Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Personally i'm pumped because i like lazers and brotherhood power armor. And the easiest way to get that is by killing Brotherhood idiots. This was the worst part of FO3, because it wasn't until late-game you would have easy access to energy weapons from dead Enclave soldiers.

I also am hoping for some giant bulky "armor" that completely protects you from radiation so you can explore the glowing sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Speedball posted:

Yeah. The Brotherhood were a product of the times that formed them. When they started out they were a bunch of military guys holding onto a huge stockpile of lasers and plasma weapons, the kind of thing you do NOT want bandits to get ahold of, and so their boss handed down commandments that they were never, ever, EVER supposed to share them and should police up any other dangerous tech they knew of. When they started out the world was exclusively full of mowhawked maniacs and themselves, but as time passed, the rest of the world started actually rebuilding, making their mission obsolete. So now a lot of them are just plain assholes who are just justifying keeping all the shineys to themselves.

Yeah, New Vegas really nailed that about the Brotherhood - particularly how when you encounter them they're dealing with the fact that just prior to the game's events they got their poo poo kicked in because their attitude was so out of date.

I think it's a credit to the concept of the Brotherhood that they can take the place of heroes, villains, or dickish neutrals in a Fallout story entirely plausibly depending on how you write the leader of that particular chapter.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Nasgate posted:

This was the worst part of FO3, because it wasn't until late-game you would have easy access to energy weapons from dead Enclave soldiers.

My tactic was always "plink from a distance, run them across a series of landmines until they lose legs, collect armor" but that just led to me walking around with half-broken armor. Hopefully it's a little easier to suit up this time around. I'm curious if all power armor is gonna treated like that big walk-in iron man suit, or if that's just a special, bad-rear end case for fighting deathclaws.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Jonesy posted:

My tactic was always "plink from a distance, run them across a series of landmines until they lose legs, collect armor" but that just led to me walking around with half-broken armor. Hopefully it's a little easier to suit up this time around. I'm curious if all power armor is gonna treated like that big walk-in iron man suit, or if that's just a special, bad-rear end case for fighting deathclaws.
Did you see the whole power armor customization thing during E3?

Having it be a legitimate walk-in iron man suit instead of just something that you slap on from your inventory is a big part of the game.

I assume you're going to have some Batman setup where you call Alfred to fly in your power armor when you need to use it. Or maybe it will be launched to you on a rocket. Who knows.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
I apologize for my ignorance but i've only ever played Fallout 1 & 2 briefly, and about 10 hours of fallout 3. Are FO3 and NV separate games or is NV an expansion?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Loose Ifer posted:

I apologize for my ignorance but i've only ever played Fallout 1 & 2 briefly, and about 10 hours of fallout 3. Are FO3 and NV separate games or is NV an expansion?

Essentially separate. NV uses the same engine, but takes on a different story, location, and changes around (I would say improves) most game systems. Both games have a suite of about 4 expansions each.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X95lZ56ddj4

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Loose Ifer posted:

If you haven't played New Vegas you might like to check it out before Fallout 4. It's really good. You should be able to buy it for a very reasonable price. It has a lot of quality of play features that iterated on Fallout 3 quite a bit.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Inverness posted:

Having it be a legitimate walk-in iron man suit instead of just something that you slap on from your inventory is a big part of the game.

I assume you're going to have some Batman setup where you call Alfred to fly in your power armor when you need to use it. Or maybe it will be launched to you on a rocket. Who knows.

I was always a little disappointed with power armor before in the series, given that it amounted to just a lot more defense, so this is a very welcome change.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Inverness posted:

I totally missed that part of the presentation. I'm pretty stoked about it now though, definitely excited to blare sabbath and punch radioactive wildlife.

has there been any sweet preorder swag offered?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Geostomp posted:

I was always a little disappointed with power armor before in the series, given that it amounted to just a lot more defense, so this is a very welcome change.

It also upped your resistances and carry weight in the previous games. And people around you would start making whitty quips.

But yes, I'm also glad to see they're expanding on the concept since the armour is an iconic part of the series that's supposed to turn you into (even more of) an unstoppable badass but never really touched on.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

It made you practically bulletproof in Fallout 1 and 2 due to how the armor system worked. It seems like they're making it a thick layer of HP over body parts but makes you a lot slower in this game.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

xutech posted:

If you haven't played New Vegas you might like to check it out before Fallout 4. It's really good. You should be able to buy it for a very reasonable price. It has a lot of quality of play features that iterated on Fallout 3 quite a bit.

I think i'll probably pick it up. Thanks dudes.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

It's kinda weird that you need a gun to do charisma on animals to pacify them. I would think that wouldn't be a factor.

