Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

"drop gobbos hope to win" is goblins in a nutshell, unfortunately. Krenko/Purph goblin decks are pretty representative of the archetype as a whole, and Norin is the only other real option for decks that include that without being only that.

You could always play a Boros general like Aurelia, which is a different approach to the same concept, just make it tribal goblins for most of its offense. Or RG Wort, focusing more on goblin producing spells like Mogg Infestation and supporting it with the rest of the tribal theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Shovelmint posted:

I don't play EDH. I'm a limited spike. I want to build an extremely aggressive fun-killing deck to stomp on people in 1v1 who are trying to do Timmy/Johnny EDH things when they beg me to play. I was thinking maybe Isamaru? or Zurgo Bellstriker? A friend of mine has a Purphoros deck that I like, but I don't want to go down the same road. Basically, I want to be able to finish very fast without doing anything ridiculously overcomplicated. I also don't want to spend a lot. I've got an absolute ton of trade fodder, and have basically everything since innistrad block, including one of each of the 2013 and 2014 commander decks. Any decent lists to start with? I'm not playing French rules or anything, but I'm not really interested in playing multiplayer games.

Toshimo posted:

Get the gently caress out.
This.

I guess you could play Maralen ANT or Scion hermit druid combo, or some similarly resilient combo deck. It doesn't really matter how many opponents you have with those decks but having only one opponent to try and disrupt you can only make them better. Edric is banned in French and probably works for what you want, play dudes and smash, draw cards and then take all the extra turns.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Shovelmint posted:

I don't play EDH. I'm a limited spike. I want to build an extremely aggressive fun-killing deck to stomp on people in 1v1 who are trying to do Timmy/Johnny EDH things when they beg me to play. I was thinking maybe Isamaru? or Zurgo Bellstriker? A friend of mine has a Purphoros deck that I like, but I don't want to go down the same road. Basically, I want to be able to finish very fast without doing anything ridiculously overcomplicated. I also don't want to spend a lot. I've got an absolute ton of trade fodder, and have basically everything since innistrad block, including one of each of the 2013 and 2014 commander decks. Any decent lists to start with? I'm not playing French rules or anything, but I'm not really interested in playing multiplayer games.

Get a life dude, don't buy cards to play games you don't like just to make the people that do like them less happy in your eyes.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

hoobajoo posted:

Get a life dude, don't buy cards to play games you don't like just to make the people that do like them less happy in your eyes.

Isn't that the point of EDH?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Isn't that the point of EDH?

The point is to PRETEND you're not doing that, when in fact you totally are. :smug:

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I don't want a deck that combos out, I just want a deck that punishes my opponents for doing durdly poo poo. I enjoy mono-red aggro in standard because of the fear in my opponents eyes when they know they're dead but have to wait a turn or two to find out for sure. That's what I'm looking for. I want my opponents to have a chance to do their things, but probably not get them. I don't want to completely ruin someones fun, I just want them dead before they can do their stupid Villanous Wealth/Genesis Wave for x=10000 or infinitely recur extra turns or build their perfect voltron or whatever. That's why I'm not interested in a lockdown v-click or Edric deck where I'm drawing lots of cards and stopping everything they do, I want a terrifying burst of aggression.

quote:

Losing to an aggro deck beats sitting around doing nothing waiting for the next draft round to fire, I'm not looking to make them unhappy, just looking to make them less happy than they would be if they did their deck's thing.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Shovelmint posted:

I don't want a deck that combos out, I just want a deck that punishes my opponents for doing durdly poo poo. I enjoy mono-red aggro in standard because of the fear in my opponents eyes when they know they're dead but have to wait a turn or two to find out for sure. That's what I'm looking for. I want my opponents to have a chance to do their things, but probably not get them. I don't want to completely ruin someones fun, I just want them dead before they can do their stupid Villanous Wealth/Genesis Wave for x=10000 or infinitely recur extra turns or build their perfect voltron or whatever. That's why I'm not interested in a lockdown v-click or Edric deck where I'm drawing lots of cards and stopping everything they do, I want a terrifying burst of aggression.

Losing to an aggro deck beats sitting around doing nothing waiting for the next draft round to fire, I'm not looking to make them unhappy, just looking to make them less happy than they would be if they did their deck's thing.

I'd just say build Isamaru with a bunch of nice equipment, that deck is really quick to start up and closes games out pretty quickly.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

TheTofuShop posted:

I'd just say build Isamaru with a bunch of nice equipment, that deck is really quick to start up and closes games out pretty quickly.

