Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Entropic posted:

Are there any fun 2-3 card infinite combos that are Peasant-legal?

Midnight Guard + Presence of Gond is the only truly infinite one I can think of.

Other potential peasant-legal non-infinite combos:
Fire Covenant + Spitemare
Channel + Fireball (or other x-spell of choice)
Kitchen Finks + Ivy Lane Denizen/Juniper Order Ranger (+sac outlet for true value)
Thopter Foundry + Sword of the Meek works, but is super narrow outside of the combo

whydirt fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Edit: double post

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

whydirt posted:

Midnight Guard + Presence of Gond is the only truly infinite one I can think of.
That's a fun one. I already run Presence of Gond for the GW tokens theme and I could probably squeeze Midnight Guard in.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
I have a cube:

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/26140;jsessionid=6D1ADFEA05ADC8FD50DF224B9C98B234

I'd be interested to know your thoughts.

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

It's sort of all over the place. You have some insane bombs (Frost Titan but not the others, for example) and some real garbage (Tibalt?) mixed with a ton of bleh-to-decent noncreature spells. Saying it like that makes it sound like you're going for a modern limited environment, which is okay if that's what you want -- except that the fixing is really good. Because of this, the players with more experience are greatly pressured into 4/5-color control. And that sucks in draft because it really lowers the feeling of payoff for people who try to commit to a more traditional limited strategy of focusing on two colors.

I'd consider cutting either the 50 best cards, the 50 worst, or maybe both. But as always this depends on your playgroup -- if everyone's a shark it's a fine old-school cube.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

That's a lot of dragons!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

From a quick glance, you don't have enough 1-drops to make traditional fast aggro decks worthwhile.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

There's a huge delta in power level between your most powerful cards and your least powerful, which is kind of weird. I'm also not a huge fan of having three colour cards basically at all, so two of each is crazy to me, although that's more of a taste thing. Your mana curve looks very high. I'm not convinced on some of the themes you want to support either.

Really though there's no substitute for testing it and seeing what works and what doesn't. There's cool stuff in there - 10 evolving wilds is interesting, even if I'd prefer the Khans/Zendikar fetches.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Here's the current iteration of the cube me and my friends put together a few years ago:

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/38549

Really happy with where it's currently at!

Gorrister
May 14, 2014

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Here's the current iteration of the cube me and my friends put together a few years ago:

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/38549

Really happy with where it's currently at!

it looks pretty good! what's up with your color balance though?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Gorrister posted:

it looks pretty good! what's up with your color balance though?

We count lingering souls and unburial rites as W/B cards, phyrexian metamorph as colorless, forbidden alchemy as U/B, momentary blink as U/W, rakdos cackler and shrine of burning rage as red, moriok replica as black and weatherseed totem as green. That brings it to 50 cards of each color and 5 gold cards in each pair.....except I appear to be missing a black card. Welp!

tallkidwithglasses fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 4, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

You can define cards as being whichever color you want, in cube tutor, which can help organization. It is in edit under "color profile".

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
What are good options for relatively large red creatures in peasant? I'm planning on making aggro one of the main red themes, but I would like to throw in a few larger threats.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I have a very special Cube that I've been tinkering with for the last few years: No rares, all cards have at least two colored mana symbols. I just recently finished updating it through the end of Khans block.

While I definitely know I need to actually draft it a few times, I can't help wanting to continue tinkering with it. The biggest change I'm thinking about is abolishing the no rare rule.

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/1863

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

kirtar posted:

What are good options for relatively large red creatures in peasant? I'm planning on making aggro one of the main red themes, but I would like to throw in a few larger threats.

I run Gathan Raiders and Stoneshock Giant at 5 mana, and Shockmaw Dragon and Volcanic Dragon in the 6 mana slots. Though to be fair, Gathan Raiders is really a 3 mana dredge/reanimator enabler rather than a 5 mana red creature. Other options include Scuzzback Marauders (a real house in pauper cube, couldn't find a space for it in peasant) and Spitebellows (if you have a few instant speed flicker effects, he could be rather fun).

