Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
So that whole pregnancy thing is over because I'm a dad.

To every other dad to be in here, get ready for the craziest adventure with your SO ever. I've been with my girlfriend for 13 years and we got to know each other more in the past 3 days than in a many of those years. Also, I hope everyone gets an experience as good as we did. The nurses and everything were simply amazing and I am eternally thankful for them and our free health care system here in Quebec Canada.

Here's Charles at less than 1 hour and probably 10 hours or so later.

Now I'm off to bed because sleeping 5 hours in close to 3 days is not enough, but it was worth it to let the mom get some sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Is it okay to ask in this thread for educational resources for expecting fathers? My wife is pregnant and, while I thought it was just reasonable to wait for and follow doctors orders, she seems very stressed that I'm not reading books about pregnancy or anything and I definitely don't want to add to her stress. Reading through the top Google hits and pop science magazines turns up lots of ' facts' about fetal development that seem suspicious to me, as do the random things my coworkers claim when they talk about their reading.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Seashell Salesman posted:

Is it okay to ask in this thread for educational resources for expecting fathers? My wife is pregnant and, while I thought it was just reasonable to wait for and follow doctors orders, she seems very stressed that I'm not reading books about pregnancy or anything and I definitely don't want to add to her stress. Reading through the top Google hits and pop science magazines turns up lots of ' facts' about fetal development that seem suspicious to me, as do the random things my coworkers claim when they talk about their reading.

I picked up 'The Expectant Father' by Armin Brott & Jennifer Ash, got it from the used store at my local library. Just getting in to it this week. My wife also wants us to read sleep strategy stuff, the "after the pregnancy" stuff that we do not expect to have much time for once baby girl is here.

BTW thanks to everyone for the different perspectives about my wife's joint pains. Going to see the rheumatologist on Friday, we do know Lyme is ruled out, and test results look like anemia might be the issue.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Seashell Salesman posted:

I really enjoyed The Expectant Father, and the author runs a website: https://www.mrdad.com with lots of articles.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
In addition to the expectant father, I'm also reading "the birth partner" by penny simkin because hell yeah, why not? It's good.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

SUBFRIES posted:

Hello thread! I have not posted here before, but I am looking for some insight or ideas.

My wife is in week 20, this is our first child, and we're high-risk because of our age (38). Her first trimester there was a lot of nausea and fatigue, but around week 13 or 14 those symptoms eased up. Second trimester has brought new symptoms, mainly joint pain that migrates, and usually comes on in the evening. One night it might be thumbs, the next night a knee, and another night the pain is an arm. My wife has had carpal tunnel syndrome in the past, but it hasn't been an issue in the past several months. No other past history like that though. She spoke with her OB about it, then went to her PCP, and most recently saw a rheumatologist. The PCP ran some tests, results were negative for Lyme, and a few other bloodwork results were just above the acceptable levels. We're waiting to hear back on the more extensive tests the rheumatologist ran.

That all said, my wife is stressing out at times because of all the uncertainties. Is there a possibility the joint pains could be pregnancy-related? Or best to just wait for the results and go from there? Are there specific questions we should be asking any of the doctors she has been dealing with?

A little late, but later in pregnancy a woman's ligaments become "looser" in order to help the pelvic bones separate a bit and make birth a little easier. This can definitely cause some joint pain (though usually I hear of it mostly centered around the pelvic area).

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Any advice for surviving all of the waiting?

My doctor asked me to come in for two blood hcg tests, yesterday and tomorrow, to make sure I don't have an ectopic pregnancy. I'm seriously having a hard time not calling to ask for yesterday's result, even though I know it wouldn't mean much on its own.

And of course the doctor suggesting I'm at risk for an ectopic pregnancy (I had chlamydia at 18) has me all nervous every time I feel anything.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Pregnancy is full of waiting. It is hard. Try to take it one hour at a time, and distract yourself if you can.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

El_Elegante posted:

Congregations!

Keep running, exercise is good and will not harm your pregnancy.

I do know Yoga is strongly advised, as building flexibility and a means to focus can be helpful leading up to birth, including for ligaments. Most good yoga places will accommodate being pregnant, too. This is FYI for Subfries' SO as well.

