Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

GORDON posted:

As rudely as this point is made, it is pretty much correct. Until something about the cost of college changes, programs in the humanities should be considered "for the pre-existing wealthy only." If you aren't already well off, you're going to need a degree that pays in order to cover the college debt you accrue... and everyone already knows that probably isn't going to happen with a degree in basket weaving. Therefore, we mock these people who make bad decisions and later act like victims.

Yeah, victims of their own stupidity.

on the other hand, the stem degree is only really delaying the inevitable. the middle class will continue to shrink as more and more stem jobs are made redundant from automation and shifting priorities. the inherent wealth disparity will only grow and become more entrenched as power is further concentrated in the hands of the rich. and then the rich will die off when society crumbles from the ecological collapse that renders their status and monetary worth useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Met this guy at school yesterday and rustled his jimmies when I mentioned that a psych degree has no job prospects. I guess the truth hurts.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Longshot007 posted:

Met this guy at school yesterday and rustled his jimmies when I mentioned that a psych degree has no job prospects. I guess the truth hurts.

I guess this is only a big deal in america, because in australia you pay $20k for your degree so you can just get one in whatever the gently caress you like even if it doesn't directly correlate to employment. And you never have to pay if you don't find a decnet job anyway lmao. Win-win!!!

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor

Digiwizzard posted:

on the other hand, the stem degree is only really delaying the inevitable. the middle class will continue to shrink as more and more stem jobs are made redundant from automation and shifting priorities. the inherent wealth disparity will only grow and become more entrenched as power is further concentrated in the hands of the rich. and then the rich will die off when society crumbles from the ecological collapse that renders their status and monetary worth useless.

Well good luck surviving the resulting sandblasted nuclear hellscape with your gender studies degree, I guess?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lunixnerd posted:

Well good luck surviving the resulting sandblasted nuclear hellscape with your gender studies degree, I guess?

oh what an oppratunity that would be! assuming human civilization doesnt die off forever, a first hand account of living through a nuclear war is exactly the kind of document that survives in the historical record for centuries/millennia

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

TEAYCHES posted:

because a society of stem majors would be even more insufferable op

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
Something I never learned until I was an adult:

Many college degrees can be earned with almost no effort just by showing up to a majority of the classes, and many good paying jobs just want somebody with any bachelor's degree (this is to weed out the poors and others without a support structure and/or competent parents)

A humanities (or whatever fake bullshit) degree is great if all you want is some mid-level office job or some steady government job that pays enough for you to live decently and you don't actually care about learning how to do something useful. It's a lot better than nothing and requires like no real work at all.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

THE PWNER posted:

I guess this is only a big deal in america, because in australia you pay $20k for your degree so you can just get one in whatever the gently caress you like even if it doesn't directly correlate to employment. And you never have to pay if you don't find a decnet job anyway lmao. Win-win!!!

:australia::australia::australia:

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
"They should've sent a poet. But they didn't, because poets don't know how to fly spaceships. lol suck it lolberal arts failfags!"

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost

Mad Monk posted:

Oh the humanities!

Pretty much this. Yeah, this is another thread where everyone pretends not to understand how other people could make reasonable decisions that are somehow different from their own.

But making a living means doing something that other people will pay for. And while people are bad at considering others' needs, Humanities' usual talking points about value are unconvincing in that very special way that a thing can be unconvincing when it is high-handed and also wrong.

Consider this:

quote:

STEM disciplines can make a bridge stand up, but the humanities tell us why it exists.

That's not really Humanities. That's more like urban planning.

So yeah. I make a good living with an advanced degree in the Humanities because I write books that people will pay to read, teach people well enough that they'll pay me to learn, and produce plays that people will pay to see. That's a lot of work, but so is running a business or designing a jet engine. And it only works because I don't think (or act like) my education appoints me as some kind of arbiter of how people ought to live.

