Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

A Spider Covets posted:

oh i didnt know what roots you fed mattered, thanks for the tip!

also i have decided my chocobo is a girl, please do not misgender her, Mr. Nice!.

Canonically, all player chocobos are male, though knock yourself out with headcanon I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

Canonically, all player chocobos are male, though knock yourself out with headcanon I guess.

Life, uh, finds a way.

I like that chocobos in FF14 are basically how velociraptors would look.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 30, 2015

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Boten Anna posted:

ill get a cloaca change

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

I tried this out a few times on a dummy just to check it out and there are a couple of problems. I have a 2.37 gcd right now, but heavy thrust is still dropping before I'm able to reapply it. If I was any slower, it would drop before the second full thrust can hit. That is more damage lost than the one tick of phlebotomize that you clip if you go to the 2.x rotation. I don't know that it's possible to be fast enough to keep the heavy thrust buff up through three full combos, so you end up with a slight dps loss. In my runs on the dummy, yours came out about 15-20 dps lower. Not significant, but this also is a case with no moving

Decided to give it another test. Parsing only potency, mine ended up higher by one or two potency at 2.40 GCD. Definitely not a big difference but a difference nonetheless.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

petcarcharodon posted:

Decided to give it another test. Parsing only potency, mine ended up higher by one or two potency at 2.40 GCD. Definitely not a big difference but a difference nonetheless.

Check your crit rate. I had a few outliers with 2% crit and one with over 30%. That's why I ran it a few times to test. I'm not saying that it's necessarily bad to use that rotation, but if you have to move at all, you're definitely dropping heavy thrust on more than one GCD and that is bad.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

At 60 it's just HT, CT combo, combo finisher, Phlebotomize, FT combo, combo finisher repeat.
if you put phlebotomize before the chaos thrust combo you can bunch your two combos closer and get a little bit more juice out of blood of the dragon. when i made that switch i was able to consistently get one more gierskogul per minute than i was with the rotation you posted. there's a very tiny loss of dps at the very start of a fight from starting up phlebotomize dot before CT dot, but im pretty sure the extra gierskoguls compensate even in short encounters

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

Check your crit rate. I had a few outliers with 2% crit and one with over 30%. That's why I ran it a few times to test. I'm not saying that it's necessarily bad to use that rotation, but if you have to move at all, you're definitely dropping heavy thrust on more than one GCD and that is bad.

It's a pps parse, so crit doesn't matter.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DolphinCop posted:

if you put phlebotomize before the chaos thrust combo you can bunch your two combos closer and get a little bit more juice out of blood of the dragon. when i made that switch i was able to consistently get one more gierskogul per minute than i was with the rotation you posted. there's a very tiny loss of dps at the very start of a fight from starting up phlebotomize dot before CT dot, but im pretty sure the extra gierskoguls compensate even in short encounters

Can you expand on this? My experience has been that getting max geirskoguls per minute is super generous, and not the kind of thing a few seconds in either direction would change.

e: this is assuming that you never go for an iffy geirskogul (e.g., 22 seconds left), since just waiting for the next rotation doesn't actually change your geirskoguls per minute, because you always geirskogul yourself into empty right before repopping BotD.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DolphinCop posted:

You lose out on potency by doing this because you don't have disembowel up when you hit phlebotomize. You also end up in an off balance situation where you have different numbers of GCDs between combo finishers and it isn't as easy to keep BoD up.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 30, 2015

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I had an awful Brayflox LDR. The tank is a paladin, and I notice that right away, he's not keeping aggro. I look close, and he's only using fast blade. I tell him about the rage of halone combo, so he starts using it, but fails to use flash to grab adds, so every time I use bane it created aggro for me. One of the DPS at the first boss lost it because the tank grabbed the boss against the wall and pointed it at everyone, and quit. The other DPS says "well, every tank has to learn somehow."

I dunno what this tank's deal was, but on the final boss, I knew it would be bad; I preemptively explained the poison puddle method, said to pull them out, and if you see the regen buff, he's stuck on it. Literally the entire time he's keeping the boss in a puddle, we're yelling "PULL HIM OUT" he moves him a bit forward, not out of the puddle. On top of this, he never walked out of the AOE and got hit every time. Being a scholar, I could only heal poison once a minute. He eventually dies from consistent AOEs, our ninja takes over tanking. I'm feeling nice and revive the tank and say "hey just let the ninja tank." He gets up and begins shield tossing to get aggro back. He eventually starts screwing up the poison puddles and dies in another AOE blast. We finish the fight without him (it took so long we got 2 limit break attacks in). The ninja thanks me publicly for the fantastic healing job keeping him alive. I got all 3 commendations, which seems to happen for every terrible dungeon instance I'm in.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

petcarcharodon posted:

It's a pps parse, so crit doesn't matter.

