Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Can we get the unalienable right enshrined into the Charter of Human Rights that no person should be required to deal with printers in any form, for any reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

oTHi posted:

Can we get the unalienable right enshrined into the Charter of Human Rights that no person should be required to deal with printers in any form, for any reason?

Amen

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

We rolled out three new printers today at work :toot:
It was 15 minutes before a designer complained they weren't consulted over the printer names, and by the end of the day there was a rumour that one of them had started a petition to get us to run a naming competition for them.

I'd requested tomorrow off several weeks ago because I'm going to Australia for the weekend, but when I get back on Monday there will be another seven new printers in three other office locations and I'll be in charge of technical support for all of them. :smithcloud:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

larchesdanrew posted:

These are all good ideas. Thanks for the ideas. I'm pretty confident about tomorrow, except the fact that I'll be working next to rapey anchor the whole time.

I also like to use process monitor for problems like this. It's very verbose but I'd usually filter on anything that didn't return a successful status code.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

A ticket came in from my manager...

:v: thing is broken, please fix it ASAP
:confused: coworker made this, better let him do it
:v: coworker is busy fulltime on other thing with a hard deadline, he can't. you gotta do it. plus, now you'll know how it works! :haw:
:confused: I don't even know where the code for thing is, let alone understand it, find the bug, or fix it.

This coworker never documents *anything*. And this is apparently taking precedence over the really really important project I was already assigned to. :suicide:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Merijn posted:

:v: coworker is busy fulltime on other thing with a hard deadline, he can't. you gotta do it. plus, now you'll know how it works! :haw:
:confused: I don't even know where the code for thing is, let alone understand it, find the bug, or fix it.

This coworker never documents *anything*. And this is apparently taking precedence over the really really important project I was already assigned to. :suicide:

orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr you could just figure it the gently caress out and fix it??? "I don't know where" is generally code for "wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh i'm literally a babbeh"

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm da manager in the op

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

FireSight posted:

English as a second language person who was tricked/mistaken into thinking that "gently caress you" meant "thank you" and they never managed to be corrected.

A friend returned from a business trip to France and only found out when got back that he'd got Merde and Merci mixed up - He had thought all the strange reactions he'd got there was just the French being French.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Baconroll posted:

A friend returned from a business trip to France and only found out when got back that he'd got Merde and Merci mixed up - He had thought all the strange reactions he'd got there was just the French being French.

Completely off topic, but my wife was raised bilingual, Spanish/English, though she hadn't really had the chance to speak much Spanish since leaving high school. For our honeymoon, we went to Mexico, and she was all excited to speak the language of the locals and all that. So we get to the airport in Cancun, and we're going through customs, and the guy is checking our bags and he and my wife are making small talk in Spanish, and I'm just standing there, smiling and nodding because I don't understand a word of it. Halfway through the conversation, my wife says something, and the guy shoots me this weird look like he just saw me grow a 2nd head. I, of course, just smile and shrug while I internally sweat bullets, but he goes back to what he was doing. He finishes looking at our stuff and we go on our way. I asked my wife what the hell that was all about and she just sheepishly looked at her feet and said "Yeah.... so I might have accidentally called you my wife back there... :blush:"

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

mindphlux posted:

orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr you could just figure it the gently caress out and fix it??? "I don't know where" is generally code for "wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh i'm literally a babbeh"

" This coworker never documents *anything*"

If it's software you've never written, it's not a simple matter of just glancing at code. And lack of documentation makes that far worse. But please, don't let that stop you from being a judgmental rear end.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Raerlynn posted:

" This coworker never documents *anything*"

If it's software you've never written, it's not a simple matter of just glancing at code. And lack of documentation makes that far worse. But please, don't let that stop you from being a judgmental rear end.

mindphlux posted:

I'm da manager in the op

It's pretty obvious he's joking.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Merijn posted:

Remark out the first 20 lines of the code, upload to production and ask if that fixed it. Each time he keeps telling you to fix it, break it more and more and more.

Bonus points if you act super cheerful and optimistic while doing it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Merijn posted:

Looks like you get to take a couple hours and debug some stuff! It's code, it documents itself.

mindphlux posted:

Lol.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

KaneTW posted:

It's pretty obvious he's joking.

Doh! My bad. See my Buffalo NAS filled up and then...

Ah gently caress it - sorry dude.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Raerlynn posted:

Doh! My bad. See my Buffalo NAS filled up and then...

You leave my babies out of this

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

larchesdanrew posted:

You leave my babies out of this

Larch,

The fact that you still have energy to make self effacing jokes that are actually funny amazes me.

Your posts are the kid trapped in a cellar full of poo poo happily digging around saying, "with all this poo poo there's gotta be a pony in here somewhere."

You need to :yotj: because you deserve it. You have wings. You need to fly.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
That's beautiful, man.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Agrikk posted:

Larch,

The fact that you still have energy to make self effacing jokes that are actually funny amazes me.

Your posts are the kid trapped in a cellar full of poo poo happily digging around saying, "with all this poo poo there's gotta be a pony in here somewhere."

You need to :yotj: because you deserve it. You have wings. You need to fly.
I would play a rejiggered Binding of Isaac with Larch as Isaac and CE as Mom.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

vibur posted:

I would play a rejiggered Binding of Isaac with Larch as Isaac and CE as Mom.