Edit: I don't want to be alarmist, but aren't there risks/warnings about running while pregnant? Uterus things, bladder impacts, yadda.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 3, 2015

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I did Pilates with an instructor trained in prenatal exercises and it was very helpful.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
I've just found out that I'm probably pregnant (at home test is positive) and of course I still have a bunch of things I need to set up before I get too excited, but does anyone have any good book recommendations? What To Expect was my bible with my first, who's now 10, but frankly I remember being really unhappy with it towards the end and I was hoping there was something better out there. Plus I'm pretty shaken up by the whole thing, and I think having a good resource book to read will help ground me so I can start getting stuff done.

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
Nyerf suggested Expecting Better by Emily Oster, I've read the first third (on the first trimester) so far, but I really like it. It helped me to calm down about all those neurotic things that can freak you out about pregnancy. I am only 10 weeks so I haven't read the 2nd or 3rd trimester parts. I'm waiting to hear the heartbeat again on the 14th, and just don't want to get my hopes up. After reading so many heartbreaking missed miscarriage and other horror stories I am rather scared right now.

I also like to google the pregnancy week by week. The Bump, Bounty, and What to Expect websites have a lot of online resources for free!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Mayo clinic guide to a healthy pregnancy

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
We got this one during our first, it was helpful to relax us a little bit during those crazy times.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

I enjoyed Expecting 411, which is written in a colloquial tone and in the form of Q&As, so it was very easy to digest and fun to read.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Another recommendation for The Expectant Father.

I also recommend the followup The New Father for post pregnancy, I also have to recommend The Happiest Baby On The Block for the concept of the "4th trimester" and the "5 Ss" for dealing with "colicky" babies.

My wife delivered last Thursday and the past week has been the most emotional and rewarding of my 42 years. We went through a mid-wife group for the pregnancy and delivered at the birthing center at a local hospital. Everything occurred in the same room and he didn't leave it until we checked out, As incredible as our mid wife group and birthing center team was for the delivery, we were equally as impressed and grateful for the same staff for the remainder of our three day stay. They encouraged us to take advantage of their experiences (birthing nurses, all but one was a mother) spanning 30 years. We must have interacted with 90% of them. I was most grateful to the youngest of the staff who was not a mother but an amazing breadth of knowledge and experience and ended up being our night nurse every day.

Our home experience has had the expected adjustments that are working out well. As I write this I'm leveling up my "One Armed" skill immensely!

Thank you everyone who has helped me in this thread. One of my bigger takeaways was preparing frozen food for post partum. Coming home on Saturday, that came into play within hours!

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Thanks for the recommendation of The Expectant Father everyone, I ordered a copy last week and it's meant to arrive today. Not sure what the delay was there.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

Thank you all so much! I've flipped through them all and I like Pregnancy 411 the best (at least, the sections I could read on the preview) and I'm going to have my husband read through The Expectant Father's preview to see if he likes it. He's still a little more freaked out than I am.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
So I'm 5.5 weeks along and I've got a big exhausting conference to attend next Saturday-Tuesday. I'm going to be on my feet presenting a poster for 4 hours Saturday evening.

Since morning sickness hasn't started yet, but might start by next week, I'm a bit nervous about how to plan for the conference. It's hard to get food and drink there, so I need to buy stuff this week to bring with me.

Any tips? Should I tell my boss so he has a heads up that I might be a bit under the weather at my poster?

What's the worst-case scenario for spending 4 hours on my feet at 7 weeks?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

You could be one of the lucky few (like my wife) that doesn't have any nausea during early pregnancy. But if you anticipate it coming, the worst that could happen is you have to step away from the poster every so often to use the restroom. If you're handling the booth alone, that could prove problematic. If your boss will be there with you, and you're comfortable with telling him about your pregnancy this early on, go for it. Otherwise, you could claim food poisoning, or something similar, is causing you to use the restroom frequently.

I don't think being on your feet for 4 hours will be much worse than it was pre-pregnancy. At that point, the baby is so small, there's no huge physical difference in your body.

All that being said, I can only speak anecdotally to what my wife told me of her experiences during her pregnancy.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

dopaMEAN posted:

So I'm 5.5 weeks along and I've got a big exhausting conference to attend next Saturday-Tuesday. I'm going to be on my feet presenting a poster for 4 hours Saturday evening.