Got a list anywhere? I was busy pretending I wasn't a horrible nerd when Kamigawa came out... my knowledge of the cards between Alliances and Innistrad is spotty at best, unless it's seen play at GPs/SCG opens.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
You want to gently caress with combo decks with something that looks innocent? Run Mono-R Zo-Zu or Daretti deck with all the ridiculous red/colorless bottlenecking cards:
Stranglehold
War's Toll
Blood Moon
Magus of the Moon
Uba Mask

Edit: Also. Kytheon is probably a better commander than Isamaru at this point.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 30, 2015

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
If you want to stop oppressive poo poo without being oppressive yourself, you can always try stuff like soft land destruction (Keldon Firebombers, Global Ruin, Ruin, From the Ashes all come to mind), stuff that prevents people from searching their libraries for combo pieces (Mindlock Orb, Stranglehold, Widespread Panic), etc.

If anything, you may want to consider something like Zurgo Bellstriker EDH, as he fits the colors for many of those spells and can also act as an aggressive, cheap, Voltron-based commander. Plus, Dash gives him some unique options against sorcery-speed board wipes that are common to EDH.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 30, 2015

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I forget, what is the rule for colorless commanders and cards?

Can I play Sire of Stagnation in a Yeva EDH deck with a bunch of cards that say "Add one mana of any color to your mana pool"?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

no, color identity is based off of mana symbols as well

sire of stagnation still has a UB color identity

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

hoobajoo posted:

As a Commander they're universally bad, but they can be good otherwise.

Incorrect, I just finished a sweet deck with Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger as the commander. there are enough good nonbasics now that I don't have to run the lovely ones. In fact, my manabase is really loving good because I get to run every land and artifact that taps for more than 1 mana and have a deck full of utility lands without worrying about color issues. I tried to not just make it an artifactcentric Forgemaster/Metalworker/Blightsteel Colossus thing, but to add a bunch of big-rear end Eldrazi.
Yes I totally scoop to Wave of Vitriol/Ruination and repeated artifact destruction, but you can't win them all and luckily my local meta is pretty devoid (pun intended) of those.

Here's the deck, if you don't know what these cards do look them up:

Ulamog the Ceaseless Hunger

Lands:
Haunted Fengraf
Darksteel Citadel
Zoetic Cavern
Tectonic Edge
Phyrexia's Core
Crystal Vein
Spawning Bed
Ghost Quarter
Urza's Factory
Mage-Ring Network
Reliquary tower
Rogue's Passage
Strip Mine
Buried Ruin
Arcane Lighthouse
Eldrazi Temple
Tomb of the Spirit Dragon
Foundry of the Consuls
Scorched Ruins
Eye of Ugin
High Market
Miren, The Moaning Well
Shrine of the Forsaken Gods
Blinkmoth Well
Ancient Tomb
Towr of the Magistrate
Gargoyle Castle
Winding Canyons
Sanctum of Ugin
Springjack Pasture
Mishra's Factory
Thespian's Stage
Wasteland (gold-bordered gently caress yeah)
Blinkmoth Nexus
Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
Petrified Field
Temple of the False God
Homeward Path
Mutavault
Mystifying Maze

Creatures:
Platinum Emperion
Kozilek Butcher of Truth
Soul of New Phyrexia
Void Winnower
Oblivion Sower
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
Bane of Bala Ged
Breaker of Armies
Kozilek's Channeler
Blight Herder
Conduit of Ruin
Deal Broker
Hangarback Walker
Silent Arbiter
Phyrexian Revoker
Palladium Myr
Kozilek's Channeler
Plague Myr
Walking Atlas

Planeswalkers:
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
Karn Liberated

Artifacts:

mox Opal
Scuplting Steel
Doubling Cube
Coalition Relic
Basalt monolith
Mana Vault
Sol Ring
Thran Dynamo
Dreamstone Hedron
Everflowing Chalice
Hedron Archive
mind Stone
Worn Powerstone
Guardian Idol
Unstable Obelisk
Voltaic key

Lightning Greaves
Skullclamp
Phyrexian Furnace
Relic of Progenitus
Expedition Map
Avarice Totem
Staff of Domination
Erratic Portal
Oblivion Stone
Perilous Vault
Pithing Needle
Torpor Orb
Spine of Ish Sah
Crucible of Worlds
Mind's Eye
Phyrexian Processor
Staff of Nin
Trading Post
Mimic Vat
My First Tome (lol)

Instant/Sorcery:
All is Dust
Titan's Presence

I've only gotten to play a couple of games so far, against a very strong Titania deck, but the deck performed well and most importantly had fun games with a lot of interesting decisions to make

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lets Pickle posted:

My First Tome (lol)

I've always been morbidly interested in trying to play EDH with a lot of Un-set cards, but I have yet to find other people who have any who'd be interested.

Your list looks good for what it is, I'd feel kind of bad if you had to deal with a bunch of artifact destruction though.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The Shortest Path posted:

I've always been morbidly interested in trying to play EDH with a lot of Un-set cards, but I have yet to find other people who have any who'd be interested.