It does matter. Different attacks have different crit rates, and as a dragoon you have multiple abilities that do crit-specific things.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

seiferguy posted:

I had an awful Brayflox LDR. The tank is a paladin, and I notice that right away, he's not keeping aggro. I look close, and he's only using fast blade. I tell him about the rage of halone combo, so he starts using it, but fails to use flash to grab adds, so every time I use bane it created aggro for me. One of the DPS at the first boss lost it because the tank grabbed the boss against the wall and pointed it at everyone, and quit. The other DPS says "well, every tank has to learn somehow."

I dunno what this tank's deal was, but on the final boss, I knew it would be bad; I preemptively explained the poison puddle method, said to pull them out, and if you see the regen buff, he's stuck on it. Literally the entire time he's keeping the boss in a puddle, we're yelling "PULL HIM OUT" he moves him a bit forward, not out of the puddle. On top of this, he never walked out of the AOE and got hit every time. Being a scholar, I could only heal poison once a minute. He eventually dies from consistent AOEs, our ninja takes over tanking. I'm feeling nice and revive the tank and say "hey just let the ninja tank." He gets up and begins shield tossing to get aggro back. He eventually starts screwing up the poison puddles and dies in another AOE blast. We finish the fight without him (it took so long we got 2 limit break attacks in). The ninja thanks me publicly for the fantastic healing job keeping him alive. I got all 3 commendations, which seems to happen for every terrible dungeon instance I'm in.

I've had a few magical runs like this. The very first time I did Brayflox the tank just parked the dragon directly in the poison pools for two wipes. Then me and the friend I was playing with at the time explained it again, they still ate every dragon breath but kept him out of the pools and we managed to finish the run. Since then I've had a couple questionable runs, but they're weirdly been related to Hellbender/Tempest Biast rather than the last boss. Guess killing adds still eludes a lot of people, but I've never had it be a run ender at least.

Although even a decently played Paladin can have a hell of a time holding threat in that place depending on the party makeup, but if they regain threat in decent time it's not so bad. Just depressing for the Paladin.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Death Dealer posted:

I've had a few magical runs like this. The very first time I did Brayflox the tank just parked the dragon directly in the poison pools for two wipes. Then me and the friend I was playing with at the time explained it again, they still ate every dragon breath but kept him out of the pools and we managed to finish the run. Since then I've had a couple questionable runs, but they're weirdly been related to Hellbender/Tempest Biast rather than the last boss. Guess killing adds still eludes a lot of people, but I've never had it be a run ender at least.

Although even a decently played Paladin can have a hell of a time holding threat in that place depending on the party makeup, but if they regain threat in decent time it's not so bad. Just depressing for the Paladin.

Honestly, on top of all the other issues with paladin, I feel like a good thing would be to switch when you get sword oath and shield oath. Get shield at 30, and sword at 40. Those 10 levels are real annoying. On top of this guy not moving the dragon, he took forever to do his abilities, which is probably why he couldn't hold threat to save his life.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

nuru posted:

I'm looking at the top 10 WAR parses in A1S on fflogs to get an idea of how diligently people are using Fracture (all the time? In berserk only? Etc) and the only thing I've learned is that no one seems to agree on when to use it and how often to maintain it. Some parses place it every 45 seconds or so, some maintain it 100% and have overlaps between oppressor and .5, etc. And oddly, on some parses it looks like Fracture is only ticking for ~15 seconds (http://www.fflogs.com/reports/4nLAz1NJwvZyK8Vt#fight=2&type=damage-done&source=9&ability=33).

Anyway, fracture talk :getin:
FFLogs may also not be reporting things correctly for all I know.

It's enc dps I've noticed is usually lower than what my ACT reports, but I've also noticed that the encounter time is different. I'm sure there's a good reason I haven't really looked into it.

http://www.fflogs.com/reports/n4KDagJtyMBWwA86#fight=2&type=damage-done&source=9&view=timeline&targetclass=Boss

I really have little idea how to play war gud but I've noticed my war always does fracture after the first SE, and keeps it up. He also gets me to use some 25s pull macro so he can pre-pop infuriate or something.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

kafziel posted:

...Different attacks have different crit rates...

