Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Btw the new safari popup for links is like the best thing ever your thread viewing doesn't get reset now when you tap a link. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Stoca Zola posted:

I'm currently using 3.6 in landscape mode but the app is displaying as if I am holding the iPad in portrait mode; that is, the bottom is off the screen and there is a vertical bar to the right with nothing in it, although the keyboard is working correctly for landscape. If I unlock rotation and turn the iPad, the top right corner now lines up correctly but the rest of the screen is in landscape layout and falls off the left side of the screen. I was in locked landscape and switched to a browser then back again, and when I got back the awful app had switched to being in portrait. I'm going to close/open the app and I expect this should fix things. Can't tell if this is a known bug or not it's pretty hard to navigate everything while it's stuck like this so apologies if this is a repeat. Thanks for putting a direct link to this thread in the app, I would have had trouble getting here otherwise.
Are you on iOS 9.0.2 yet? They fixed a rotation bug in it that may or may not be this issue (I never saw it personally so I don't know the details).

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just updated and Awful is so smooth in thread view again!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
:swoon:

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Scrolling is pretty smooth now and multitasking is appreciated. Thanks for solid update.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Confirming that scrolling is smooth on iPhone 5.
Good poo poo 👍🏿

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Scrolling the bookmarks is a lot smoother than before. Still not as smooth as scrolling in threads though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Safari View Controller is kind of bumming me out. I don't really like how the done button is at the top right and hides once you scroll. You can't swipe to go back. Plus every YouTube link has a prompt to open the YouTube app which the old page didn't. And apparently devs don't have any control over this stuff, so it's going to be bad in every app. Thanks Apple.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Stoca Zola posted:

I'm currently using 3.6 in landscape mode but the app is displaying as if I am holding the iPad in portrait mode; that is, the bottom is off the screen and there is a vertical bar to the right with nothing in it, although the keyboard is working correctly for landscape. If I unlock rotation and turn the iPad, the top right corner now lines up correctly but the rest of the screen is in landscape layout and falls off the left side of the screen. I was in locked landscape and switched to a browser then back again, and when I got back the awful app had switched to being in portrait. I'm going to close/open the app and I expect this should fix things. Can't tell if this is a known bug or not it's pretty hard to navigate everything while it's stuck like this so apologies if this is a repeat. Thanks for putting a direct link to this thread in the app, I would have had trouble getting here otherwise.

Hmm, I'm not really sure what we might be doing in Awful that makes for such screwy behaviour. That sounds really annoying though! I'll have a think on it and hopefully something comes to mind.

smackfu posted:

Safari View Controller is kind of bumming me out. I don't really like how the done button is at the top right and hides once you scroll. You can't swipe to go back. Plus every YouTube link has a prompt to open the YouTube app which the old page didn't. And apparently devs don't have any control over this stuff, so it's going to be bad in every app. Thanks Apple.

It's not perfect but it's so much better than my home-baked piece of poo poo. And yeah, not a lot of knobs we can twiddle.

I wonder if we can rewrite YouTube URLs to force them to load in the Safari View Controller, like as embeds or something. Doesn't the official Twitter app manage something like this? Anyone know what I"m talking about?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Confirming that scrolling is smooth on iPhone 5.
Good poo poo 👍🏿

Same. Working great now on 9.1.
👉🏿👌🏾

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

If it's the dialog I'm thinking of, that only happens once per app per external app.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This one. I get it every time I follow a YouTube link. If I pick Open to go to the YouTube app, I don't get a "go back to Awful" link or anything, and when I switch back to Awful, it's showing a blank Safari screen.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm thinking that unless we somehow set up a server-side transformation to embed each video in an otherwise blank page, we might want to just always open YouTube links in the app if it's installed. It'd be a quick change.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why would that need to be server-side?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Of course it wouldn't need to be. What the gently caress am I thinking?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The sliding multitasking really makes me want to upgrade my iPad mini so I can enjoy SA in full split screen multitasking.

You're on Timb's payroll, aren't you?? Making me want a completely unnecessary upgrade! :argh:

EDIT: Maybe I'm dumb, but is the Safari container view the same thing as when Awful.app (or whatever...) opens Safari and I have the "Back to Awful" in the top left? I though the container view was literally a contained website I couldn't surf away from but reaped all the benefits of adblocking/script blocking that came with safari?

Durr. Set the default browser from Safari to Awful. :downs:

Wow, container view is sooo much better than switching between Safari and Awful and ending up with a million open tabs in Safari.

EDIT2:

On the topic of the youTube prompt, yeah, I get that now that I switched the default browser.

With the browser set to Awful, Awful.app opens the reader view and then you get a prompt asking if you want to open the link in youtube rather than just switching to youtube.app automatically (like it does when the default browser is set to Safari).