Just for funsies, if un-sets were allowed on Commander, what cards would be played?

When Zendikar first came out, I wanted to make a deck with tons of Landfall cards, and four each of Gerrymandering and Landfill. That might actually have worked.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Your list looks good for what it is, I'd feel kind of bad if you had to deal with a bunch of artifact destruction though.

Don't worry, I don't.

I was considering playing Urza's Hot Tub, since "of" and "the" show up in a lot of card names, but using those words seems kind of cheesy to me.
Giant Fan rules.
Gleemax seems like a funny card to cheat into play or cast if you make infinite mana.
Bronze Calendar is great, and Ladies' Knight does the same thing at a slightly different cost...
Charm School would probably see play
Common Courtesy is amazing, especially against people getting salty
Look at Me, I'm the DCI is kind of a dick move against Commanders
Framed! untaps all of your lands for 2 mana.
Mother of Goons is way too fun not to play
City of rear end is pretty loving strong
Booster Tutor is pretty fun, you can even bring your own packs.
Mana Screw doesn't go infinite with Krak's Thumb, but it 's pretty strong
Symbol Status seems like a good way to make a dozen 1/1s for 4 mana
"Ach! Hans, run!," besides being annoying as gently caress and showing up in my magic workstation decks by accident, seems pretty good in commander.
Mox Lotus, of course
Rare-B-Gone seems pretty OP in commander, although if it doesnt count mythics than maybe not.
Staying Power probably breaks the game super hard

I've seen someone play a Richard Garfield, PhD commander deck. It's super broken.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Gynovore posted:

Just for funsies, if un-sets were allowed on Commander, what cards would be played?

Twoish years ago, the manager of my LGS had a nearly all-foiled out B/W lifeloss/lifegain/Orzhov Goodstuff/Angels/Iforget GhostDad deck. He had a copy of Super Secret Tech. We allowed it.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

My kitchen table group allows the light use of unglued cards as long as they add some falvor/style to the deck. Goblin Tutor has been amazing in mono-R.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Without mana burn, City of rear end is a pain-free rainbow land. Have two? Get three mana! Ach, Hans, Run! would fetch Emrakul, of course. And, if you cast Silence followed by Staying Power, you pretty much win.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

The only Silver-bordered card I currently play is Mishra's Toy Workshop, and that's as a proxy for Mishra's Workshop. (The old $50 proxy.)

Friend of mine, an L2 judge, has a christmas EDH deck, with all snow lands (of course, it's christmas!) and runs all the holidays cards, but I'm pretty sure there's other silver-border cards in there too.

Ambiguity would totally make it into most Marchesa decks.
Stop That would be a viable targeted discard spell.
Clambassadors would go right in Zedruu

The beginning of the next game with that player cards would see play I think.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Gynovore posted:

I have a friend who built a Frankie Peanuts almost-kinda-Elephant-tribal deck with Frankie as his only Un-card.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Shovelmint, if you want a fast beatdown deck, I have a Shu Yun deck that uses Auras to voltron him up.

You can go with him, and just with super cheap cantrips to activate prowess and doublestrike and you can crush face fairly quickly.

Here's the Command Zone podcast I was on, discussing (not updated for new cards but a good base):

http://www.rocketjump.com/listen/commander-mtgo-shu-yun-silent-tempest

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:eyepop:

E: This was a response to surprisingly not terrible discussion on MTGS of all places about starting a variant format like Duel Commander for multiplayer, or something.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 2, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

:eyepop:

E: This was a response to surprisingly not terrible discussion on MTGS of all places about starting a variant format like Duel Commander for multiplayer, or something.

He has a few decent points, like the ridiculous task of balancing mutliplayer magic.

But it's wrapped up in so much butthurt that I kinda want to help sort out bans just to spite him.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
They did ok with conspiracy, and that was by a first time lead designer.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

En Fuego posted:

Shovelmint, if you want a fast beatdown deck, I have a Shu Yun deck that uses Auras to voltron him up.

You can go with him, and just with super cheap cantrips to activate prowess and doublestrike and you can crush face fairly quickly.

Here's the Command Zone podcast I was on, discussing (not updated for new cards but a good base):

http://www.rocketjump.com/listen/commander-mtgo-shu-yun-silent-tempest

Thanks a lot. That's a decent starting point, though the mana base looks like it needs some work :v: Looks like I could build it right now for $117.50, but I can probably trade into a decent amount of those cards if I can find someone with an EDH binder. A lot of those cards seem like ones I might be interested in anyway if I were planning on exploring the format more, like Teferi, Phyrexian Metamorph, Time Spiral and Kor Spirit Dancer. I've already got most of the mana base I'd want, short of the appropriate ABU duals and Zendikar fetches (though I do have a marsh flats) so that wouldn't add too much. I might start working on it.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Shovelmint posted:

Thanks a lot. That's a decent starting point, though the mana base looks like it needs some work :v: Looks like I could build it right now for $117.50, but I can probably trade into a decent amount of those cards if I can find someone with an EDH binder. A lot of those cards seem like ones I might be interested in anyway if I were planning on exploring the format more, like Teferi, Phyrexian Metamorph, Time Spiral and Kor Spirit Dancer. I've already got most of the mana base I'd want, short of the appropriate ABU duals and Zendikar fetches (though I do have a marsh flats) so that wouldn't add too much. I might start working on it.

