Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

chitoryu12 posted:

Not scares or good gameplay. Just history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88mz58SFm4Y

That game scared me when I was 12. I have to assume it scared someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jmcrofts posted:

October is almost upon us, and I am in dire need of scary games!

:spooky:Spooktober 2015:spooky:

Here is my list so far:
1. Soma
2. Layers of Fear
3. Stray Cat Crossing

Who's got more suggestions? PC preferred. Also I've already played Until Dawn.

Resident Evil REmake
Machine of Pigs
Scratches
The Cat Lady
Under a certain definition of horror, Heavy Rain
Condemned

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Resident Evil REmake
Machine of Pigs
Scratches
The Cat Lady
Under a certain definition of horror, Heavy Rain
Condemned

Already played both amnesias, heavy rain (lol), and condemned.

Thanks for the other recs, I've heard Scratches is a bad game, can anyone confirm? If the puzzles are stupid I'd rather just watch an LP probably.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jmcrofts posted:

Thanks for the other recs, I've heard Scratches is a bad game, can anyone confirm? If the puzzles are stupid I'd rather just watch an LP probably.

Scratches was pretty fun when I played it. It's a slow paced point-and-click game totally devoid of jump scares, so it relies entirely on atmosphere and story to get through. I was able to beat almost the whole game without a guide, so it's not really hard or stupid for the most part. The game is suspenseful horror rather than "Screaming face jumping out of a closet" horror.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Scratches was pretty fun when I played it. It's a slow paced point-and-click game totally devoid of jump scares, so it relies entirely on atmosphere and story to get through. I was able to beat almost the whole game without a guide, so it's not really hard or stupid for the most part. The game is suspenseful horror rather than "Screaming face jumping out of a closet" horror.

I did think the puzzles could be a bit esoteric at times, but compared to some point and click games it is at least a little internally consistent. There is a good LP on the Archive but you really lose a lot of the atmosphere with a SSLP

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Scratches is good.

Jmcrofts posted:

:spooky:Spooktober 2015:spooky:

Here is my list so far:
1. Soma
2. Layers of Fear
3. Stray Cat Crossing

How about Late Night Shop? I haven't played it and it's unfinished, but apparently pretty :spooky: if you are creeped out by mannequins.

Another that comes to mind is Lone Survivor. 2D pixel graphics which some might hate, but very atmospheric and Silent Hilly. Nice soundtrack too.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Jmcrofts posted:

I reaaally was not fond of Scratches. It does atmosphere pretty well, but several of the puzzles are of the "rub hammer on everything and hope for the best" variety and several times I found myself unsure how to proceed for a long period only to realize I was waiting on yet another dialogue trigger. It definitely tells a neat little story, but the "welp, I need a guide" kind of breaks it overall. Wouldn't recommend it, but if you're into that kind of thing you may like it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Skyscraper posted:

That game scared me when I was 12. I have to assume it scared someone else.

Scared the poo poo out of me and I don't think I even left the attic.

Now it just scares me with how bad it is. Instant-kills, dead ends that can leave you hosed, weird puzzles, and those graphics.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I wish there was walk through like the old fashioned flip book ones where you could get the solution for a puzzle and nothing else so you don't end up in a gamefaqs file reading "pull the switch then the MONSTER JUMPS YOU"

It would really be the best way to play Scratches and it's ilk

VVV I should note that as much as I like the Cat Lady the engine and story can be really janky. Just forewarning

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 30, 2015

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not a huge point and click guy, and Scratches doesn't really sound like my type of game so I think I'll skip it.

:spooky:Updated list:spooky:
1. Soma
2. Layers of Fear
3. Stray Cat Crossing
4. The Cat Lady
5. Resident Evil HD Remaster

E: I already played Lone Survivor as well. Also last October I played White Night, Machine for Pigs, Year Walk, Alien: Isolation, Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Outlast.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 30, 2015

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Jmcrofts posted:

I played Alien: Isolation quite recently and it owns bones.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Some possible suggestions: Evil Within, Dreadout (though it's pretty janky, you can probably find it for cheap), Revelations 2 (not entirely scary, but was still a fun 'horror' romp), and maybe Stasis?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
For :skeltal:Spooktober 2015:skeltal: I'm gunning to beat 1 spooky game(s) a week:

1. Walking Dead Season 2
2. Until Dawn
3. Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse
4. PT/ Outlast: Whistleblower/ Costume Quest 2

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Forewarning, last year Steam had a halloween sale with good deals on spooky games, may want to hold off for it if there is something you are actually purchasing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Does PSN ever do Halloween seasonal sales? I'm late to the PS3 game, and I'd love to stock up on the Fatal Frame games, Siren etc.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

I'm not a huge point and click guy, and Scratches doesn't really sound like my type of game so I think I'll skip it.

1. Soma
2. Layers of Fear
3. Stray Cat Crossing
4. The Cat Lady

E: I already played Lone Survivor as well. Also last October I played White Night, Machine for Pigs, Year Walk, Alien: Isolation, Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Outlast.