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 5, 2015

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Refreshing the Forums tab looks really weird - stuff looks like it's trying to animate even though nothing has changed. I don't remember it doing this before the Bookmarks layout speed fix.

6/9.0.2/3.7

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I'm hearing a few reports that the crash on reply with third party keyboard bug isn't fixed completely. I really couldn't reproduce it before but I'll try again. Anybody who's seeing it, does it happen on a fresh start of the app?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

carry on then posted:

I'm hearing a few reports that the crash on reply with third party keyboard bug isn't fixed completely. I really couldn't reproduce it before but I'll try again. Anybody who's seeing it, does it happen on a fresh start of the app?

It appears less frequently now, only twice since updating. Will test more

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm finding that when switching back to fullscreen from splitscreen (Awful was fullscreen, then I slid in Twitter on the right, then slid Twitter out) that the thread title in the top blue bar disappears.

(iPad Mini 4, iOS 9.0.2)

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

More info on oddities when selecting text:

• Open an external site in the app (e.g. http://www.example.com), open the Share sheet, then close the Share sheet and the Safari view. Now the next time you select text, the "Copy / Define / Select All / Share..." popover menu will not appear, even if you drag the selection bounds around a bit more or scroll the view. The menu will tease an appearance when you dismiss the selection but (as far as I can tell) is not interactive for the brief flash while it's visible. The popover menu will appear properly, and can be interacted with, for any further selection you make. This problem also occurs (more reliably?) if you reload a thread or open a thread with new posts.

• Tap + hold on a word to select it. Then tap + hold on a different word that is at least a few lines away from your initial selection. This produces four distinct issues:
1: the magnifying loupe that pops up is the wide rectangular version that is supposed to occur only when dragging selection boundaries, rather than the large circular initial-selection magnifying loupe;
2: the loupe is vertically located to magnify the same line as the previous selection, although its horizontal position is correct (moving your finger even slightly causes the loupe to correct itself);
3: the word you're pressing on doesn't show the tentative selection, nor does the old selection disappear, until you release; and
4: if you release your press as soon as the new selection is triggered, the selection and/or the loupe appears by quickly shifting to the proper location from the previous selection's location, rather than simply appearing the proper location without any movement.

Issue #1 looks like it might be the intended new iOS 9 behavior for non-input text fields since Safari (the full-on app) also shows it. Similarly for issue #2 and #4 although they definitely seem like bugs. Issue #3 appears to be unique to Awful.app.

Issue #2 will actually move the current view to ensure that the old selection is visible, if you had scrolled the old one offscreen before starting a new selection, probably disrupting or ruining that selection attempt.

6+, iOS 9.0.2, Awful v3.7 (App Store version).

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 7, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

carry on then posted:

Replies crashed on both my 5 and 6s every single time with a Swiftkey keyboard installed, even if it wasn't the primary keyboard. Fresh starts made no difference. As soon as I deleted the Swiftkey keyboard replies started working again. Tested it just now.

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot
iPhone 6 Plus user here. iOS 9.

Downloaded the update and I can't post anything without the entire app freezing. The second I hit "preview" after typing a thread, the app freezes.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

i was reloading posted:

iPhone 6 Plus user here. iOS 9.

Downloaded the update and I can't post anything without the entire app freezing. The second I hit "preview" after typing a thread, the app freezes.

Same thing. New threads cause the app to freeze completely.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
Any plans on adding peek and pop/3D Touch functionality on URL links in app?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Pappyland posted:

Any plans on adding peek and pop/3D Touch functionality on URL links in app?

Drastic Actions was/is looking into it. There are more details towards the end of the previous page.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Diabolik900 posted:

Drastic Actions was/is looking into it. There are more details towards the end of the previous page.

It's merged into master, so whenever there is a new build it should be there. Let's you preview threads without affecting view count.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Drastic Actions posted:

It's merged into master, so whenever there is a new build it should be there. Let's you preview threads without affecting view count.
This is going to be amazing. What will a peek action do to last read status? Ideally nothing, but I can see how it would trigger the forums server-side last read logic just from loading.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

SLOSifl posted:

This is going to be amazing. What will a peek action do to last read status? Ideally nothing, but I can see how it would trigger the forums server-side last read logic just from loading.

It does nothing, there's a GET parameter you can include in the URL to skip updating last read.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

There wouldn't happen to be an awful app for the PC would there? I really like using this app.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Invalid Validation posted:

There wouldn't happen to be an awful app for the PC would there? I really like using this app.

There's one in the Windows 10 store..

Drastic Actions posted:

Time to mash F5 in TestFlight. :( Does it also have peek and pop on URLs?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Kazy posted:

There's one in the Windows 10 store..

Time to mash F5 in TestFlight. :( Does it also have peek and pop on URLs?