Yeah, the land base is how you want to make of it. The only reason why Opal Palace is in there as a stand out is because it's great in this deck cause people will kill Shu Yun a lot.

Time Spiral isn't needed, but I made this on MTGO and I have one there and so I threw it in.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Is Daybreak Ranger Green, or Red Green?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Gensuki posted:

Is Daybreak Ranger Green, or Red Green?

Red/Green. Color identity counts the back of the card. See: Elbrus.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Olothreutes posted:

Red/Green. Color identity counts the back of the card. See: Elbrus.

Alright, cool.

Does it also count tokens? Can I put Rift marked knight in my brimaz deck?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Gensuki posted:

Alright, cool.

Does it also count tokens? Can I put Rift marked knight in my brimaz deck?

You can play the Riftmarked Knight just fine. The token color doesn't impact the color identity of the card, only mana symbols and the color of the card itself matter.

Phyrexian processor can be played in any color deck, the tokens are black but the card is colorless.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Olothreutes posted:

You can play the Riftmarked Knight just fine. The token color doesn't impact the color identity of the card, only mana symbols and the color of the card itself matter.

Phyrexian processor can be played in any color deck, the tokens are black but the card is colorless.

Druidic Satchel: Best land ramp for red decks.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I've been playing my (mostly) mono-black Oona combo deck and between some tweaks with the new Zendikar deck I'm pretty comfortable with it. If I don't get the combo off (pretty much if Rings isn't on the field) I can simply use my massive amount of mana to do things.

Deck: Big Black Deck

This is a more "fair" interactive deck, elfball. If I had tooth and nail I could do some nasty things, but alas. I'll find a spot for it.

Deck: Tribal Elves

I end up with mono-colored decks because mana is always an issue with me. These aren't competitive win-money decks, but any advice on furthering the feel of the decks would be appreciated.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Shovelmint posted:

Got a list anywhere? I was busy pretending I wasn't a horrible nerd when Kamigawa came out... my knowledge of the cards between Alliances and Innistrad is spotty at best, unless it's seen play at GPs/SCG opens.

Or you can play Narset and win before they have a chance to do anything...nothing says "I hate fun" like a Narset Infinite Turns deck...

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm going to make a fun multiplayer deck that has very few cards actually capable of winning the game, and a theme of killing my opponent with their poo poo. I'm torn between using a WUR commander for Scrambleverse and Thieves' Auction, or WUB for Worst Fears.

Anyone have thoughts on what might be better? I'm considering Oloro, Sen Triplets, Zedruu, or Ruhan.

Also, is Enduring Ideal actually fun? I'm trying to picture a game I win with Enduring Ideal, and all I see is Solitary Confinement -> Greater Auramancy -> Honden of Seeing Winds, unless I'm deliberately playing badly. I'll definitely want to play Eternal Dominion.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Chamale posted:

I'm going to make a fun multiplayer deck that has very few cards actually capable of winning the game, and a theme of killing my opponent with their poo poo. I'm torn between using a WUR commander for Scrambleverse and Thieves' Auction, or WUB for Worst Fears.

Anyone have thoughts on what might be better? I'm considering Oloro, Sen Triplets, Zedruu, or Ruhan.

Sen Triplets actually lets you cast your opponents' stuff straight up by itself so it seems like an obvious choice to me.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Sen Triplets actually lets you cast your opponents' stuff straight up by itself so it seems like an obvious choice to me.

The thing that has me against that is the fact that one of my friends already has a Sen Triplets deck, otherwise I think it's the best choice.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

First thing you get with Enduring Ideal is Paradox Haze, so you can immediately grab Solitary+Auramancy in your next upkeeps and then it takes a lot less time to actually end the game.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Those are all pretty garbage choices for Ideal.

Unless you are dead on board, the best target is almost always Dovescape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Chamale posted:

Also, is Enduring Ideal actually fun? I'm trying to picture a game I win with Enduring Ideal, and all I see is Solitary Confinement -> Greater Auramancy -> Honden of Seeing Winds, unless I'm deliberately playing badly. I'll definitely want to play Eternal Dominion.

I ran an Enduring Ideal deck once (not EDH). It's fun, but honestly not practical. For ten mana, there are dozens of spells that bend your opponents over and make them squeal a lot louder.