Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Okay, non-false-alarm update question. Groove Music doesn't seem to be able to find any of my music. It's still there in my SD card's Music folder if I plug the phone into my computer, Groove Music apparently just has no idea it's there. Should I just delete it all and resync it or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Do we have word on what current phones will receive the W10 update? Might donate this old 520 to a family member, but if its gonna stay on 8.1 I won't inflict that torture on them.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

From what I know, all 8.1 phones will get W10. Just the 512mb ram ones will get some features cut so they can actually not die in the process of running it.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

DarkMalfunction posted:

Do we have word on what current phones will receive the W10 update? Might donate this old 520 to a family member, but if its gonna stay on 8.1 I won't inflict that torture on them.

Technically most Lumia phones will. Some officially and the rest via the Insider program.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Welp deleting/re-adding my music didn't work and the current preview build apparently can't find my contacts or send me notifications either for some reason so I guess I'm rolling back v:v:v

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/28/9408773/google-lg-nexus-5x-huawei-6p-pricing

Rumor mill estimates the nexus 6p (the one with snapdragon 810 and 2k screen) to start at $479.

From what I can tell the lumia 950xl will have a better camera (20mp vs 11?) as well as iris scanner compared to fingerprint reader.

It'll be interesting to see how much more Microsoft sets their price but this is a killer price if true for the nexus devices.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

CalvinandHobbes posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/28/9408773/google-lg-nexus-5x-huawei-6p-pricing

Rumor mill estimates the nexus 6p (the one with snapdragon 810 and 2k screen) to start at $479.

From what I can tell the lumia 950xl will have a better camera (20mp vs 11?) as well as iris scanner compared to fingerprint reader.

It'll be interesting to see how much more Microsoft sets their price but this is a killer price if true for the nexus devices.

I have a bad feeling the price where will be where Microsoft fucks up most on the 950's.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

.Tim posted:

I have a bad feeling the price where will be where Microsoft fucks up most on the 950's.

Don't worry, putting the power button between the volume buttons means it will be constantly irritating at any price.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Factor Mystic posted:

Don't worry, putting the power button between the volume buttons means it will be constantly irritating at any price.

I meditated, burned incense and summoned the demon ghost of Balmer, and the closest explanation I could come up with for the button placement is the following. Since the phone is a larger phablet design, the new button placement will prevent you from having to re-grip/stretch fingers to bounce between the upper volume spots and the power button usually placed in the middle. You can hold the phone in one hand and hit all three buttons with three fingers (or your thumb if you're left handed). Now we have three fingers on all three buttons resting while the pinky focuses on keeping grip. Now add to that the fact that I'm willing to bet 99% of us used our middle finger already to toggle power on/off, and our pointer finger usually slid up to handle volume/up down. So now we all have that middle finger power button muscle memory stored up over the years. So with the "old design" if we had volume up/down and power right below it bunched together on the 950XL, our middle finger would rest on the volume down button, not power causing total mayhem when we push power but instead toggle the volume down.

Now I don't know if this was their thought process, but it fits a certain kind of logic. The only new thing to learn now will be volume down is our third finger, not our pointer switching between the two, and it allows us to "efficiently" use all four fingers and thumb, instead of wasting two fingers (lower two) on just grip. If you're left-handed then I'm thinking nothing really changes for you, it's all thumb. Ooorrrrr "Let's do something different for no reason!", could go either way.

On an unrelated note my wife's 830 power button got mushy and was hard to press, so the local MS store replaced it with a new one no questions asked. Since she had to restore her backup anyway I figured might as well try the ATT denim update trick from windowscentral. Worked like a charm and she has denim now, so yay for small victories.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 29, 2015

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Make a cardboard cutout to test it out :unsmigghh:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have a phone with three buttons on one side. They are too close together to put three fingers on all at the same time. Best I can do is left hand pointer finger on the power (top button) and middle finger on the volume (lower two buttons). Since I'm right handed, I usually just grip it with right hand thumb on the power button (it has little ridges to find by feel) and I shift it down to adjust volume.

