Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Don't forget a nauseating and insane sex tape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
You could say that Kathryn Bigelow is a record breaking director.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

davidspackage posted:

Don't forget a nauseating and insane sex tape

:stare:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Speaking of nauseating I wasn't aware that this "First look at Hardcore" existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMnURHXFhuE

If it's your thing, good for you, but even this 3 minute clip made me feel motion sick.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 30, 2015

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Oh please let me ruin your day.

(nws, but it's the SA article about it)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Maybe expand on this a little? This sounds like it could be a total pile or it could be okay.

quote:

Utah clicks to the next Power-Point frame - depicting a bullshit-free looking JAPANESE MAN who sits on his knees painting a Kanji haiku with a large brush.
UTAH (CONT’D)
Technically known as the Ozaki Eight or the Eight Ordeals of Ono Ozaki. (nods)
Ozaki was a poet-warrior. An extreme environmental activist and one of the founding fathers of Extreme Poly-Sport. He challenged the extreme sports world to a gauntlet of eight ordeals that he believed mastered all the essential forces of nature. He believed that only the individual who could identify the single perfect line existing thru each of these elemental geo-forces had a chance of completing and surviving all eight ordeals. Any single person who did, he said ...
(nods) Would achieve nirvana.

quote:

UTAH: Is everybody on this boat ... ? Are they all chasing the 8?
BOHDI: One way or another. We travel together - moveable feast. Support each other in the quest.
Utah blinks.
UTAH: You’re not all ... competitive?
Bohdi gives him a curious look back.
BOHDI: Competitive in what? Trying to beat another man on the way to enlightenment? I’d get no satisfaction out of that.
VOICE
(coming up from behind)
You know Bohdisattva, this ringer sure asks a lot of questions.

:jerkbag:

second-hand smegma posted:

Yikes, video game voice acting, celebrity rehab, and and episode of Law & Order. Dude's life is hosed.

I worked on this show before I got into the marketing side and was on set with him several days in a row while filming.

It's always fun to film someone talking about their steps on the road to recovery while obviously coked out of their mind. The dude was blasted during his therapy sessions with Dr. Drew on Sober House and I'm like, man. You're an actual doctor. You clearly know what's happening here, you just don't care about him any more and I'm not sure I blame you.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
You're just making me want to see the Point Break remake more and more but maybe because I never had any nostalgia/affinity for the original.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Yeah, I didn't want to beat a dead horse but "self-serious plot thread about extreme sports warrior-poet philosopher" is what I want from the movie

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Brit Marling has a new movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhaaCTwyypM

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

Yeah, I didn't want to beat a dead horse but "self-serious plot thread about extreme sports warrior-poet philosopher" is what I want from the movie

I feel like Savages was trying to get in on this a bit but just doesn't commit, except to be extremely irritating.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I feel like Savages was trying to get in on this a bit but just doesn't commit, except to be extremely irritating.

I still need to see that, even though I usually get it confused with The Counselor. That seems like it'd be a good double-bill.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

I still need to see that, even though I usually get it confused with The Counselor. That seems like it'd be a good double-bill.

The Counselor is the good version of Savages, if you can believe that.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
The character was already named Bodhisattva, how could I not want him to take his extreme sports incredibly seriously on a philosophical and spiritual level

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

This looks really good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
That Point Break script snippet sounds like absolute horseshit, but in an entertaining way??

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

This looks really good.

I wasn't wild about The East, but this looks good.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I wasn't wild about The East, but this looks good.

Never saw The East, but I enjoyed Another Earth enough. Also I don't think Brit wrote this one. Unless IMDB is just leaving her off for whatever reason. Julia Hart has the credit.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

There are some interesting shots in there, but it looks weirdly flat to me. Maybe I'm just used to everything being color-corrected to hell and back.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Natalie Dormer gets stuck in Japanese ghost forest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDs_DYow7xA

Unfortunately doesn't look very good, I really love the setting though

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The Counselor is the good version of Savages, if you can believe that.

The Counselor has a few genuinely chilling moments that I found unforgettable, you just have to wade through a sea of poo poo to encounter them.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

second-hand smegma posted:

The Counselor has a few genuinely chilling moments that I found unforgettable, you just have to wade through a sea of poo poo to encounter them.

yeah the Counselor's a bizarre, wildly uneven movie but when it hits, it hits hard.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Everyone does. It's like those Krampus movies-- some low-levels saw reddit threads and buzzfeed articles featuring them like 3 years ago and jumped on it because it's a "viral trend" or whatever for a quick buck. I'm not really complaining though, beats rote slashers and cheap remakes.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

davidspackage posted:

Oh please let me ruin your day.