Since morning sickness hasn't started yet, but might start by next week, I'm a bit nervous about how to plan for the conference. It's hard to get food and drink there, so I need to buy stuff this week to bring with me.

Any tips? Should I tell my boss so he has a heads up that I might be a bit under the weather at my poster?

Hard to predict what your exact symptoms will be (and maybe you will be lucky and it will be a total non-issue!) but definitely pack some snacks like saltines, hard candies (ginger helps with nausea), cookies, etc. and drink lots of water. Nausea's usually worse on an empty stomach so try to keep yourself fed throughout. Hopefully you'll be busy presenting and interacting with people and the time will go by quickly.

Lady Bureaucrazy
Jan 24, 2007

Step 1: Insert speaker into vagina

dopaMEAN posted:

Trader Joe's sells these little tins of ginger mints near the cash register that saved me at the office during my first trimester.

For me, I was fortunate to not get sick until pretty late in the afternoons. The thing that killed me at around 6/7 weeks was the extreme fatigue. Yes, the baby is ridiculously small, but all the pregnancy hormones in my body were telling me to SLEEP. So hopefully there will be a podium you can lean on. Wear comfortable shoes!!

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I got nausea pretty early on in my pregnancy and it hung around until the baby was born. I found that ginger biscuits and plain crackers with a little salt on them were the best for relieving the queasiness, I'd just nibble them throughout the day. Being on my feet for hours wasn't an issue for me until I was almost into the 2nd trimester and my arches collapsed. But I'd recommend wearing comfortable shoes all the same.

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
I'm only 11 weeks and seem to be getting some pelvic girdle pain already. Has anyone else had this happen so early? What did you do to help? I don't even have much of a belly to support so I am not sure what to do to help it out. Doesn't help that I am on my feet for about 7 hours a day nonstop as a teacher.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
I have a pregnancy related work question. I am a nurse and I have the opportunity to change to another facility. In the long term this would be a good move for me as they have better benefits, but I am concerned about a job move during pregnancy. I have never had to deal with insurance and the possibility of something becoming a "pre existing condition". Can pregnancy even be marked as such? I know that I want this job but I am hesitant because of the insurance.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

I have a pregnancy related work question. I am a nurse and I have the opportunity to change to another facility. In the long term this would be a good move for me as they have better benefits, but I am concerned about a job move during pregnancy. I have never had to deal with insurance and the possibility of something becoming a "pre existing condition". Can pregnancy even be marked as such? I know that I want this job but I am hesitant because of the insurance.

Are you going to be able to take maternity leave at the new facility? FMLA requires that you be employed for a full year before you get maternity leave benefits, so I would make sure that isn't an issue if you switch jobs mid-pregnancy.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
So, cramping is scary. At 6 weeks now and it just started out of the blue. I know it's normal, but man am I shaken by it.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Anyone got any good suggestions for name websites that aren't horribly plagued by ads or are thinly veiled fronts for malware? We are so screwed. This kid is going to be Baby Noname for weeks if this inertia keeps up. Points for ease of use and non-idiot meanings and historical correlates. I know I'm asking for a lot for free but we need help dammit.

I'm terrified kiddo is going to hate us for his/her eventual name whatever we pick though. The only failsafe is a thoroughly inoffensive and dull name :catstare:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
There are no real rules with naming. Name your kid apple or animegoku or kale or cale or whatever you feel you want. It's your family :v:

There are names people don't like as a society but truthfully your kid is going to identify with whatever you name em, no exception. Also sometimes people decide at birth. Until ours was born it was baby R (last name initial) because we wanted sex of the baby to be a surprise for us.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

nyerf posted:

Anyone got any good suggestions for name websites that aren't horribly plagued by ads or are thinly veiled fronts for malware? We are so screwed. This kid is going to be Baby Noname for weeks if this inertia keeps up. Points for ease of use and non-idiot meanings and historical correlates. I know I'm asking for a lot for free but we need help dammit.

I'm terrified kiddo is going to hate us for his/her eventual name whatever we pick though. The only failsafe is a thoroughly inoffensive and dull name :catstare:

Here you go, citizen. Baby names from the government.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I forget which site we used but it wasn't so bad. Just went through letter by letter, figuring out things that would remotely be even possible, and then settled on the one boy name that was okay.