You wouldn't have to change too many assets to make it accurate

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Triple drive failure in one of the Nexsan arrays. Maybe the client shouldn't have just yanked the power to turn it off :bang:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I contacted ENPS support and they immediately said, "Oh, that's weird, it's probably a problem with the printer. Welp, see you later!"

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
We're in the middle of a big deployment. Users were sent an email from the ticketing system asking about their requirements and confirming availablility on their scheduled deployment day. Only ~70% of the people responded to that email. I've been following up with those who didn't respond, and most of them replied with something similar to this gem I got today:

quote:

Fyi it wasn’t apparent in the original email that a response was required? I have cleaned up my computer and been expecting the analyst to contact me?

They were sent an email ahead of the ticking system's email warning them about it, explaining that they will need to respond and why; including a red, centered, 20 point font warning at the beginning of the email that they will need to respond if we are to deploy their new PC on time. The title of the ticketing system's email was "Response required", and the body of that message requested that they reply at several points.

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but still.
:negative:

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
You need to put all that text into a pretty picture. People can't read words unless they're pictures and really big, I've noticed that.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gothmog1065 posted:

People can't read words.

Fixed it for you.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I got a ticket the other day. We have contractors who only have access to a terminal server. They recently got some new hires there so they're doing training. We* use uPerform for training documents and simulations and whatnot. So the ticket came in saying they need audio on the terminal server for this training stuff. I talk to my boss about it, he says "nope, no sound card on there, can't do it". I look into it some more and find stuff on Remote Audio and that it will work for us. I set it up, audio now works, close the ticket.

Next day, another ticket comes in. It's still not working! I say to make sure they log off of the terminal server and the log back on and try again. Then I think about it for a little more and ask the person who sent in the ticket for a link to an example. No sound (on my computer where I tested). I start looking at others, no sound. No sound in any of them. I message her back, "I don't think any of them have sound." She gets back to me, "Oh, I talked to the trainer. None of them have sound. Thanks"

:sigh:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Agrikk posted:

Something else to try if the program is an older program or something equally kludgy is to try redirecting the network printer to an LPT port.

NET USE LPT1 \\server\shared_printer

alternately use Printfil to capture PRN: or LPT1-9 forward it to USB or other printers

(When a network printer is installed, it typically creates a printer port of "Standard TCP/IP port" type. Some programs stumble over that and automatically dump their job to LPT1 without any error checking. You could shove the networked printer into LPT1 and spoof the job into thinking LPT1 is still local instead of a networked device.)

I have never truly found something that properly conveys "gently caress printers". But this. This work around right loving here. This is why. It's either incredibly shoddy code that somebody was too lazy to QA or it's actually just the loving printer. GAH.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I've been on the phone with support for two hours.

The tech asked me "where do you go to see the installed printers?"

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

larchesdanrew posted:

Like, within the program that he's supposedly supporting?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Like, within the program that he's supposedly supporting?

Like, in XP

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

to be fair if he's a newer tech he might as well be asking how to free conventional memory by moving TSRs around.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Pshaw! QMM handles that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

To give him the benefit of doubt, maybe he wanted you to confirm that you're looking at the correct list of printers.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

nielsm posted:

To give him the benefit of doubt, maybe he wanted you to confirm that you're looking at the correct list of printers.

"Something I noticed is that it says '[printer] on N-E zero zero', whatever that means, but on the other computer it says '[printer] on N-E zero one.'"

He eventually gave up and said that it was probably a problem with the printer.

I ended up solving the issue on my own after he hung up, so :shrug:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

I ended up solving the issue on my own after he hung up, so :shrug:

Well?

Edit:
Is this the same problem we'd been discussing earlier?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

nielsm posted:

So... what was wrong? Don't leave us hanging, man!

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I'm on the edge of my rolling lumbar supporting seat here, man!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I have a Konica Minolta Bizhub 25 sitting in a designer's office. She wants me to remove a couple of old user emails form the user list in the printer. Easy enough. Go on the printer, hit delete, cannot delete data. OK that's weird. Log into the web interface, find the address book, remove user from it, does gently caress all and removes nothing. Uhhh...? Look online for solution. Find you cannot remove an entry from the address book if it is part of the favorites. Look up how to remove things from favorites list. Only documentation is for printers that aren't this one. Finally find old PDF for this printer. Doesn't say anything about removing from the address book or favorites list.

FFS I just want to start my lunch 45mins late. Can you PLEASE piss off with this until I get back. "No, it's annoying that the names are there when I never use them"

:fuckoff:

edit: I went for lunch anyways. You'll find I work much better when not hungry as poo poo.

ChubbyThePhat fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 1, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Well?

Edit:
Is this the same problem we'd been discussing earlier?

Yeah, same issue. I ended up removing the program and manually scouring the registry and file system for any vestiges. Then I just copied the loving driver store from a working machine.

I'm still not sure what was the cause, but that seemed to fix it

Exciting, I know.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 1, 2015

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Dick Trauma posted:

Pshaw! QMM handles that.

Ahem, QEMM. Piker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

larchesdanrew posted:

Yeah, same issue. I ended up removing the program and manually scouring the registry and file system for any vestiges. Then I just copied the loving driver store from a working machine.

I'm still not sure what was the cause, but that seemed to fix it

Exciting, I know.

And the world was just a little bit better.

• Locked thread