Brainworm fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 30, 2015

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

THE PWNER posted:

Im so loving excited to gently caress ethnics

"ethnic" does not mean "non-white person"

there is no such thing as a non-ethnic person

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ork of Fiction posted:

Because you can't get a job w/ just a Bachelor's degree?

yeah you let your employer know youre bringing a lot to the table when you show him your masters or god forbid your phd in humanities

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Brainworm posted:

Pretty much this. Yeah, this is another thread where everyone pretends not to understand how other people could make reasonable decisions that are somehow different from their own.

But making a living means doing something that other people will pay for. And while people are bad at considering others' needs, Humanities' usual talking points about value are unconvincing in that very special way that a thing can be unconvincing when it is high-handed and also wrong.

Consider this:

That's not really Humanities. That's more like urban planning.

So yeah. I make a good living with an advanced degree in the Humanities because I write books that people will pay to read, teach people well enough that they'll pay me to learn, and produce plays that people will pay to see. That's a lot of work, but so is running a business or designing a jet engine. And it only works because I don't think (or act like) my education appoints me as some kind of arbiter of how people ought to live.

uh oh, here comes Daddy Professor to set us straight! have you ever made a post that isn't about your job?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
tbh lol if you work for someone else regardless of what monkey poo poo you do for them

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost

Horniest Manticore posted:

uh oh, here comes Daddy Professor to set us straight! have you ever made a post that isn't about your job?

Some of them are about my divorce.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

I dunno, you ever made a post that wasn't bad?

maybe if you'd studied humanities you'd be a better poster :smug:

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Brainworm posted:

Some of them are about my divorce.

goondolences

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I dunno, you ever made a post that wasn't bad?

maybe if you'd studied humanities you'd be a better poster :smug:

you're right. i wonder, do they have anime studies degrees anywhere?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

you're right. i wonder, do they have anime studies degrees anywhere?

http://www.geidai.ac.jp/english/film/animation

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
college is a shell game to distract you from the oncoming collapse

study this for some real loving long term life skills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8hikXXRnzc

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Protagonist posted:

college is a shell game to distract you from the oncoming collapse

study this for some real loving long term life skills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8hikXXRnzc

lol you think after the apocalypse your just going to be able to go to the store an buy gunpowder and primers? this is the tutorial you really need:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wW5KR1pDxs

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

same

Master J Plus
Apr 20, 2010

by Hand Knit
“Books are fatal: they are the curse of the human race. Nine-tenths of existing books are nonsense, and the clever books are the refutation of that nonsense. The greatest misfortune that ever befell man was the invention of printing.” — Benjamin Disraeli

“The multitude of books is making us ignorant.” — Voltaire

“We live in an age that reads too much to be wise.” — Oscar Wilde

“The multitude of books is a great evil. There is no measure or limit to this fever of writing; everyone must be an author, some for some kind of vanity to acquire celebrity and raise a name, others for the sake of lucre or gain.” — Martin Luther

“There are times when I think that the reading I have done in the past has had no effect except to cloud my mind and make me indecisive.” — Robertson Davies

“The road to ignorance is paved with good editions.” — Bernard Shaw

completely stolen from a Futility Closet post. Schools are places of learning no more! They are industries now like oil, wood and feminism.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Rutibex posted:

lol you think after the apocalypse your just going to be able to go to the store an buy gunpowder and primers? this is the tutorial you really need:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wW5KR1pDxs

i wasn't going to inundate people with a bunch of loving real life skills that you need to know how to make that poo poo from scratch is loving implicit

seriously though when centralized ag and food trucking collapses and fema national guard aid proves to be completely inadequate there is only one good reliable food source left

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The Protagonist posted:

seriously though when centralized ag and food trucking collapses and fema national guard aid proves to be completely inadequate there is only one good reliable food source left

cum

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

cum for some, savory human flesh for others

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
if you don't see it op, try some glasses!!