Best I can guess, they expect you to keep your thumb on the power and let you shift up or down only one button for volume.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I saw a blog post from ~2 years ago that MS had a new camera app that would produce photosphere-like images. I can do panoramas with the Lumia app but is there actually a way to do 360 pics?

edit; the app was called Photosynth but the link is dead. There are a ton of apps called Photosynth with no reviews.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Major suckitude

wormil fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 29, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

wormil posted:

I saw a blog post from ~2 years ago that MS had a new camera app that would produce photosphere-like images. I can do panoramas with the Lumia app but is there actually a way to do 360 pics?

edit; the app was called Photosynth but the link is dead. There are a ton of apps called Photosynth with no reviews.

Yeah, the photosynth apps got retired :(

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/photosynth/archive/2015/07/10/photosynth-mobile-apps-being-retired.aspx

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
I just broke my ICON yesterday. I had my old 822 and turn it back on for now. Wow I miss the smaller phone and I miss glance so much. If the phone wasn't much slower I would just keep it. Now the 735 seems nice, its smaller and has a good battery life, but its another phone without glance. It seems that non of the Verizon phones have glance on them now.

So get a faster phone or keep the slower phone that still has glance?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Uziduke posted:

I just broke my ICON yesterday. I had my old 822 and turn it back on for now. Wow I miss the smaller phone and I miss glance so much. If the phone wasn't much slower I would just keep it. Now the 735 seems nice, its smaller and has a good battery life, but its another phone without glance. It seems that non of the Verizon phones have glance on them now.

So get a faster phone or keep the slower phone that still has glance?

Microsoft store has the ICON for $249, no contract if you want that, but if you really want the small phone the 735 seems like the way to go.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 30, 2015

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Or you can wait to see if the Oct 6 announcement says whether or not Verizon will be carrying the new flagships or not.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake

Maneki Neko posted:

Microsoft store has the ICON for $249, no contract if you want that, but if you really want the small phone the 735 seems like the way to go.

Save about 70 on the 735 then, I rather have the 735 over the ICON anyways, since the ICON also doesn't have glance.

The flagship is probable going to be 400+, I cant afford that right now.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

http://www.winbeta.org/news/upcoming-lumia-950xl-show-up-early-in-the-microsoft-store

Microsoft accidentally listed the 950 and 950XL on the UK Microsoft Store site.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

How much is £XXX.XX in USD? Pricing this out

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

loquacius posted:

How much is XXX.XX in USD? Pricing this out

$45.70 (under current exchange rates)

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
As a Canadian I expect to get fully reamed but I will probably get it. I was holding out for the Sony and Nexus events since Android is tempting but the hardware left me feeling a bit unimpressed, and I think it'd be a loss coming from my stalwart 920. Hardware wise it has all the features I want, and having never owned a phablet I find myself debating which one I'll wind up getting. I'll probably spring for the continuum dock. I have paid almost zero attention to the actual OS itself so it will either exceed or completely fail my expectations.

As an aside, I've been trying to figure out if it's possible to get all my inboxes synced. I'm using the standard Windows Mail (Windows 10) on two computers, plus Outlook on the 920, and while the emails themselves sync it doesn't actually sync the inboxes. Is there something I'm missing? My main email device is my phone, but on the weekends it's annoying to open up the mail client on my computer and find all the emails I deleted or moved sitting right there.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I will wait for some first impressions, but I will likely get it at just about any cost, it is this or going iPhone, which is pricey enough, Android has been thoroughly disappointing to me (for no doubt entirely subjective reasons I wont start a flamewar over).

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Rastor posted:

http://www.winbeta.org/news/upcoming-lumia-950xl-show-up-early-in-the-microsoft-store

Microsoft accidentally listed the 950 and 950XL on the UK Microsoft Store site.

I love how this site doesn't render properly in mobile IE. I'd be happy with win phone 8.1 and a competent browser.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

c0burn posted:

I love how this site doesn't render properly in mobile IE. I'd be happy with win phone 8.1 and a competent browser.

Microsoft's site with OneNote training for teachers has video links that don't work in IE11, but work perfectly in Chrome. :iiam:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I will wait for some first impressions, but I will likely get it at just about any cost, it is this or going iPhone, which is pricey enough, Android has been thoroughly disappointing to me (for no doubt entirely subjective reasons I wont start a flamewar over).