This videos are great

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 30, 2015

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Speaking of lasers, that's one of the things in the Fallout series so far that's bothered me. They're spoken of in these reverent tones and treated like magical death wands, but when you get them they're just kind of okay. They're rare and their ammo is rare, and their performance doesn't justify the fact that in the first two games, "Energy Weapons" is a dead skill for so long because you don't have any energy weapons, and in the third game energy weapons are super rare. New Vegas fixed it a little by making laser rifles and pistols more common and not talking them up so hard (outside the Brotherhood of Steel), so you could actually use the drat skill, but they're just kind of okay, and can't take advantage of the fact that energy weapons just have a few kinds of ammo while Guns can have a bullet for every occasion.

I think Fallout 4 is taking the "stop hyping them so hard" approach, although the fact that Gun Nut for better gun mods requires Int 3 and Science for better laser mods is Int 6 means maybe they aren't. Who knows, we'll find out soon enough, I guess.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I always liked using laser weapons in F3 and NV if only for the fact that they were so drat accurate by being hitscan

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I love the SPECIAL videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwA7c_rNbJE

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Jonesy posted:

has there been any sweet preorder swag offered?

Only this:

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Inverness posted:

But how am I supposed to be playing wasteland dressup if I already get a wicked iron man-kill-everything-upgradable-armour-ready-at-a-drop-of-a-hat thing? Seriously out of all the other worries in this thread, the whole power armour thing got me the most upset. Half of the fun in Fallout 3 was to pick up bits and pieces of clothing/armour and try to get the best protection while look cool at the same time.

So I hope to god the starship trooper style power armour is only for special areas or special missions.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

From the gameplay videos it's pretty clear that the duration is limited, I think it was called CORE and it decayed faster if you used the jet pack

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

GyverMac posted:

But how am I supposed to be playing wasteland dressup if I already get a wicked iron man-kill-everything-upgradable-armour-ready-at-a-drop-of-a-hat thing? Seriously out of all the other worries in this thread, the whole power armour thing got me the most upset. Half of the fun in Fallout 3 was to pick up bits and pieces of clothing/armour and try to get the best protection while look cool at the same time.

So I hope to god the starship trooper style power armour is only for special areas or special missions.

You could always not wear it.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Loose Ifer posted:

You could always not wear it.

True, but still. Kind off a weird design option for a game centered around making your own character. I'm guessing and hoping if its not area limited, the powerarmour runs off some hard to get ressource, making it so that if you want to use it, you'd have to get the nessecary fuel. In that case, it becomes a last ditch resort to get through a particular hard spot, not something that completely controls the game.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

GyverMac posted:

True, but still. Kind off a weird design option for a game centered around making your own character. I'm guessing and hoping if its not area limited, the powerarmour runs off some hard to get ressource, making it so that if you want to use it, you'd have to get the nessecary fuel. In that case, it becomes a last ditch resort to get through a particular hard spot, not something that completely controls the game.

That's pretty much what they're going for from what I've gathered from the limited information. I mean they have full customization too from what they've said, so you can play dress up with the suit as well as your spandex.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Speedball posted:

Yeah. The Brotherhood were a product of the times that formed them. When they started out they were a bunch of military guys holding onto a huge stockpile of lasers and plasma weapons, the kind of thing you do NOT want bandits to get ahold of, and so their boss handed down commandments that they were never, ever, EVER supposed to share them and should police up any other dangerous tech they knew of. When they started out the world was exclusively full of mowhawked maniacs and themselves, but as time passed, the rest of the world started actually rebuilding, making their mission obsolete. So now a lot of them are just plain assholes who are just justifying keeping all the shineys to themselves.

I mean, I'll be okay if they just keep the basic jist of their invasion like this and won't cry too much if they never knew about any War out West, but I'd also love if they use the voice acting and the Protag's position as someone who was in the US army back when there was a US of A to its full advantage by having you be able to fool the Brotherhood the first time you meet them by using archaic military slang that they've kept for 200 years. Sure, you don't add steel be with you and all of their new religious horse poo poo, but with the right charisma maybe you can walk away with them thinking you're an initiate that got lost and basically be able to steal some armor early game ala Fallout 2. Or maybe just have a moment where John Fallout is just staring in disbelief as the soldiers you thought you were meeting were degenerated Neo Medieval morons about to attack because you have a loving lazer musket of all things as illegal "high technology".

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 30, 2015

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Speedball posted:

New Vegas flat out admits that the Brotherhood is obsolete and slowly withering away because they can't bring themselves to admit that their laws have outlived their usefulness. Their resources are drying up, their numbers are falling since they depend on children of members for troops, and even their tech advantage is nearly depleted since they can't come up with anything particularly useful living in a hole for so long. Even when presented with evidence of all this and practically gift wrapped new tech, they can't bring themselves to adapt at all. Only the DC branch is thriving because they threw out the old rulebook and became something helpful instead.