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back

prick with tenure posted:

Most decent schools won't make you pay for grad school in the humanities - don't go if they do. Fellowships cover your first year and teaching positions after that. I went to grad school for 7 years last decade and came out with no debt, in fact a little savings. It takes some luck to get a tenure track job afterwards, though, yeah. I have tenure at a cc and make very good money with good benefits and only work seven months a year, usually four day work week too. It's not glamorous but it's a fun job and plenty of people land these jobs every year with their humanities degrees from good schools if they didn't gently caress around when they were there.

lmao my housemate has like 111k and growing of debt for a masters in clinical psych and dropping out of a phd program. she's been unemployed for six months and lives at home (her mom rents me a room).

Sheep-Goats posted:

95% of the people who study psych in any form, both under a legitimate allopathic medical structure or an uniformed literature based wishful thinking structure, are irretrievably broken mental cases.

she hoards food in the fridge/freezer and in her abundant fat cells, hoards empty food containers, afraid to commit to any guys she dates but wants a family (she's already 33), can't function without her add medication and usually doesn't take it, doesn't understand why I think she's an inconsiderate monster for eating my food.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

lite frisk posted:

Except that none of this happens in the actual classroom or in your "independent reading". Maybe in the pub afterwards if you're good at making friends.

You don't deal with "big questions." Postgrad work in humanities usually involves "researching" the most inane useless poo poo ever. Academia has been stuck in postmodern limbo since Nietzsche caught traction. Chances are, the whole field of "Literature and Letters" will self-implode and the sooner the better.

edit: :airquote:

Maybe if you go to scrub college :shrug:

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Fonzarelli posted:

get a businessman degree, its what i did and i'm starting to make real cash and i don't give a gently caress about anything at all in the world or have any real passion, so cash is really making me feel good about myself

That's tragic I'm sorry

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

synftw posted:

We get it. You didn't major in economics.

Nigga are you dumb

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bill O'reilly has two Master's degrees.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

humanities major ^^^^^^

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Maybe if you go to scrub college :shrug:

Refer to the post where I basically say this exact thing. Nobody needs or wants the 457th commentary on Aquinas's Summa a1 80 and its uncanny intersection with gender performativity on the Elizabethan stage's interpretations of morality plays and how this is somehow super insightful for conceptualising my poststructural farts, but chances are this is exactly what you'll be doing if you postgrad anywhere but the top schools. Jfc just writing that gave me a headache.

Even then, you can find more than plenty of this garbage published by Oxford dudes. The only difference is that they get to set the zeitgest for what bullshit scholastic squabble is IN and you don't.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Sorry you couldn't get into grad school, OP.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Have you seen the poo poo STEM types call writing? Because let me tell you if I was hiring someone to write a lot of reports it wouldn't be them.

Also Americans ITT see no value in having a broadly educated society outside of what rich businessmen need to grow their companies makes money, to nobody's surprise. Sure, be realistic on a personal level if there's debt in the question. But don't write off whole fields as worthless, then go back to wondering why your politics are a national embarrassment. (Who would ever study how people have behaved for centuries? How could that ever effect anything?)

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Strategic Tea posted:

Have you seen the poo poo STEM types call writing? Because let me tell you if I was hiring someone to write a lot of reports it wouldn't be them.

Also Americans ITT see no value in having a broadly educated society outside of what rich businessmen need to grow their companies makes money, to nobody's surprise. Sure, be realistic on a personal level if there's debt in the question. But don't write off whole fields as worthless, then go back to wondering why your politics are a national embarrassment. (Who would ever study how people have behaved for centuries? How could that ever effect anything?)

yep :smith:

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013

Strategic Tea posted:

All of what you said is actually true and and very important. Too bad humanities departments teach none of those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

lite frisk posted:

All of what you said is actually true and and very important. Too bad humanities departments teach none of those things.

Mine did :shrug: Perhaps it's a lot easier to get through a hums degree without actually learning anything than a STEM one?

Also OP does your title mean you totally get why someone would do a bachelor's, but not anything beyond?

Does this apply by any chance:

remigious posted:

Sorry you couldn't get into grad school, OP.

• Locked thread