets so hot that it has to be flooded with coolant, so presumably she didn't want to ruin her clothes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vic posted:

My point is that MGS series is schlock entertainment aimed at young men which is based on the tropes from the 80 - 90s B movies. Your hero sports a mullet and the women are sexualized. Your James Bond hero fantasy is what it is. Good job pointing out it's stupid and sexist, because it really is, dorks. Kojima is a hack. It's what those games are, not a thing dragging them down. Please be offended about butt some more.

It really is quite mistyping why engineering a scenario to put a lady in a bikini- who never talks despite the existence of paper, pencils, and pagers- in warzone for some reason effected more outrage than say, zoom-ins of Ishmael's rear end in the beginning of the game.

So curious.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ishmael's rear end shots mercilessly sexualise a vulnerable, potentially civilian hospital patient in his helplessness. You monster.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RareAcumen posted:

It really is quite mistyping why engineering a scenario to put a lady in a bikini- who never talks despite the existence of paper, pencils, and pagers- in warzone for some reason effected more outrage than say, zoom-ins of Ishmael's rear end in the beginning of the game.

So curious.

The world's most appropriate typo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Oh we're supposed to jerk off to it, that's okay then.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Vic posted:

See I get that ArtIsResistance is just a really dumb troll gimmick but I'm not sure if you are genuine about this stupidity.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Vic posted:

You can enjoy a piece of entertainment, regardless of its artistic merit, and still have problems with its content. You can voice those opinions online in the right places.

One of those places happen to be here, the I Don't Like This Particular Element of a Certain Video Game Thread.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh we're supposed to jerk off to it, that's okay then.

If your mind immediately jumps to jerking off when you see a polygon butt, the game's not your main problem and you probably shouldn't visit beaches until you get this sorted out.

Again, what

The thing dragging MGSV down is no butt wiggle sound cue from MGS for female soldiers.

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature
Fan service doesn't bug me a whole lot, but in one of Phantom Pain's late game missions A Quiet Exit one of the soldiers attempts to rape Quiet. Shortly after she escapes, not even 5 minutes after the fact, there's a zoom-in on her jiggling tits.

I will defend a lot Kojima's bullshit but that left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Please stop getting really mad at people posting things they don't like about a game in the thread for posting things you don't like about games.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Alaois posted:

C'mon man, you can't say that and not post links.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

You can enjoy a piece of entertainment, regardless of its artistic merit, and still have problems with its content. You can voice those opinions online in the right places.

One of those places happen to be here, the I Don't Like This Particular Element of a Certain Video Game Thread.

It's amazing how people can be here, in the place specifically devoted to complaining about things you don't like in video games, and still be on a high horse about people pointing out some things they don't like in games.

c: Valve does balance passes for TF2 like twice a year so if poo poo gets changed that's basically it for the weapon. Now two of my favorite guns are completely to almost totally useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

Lizard Wizard posted:

C'mon man, you can't say that and not post links.

enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU98NsI6JV4

(minor spoilers for an optional cutscene)