Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Tippis posted:

A bit of both. Most maps try to maintain a standard width between the two sections — if you're building your own, just drop down the standard cloverleaf and remove everything except the outer connecting bits.

Once you try to use a prefab, though, the problem is that standard isn't always the standard. Terrain and curvature will cause the two parts to be farther or closer than they “should” be. Curves will also cause road sections to be unevenly matched so you don't get two road ends in the perfect grid position the prefab is built around. You could conceivably fix this by using a bit of dirt road to force an equal sectioning of both directions, but you have to get it exactly right, which isn't easy even with the precision mod Your best bet is usually to just pick one side of one direction that will be your base, clear out room for the intersection, and then shave off some additional room on all but one bit of road that you will stick your prefab onto.

When you drop it in, attach the prefab to that bit of road and right-click-drag to rotate the whole thing into the angle that best matches the parts you shaved off. When it's good enough, you plunk it down and rebuild the missing pieces. In particular, on- and off-ramps will most likely have to be adjusted to fit the actual geometry of surrounding roads.

If you're trying to match two roads at once, it becomes even messier since you have to align more road ends, both when rotating and when finding a good place to put the prefab down. In this case, yes, it is often a lot less work to just align everything by eye and rebuild every connection.

Right click-drag for fine rotating is what I was needing. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Has anybody heard of issue with people getting about .1 fps on the main menu but normal once a game is loaded? I've tried verifying the cache and googling but I haven't been able to turn up anything.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

420 encourage biking errday

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Does “encourage biking” have any downsides?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

You'll get a growing population of righteous bike weenies in spandex. Nothing is worth that.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Tehan posted:

420 encourage biking errday

pokemon red/blue remakes looking good

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Ofaloaf posted:

You'll get a growing population of righteous bike weenies in spandex. Nothing is worth that.

Imagine Mad Max where the cars are bikes, chrome is burlap, shiny is quinoa, and Valhalla is Whole Foods. Instead of guns it's just passive aggression, snide remarks, lovely facial hair, and bad music played on vinyl. The body mods are somewhat the same though.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I used to have a mod where I could just drag over a road to change it's One-Way direction but it seems to have been eaten up by one of the half-loving dozen road mods. Which mod should I be getting for this function?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Edit: NM

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Croccers posted:

I used to have a mod where I could just drag over a road to change it's One-Way direction but it seems to have been eaten up by one of the half-loving dozen road mods. Which mod should I be getting for this function?

It's built in, right click with the upgrade tool. New thread title?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 30, 2015

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Fabulousity posted:

Imagine Mad Max where the cars are bikes, chrome is burlap, shiny is quinoa, and Valhalla is Whole Foods. Instead of guns it's just passive aggression, snide remarks, lovely facial hair, and bad music played on vinyl. The body mods are somewhat the same though.

So... Austin?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Behind the pretty European exterior hides the worst, most fickle traffic system imaginable.

But it's still pretty.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tippis posted:

You don't need anything other than regular roads with sidewalks to have a bike network, but the trick to creating bike traffic that offloads the roads is to have paths that make biking shorter and faster than using those regular roads. Even the bike lane roads don't do this — they may speed up biking slightly, but it's still the same path as taking a car. At most you're increasing the road distance a cim is willing to travel before resorting to a car.

The bike lanes let you create shortcuts that completely bypass the regular roads and drastically reduces distances to the areas the cims want to go to. They make more cims choose bikes and create better access to jobs and recreation on top of creating a good reduction in traffic.

…also, the noise reduction from roads with trees help more with overall happiness and with levelling up residential areas. On the other hand, not having every inch of road lined with parked cars has its aesthetic appeal too. :D

I find declaring large sections of town as Old Town stops people using cars most of the time, and making a network of bike roads makes people bike all over the place.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

OwlFancier posted:

I find declaring large sections of town as Old Town stops people using cars most of the time, and making a network of bike roads makes people bike all over the place.

Oh yeah, that reminds me…

I haven't played around with it, so what traffic does Old Town actually stop? Service vehicles? Public transportation? Delivery trucks? On the face of it, it sounds like it's meant to be a more encompassing Heavy Traffic Ban that causes all kinds of traffic to not use the area as a thoroughfare, but it's not immediately clear to me what actually counts as belonging in the area.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What happens if you put it in effect over the entire city? :v:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The biggest city I've built so far. It's sprawled and not completely designed besides teh highway networks.
The airport is also a bit too small in my opinion, but looks a heck of a lot nicer than the default.

Rail Yard:

College Park:

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 1, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tippis posted:

Oh yeah, that reminds me…

I haven't played around with it, so what traffic does Old Town actually stop? Service vehicles? Public transportation? Delivery trucks? On the face of it, it sounds like it's meant to be a more encompassing Heavy Traffic Ban that causes all kinds of traffic to not use the area as a thoroughfare, but it's not immediately clear to me what actually counts as belonging in the area.

To my knowledge it bans all traffic without a destination in the area.

So, heavy traffic ban still allows LGVs like vans and commuter traffic through the area, whereas Old Town seems to ban anything that doesn't have a direct destination in the area.