By the way, Ezekiel is a great name. :3:

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

nyerf posted:

I like http://nameberry.com/
The format is easy on the eyes, there are tons of lists (each one's not overwhelmingly long), the "people who like x also like y" suggestions let you jump around, and there's even a Name Hunter tool where you put in a few favorites and it gives you a bunch of suggestions.

This tool is great for seeing name trends: http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

^^^ We also used nameberry. It's a really great site.

Babycenter has some inspiration lists, as well: http://www.babycenter.com/baby-names-ideas

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
I liked Nameberry as well! Though, my son is named Ciaran, which means "little dark one" I guess, and he is a verrrrry fair redhead! He should've been Roan, but we have a good friend whose son is Roan.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.

Hi_Bears posted:

Are you going to be able to take maternity leave at the new facility? FMLA requires that you be employed for a full year before you get maternity leave benefits, so I would make sure that isn't an issue if you switch jobs mid-pregnancy.

I will know more after I get an official offer. My current job offers short term disability for 12 weeks where I will receive 60% of my base pay.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

silvergoose posted:

I forget which site we used but it wasn't so bad. Just went through letter by letter, figuring out things that would remotely be even possible, and then settled on the one boy name that was okay.

By the way, Ezekiel is a great name. :3:

My husband really likes Ezekiel, especially since our daughter is named Evelyn. I'm rooting for Penelope for a girl.

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
So I'm voting that for first time pregnant moms at the first "official" OB appointment (I've technically been to two others, but one was when I had a bleed scare, and the second one was a follow up to see if the issue had been resolved and the embryo was still viable), you should not let a PA student do the majority of the exam, especially without the real PA present.

I had an appointment yesterday, and the PA student was very nice, personality wise, but definitely very inexperienced. I had to have my 'well woman' check and such. My boobs have not stopped being sore for a day since I got pregnant, and I let her know, and she was still very rough. I'm pretty sure she was trying to turn them into mashed potatoes. Then she tried using the doppler to find the heartbeat. I'm 11.5 weeks along and I know sometimes you can't hear it by doppler until 12 weeks but I was still pretty sure it would be found. She was ramming the doppler wand all over my abdomen for about 5 minutes and then said "Um, I can't find the heartbeat, let me get the PA."

And then left me alone for 6 minutes. Cue me freaking out and imagining every worst case scenario.

The PA finally came in and was all "so nice to see you how are you?" It took everything I could to not just ignore her and say "Try doppler now". Fortunately she got down to it, and much less forcefully tried it and got a heartbeat within a minute. So it's all good. But geez! Later the PA student attempted to do the pap smear, and had the speculum all up in there and announced "I am going to ask the PA to come look at something." I heard her down there say "Is *that* the cervix?". The PA angles the speculum about an inch lower and said "there you go." I know students are just learning, but it's like... maybe learn on someone who is not still in their first trimester or already high strung and anxious about a pregnancy that didn't get off to the best start.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Yeahhhh... learners should have a go with the doppler after someone else has successfully done it.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
My husband was seconding nameberry as a resource, but I've been toying with the idea of at least partly borrowing from a famous name from history, either in literary circles or the sciences, or maybe political (eg human rights/equality/peace achievements).

It's so hard, I want the kid to grow up thinking we put more thought into this than just picking something we liked the sound of. Something that has an interesting story, and a deep hope for the future, and to show some of what we value. I guess I'm not likely to get that without random extensive wiki searches lol. Oh well, we've still got 25 weeks. There's a whiteboard set up in our living room with the current collection of name ideas, hopefully that'll help.

Found out today a coworker's recent new arrival was diagnosed only post birth with T21. The prenatal screens they had came back fine, and mother is younger than me and is fit and healthy. Worrying. The public antenatal service here is pretty lax with prenatal testing for 'low risk' mothers, and I fall into that category apparently despite being 31 and imho too close to an overweight BMI pre pregnancy for my liking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Re: names - if in doubt, you can't go wrong with naming baby after someone you love/admire, be it family, friends, or someone/something classical, historical or artistic.

Edit: Unless you love/admire Hitler, obviously.