Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

You can apparently just drop one or two jeeps onto a field, put the children on them and fulton the jeeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Andrast posted:

You can apparently just drop one or two jeeps onto a field, put the children on them and fulton the jeeps.

This is why I'm bad at Metal Gear, things like "call a supply drop on Quiet's head" just never occur to me at all. :v:

We're never going to see a game like this again and that makes me really sad because it lets you (and often encourages you to) do some remarkably silly bullshit.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

This is why I'm bad at Metal Gear, things like "call a supply drop on Quiet's head" just never occur to me at all.

Even if I had known about that trick I probably wouldn't have done it because I always try to do my first go bosses in most games as legit as possible unless they're unfair or unfun. Quiet was super fun so I was happy to spend 30 minutes fighting her.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, save the hilarious bullshit tactics for the replay. It'd be like shooting The End's wheelchair out from under him first time round so you don't get to experience the real fight.

I've just realized, all sniper bosses in MGS are good. Sniper Wolf, The End, Quiet.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Yeah, save the hilarious bullshit tactics for the replay. It'd be like shooting The End's wheelchair out from under him first time round so you don't get to experience the real fight.

I've just realized, all sniper bosses in MGS are good. Sniper Wolf, The End, Quiet.

Although it doesn't really qualify, the Skull ambush during the Code Talker rescue was also pretty good. Plus. Quiet proved to be a good friend best sniper in that one.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Crying Wolf is the one dark spot in a strong sniping history.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
someone should tell woolie the people who made gangsta just went bankrupt and aren't paying their animators

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Dias posted:

Although it doesn't really qualify, the Skull ambush during the Code Talker rescue was also pretty good. Plus. Quiet proved to be a good friend best sniper in that one.

The best part about that fight is that it can be avoided entirely, but requires you to sneak right behind a few of the enemies.

The Extreme version was a tad bit unfair, I thought.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

SkeletonHero posted:

Crying Wolf is the one dark spot in a strong sniping history.

Crying is a better fight than Sniper. Although Sniper is obviously an actual character unlike Sniper.

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011
The extreme version of the Quiet fight made me learn how to use long range bullet drop, poo poo was fun.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Blockhouse posted:

someone should tell woolie the people who made gangsta just went bankrupt and aren't paying their animators

RIP the studio that made Samurai Champloo, Ergo Proxy, Michiko to Hatchin, and Samurai Flamenco

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Woolie wanting to know nothing about Dancing All Night made me laugh

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Tae posted:

RIP the studio that made Samurai Champloo, Ergo Proxy, Michiko to Hatchin, and Samurai Flamenco

Eh, specific studios don't mean much in anime with a few exceptions. Like, MtH isn't what it is because of Manglobe, but because of Saya Yamamoto. Directors are much more important.

Sucks for the animators though (as if it didn't already suck to be an animator).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Liam using the injured kid as a weapon to knock the soldier out definitely needs a gif

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Now that the finale's up on actual youtube, the number of choices that severely affect stuff in the middle chapters is absurd. A very early, but affecting choice as an example:

If you shoot the squirrel at the beginning of the game, it scares a crow and injures Sam and it sticks with her. Sam then re-opens that wound during the Psycho Josh scene, and her dripping blood alerts him to her presence.

Giving the flare gun to Emily prevents her from being bitten, skipping the entire shooting scene.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tae posted:

Giving the flare gun to Emily prevents her from being bitten, skipping the entire shooting scene.

Similarly, Matt is the first person that can die in the whole game; if you try to save Emily, he falls down with her except he lands all the way the the bottom of the shaft since there's nothing to catch on. There, he encounters a Wendigo, which spears his head on a meat hook... unless you let him keep the flare gun, at which point he'll use it to save himself.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CJacobs posted:

Similarly, Matt is the first person that can die in the whole game; if you try to save Emily, he falls down with her except he lands all the way the the bottom of the shaft since there's nothing to catch on. There, he encounters a Wendigo, which spears his head on a meat hook... unless you let him keep the flare gun, at which point he'll use it to save himself.

he can kick it even before that

don't attack elk with an axe, kids

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Matt's horror instincts are too good. He is the savior of dumb teenagers everywhere, even Emily.

Poor Josh though, poor kid just can't catch a break.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 1, 2015

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

If anything else, Until Dawn cements Matt as the True horror film nerd.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Matt's McMuscles carried all these kids through.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Compendium posted:

Matt's McMuscles carried all these kids through.

America's hero did it.

No really getting a no-death run does take a bit of skill/smart thinking, good job Matt.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I loved the Until Dawn LP. It's such a great game and Matt managing to save everyone on his first go is just incredible. I just wish they'd have given the Events of the Past another watch before the end.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Can Josh have a good ending? What a cool loving game.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Silentman0 posted:

Can Josh have a good ending? What a cool loving game.

Nope, it's either going full wendigo or going full scanners head explosion.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I got the kriss kross reference :unsmith:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Until Dawn was a great rear end LP, jeez

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

KingShiro posted:

I got the kriss kross reference :unsmith:

They sounded like aged old men saying "kids don't know Kriss Kross!!!!" I was born in 90 and am aware of things that existed before I was a kid lol. "*vanilla ice reference* no ones going 2 get this rafarance"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
only 90's kids will

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Yep that was a good rear end game and a good rear end LP for a good rear end game. Also whatever this team does next I just hope they keep bringing Peter Stormare along.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I can't beleive they got the ending they did in Until Dawn, amazing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
And just in time for the shitstorm to start (gee it's almost like they plan things out or something), so the horror gap will be filled!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Actually, Jessica can die near the start when she's taken by the Wndigo. If you take too long to follow as Mike (take all the safe paths) she'll be killed. Alex from Giant Bomb East had that happen during their playthrough.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Baal posted:

Woolie wanting to know nothing about Dancing All Night made me laugh

Is that surprising after their attitude to PQ(ignoring its actual quality)?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

HGH posted:

Is that surprising after their attitude to PQ(ignoring its actual quality)?

Also Woolie's hilarious fear of spoiling who the killer is in an 8 year old murder mystery that everyone that wanted to has already played. Ultimax talk when it came out was the best.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
People actually calling Adachi 'culprit' in 2015 is seriously never not going to be funny.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is that Ultimax will never be a FNF? Because of all the work blurring out Adachi and replacing his name with Culprit would be in editing?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Come to think of it, didn't loving up that one Mike prompt actually save the wolf?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It did, yes. If you get trapped by a Wendigo during that segment and are friends with the wolf, it'll attack the creature to save Mike and get killed super hard. This, however, gives Mike a chance to escape its grasp and therefore gives the player another chance to complete the sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's too bad they didn't get the full sequence because it is ABSURD how many times mike shoots wendigos