Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

F. Lobot posted:

Why did the government name Chopper "Cotton Candy Lover"? The only time he had ever eaten Cotton Candy was in the audience of the Davy Back Fight, while he wasn't even a member of the Strawhat's crew. Aokiji was the only marine on that island that could have seen it. He does seem like the kind of guy that would shrug off his job to watch the Pirate Games, but why would he notice Chopper is one of the hundreds in the crowd eating stadium food?

The photographer is very good at getting his pictures and highlighting pirate's key traits without ever being seen in the midst of battle, with the exception of Sanji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TheKingofSprings posted:

They're gonna get boiled alive by Akainu, there are too many important established fightmans to get through to bother with these jerks who may not even be fightmen

1 has a scar on his chest, 1 on his face and 1 carries a sword. they definitely fight people

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Allarion posted:

A couple of characters. I think Marco, Jinbei and Ivankov. Presumably Sabo if you didn't get the preorder dlc.

I think only Nami, Lucci, Ceasar and Sabo have to be unlocked in story mode, the rest can obtained through Dream Mode apparently.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

F. Lobot posted:

Why did the government name Chopper "Cotton Candy Lover"? The only time he had ever eaten Cotton Candy was in the audience of the Davy Back Fight, while he wasn't even a member of the Strawhat's crew. Aokiji was the only marine on that island that could have seen it. He does seem like the kind of guy that would shrug off his job to watch the Pirate Games, but why would he notice Chopper is one of the hundreds in the crowd eating stadium food?

They got a picture of a weird creature eating cotton candy with the Straw Hats and thought he was their pet who loves cotton candy.

Like the entire story is told in the single panel with the reward poster.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

This is anime misinformation at work. Looking back Luffy recruited Chopper after round 2, so the photographee would identify him as a Strawhat.

According to the anime Chopper should be wearing the Foxy mask in the poster but hey what can you do?

I also thought the photographer was a part of the actual Marines rather than a freelancer like Absolom. There's a scene where he's yelled at by his supervisor for losing Sanji's photo. Why would he be on [Long Ring] Long Island?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the photographer got a picture of chopper eating cotton candy at some point and that's all there is to it :shrug:

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

F. Lobot posted:

This is anime misinformation at work. Looking back Luffy recruited Chopper after round 2, so the photographee would identify him as a Strawhat.

According to the anime Chopper should be wearing the Foxy mask in the poster but hey what can you do?

I also thought the photographer was a part of the actual Marines rather than a freelancer like Absolom. There's a scene where he's yelled at by his supervisor for losing Sanji's photo. Why would he be on [Long Ring] Long Island?
lmao

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

F. Lobot posted:

Perhaps, and I admit this is a crazy notion, he ate cotton candy off panel at Water 7. They did have a bit of down time and that is when everyone else got their pictures taken/updated. After all, Chopper does in fact love cotton candy after all.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Sounds like implied filler, take it to the anime thread.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Chopper eats cotton candy all the time. Even as recently as the Law sandwich gag before Dressrosa, Chopper ordered a cotton candy sandwich. You guys are overthinking this, his bounty photo even shows him eating it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's also because "Cotton Candy Lover" is not a very threatening epithet and that's funny.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Advice posted:

Chopper eats cotton candy all the time. Even as recently as the Law sandwich gag before Dressrosa, Chopper ordered a cotton candy sandwich. You guys are overthinking this, his bounty photo even shows him eating it.

A lot of those instances are post-Bounty, so it makes sense that Oda would throw in Cotton Candy-loving gags now that he has the nickname. I think at the time that the bounty + name first appeared, however, there'd been very few instances of cotton candy eating.

I wondered about it too, way back then, but I just filed it away as a funny joke/poster.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Can you even get a bounty without also getting some sort of nickname in One Piece?

I do still kind of chuckle that Kidd only got "Captain". What a boring nickname for a Captain.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
There have been worse in real life. Billy (actually Henry) "the Kid," for instance.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gyges posted:

Can you even get a bounty without also getting some sort of nickname in One Piece?

I do still kind of chuckle that Kidd only got "Captain". What a boring nickname for a Captain.

its not like red hair or straw hat is much better

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Gyges posted:

I don't think Moria has one?

I wonder how everyone knows what people's nicknames are just based on the poster? Presumably it's kept in that little unreadable squiggle in the bottom left corner. Or do you need to cross-reference with the newspaper?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AnonSpore posted:

There have been worse in real life. Billy (actually Henry) "the Kid," for instance.

Kild posted:

its not like red hair or straw hat is much better

All of these take more thought and work than just deciding that the captain shall now be known as Captain.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Gyges posted:

All of these take more thought and work than just deciding that the captain shall now be known as Captain.

It's kind of cool, in a way. Luffy, Law, even Shanks. Those guys are captains. Kidd is The Captain. Minus the definite article, he's just like extra captainy I guess.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
"I wanna fight! I'm not afraid of dying!"
"Then there's no place for you in my army. Every man here is afraid of dying."

Powerful scene. Alabasta's a good arc.