I got myself a big iphone last friday and I haven't looked back.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I'm definitely getting this unless Microsoft somehow fucks this up but I want the 950XL based on what we know and if that holds up I'm in. But I'm like you with Android. I didn't enjoy my Note 4 very much (since my 1520 died I couldn't go back so I bought a 640, that's how much I wanted to get away from Android) and if I have to leave Windows Phone as much as I hate to say this I'd have to go the iPhone route as well.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

.Tim posted:

I'm definitely getting this unless Microsoft somehow fucks this up but I want the 950XL based on what we know and if that holds up I'm in.

I think you meant "Until", let's be honest here.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

I think you meant "Until", let's be honest here.

I don't know how they can in this specific case. I like the specs (though I wish there were a 128gb option, gently caress micro sd cards but I can live with them) and I like the designs. So unless they want like $1200 for that poo poo or they pull some "coming in early 2015" bullshit I don't think there will be a problem.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ah, the Windows Phone thread, the premier spot to talk about switching to iPhone

In (slightly) less depressing news, after a rocky experience trying to use the Win10 preview build I was impressed with how smoothly the rollback worked for me. It Just Worked. It's like I never even tried to upgrade at this point. I didn't even have to delete and readd my music.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Good news, everyone! Satya is doing his job and Google and Microsoft have dropped all patent litigation against each other :toot:

quote:

"Microsoft and Google are pleased to announce an agreement on patent issues. As part of the agreement, the companies will dismiss all pending patent infringement litigation between them, including cases related to Motorola Mobility," reads a joint statement from the two companies. "Separately, Google and Microsoft have agreed to collaborate on certain patent matters and anticipate working together in other areas in the future to benefit our customers."

I wonder if this means Google will end their policy of refusing to acknowledge Windows Phone exists :allears: Probably not, and the damage is already done anyway, but I can dream

loquacius fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 1, 2015

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

c0burn posted:

Search for "Awful Forums Reader" in the Store, I've had no problems with it. I think there is a thread somewhere about it.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

loquacius posted:

Google + Microsoft

We'll see. This stuff is just a really hyper-spin way of saying Google has lost all their recent idiotic patent litigation against Microsoft. Perhaps Google acknowledging Windows (Mobile) is what Microsoft gets instead of cash. That would certainly be nice for users.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

loquacius posted:

... the damage is already done anyway ...

I was going to wholeheartedly agree but then I remembered I just saw a ton of WPhones in the wild on my trip just now to London (ie. it's not as off the radar as it is in the US). But then again didn't Nadella just shitcan the whole WPhone endeavour? I'm confused now, what is real?

Any word on a dual SIM 950/950XL? I expect nothing atm but if you never ask etc.

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 1, 2015

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

DarkMalfunction posted:

Search for "Awful Forums Reader" in the Store, I've had no problems with it. I think there is a thread somewhere about it.

Yeah, the SA app is actually top-notch in its current incarnation, so that is one front where you'll be fine. Goes without say that SAs rendering on IE is more of an SA thing than an IE thing also, not that this fact helps anyone :)

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

DarkMalfunction posted:

I mean the site linked in the post I quoted.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mr Funkface posted:

I was going to wholeheartedly agree but then I remembered I just saw a ton of WPhones in the wild on my trip just now to London (ie. it's not as off the radar as it is in the US). But then again didn't Nadella just shitcan the whole WPhone endeavour? I'm confused now, what is real?

No, he just backed off the "you have to get a windows device to get the best experience" approach that was previously being pushed to more of a "we're on everything" approach. Would be nice if this made Google go down the same path.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

c0burn posted:

I mean the site linked in the post I quoted.

Oh poo poo right, didn't notice that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The more I use the 640XL the more I hate it, other than it's large size for my large hands I'm waiting to ditch this turd for a flagship, drat I'm disappointed.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

s.i.r.e. posted:

The more I use the 640XL the more I hate it, other than it's large size for my large hands I'm waiting to ditch this turd for a flagship, drat I'm disappointed.

What do you hate out of interest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I keep seeing articles on the Internet saying that the lumia 950 and 950XL will launch on the 6th. I thought that was the official press release. Am I wrong in assuming launch means "able to be purchased" or is there a possibility that I can go buy one on Tuesday?