Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Shrapnig posted:

I thought the only allure of playing in Russia was ridiculous salaries. Why else would anyone go play in that third world wasteland?

Because racism is encouraged there I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Bogan Krkic posted:

I imagine very few will now.

The same people who did in early 2000s, when there wasn't any money in the league: third-grade nobodies from Africa and Central/Southern Europe.

Right now the salaries themselves in the Russian league aren't any bigger than in the top leagues+Turkey, they may be even smaller on average (except certain hilariously overrated Russian national team "strikers"), but there's a massive difference in taxation, as there's a flat tax rate of 13% and only a few additional mandatory payments

vyelkin posted:

iirc a lot of RPL contracts for foreigners are paid in foreign currency so I imagine that if you're one of the overpaid players at an oligarch club in Moscow or St Petersburg getting paid more euros per week than the entire rest of the team makes each year it's probably still pretty nice.

The salaries are almost universally* determined in Euros. The payments themselves, however, happen in rubles, because that's the only legal way to pay employees (and footballers are legally considered employees, just like anyone else from CEO to janitor) in Russia, regardless of where the employee comes from. Essentially, they're paid an anmount of rubles that is worth n euros. The issue is exchange rate

*at least in the premier league, the lower league clubs don't bother with foreign players, because they're not allowed to field more than 3 at a time in the second league, and non-Russians are completely barred from playing below that. Even though it's illegal on multiple levels

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

Doesnt Frimmy play in Russia these days? Must be dench at some level.

track day bro! posted:

I'd like to actually see some people getting Frimponged if they dont stay dench.

Also this is my favorite suggestion thus far.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

cadfael posted:

Doesnt Frimmy play in Russia these days? Must be dench at some level.

He plays for a poo poo side near the border with Kazakhstan and gets racially abused. It really isn't dench at all.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013
he got suspended for swearing at fans who were doing a racism

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea why did Frimpong go to Ufa.* They aren't even a rich club. I suppose it's the same thing that happened with Drenthe a couple years back, a desperate attempt to revitalize his career.
They also didn't have a stadium for over a year (until literally a week ago), meaning that they were leasing stadiums in other cities for their matches. Meaning that they had 30 away games. How did they get a license without a field in the vicinity of Ufa at is beyond me.

That said, Frimpong is playing at the general level of a player of a team ranked 8-14 in the Russian league. His English experience doesn't show at all.
Ufa fans love him tho, so I guess that's something

*the second syllable is stressed

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Frimpong doesn't have English experience.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
It was looking like his career would be over soon by the time he left England. He woulda gone anywhere that paid him a decent wage.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

Frimpong doesn't have English experience.

By Russian standards, he very much does

blue footed boobie posted:

It was looking like his career would be over soon by the time he left England. He woulda gone anywhere that paid him a decent wage.

That's what people here thought, too. He's exceeding expectations: he stuck around for long enough to get racism'ed and he doesn't really slack off, at least not yet. He's just not good enough to play anywhere above a mid-league team in Russia

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 11, 2015

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Alexeythegreat posted:

By Russian standards, he very much does

He looked like he might settle into a team at the high championship/lower premier league level, and then he did his ACL twice and couldn't cut it in the Championship. It's not like he was passing up opportunities in England.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

He looked like he might settle into a team at the high championship/lower premier league level, and then he did his ACL twice and couldn't cut it in the Championship. It's not like he was passing up opportunities in England.

I meant that he's played a bit in the premier league and has an understanding of how the game's played there; that's something most players in Russia can't say about themselves

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

He looked like he might settle into a team at the high championship/lower premier league level

No chance.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

sassassin posted:

No chance.

Eh. He was only like 18/19 before his injuries. He maybe could have been a poo poo clogger for Sunderland or something.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
I'd like goal line technology to be added to leagues lower than the premier league now that Reading have been directly affected and had a goal wrongly not given thanks

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

I'd like goal line technology to be added to leagues lower than the premier league now that Reading have been directly affected and had a goal wrongly not given thanks

Some clubs can't afford it I don't think.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Soulex posted:

Some clubs can't afford it I don't think.

