Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

There are a decent amount of entry-level jobs that require the A+ or getting it X days after hire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Passed Network+ today. Other than the sims (which were the easiest part of the test) I don't think I had one sub-netting question. I did get the fire suppression question someone mentioned earlier, also something about hot and cold aisles.

Onto Sec+ and Project+ to finish my first term at WGU. Hopefully after those I'll never have to take another CompTIA test again.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Sec+ will be easier than Net+ if memory servers. I've taken both and I remember feeling like Net+ was more of a challenge (not that it was one) than Sec+.

No idea about Project+. That sounds awful. :x

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Hi, I'm planning on taking the Security+ exam later this month. I've already read through the book detailed in the op and did all the practice questions in it. The practice questions seem way too easy. Are there any free practice exams/question pools I use to get a better feel for the real thing?

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Sec+ will be easier than Net+ if memory servers. I've taken both and I remember feeling like Net+ was more of a challenge (not that it was one) than Sec+.

No idea about Project+. That sounds awful. :x

One of the guys on WGU posted that Project+ is like playing basketball versus preschoolers, you have to watch where you step but it's really easy to win.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
He's pretty correct on that front if you've worked in IT before. I skimmed the material over a few hours, did the quizzes a few times and passed it without much issue. There are a few tricky questions but it's not a very technical or complex exam.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
anybody here ever used Pulralsight for Net+ studying?

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

Race Realists posted:

anybody here ever used Pulralsight for Net+ studying?

They've got a learning path for Network+ that will be right up your alley: http://blog.pluralsight.com/learning-path-comptia-network-n10-006

I can't comment on Pluralsight for Network+, but I've used it to prepare for Microsoft exams and their material is very high quality. It's definitely worth the money.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Anybody do the aws associate cert? Found a comprehensive udemy course and decided what the hell. I can't take the CCNA security until November because my new employer won't cover it until after 90 days of employment, and I have until next summer to walk through security+ which just sounds extremely dull.

Aws should be a good change of pace but I have no idea if it's worth anything beyond giving me something to do.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
this is how crazy people think

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tech-sanity-check/ciscos-ccie-is-no-longer-the-biggest-cash-cow-of-it-certification/

quote:

Cisco's CCIE is no longer the biggest cash cow of IT certification

Cisco's legendary CCIE is no longer the most valuable certification for IT professionals, according to TechRepublic's 2008 IT Skills and Salary Report. See what certification has replaced it and where the CCIE now stands.
When I was working in IT in the late 1990s, I remember the reverence with which everyone in the industry talked about the Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) certification. At the time, it was the only prominent IT certification that tested practical skills, in addition to the book knowledge that all of the other certs tested.

Wild stories circulated about the CCIE lab exam. I remember hearing about how you had to set up a network for a complex scenario that took you all day, then Cisco experts came in overnight and trashed the network. Then you came in the next day and had to fix everything.

Whether those stories were hyperbole or not, it was well-known that almost no one passed the CCIE lab exam on the first try. And it was expensive — $1,400 to take the lab exam, plus travel costs to get to a CCIE lab location, prep materials, and written exam pre-tests.

However, there was a big payoff at the end if you joined that elite fraternity of about 12,000 worldwide.

The word on the streets at the time was that as soon as you passed your exams you would be bombarded with phone calls from recruiters and Fortune 500 companies tripping over themselves to offer a job with a six-figure salary. That was the perception. The reality was a little more sober, but still very attractive. Many CCIEs were hired directly by Cisco, and others got lucrative gigs as high value consultants.

However, the CCIE is no longer the highest valued certification in IT. In fact, according to our extensive 2008 IT Skills and Salary Report — which TechRepublic produced in partnership with Global Knowledge — the CCIE has actually slipped to fifth.

Three certifications that involve business management in addition to technology have grabbed the top three spots: Project Management Professional (PMP), Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM), and ITIL v2 Foundations. That shouldn't come as much of surprise to anyone who has been in IT over the past decade, as we have seen IT professionals with strong business skills become hot commodities.

The CCIE isn't even the most valuable technical certification any more. That distinction belongs to the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) cert, which was fourth in our survey. Nevertheless, CCIEs are still pulling down good money, with an average salary of $93,500.

How about the world's most popular (and sometimes most infamous) certification — the Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE)? It came in 19th on the list, with an average salary of $71,980. That's not too far off the average of $67,000 for MCSEs when I got an MCSE back in 1999.

Here's a look at the top certs on the list:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is this the 2950 recommended for CCNA practice? http://m.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-Catalyst-WS-C2950-12-fast-ethernet-switch-/191674183545?nav=SEARCH

Am I going to need to pick up a rollover cable to get IOS onto my PC?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Buy a console cable.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I have an ITILv3 foundation cert. So go ahead and start with the $90K jobs anytime now world. In my experience I see it listed everywhere, but few people know what they actually mean or want when they list it and even fewer actually use ITIL or some other framework within their business. Maybe if you were coming in as a consultant to start drafting ITIL guidelines for an org I could see it.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Race Realists posted:

this is how crazy people think
This article is from 2008.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Ozu posted:

This article is from 2008.

My point most certainly still stands

seven years later, who the gently caress is asking for a CCAr?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

Buy a console cable.