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

I have a very special Cube that I've been tinkering with for the last few years: No rares, all cards have at least two colored mana symbols. I just recently finished updating it through the end of Khans block.

While I definitely know I need to actually draft it a few times, I can't help wanting to continue tinkering with it. The biggest change I'm thinking about is abolishing the no rare rule.

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/1863

I'm not sure I like the 1 drops, just because it seems like they'll almost never get played on time. I did a couple mock drafts and it seems like you might be a touch short on fixing, because I assume everyone will be prioritizing it over anything else and you'll need enough for every drafter to get some or else the decks will play out reeeeal clunky. Maybe add the borderposts from alara reborn and/or the banners from khans?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm not sure I like the 1 drops, just because it seems like they'll almost never get played on time. I did a couple mock drafts and it seems like you might be a touch short on fixing, because I assume everyone will be prioritizing it over anything else and you'll need enough for every drafter to get some or else the decks will play out reeeeal clunky. Maybe add the borderposts from alara reborn and/or the banners from khans?

Yeah, this is the third or fourth version of the Cube and I've intentionally scaled the mana fixing back because I didn't everyone to just go five colors and play literally all the spells.

I may have gone too far in the other direction. That said, I'm leery of anything that adds three colors, because it makes adding extra colors a lot easier.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, this is the third or fourth version of the Cube and I've intentionally scaled the mana fixing back because I didn't everyone to just go five colors and play literally all the spells.

I may have gone too far in the other direction. That said, I'm leery of anything that adds three colors, because it makes adding extra colors a lot easier.

I'm not sure there's a magic inflection point where you have fixing for 2 or 3 color decks but not enough fixing for 5 color decks when every card in the cube is gold. As it stands now it feels like tri lands and bouncelands are windmill slam picks and I'd probably prioritize fixing over literally any action card, even as bad as your fixing currently is. Replacing the cluestones with signets and/or borderposts might help, but I think allowing the 5 color deck to exist also enables things like 2 color aggro decks, which don't feel possible right now.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm not sure that adding extra fixing will make straight two colors possible either though, because there are only so many cards in every guild.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/13416
I just finished the phase of "throw a bunch of cards in" and am going back through to balance things out. There are 458 cards to support Lore Seeker while maintaining variance and to allow for a regular 450 if desired. Blue has one more card than the other colors, but since that card is Storm Crow, I'm not too concerned. In addition to the usual hybrid cost cards, I have Rise // Fall and Slave of Bolas as hybrids for Dimir and Rakdos, but this is likely to change because Fall can be pretty meh seeing as I already have Hymn to Tourach, Wrench Mind, Hypnotic Specter, Okiba-gang Shinobi, and Blightning in the cube. If I make that cut I'm considering Baleful Strix, Recoil, or Far // Away for Dimir. I'm not sure what I would do for Rakdos. Maybe Rix Maadi Guildmage for the lazy option. Black's creature base probably needs some help, although I was attempting to make it more of a control color.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 8, 2015

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>
How many basic lands do you need for a 360 cube?
Or do you work it out per person?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Forty of each is generally enough for an 8-person draft.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I just got a LotV in the mail and the closer my cube is to done the less I'm inclined to draft it at the LGS without proxying the more expensive cards. Where are people getting proxies right now? Any good recommendations? I'd prefer it if I could have it clearly indicated on the card.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
BaronVonVaderham here in our own forums does some very nice ones. He made me some earlier this year. You can tell they're proxies, but that's totally okay. For instance my Wurmcoil Engine looks like a pre-8th artifact, which I think looks cool.

Here's the thread where he discusses them: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3387998&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=669#post433136275

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Any fun cube plays recently? Friend was playing a u/g pod deck splashing recurring nightmare against another friend on worldknit. Worldknit guy has shackles and steals pestermite then plays a Kiki-jiki the turn before pod player could've recurring nightmared a terrastodon. And that was for the match. We died.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Pontius Pilate posted:

Any fun cube plays recently? Friend was playing a u/g pod deck splashing recurring nightmare against another friend on worldknit. Worldknit guy has shackles and steals pestermite then plays a Kiki-jiki the turn before pod player could've recurring nightmared a terrastodon. And that was for the match. We died.