This is not actually true.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
So I'm probably jumping into the game and starting a new character. I'm probably going to start going down the Mage/DPS route. Any guides like the tank guide that was posted earlier that would help me look at what to focus. If it helps, probably going to start as an Archanist.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
When you get your carbuncle, keep him up at all times. Your main source of damage will be through damage over time (dots), so you have to make sure they don't wear off, and you want as many dots on a mob as possible.

Later down the track, at level 30, you'll be able to specialize into being stronger at DPS or healing (you can switch between either at any time). You'll need to do 15 levels of white mage or thaumaturge to get those classes.

Always spam ruin, cause you'll be doing that a lot.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
When you're in dungeons make sure you're using the blue (dps) one instead of the yellow (tank). Also make sure you keep it on Obey instead of Sic, otherwise it will knock mobs away from the tank

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Eh, leave it on sic. It will rarely knockback the mob, and the tank can get over themselves otherwise they're going to cry when a MCH is around.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

nuru posted:

Eh, leave it on sic. It will rarely knockback the mob, and the tank can get over themselves otherwise they're going to cry when a MCH is around.

Except the knockback does lower damage than the normal attack, and will also piss off the dragoon/monk/ninja

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Dante Logos posted:

So I'm probably jumping into the game and starting a new character. I'm probably going to start going down the Mage/DPS route. Any guides like the tank guide that was posted earlier that would help me look at what to focus. If it helps, probably going to start as an Archanist.

The second you get to Gridania, unlock Archer, level it to 4, then level Conjurer to 8. No matter what else you'll ever be doing, the skills you gain from doing that will be invaluable - Raging Strikes is necessary on SMN, and Aero/Cleric Stance (as well as Protect) are amazing for SCH. Aero is also the largest damage increase of anything Arcanist can pick up, so you 100% shouldn't skip it.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Please Turn Off Backdraft In Dungeons

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Except the knockback does lower damage than the normal attack, and will also piss off the dragoon/monk/ninja

The damage from Backdraft is made up when Carbuncle uses Downburst, so that's a non-issue really. Considering the level of the mobs we're talking about, it's all pretty moot in the end.

nuru fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 1, 2015

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

And anyone with a cast time unless the pet is perfectly lined up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

It also knocks things out of the AOE killzone, which will piss off pretty much everyone except for paladins.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Frankly, I'm always annoyed by pets knockback skills going off. At least if it's a WHM using Fluid Aura you can tell them how to use it intelligently but pets never learn.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
Might as well get used to leaving it on obey anyways since Garuda will have no idea how to use Contagion.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also a lot of early bosses aren't immune to knockback, which can make it extremely annoying.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Is 3.1 out yet?

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I'll put it into play soon enough. One question involves finding a good Gil money flow early on. Teleporting to and fro does drain the wallet, and I've yet figured out a way to get a good income stream going.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Spiritbonding your low level gear should give you a little bit of cash.

Also you could join PBC for the 20% discount corp ability we're always running :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

vitamin the d posted:

Is 3.1 out yet?

No.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Boten Anna posted:

I have to admit, I wish had known this before naming mine Celes.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Buy low level crafting and gathering jewelery from NPCs and sell them on the MB for a 1000% markup

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

Buy low level crafting and gathering jewelery from NPCs and sell them on the MB for a 1000% markup

I used to successfully do this with bronze ornamental hammers. They're required for the main story and it isn't obvious where you're supposed to get them from, so people just go to the market board.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Dante Logos posted:

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I'll put it into play soon enough. One question involves finding a good Gil money flow early on. Teleporting to and fro does drain the wallet, and I've yet figured out a way to get a good income stream going.

So long as you keep doing your quests, your gil expenses are limited to teleports and repairs (notably: don't buy hideously price-jacked gear on the auction house), and you're not frittering about teleporting hither and yon for no good reason, your questing income alone should outpace your expenses as you level.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

When does Marauder stop being a constant struggle between TP and Aggro?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
When you crossclass Flash.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Drizvolta posted:

When does Marauder stop being a constant struggle between TP and Aggro?

It shouldn't be a struggle at all. If you're blowing all your TP on overpower, as you should be, nobody is going to be ripping aggro off you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fister Roboto posted:

It shouldn't be a struggle at all. If you're blowing all your TP on overpower, as you should be, nobody is going to be ripping aggro off you.
Lancer's with Full Thrust combo and the usual Archer culprit will do so though, usually in the stretch around Toto-Rak.

The real answer is when you get Butcher's Block.

• Locked thread