If you enjoyed Lone Survivor, I liked The Fall and The Last Door. Though if you don't like point and click... I need to catch up with the latest episodes for :spooky: Maybe check out Alan Wake and Dead Space (1) if you've never played them.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Jmcrofts posted:

I just picked up Dementium 2 HD for $0.99, you could try that. I haven't tried it yet, I hear it's... middling. It stands out more on the DS I hear.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's kinda funny how horror games mirror horror films in that so very few of them are any good and even the successful ones aren't really good horror.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

looks like Groovelord Neato's dreams have come true:

quote:

"Alien: Isolation 2 is not out of the question, because we're so proud of it and there's possibly more to be said. But do we really want to be spending very significant amounts of money, and getting close to break-even or just about in the black? That's not where Sega wants to be, when we have a brilliant portfolio of other games that do great business."

Jmcrofts posted:

1. Soma
2. Layers of Fear
3. Stray Cat Crossing
4. The Cat Lady

In addition to the others' suggestion, Kholat is supposed to be atmospheric but apparently not very good? but worth a try, The Uncle Who Works for Nintendo is short but p effective, Harvester is dumb af but memorable, and there are I guess the Typing of the Dead games

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

chitoryu12 posted:

Not scares or good gameplay. Just history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88mz58SFm4Y

Watching these videos made me look more fondly on Alone In The Dark 2008.

I mean it has nothing to do with Lovecraft, an overemphasis on combat, and lots of unintentional comedy. But all this is even more true of the sequels to AITD, and they weren't trying to be as wildly innovative as AITD 2008.

I mean AITD 2008 fell flat on its face at every turn, but goddamnit it was trying. It was the Rocky of games, if Rocky never won.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Watching these videos made me look more fondly on Alone In The Dark 2008.

That reminds me, I've been meaning to play Alone in the Dark 2008 for ages. What is the the best console to play it on, performance wise?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

For some SOMA help: how the gently caress am I supposed to deal with the diving suit monster at Tau? E. Never mind, just straight up tanked this hits til I found my way out

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 1, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Gann Jerrod posted:

That reminds me, I've been meaning to play Alone in the Dark 2008 for ages. What is the the best console to play it on, performance wise?
If I'm not mistaken the PS3 version is the best version of the game period.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Gann Jerrod posted:

PS3 because it's not completely broken. On the PC and 360 the only good thing I can say about it is that it has good music. The PS3 version got a lot of fixes and quality of life improvements that the other versions never got.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's kinda funny how horror games mirror horror films in that so very few of them are any good and even the successful ones aren't really good horror.

I'm with you on the first point, but not quite on the second. There are hybrids that blend horror and other genres together (e.g. Shaun of the Dead), and oddball, genre-defying cases that don't really fit but where else are you gonna put it (e.g. Antichrist, Beyond the Black Rainbow before that dumb slasher bullshit at the end), but there's a good number of purestrain horror things that are squarely in the "horror" category.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gann Jerrod posted:

Thirding, get it on the PS3. The PS3 edition was heavily revamped in terms of gameplay and bug fixes and is basically the definitive edition.

Honestly, it's not a bad game and I can't hate it. It's buggy and clunky (I played it on the 360 so I had it even worse) but it just tries really hard to make an immersive and unique experience. As someone who's spent over a month since 2008 in New York City and actually walked through Central Park late at night this summer, they captured the feel of its real life locations extremely well.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

DreamShipWrecked posted:

For some SOMA help: how the gently caress am I supposed to deal with the diving suit monster at Tau? E. Never mind, just straight up tanked this hits til I found my way out

I don't know the 'intended' way of dealing with it. I opened the airlock it was guarding, then tried hiding until it went away. Five minutes or more later I decided that if it wasn't going to go away I would just try a banzai charge. I ate a hit for it, but after getting up I was immediately able to get out of its range.

Some of the monster encounters in SOMA are really well designed. Some, like that one, stay around for long enough that they feel like obstacles rather than threats, and it really takes you out of the game. I'm not saying they should have been removed from the game, one of the parts that put me most on edge had a monster locked away in an area secluded from the rest of the map, but its screams made me pretty much walk on egg shells while perfectly safe. It didn't help that after escaping that portion there were a couple doors that were previously sealed tight suddenly partly open, with what looked like blood and mutated viscera the only thing visible behind them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That area, for future reference: There's a circle of rooms, just lead him in a circle and lock every door behind you on your way to the exit.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

In addition to the others' suggestion, Kholat is supposed to be atmospheric but apparently not very good? but worth a try

I just started playing it and it is atmospheric and weird. You need pen and paper handy to track coordinates that you find so you can discover stuff on the map. You have a map and compass but the only times you know your location on the map precisely is when you find these things, so you need to consult the compass fairly often.

It's a good one for headphones, and is more of a walking simulator than a puzzler. You're kind of chased by this weird creature and it can get you when you're looking at your map or reading a diary. Voice overs provided by Sean Bean if that appeals to you.