Worldknit guy had actual islands out, right?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Some Numbers posted:

Worldknit guy had actual islands out, right?

If he's playing Worldknit and Shackles I'm assuming the only non-Islands he had were lands he drafted before Worldknit.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Yeah, all islands and a plateau. He picked worldknit p2p1 in a burn draft so relatively early.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Does anyone have or know a list for a low powered battle box? I'm trying to put something together to play with old friends occasionally that feels closer to 'old casual magic' than the modern era, without the hassle of drafting.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Is there a Naya colored card that's any good at all? I started with Woolly Thoctar and it was maybe ok at best if you had great mana, it was switched to Naya Charm and I think that's only made 1 deck in a couple months of having it. Trace of Abundance and Meglonoth both seem like they might be OK, but neither feel like a payoff or anything. I like having a cycle of 1 card for each allied shard but RWG is making it hard.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Is there a Naya colored card that's any good at all? I started with Woolly Thoctar and it was maybe ok at best if you had great mana, it was switched to Naya Charm and I think that's only made 1 deck in a couple months of having it. Trace of Abundance and Meglonoth both seem like they might be OK, but neither feel like a payoff or anything. I like having a cycle of 1 card for each allied shard but RWG is making it hard.

Fiery Justice is pretty strong. Marisi's Twinclaws is okay.

Thornscape Battlemage?

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Fiery Justice or maybe Tamanoa if you have a weird cube.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Wild Nacatl is pretty ok.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

What is the difference, explained by someone who isn't trying to hype it up, between a battle box and doing sealed out of a cube?

Talk to me like I'm a lazy moron who would rather hear it from no nonsense SA posters

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Fiery Justice is pretty much the best one. Marath is also decent as a 3/3 that can lightning bolt or make a bunch of 1/1s.

As far as doing sealed out of a cube? I've done it a few times - it's alright. It's better in a peasant or unpowered cube list, in my opinion, because the swingy-ness won't be as prevalent as it is in powered cubes (i.e. someone ending up with 4 pieces of power, time walk, tinker, etc).

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Oh yeah, Nacatl is the best Naya card if you're not running it in your mono-green section.

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

I'm just new enough to Magic to realize how deep of a money sink it can be so pauper/peasant cubes appealed to me. I've nearly put together Adam Styborski's cube. I was wondering if people had any thoughts on the list or shortcomings that may warrant consideration. From what I can tell, it has pretty much all of the "core" commons people like to include, but I can't tell if it's distinct in any major ways. I'm still eagerly awaiting the arrival of a fat stack of sleeves for this thing to take it for a spin.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Turn away now. That's a good solid cube list and if you sleeve it up you're going to be finding yourself chasing down 100+ dollar cards for your unpowered 450 list before you even know what happened.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Spiderdrake posted:

What is the difference, explained by someone who isn't trying to hype it up, between a battle box and doing sealed out of a cube?

Talk to me like I'm a lazy moron who would rather hear it from no nonsense SA posters

Battle Box is better for a multiplayer game and/or for including people who haven't played much Magic before, since it doesn't involve deckbuilding and most boxes are built to take advantage of the fact that several archetypes that tend to overrun multiplayer games don't really work in the format (combo is very unlikely to come together, and ramp is generally impossible). It hinges even less on synergy than sealed does. Two players who're already familiar with Magic would probably have more fun with Sealed.

My friends and I Battle Box my cube sometimes when there's an awkward number of us for a draft, just taking out any mana ramp, land destruction, and land cards when we draw them, but it'd be more fun with a box actually built for it (as it is, Sneak Attack is usually an instant-win card, for example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
I have a paper styborski cube, it's a good list and covers the history of the game pretty well. Black and red have felt pretty oppressive sometimes but it might have been poor play and variance.