Use FIFA's massive war chest to give goal line technology to every club in Africa, Asia, the Caribbean and Oceania, but not to England.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Just thought of a thing - most penalties are completely unfair and disproportionation. You can get a penalty if you foul a player whilst there is no threat on goal whatsoever or if there is a lovely little handball in the corner of the box. More indirect free kicks, I say.

witz
Sep 28, 2001

Start winning some games or he'll kill you

jyrka posted:

Just thought of a thing - most penalties are completely unfair and disproportionation. You can get a penalty if you foul a player whilst there is no threat on goal whatsoever or if there is a lovely little handball in the corner of the box. More indirect free kicks, I say.
I think we'll actually see the 'deliberate handling of the ball' rule clarified more in coming years through FIFA memos. The enforcement is still too subjective and needs to push more to the deliberate side than the way it gets called at the highest levels right now. Truly deliberate, making yourself 'bigger', and arms in an unnatural position. Right now it seems as if they're still calling anything that touches, that they can see, despite FIFA's clarifications.

To your other point, the issue with more IFK's in the penalty area is that your going to have a lot of in-game delays because of scrums.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

jyrka posted:

referees seem scared to give them for anything eve obvious poo poo like terry's back pass

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Since it led to an underserved penalty in the Wolfsburg game today, how about:

Obviously unintentional hand ball: indirect free kick

Obviously intentional hand ball: direct free kick

Maybe intentional hand ball: roshambo. to the death.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

More like send defenders to "stop being retarded" classes for flailing their arms around in the box like total idiots.

I didn't even see the penalty but usually these "undeserved" penalties are because defenders have bad discipline about where their arms are.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

First two seconds of this is the best video I could find at the moment and it'll probably get nuked by UEFA soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzZeImkR8V4

Nailed on penalty for me, his arm is totally horizontal from his body.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ban Chelsea

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Shrapnig posted:

First two seconds of this is the best video I could find at the moment and it'll probably get nuked by UEFA soon.

This is so clearly a penalty. idgi.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Shrapnig posted:

That's clear as day, is the media saying it's not?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

That is the kind of stuff I was talking about earlier. There was little threat on goal. In my opinion the rules should be changed so it'd be an IFK and a yellow card. A penalty is much too harsh.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

That's reasonable, but adds way to much subjective judgement imo

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Drogadon posted:

That's reasonable, but adds way to much subjective judgement imo

I agree, that would be a potential problem.

I wish soccer experimented more with different ideas. There are so many leagues. It wouldn't hurt if occasionally different small pointless ones like MLS or SPL tried out different things for a season or two.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

jyrka posted:

I wish soccer experimented more with different ideas. There are so many leagues. It wouldn't hurt if occasionally different small pointless ones like MLS or SPL tried out different things for a season or two.

Can you imagine how infuriating American posters would be if MLS didn't have the same rules as everywhere else

witz
Sep 28, 2001

jyrka posted:

That is the kind of stuff I was talking about earlier. There was little threat on goal. In my opinion the rules should be changed so it'd be an IFK and a yellow card. A penalty is much too harsh.

That's an easy yellow. Why would you have an offense like that, inside your own PA, result in a yellow and not a PK?

Also, I would say there WAS a threat on goal since the ball was clearly headed in that direction.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

jyrka posted:

Some minor leagues do it. There are different rule interpretations in Serie B most years than in Serie A. For example, this year they've introduced a card system that rewards players for fair play. I don't think anyone has seen one yet since Serie B is mostly about killing the other players but it's a new idea. The player with the most of these cards at the end of the season wins some sort of prize I think. Now that I typed that out I realize it's pretty dumb, but it's an experiment anyway.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
A few years back, the 7th tier of the English league system experimented with allowing kick-ins. It didn't work, apparently. (thanks, The Guardian)

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

jyrka posted:

It's a ball into the box wtf are you on about?