Competently made, but I don't see $20 in it. You would probably never play it more than once, but perhaps that's not unusual for this genre of game.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Uncanny Valley was a really interesting game with some spooky overtones, would recommend.

I bought Nevermind yesterday at the behest of a stream buddy, has anybody got any experience with it? From the trailer it looks like a walking sim but in dreamscapes, and it has a biofeedback gimmick which could be fun but probably won't be.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Long ago on a page far, far away...

Chev posted:

Speaking of MGSV, I was quite amused to find a radio airing the murder report from PT in one of the spooky sections of the game.

SirDrone posted:

I swear one day people are going to find PT hidden inside the game as a final gently caress you to Konami.

And now it seems a bit less crazy because though we don't know about PT, the rom of Portopia's been found in MGS5. :psyduck:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Speedball posted:

That area, for future reference: There's a circle of rooms, just lead him in a circle and lock every door behind you on your way to the exit.

I tried that, he just heard me closing the doors and opened them back up right after me. On the rare occasions that he didn't see me right away. Oh well

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Curious as to how well Layers of Fear and SOMA would work with the Vive. The controllers would make interactivity a lot more natural, and an immersive environment constantly changing / other Eternal Darkness -type shenanigans will probably turn out to be very unsettling in VR.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I tried that, he just heard me closing the doors and opened them back up right after me. On the rare occasions that he didn't see me right away. Oh well

That fucker opens doors with his mind. Which I guess is possible since he's all full of structure gel, but still.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Chev posted:

Long ago on a page far, far away...

And now it seems a bit less crazy because though we don't know about PT, the rom of Portopia's been found in MGS5. :psyduck:

I thought that was a misunderstanding based on using a bad copy of the MSX version and/or someone misinterpreting data that wasn't there? All that's confirmed is the "by Yuji Horii" loading screen as I understood it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

October already? I think that's when we do the

:spooky:RETURN OF THE 31 DAYS OF MOSTLY SPOOKY GAMES:spooky:

wherein I play and review 31 horror, Halloweeny, or just loosely creepy games over the course of the month. You might remember when I did it last year, starting halfway through the month and cramming something like 50 games in. That's not going to happen this time for a couple of reasons, but I'm doing 31 for sure. In fact, I kinda cheated and started in mid-September, mainly because I wanted to spend more time with each game than I did the first time round. I'll post one review a day, usually around this time but no promises.

I'm also going to post these on Steam as I do them this time and not, for example, all in the weeks leading up to next October. If you want to be my buddy on Steam you can find all the reviews I've done along with the thousands of screenshots I obsessively take for undiagnosed reasons.

So without further ado, let us begin this month of cheap thrills!

1. Knock-knock

Any game that claims to not be a game is throwing up a pretty big red flag right there. Knock-knock does that in the opening splash screen, and if anyone besides Ice-pick Lodge made it, I probably would have taken a pass on it. But the creators of Pathologic and The Void know what they're doing on that front, and the result is an intriguing little journey that definitely has its moments.

You take on the role of the Lodger, a wired little fellow that looks like Calvin ditched Hobbes and took up meth. Something odd is afoot in his isolated home in the woods, and if I get any more specific than that I'm bound to spoil something. Much like all of Ice-pick's games, the actual game is figuring out the rules of the game. You can turn lights in the house on and off, hide behind furniture, force open doors, and advance time with a strangely narcissistic clock. Ostensibly your goal is to survive until morning, but the house and its... inhabitants are randomized every other day, and on the other days you spend a chunk of it in the woods. Even the goals themselves get muddled as you progress, and the game is not afraid of throwing entirely new mechanics at you a few hours in.

Once you understand the pattern to the game, it can admittedly get pretty repetitive. New challenges are introduced the further into the game you get, but the core gameplay of lighting up rooms and wandering the woods does not change. One thing it does do well is introduce new threats over time, and some of them are absolutely terrifying despite the almost cartoony presentation. Information on the story comes from many different places, including the Lodger's diary, notes between days, and the Lodger himself, who talks in a charming nonsense Sims language. Most of the way through the game I'm still unclear on much of the rules and plot, but I admit it's fulfilled its original promise of "interactive meditation" and kept my attention. Definitely worth a look if you are at all curious, but be prepared for the mystery and horror to carry some rather bland gameplay.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Was Knock Knock the one with that had a kickstarter reward that was a customized version of the game that was for loving with a specific friend?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Does anyone remember that top-down horror game that I think is/was in Early Access, where you were trying to barricade and defend a house in the middle of the woods from unpleasant denizens of the night? It may have had points where you needed to go out into the woods, perhaps during day.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Morpheus posted:

Does anyone remember that top-down horror game that I think is/was in Early Access, where you were trying to barricade and defend a house in the middle of the woods from unpleasant denizens of the night? It may have had points where you needed to go out into the woods, perhaps during day.

Sounds kind of like Don't Starve maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Morpheus posted:

Might be Darkwood, though part of me feels like there was another one.