And it's made by me :cool:

It does not have peek/pop in the web view, because until we can find a way to have it be selective (forum links peek new threads, outside links open outside sites.) it would always link out to the safari web control.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Can I say that the patch notes for 3.7 were disappointing? Only one non snarky bullet? Surely we can be more obnoxious than that.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
So I do a lot of browsing on my phone while not on wifi. For one reason or another this doesn't play nice with pictures - some would load and some wouldn't. It was mostly only noticeable in the really picture heavy threads. That's fine with me for the most part because I used to be able to long-press on the blank square that indicated a missing picture and it would load it in the new view (though it wouldn't show in-thread, even after viewing it manually). That hasn't worked for me anymore since iOS 9. When I long-press now I get what looks like a wide zoom window. Long press on pictures that have been loaded works fine still.

I'm currently on 9.0.2 on an iPhone 6.

fe: of course as soon as I try to get a screenshot of it I manage to get the picture to load like before on the first try. I guess text or images being next to the image I'm aiming for makes it more difficult or something. Something's changed but I'd bet anything that iOS is what's responsible. If there's anything you think you can tweak to make this easier I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise I'm pretty sure I'm just SOL.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Drastic Actions posted:

And it's made by me :cool:

It does not have peek/pop in the web view, because until we can find a way to have it be selective (forum links peek new threads, outside links open outside sites.) it would always link out to the safari web control.

Could you do it per view? Most thread view links would be outside of the forum, and all forum view links would be to threads.

Alternatively, maybe convert intra-forum links to a URI before rendering, though I'm not sure if that is even feasible.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Kazy posted:

Could you do it per view? Most thread view links would be outside of the forum, and all forum view links would be to threads.

Alternatively, maybe convert intra-forum links to a URI before rendering, though I'm not sure if that is even feasible.

The forum thread is in a webview. The webview can have links enabled for 3d touch but those links only open in the Safari Web browser control. As far as I know, there is no way to capture the event of the touch and say "Hey, redirect this peek to this controller". So right now, no matter what, it will always open the web browser control.

As far as I know anyway. I'm not really an iOS developer (if you don't count Xamarin :v:); just someone with an iPhone who wants to contribute :shrug:.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 9, 2015

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I like pumpkin beers

I'm a basic bitch

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Fedule posted:

I'm finding that when switching back to fullscreen from splitscreen (Awful was fullscreen, then I slid in Twitter on the right, then slid Twitter out) that the thread title in the top blue bar disappears.

(iPad Mini 4, iOS 9.0.2)

I've spotted that too a couple times. I'll toss it on the list!

Abjad Soup posted:

More info on oddities when selecting text:

Will take a look at these.

carry on then posted:

Can I say that the patch notes for 3.7 were disappointing? Only one non snarky bullet? Surely we can be more obnoxious than that.

:qq:

Ugato posted:

So I do a lot of browsing on my phone while not on wifi. For one reason or another this doesn't play nice with pictures - some would load and some wouldn't. It was mostly only noticeable in the really picture heavy threads. That's fine with me for the most part because I used to be able to long-press on the blank square that indicated a missing picture and it would load it in the new view (though it wouldn't show in-thread, even after viewing it manually). That hasn't worked for me anymore since iOS 9. When I long-press now I get what looks like a wide zoom window. Long press on pictures that have been loaded works fine still.

I'm currently on 9.0.2 on an iPhone 6.

fe: of course as soon as I try to get a screenshot of it I manage to get the picture to load like before on the first try. I guess text or images being next to the image I'm aiming for makes it more difficult or something. Something's changed but I'd bet anything that iOS is what's responsible. If there's anything you think you can tweak to make this easier I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise I'm pretty sure I'm just SOL.

I'm curious about some images not loading in the thread while you're (presumably) on cell data. Has it always worked that way for you?

Drastic Actions posted:

The forum thread is in a webview. The webview can have links enabled for 3d touch but those links only open in the Safari Web browser control. As far as I know, there is no way to capture the event of the touch and say "Hey, redirect this peek to this controller". So right now, no matter what, it will always open the web browser control.

As far as I know anyway. I'm not really an iOS developer (if you don't count Xamarin :v:); just someone with an iPhone who wants to contribute :shrug:.

Still planning on looking into this, haven't done so yet though.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

pokeyman posted:

I'm curious about some images not loading in the thread while you're (presumably) on cell data. Has it always worked that way for you?

I'm not that poster but i have that happen too. Usually I figure it's imgur being terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

carry on then posted:

Thanks for using Awful! To make our app better for you, we bring updates to the App Store every time a reviewer manages not to stray into FYAD. Every update of our Awful app includes improvements for speed and reliability. As other new features become available, we'll highlight those for you in the app thread.

• Locked thread