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
don't touch the ball, in the box, with your hands, unless you're the keeper - there isn't anything there that needs to be changed

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."
Personally I don't think that really is a penalty according to the rules, because I don't think it is intentional. Unless things have changed, the whole idea of unnatural positions etc is just a factor in the referee's decision as to whether it really was intentional. They have to make the call after one viewing at full speed so its much harder, hence you can understand them factoring in things like this.

But watch the video again. Do you really think that the defender intended to block that with his hand? Not a chance. He even starts to look away which is an obvious indicator that he didn't. Look at the other defender at the start of the video, his arm is virtually straight up in the air. Is he trying to block the cross? Nope, its a way to alter your balance when trying moving in unnatural ways. Hence there is constant frustration when you get penalties given against you for this.

Unless you want to keep having 'dodgy' penalties in games to give the media something to talk about, I think it makes sense to penalise any arm contact. IFKs would then seem to be the best solution to a big increase in occurrences, and clearly intentional handball being a yellow would be a sensible change, or a red if it was denying a goal scoring opportunity.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Ninpo posted:

It's a ball into the box wtf are you on about?

Jesus. Sorry that my example is related to Manchester United. It's not personal.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Robot refs

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

jyrka posted:

Every other sporting code does this but FIFA are super lazy and happy enough to just sit on their mountain of money.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

ChrisXP posted:

Personally I don't think that really is a penalty according to the rules, because I don't think it is intentional. Unless things have changed, the whole idea of unnatural positions etc is just a factor in the referee's decision as to whether it really was intentional. They have to make the call after one viewing at full speed so its much harder, hence you can understand them factoring in things like this.

But watch the video again. Do you really think that the defender intended to block that with his hand? Not a chance. He even starts to look away which is an obvious indicator that he didn't. Look at the other defender at the start of the video, his arm is virtually straight up in the air. Is he trying to block the cross? Nope, its a way to alter your balance when trying moving in unnatural ways. Hence there is constant frustration when you get penalties given against you for this.

Unless you want to keep having 'dodgy' penalties in games to give the media something to talk about, I think it makes sense to penalise any arm contact. IFKs would then seem to be the best solution to a big increase in occurrences, and clearly intentional handball being a yellow would be a sensible change, or a red if it was denying a goal scoring opportunity.

Nah, that's a penalty. The word is "deliberate", not "intentional", and putting his arm there to balance while he challenged for the ball was something he deliberately did. Did he intend to handle the ball? Probably not. But he chose to challenge knowing that he would need to have his arm in the way of a potential cross and decided it was worth the risk. A professional player should get no sympathy here whereas you might look at a U12 and give them the benefit of the doubt.

The problem with penalizing any arm contact with an IFK is that most (all?) professional players could ping the ball off an arm from a yard or two away. A lot of strategy would be "get into favorable position, wait for defender to close down, ping ball off arm" to get a free kick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

witz
Sep 28, 2001

chaoslord posted:

Nah, that's a penalty. The word is "deliberate", not "intentional", and putting his arm there to balance while he challenged for the ball was something he deliberately did. Did he intend to handle the ball? Probably not. But he chose to challenge knowing that he would need to have his arm in the way of a potential cross and decided it was worth the risk. A professional player should get no sympathy here whereas you might look at a U12 and give them the benefit of the doubt.

The problem with penalizing any arm contact with an IFK is that most (all?) professional players could ping the ball off an arm from a yard or two away. A lot of strategy would be "get into favorable position, wait for defender to close down, ping ball off arm" to get a free kick.

I agree with all of this. I would have called this a PK in U12 and up, actually (unless it was girls, then probably U14 or 15). The issue is 'making yourself bigger' even though it may not have been intentional, the arm being in an unnatural position is indeed 'deliberate'. This situation is a cut and dry PK at most levels (and a caution).

• Locked thread