Having them finally become full on villains would be a logical step as the world leaves them further and further behind.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Death to The Brotherhood.

Wonder what rating this game will get on the major games review sites.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wait, this video features a bunch of ugly, dumpy primitives sitting in a dark, depressing dive. I thought this game was set in an alternate future, and not present day Boston?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also Charisma will continue to be my dump stat.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

GyverMac posted:

That's why the trailers mostly show you running around in your Vault long johns and dressing up like Five Nights at Fallouts. They can probably figure out a way to limit your use of Space Marine Mode.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if I can fly around in an airship and jetpack down in my power armor and flame throw fools and then jet pack back up to my airship and move around like a raiding techno-viking then game of the decade imo

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Nasgate posted:

Personally i'm pumped because i like lazers and brotherhood power armor. And the easiest way to get that is by killing Brotherhood idiots. This was the worst part of FO3, because it wasn't until late-game you would have easy access to energy weapons from dead Enclave soldiers.
Just run Operation Anchorage. Power armor way earlier than the main plot gives you (as well as it being the best in the game), gauss rifle, and at least one of the Outcast idiots has a gatling laser you can pick up after they wipe each other out. Or run Mothership Zeta and get a sweet plasma pistol out of the waste disposal area, as well as all the alien tech.

As for why they were showing you sometimes shooting at Brotherhood, did you forget you can also be the bad guy?

sector_corrector posted:

Wait, this video features a bunch of ugly, dumpy primitives sitting in a dark, depressing dive. I thought this game was set in an alternate future, and not present day Boston?

:iceburn:

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
If some of the features suck, they will get modded to poo poo in a few months so I don't think its really anything to worry about. New power armor mechanics obtrusive and weird? Someone will most certainly slap in normal space marine stuff real quick.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MariusLecter posted:

Death to The Brotherhood.

Wonder what rating this game will get on the major games review sites.

No idea, but whatever Obsidian works on if they get another shot at the property won't get higher than an 84.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

if I can fly around in an airship and jetpack down in my power armor and flame throw fools and then jet pack back up to my airship and move around like a raiding techno-viking then game of the decade imo

I do actually think open-world games work a lot better when Devs actually think about the conceit that the player character is able to move about the world and solve problems nobody else can by giving them a big mcguffin that does that.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone made a mod to make the Power Armor in NV/FO3 like FO4's?

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Anita Dickinme posted:

There are power armor upgrade mods for NV that involve alternate vision modes in the helmet, power sources, upgrades, and a general increase in tankiness. They do the best they can with the scripting system, but they're just hacky addons, they don't make the suit into a world object that you walk up to and Tony Stark into like the FO4 video showed.

Edit: Here is the mod I was thinking of.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

GyverMac posted:

That sounds terrible and would actually take away the whole freedom aspect of the game.

I mean even if the power armor makes you literally immortal and you start with it, nothing really forces you to use it.

Anita Dickinme posted:

Powered Power Armor adds some extras and changes how power armor works, I think that's the closest thing to a mod like that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I will be extremely disappointed if the power armor is some super situational use only or 'on rails' only thing.

I'm pretty sure Bethesda won't do that. Finding a shithouse power armor and finding upgrades for it throughout the game slash improving it with a skill/perk does seem like something they would do, though. I'm fine with that.

What they should do instead is make not every situation optimally solved through brute force violence if they are worried about people using power armor nonstop. Some sort of fuel that can be harvested/farmed at your settlement would be fine, too, as long as it isn't some finite resource that allows for only 30 minutes of power armor use per game total or something dumb like that.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Bholder posted:

That sounds terrible and would actually take away the whole freedom aspect of the game.

I mean even if the power armor makes you literally immortal and you start with it, nothing really forces you to use it.

I seriously wish that I'd had badass power armor in FO3 around the time I got to the 20s and the wasteland was filled with ghoul reavers and giant albino radscorpions. gently caress, those things were immense pains in the rear end to deal with. If FO4 has enemies on par with the broken steel stuff, I'll say that the power armor is pretty much necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Valatar posted:

I seriously wish that I'd had badass power armor in FO3 around the time I got to the 20s and the wasteland was filled with ghoul reavers and giant albino radscorpions. gently caress, those things were immense pains in the rear end to deal with. If FO4 has enemies on par with the broken steel stuff, I'll say that the power armor is pretty much necessary.

Those creatures were a lovely attempt to bump up the difficulty by making them impervious bullet sponges. In most cases I just got sick of that poo poo and used the console kill command to get rid of them.

Re: power armour. It looks like you get it fairly early on and thw garage you can use as a base is located close to Vault 111 but there is some sort of power source you need to find and use so you can't just put on the armour and tear poo poo up. It also looks like they added in locational damage so parts can be broken or blown off so youre not totally invincible any more.

• Locked thread