(nws, but it's the SA article about it)

There's a goon that has a still from that sex tape.

Back to Bigelow, probably the best contribution to "Wild Palms"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3pXRNp6nV8

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Looks generic, by-the-numbers as gently caress. You've got a great, creepy setting, and it looks like it's going to be wasted on a movie full of jumpscares. When the trailer basically puts like, 2 or 3 of them in there, I think the odds that it's going to be a lovely poo poo is fairly high. I mean, what response are we supposed to have other than "oh, just gently caress off" towards this poo poo?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

Looks generic, by-the-numbers as gently caress. You've got a great, creepy setting, and it looks like it's going to be wasted on a movie full of jumpscares. When the trailer basically puts like, 2 or 3 of them in there, I think the odds that it's going to be a lovely poo poo is fairly high. I mean, what response are we supposed to have other than "oh, just gently caress off" towards this poo poo?

"I'm in a key demo and this setting appeals to me because this was a common reddit "did you know about..." topic from 3 years ago"

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 1, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's got shades of "lipstick on a pig" but it's impressive how much better the old Goosebumps theme makes the upcoming movie look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1w4CFwmEWg

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Hakkesshu posted:

Is this a remake? I swear there was a horror film just like this except more teens dying. Also I think the premise was dont steal from the dead instead of stay on the path. Anyone?

EDIT:

Found it.

CheeseSpawn fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 1, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
For a second I thought this was that Gus Van Sant movie about Aokigahara forest that I was all excited for but apparently that came out a while back and sucked. :( What's going on GVS?
It really is a setting that deserves a good movie but apparently everyone keeps loving that up.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gus Van Sant does seem like a good choice to direct a movie about that

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's possibly that Gus Van Sant kind of sucks.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's possibly that Gus Van Sant kind of sucks.

i mean, dude did Finding Forrester, so, yeah.

i think To Die For is a masterpiece though and i, uh... kinda like Good Will Hunting.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think "inconsistent" is the better description. He's done his share of decent films and a fair amount of lovely ones.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
How do film companies avoid leaks through trailer houses? Is The Force Awakens trailer being cut by an internal marketing team, or do they send only the first 3/4s of the film out to the trailer houses or what? I mean I know they all sign NDAs and stuff, but still...

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Jewmanji posted:

How do film companies avoid leaks through trailer houses? Is The Force Awakens trailer being cut by an internal marketing team, or do they send only the first 3/4s of the film out to the trailer houses or what? I mean I know they all sign NDAs and stuff, but still...

Breaking an NDA will get you shitcanned, blackballed, and sometimes prosecuted so I'd say that's a pretty decent deterrent.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Sometimes the vendor gets the film and dailies with a giant semi-opaque "property of" burn over the picture with the name of the trailer company on it, sometimes the burn is small and in the corner, and sometimes they get all the picture clean. Regardless, there is always a high level of internal security within trailer and print marketing houses because if the film leaks from there it's game over for the company. Not only would they get sued into oblivion, no studio would ever use their services again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mind the walrus posted:

It's got shades of "lipstick on a pig" but it's impressive how much better the old Goosebumps theme makes the upcoming movie look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1w4CFwmEWg

The theme doesn't come up once in the movie. Or if it did, it must've missed it.

Movie was pretty alright though! I really liked it.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Breaking an NDA will get you shitcanned, blackballed, and sometimes prosecuted so I'd say that's a pretty decent deterrent.

Weirdly, a couple of stills from what is likely the TFA trailer popped up months ago (a shot of Rey, Finn, and Han in the Millennium Falcon cockpit and a shot of General Hux in a star destroyer command room with Phasma looking at some kind of hologram). Their origin was never explained and nothing else ever appeared, but it seems that someone who had been working on the trailer made some very small leaks

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vagabundo posted:

I think "inconsistent" is the better description. He's done his share of decent films and a fair amount of lovely ones.

He's a little like Godard that way.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I don't think I've seen anything by Van Sant that comes close to Godard's best, but I have haven't watched Idaho or Gerry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I thought Elephant was pretty good :shrug:
Looks like he's been having a run of bad to mediocre films since Milk I guess

• Locked thread