It doesn't ban public transport I think.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I seem to have trouble getting cyclists to use dedicated bike paths, although they will take the other kinds of paths as well as roads with bike lines.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Are there any good industrial collections on the workshop? Everyone seems to focus on commercial or residential, and I'd like to have some variety in my industrial too.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

The Deadly Hume posted:

I seem to have trouble getting cyclists to use dedicated bike paths, although they will take the other kinds of paths as well as roads with bike lines.

This game models real life better than I thought!

:downsrim:

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
we need a mod that causes bike lanes to have no real function because delivery vans and other cars park in them

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

The Orange Mage posted:

we need a mod that causes bike lanes to have no real function because delivery vans and other cars park in them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-IMaegzQ
Increases Hospital visits.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
There are no stop lights in this picture.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I honestly thought that first picture was a screenshot from Civ V at first.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Fasdar posted:

There are no stop lights in this picture.

this is permabanned poster hexagonstomper58;

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Orgophlax posted:

Are there any good industrial collections on the workshop? Everyone seems to focus on commercial or residential, and I'd like to have some variety in my industrial too.

I like the U.K. Industrial collection just because it didn't seem realistic to have a shitload of smoke belching factories in my city when most urban industry seems to be packing and shipping.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

BBJoey posted:

this is permabanned poster hexagonstomper58;

i love making GBS threads in hexagonal assholes

Jintor
May 19, 2014

yeah if there's any good asset collections that are updated to work with after dark, that'd be swell. I've seen the ones linked from the permaguide on the steam workshop page, but that's it afaik

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

I think it may have been mentioned at some point in the thread, but hit SHIFT+F12 for extra storage punishing fun. It takes a 4x resolution screenshot.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

How far will cims travel to colleges and such? I've always liked the aesthetics of one large campus for the whole city, but will my cims start complaining if they have to travel across the whole city to attend?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Black Griffon posted:

How far will cims travel to colleges and such? I've always liked the aesthetics of one large campus for the whole city, but will my cims start complaining if they have to travel across the whole city to attend?

From what I understand it's entirely possible to just have one large campus, in my last large city I had a centralized university area hooked into the public transportation network, and it had plenty of attendees.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

My current plan is to only build a university when I have enough of a population base to have 70%+ attendance at 100% funding and then only build one in a transportation nexus, see how it works out.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Doesn't matter what you do, college kids will complain about everything.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

Fish Fry Andy posted:

From what I understand it's entirely possible to just have one large campus, in my last large city I had a centralized university area hooked into the public transportation network, and it had plenty of attendees.

It does seem like cims will travel any distance to get to school, but of course they have a limited "service area" for purposes of building upgrade calculations. A single campus will educate everyone in your city but it's not an efficient way of distributing service coverage in terms of the game mechanics (if you care about that).

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

But if I provide every other type of service (leisure, fire, police, transport, basic education whatevs), that should be enough to max my buildings, right?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Black Griffon posted:

But if I provide every other type of service (leisure, fire, police, transport, basic education whatevs), that should be enough to max my buildings, right?

The way the upgrade system works is a little like this: buildings require a certain threshold of overall service in order to upgrade, let's just say that number is 100. It doesn't actually matter what services they receive, they just need a total of 100 points. Individual services have a cap of, say, 25. Each service building counts for a different amount of points, but no individual service building provides 25 points. So you can just build a bunch of police stations, hospitals, and fire departments, overlapping with other buildings of the same type, and have your buildings upgrade even if they aren't covered by schools. All you need is 100 total service points.

Of course, those aren't the actual numbers, but that's the general gist of how the system works.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Fish Fry Andy posted:

The way the upgrade system works is a little like this: buildings require a certain threshold of overall service in order to upgrade, let's just say that number is 100. It doesn't actually matter what services they receive, they just need a total of 100 points. Individual services have a cap of, say, 25. Each service building counts for a different amount of points, but no individual service building provides 25 points. So you can just build a bunch of police stations, hospitals, and fire departments, overlapping with other buildings of the same type, and have your buildings upgrade even if they aren't covered by schools. All you need is 100 total service points.

Of course, those aren't the actual numbers, but that's the general gist of how the system works.

It's important to note that different zones weight different service types differently, including (as I understand it) capping "points" at different levels. Generally you'll get the best results by providing a mix of services, biased towards the needs of the specific zones you're trying to upgrade.

That being said, I'm sure you can get max-level zones of all types without universities. It's just that piling them all up in one area is potentially a bit wasteful. It's also a bit inefficient in terms of transit, I guess.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Nondescript Van posted:

Doesn't matter what you do, college kids will complain about everything.

very realistic and true to life 10/10

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Personally I'm saddened that I can't play realistic mode and have my infrastructure projects / subway expansions take 8+ years to execute.

Cities: Public Consultation DLC expansion.

or

Cities: "You can't decrease property values! YOU WILL REGRET THIS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I haven't played in ages, do you still need to spam services to get offices to max level? Like, one instance of every service every 4 blocks and parks every block.