I also like how Oda turned the convenient windfall of the crew meeting Mr. 2 into a disadvantage since now Crocodile knows about them and that they're coming; likely many of their abilities as well since Mr. 3 probably filled him in on the battle. It's a neat little reversal of fortune revealing previously-thought "Lazy" writing to actually turn out to be "Good" writing.

I'm about at the bit where all the fighting starts, I think. Last time I read through this arc, over five years ago, the fights themselves were the low point. Hopefully I feel differently about them now.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Every fight in that arc without exception is completely fantastic, I have no idea what you are talking about.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
Yeah, 2 Bon Clay vs Sanji is still my favorite Sanji fight in the entire series.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Spoilers for 802 starting to come out:

Whitebeard had a son, and this guy is supposed to be the seventh Shichibukai.

Uh... :wtc: This has strong Fakehats/Brownbeard vibes IMO. Otherwise, this is totally out of left-field.

Welcome to Zou. :getin:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 1, 2015

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
that's totally the guy who was drinking with crocus back during the post-timeskip cover arc

e: no I'm full of poo poo that guy was tiny

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

I don't think Moria has one?

Neither does Crocodile. Kind of funny how "Sir" is apparently his first name because none of the other Warlords are ever addressed with a title. Wouldn't be surprised if that somehow tied into his origin story, like if he was a knight or a nobleman before becoming a pirate.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Star Platinum posted:

Neither does Crocodile. Kind of funny how "Sir" is apparently his first name because none of the other Warlords are ever addressed with a title. Wouldn't be surprised if that somehow tied into his origin story, like if he was a knight or a nobleman before becoming a pirate.

Or Crocodile is insecure about being changed from a woman by Ivankov and has a psychological need to be called Sir.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Advice posted:

Every fight in that arc without exception is completely fantastic, I have no idea what you are talking about.
At the time I wasn't really feeling any of One Piece's fights, so it wasn't so much that I thought they were bad as much as they felt like any other fight in the series.

I dunno, like I said when I started this reread, it's been long enough since I read it last that my complaints are just vague generalities. In refreshing my memory, I'm found that I enjoy this series far more now than I did then, so it's possible that extends to the fights as well.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Star Platinum posted:

He was probably called Sir Crocodile because the people of Alabasta respected him a lot and saw him as a savior. No one really refers to him that way anymore after Alabasta is over, he's just Crocodile from that point on.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Spoilers for 802 starting to come out:

[
Uh... :wtc: This has strong Fakehats/Brownbeard vibes IMO. Otherwise, this is totally out of left-field.

Yeah this doesn't add up at all. lol maybe WB became a surrogate father to his crew cuz his real son was so lame.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Mangapanda's translation is out, read at your own risk :v:

Edit: poo poo, Zou is literally on top of an elephant. :stare: That's pretty awesome!

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 1, 2015

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter is out - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/One-Piece/One-Piece-802--Zou?id=242994

EDIT: Bart and his crew continue to be amazing. Not spoilering this because this is evidently true and known to everyone.

EDIT2: Absolutely loving amazing. :allears:

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 1, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, I'm pretty excited for Zou now.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Skypeia-style adventures, anyone? Gotta keep up the parallels, of course.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
:rip: this guy.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
This was a really good chapter

Edit oops

Edit 2 hosed up spoiler tags and posted a billion spoilers. Let's try again.

Edit 3
Not working with spoiler tags but good chapter!

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 1, 2015

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

How do you even remember that guy?

I was wrong. Junior is great and so is his momma. Law seeing Ussop as badass enough to go by "god" is hilarious. Elephant land looks amazing and kinda like something out of Toriko.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Amorphous Blob posted:

How do you even remember that guy?

I was wrong. Junior is great and so is his momma. Law seeing Ussop as badass enough to go by "god" is hilarious. Elephant land looks amazing and kinda like something out of Toriko.

He looked familiar, and I was sure I'd seen him in Marineford many years ago, so I looked through the wiki to refresh my memory and there he was. Didn't recognize the name, but Oda's really good with distinct faces. Granted, I initially thought he might've been Lip Service Doughty from the 2-Year Reunion arc.

I have a good memory when it comes to useless manga facts.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
WAIT A loving SECOND.

IS THAT A FAKE MUSTACHE?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Holy poo poo. That really is the coolest thing since Skypia. God drat, what an adventure!

But truly the strangest thing this chapter...
Whitebeard's surname is Edward?

Like, I know everyone else has a Japanese name order with the surname first given name last... but I guess I never realized that Edward Newgate... was from the Edward family with a given name of Newgate. Weird.

I mean, we all know Whitebeard Jr. is full of poo poo, but still.

Ussop is, as always, the best. But Franky's throbbing rage at Ussop having such a high bounty was hilarious. I can't wait to see Sanji's reaction, as we all know he's into bounties too.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

WAIT A loving SECOND.

IS THAT A FAKE MUSTACHE?

That's snot, settle down

E: I don't actually like the new guy at all TBH, but I suspect Oda will do something cool with him that changes that

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's snot, settle down

: I don't actually like the new guy at all TBH, but I suspect Oda will do something cool with him that changes that

You're probably right but I refuse to settle down.