Are console cables specifically the DB9-RJ45 ones? I remember I used to plug an RJ cable into the console port of what I thought was a 2600 series. I could be wrong though.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I believe Cisco discontinued that stupid rollover cable nonsense and just went back to standard console cables.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have always heard that the two terms are interchangeable, please clarify.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Console cable is rj45 to serial. It's worth getting a serial to USB cable as well because it's a few bucks and let's you use any modern laptops.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I have an ITILv3 foundation cert. So go ahead and start with the $90K jobs anytime now world.

No, you need the v2 foundation cert for big money. If you want to stick with v3 you need to be an ITIL master.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Can anyone confirm that the 2600 uses a serial console port? It looks like it is an RJ45.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Can anyone confirm that the 2600 uses a serial console port? It looks like it is an RJ45.

I just looked at mine and its RJ45

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks. I should have ordered one sooner, this is going to set me back a while on getting this cert done.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
There were a ton for under $50 on eBay when I bought mine about 6 months ago

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh, yeah. The switch and router are going to come to under $60 together. I'm just not looking forward to waiting a week or two to get them.

Is using GNS3 going to put me at a disadvantage on the test compared to Cisco packet tracer?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 29, 2015

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
My work has offered to pay for some Java certificates, so I'm looking for recommendations for books. The certificates I'm taking are Java SE 8 Programmer II and Java EE 6 Enterprise JavaBeans Developer Certified Expert.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oh, yeah. The switch and router are going to come to under $60 together. I'm just not looking forward to waiting a week or two to get them.

Is using GNS3 going to put me at a disadvantage on the test compared to Cisco packet tracer?

Packet tracer is more than enough for icnd1.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Bigass Moth posted:

Packet tracer is more than enough for icnd1.

PT worked for me for that and icnd2 as well.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I just need to download PacketTracer and get back to studying consistently. I was doing so well on my ICND1 studies, got subnetting down really well, and then stopped once the book started talking about the CLI. No idea why, I've got GNS3 and a few routers on there.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
If you can do subnetting the cli is the least of your worries. Just ? after everything to know your options and it becomes really easy really fast.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Judge Schnoopy posted:

If you can do subnetting the cli is the least of your worries. Just ? after everything to know your options and it becomes really easy really fast.

This is literally how I work most of the time. What was the order for the damned NAT access list again?

#>ip nat ?
<poo poo I wanted to know here>

Obviously you remember them as time goes on, but it's your go to resource. Although the exam will ask you specific command questions so you do need to know them, your friend ? helps you learn them quite nicely.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Ashley Madison did you get your CCNA DC 640-911 yet? I can't remember. I think I am close to wanting to schedule mine. Seems like I said, lot of overlap with regular ICND1 with NX-OS instead, and for that, pretty minor differences.

Practice tests are doing ok, cept for this one ACL question I got, from the look of it the ACL would allow http 80, but block ftp 21 for a specific computer, but EIGRP was involved and since you have the deny any any statement at the end, it would not have really let anything through since you didnt specifically allow "permit eigrp any any" as a statement. Wondering if there is any of that kind of "gotcha" crap on this test.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Not yet. I'm still combing through the Odom textbook I acquired a few weeks ago. I need to spend a lot more time with the practice test environment that came with it. Some of the practice question diagrams are just so unpleasant to look at.

I think I got as much as I could out of the Lammelle book I picked up first, but wasn't feeling comfortable enough to jump into the exam. Once I've mastered the Odom book I think I'll be fine. Actually, I like the Odom book a bit more because topics are split up into smaller pieces. Decent review and practice plans included as well. Definitely makes it easier to target specific weaknesses when reviewing.

ACLs are my sore spot as well. I really hope that we won't run into any simulation-based ACL questions because of the gotchas like "you didn't put [permit ip any any] as the last statement"

Tentatively scheduled for end of October but looks like family engagements are going to force me to push it into November.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I might actually take the test before you then I think I'm going to go for the last week of October.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Without going into too much detail, I failed one of the ccnax sims because of a gotcha involving an acl. They said I needed 3 lines in the acl, I met all criteria in 2. I tested every connection method they specified and was permitted/denied in all the right places.

I either missed allowing the routing protocol (which didn't affect the current environment) or I was expected to put in an explicit deny any any at the end instead of relying on implicit.

I still passed the test but I was loving pissed when the "network security" score came back at 40%.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
How comparable is the CCNA: Security exam to the 2nd part of the CCNA in terms of difficulty?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
So I've been studying for my A+ cert, and I think I'm pretty much ready. Will whatever testing center work or is there anything in particular I should look for or avoid?

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

I might actually take the test before you then I think I'm going to go for the last week of October.

Good stuff :)

I'm tying to be extra careful about passing on the first try. I paid for my exam before the Canadian dollar tanked. The thought of throwing down another $250 USD to rewrite makes me want to weep.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Lilli posted:

So I've been studying for my A+ cert, and I think I'm pretty much ready. Will whatever testing center work or is there anything in particular I should look for or avoid?

They should all be pretty much identical once you actually get in there to take the test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Make sure you go to a reputable one, though. My friend still doesn't have his because years ago the one he paid disappeared overnight, and he hasn't shelled out the $500 again since.

If there's one at a college near you, I'd suggest that one.