Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

nexus6 posted:

Yeah, I don't think it's the same Max in all the movies, otherwise the world went from the height of civilization to post-apocalytptic feudal era in what, a decade? Less?

How long would it have taken to construct the Citadel to the state we see it in Fury Road, complete with generations of indoctrinated War Boys, fully functional giant plumbing system etc etc? Unless the outback is already like that.

I wouldn't call Mad Max 1 the "height of civilization" - it looks like society is starting to crumble - but yeah, you're right. Even things like Furiosa referring to her childhood home as "the green place" and the dried-up ocean as "the salt flats" implies that she was never alive before the apocalypse. In fact, I think the only character who makes reference to pre-apocalypse life is one of the oldest Vulvalini?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Patattack posted:

I wouldn't call Mad Max 1 the "height of civilization" - it looks like society is starting to crumble - but yeah, you're right. Even things like Furiosa referring to her childhood home as "the green place" and the dried-up ocean as "the salt flats" implies that she was never alive before the apocalypse. In fact, I think the only character who makes reference to pre-apocalypse life is one of the oldest Vulvalini?

The videogame, which is set in a world kind of like Fury Road, makes it seem like the climate change stuff happened fairly quickly.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It's a clear James Bond type chronology, where this is different interpretations of the same character. Just like you don't need to build a timeline from Batman '66 -> The Dark Knight, there's no need to here.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

LeJackal posted:

George Miller has specifically stated that he never attempted to canonize and tightly bind everything together, so I guess you jumped to conclusions?

He means by fans I think rather than by the films themselves

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

nexus6 posted:

Yeah, I don't think it's the same Max in all the movies, otherwise the world went from the height of civilization to post-apocalyptic feudal era in what, a decade? Less?

I'd go with this, seems plausible to me.

nexus6 posted:

How long would it have taken to construct the Citadel to the state we see it in Fury Road, complete with generations of indoctrinated War Boys, fully functional giant plumbing system etc etc? Unless the outback is already like that.

Australia is pretty lovely :D

This raises an interesting point for me though, how much time has passed between the collapse of society and the establishing of the Citadel or Barter Town?
In Beyond Thunderdome aren't the kids the direct children of the airline crash survivors? The youngest of which is about 7 years old, but the kids have only a vague notion of cities and civilization. In the Road Warrior the Refinery settlers head for coast and set up the "Northern Tribe" I think, it's ambiguous whether Pappagallo has any memory of the pre war era. Fury Road, to me at least, suggests many decades had passed since the collapse or maybe there's the possibility that brutality and enslavement just comes easy to these people.

Here, have the grown up feral kid's narration from the opening of the Road Warrior, just because I like that film so much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW-RmVY2OkA

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

muscles like this? posted:

The videogame, which is set in a world kind of like Fury Road, makes it seem like the climate change stuff happened fairly quickly.

Well, I was more focusing on the terminology - "green place" instead of "forest", "salt flats" instead of "ocean" - implying that Furiosa had never lived in a world where plants and oceans were common.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm not sure it's actually true so much that people in movies think that it's true but it amounts to the same result.

I had a film analysis professor that got even more lit up by this than I do, and it drives me bonkers. It's absolutely not true that hearing "goodbye" in a film makes the audience tune out or stop paying attention. In the professor's words, "When a character tucks his kids in at night and says 'goodnight,' does the goddamn audience fall asleep?"

Yet it's so prevalent in movies and TV that when you actually hear someone complete a phone call with "Alrighty, see you then. You too. Buh-bye," it stands out like a sore thumb.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Alright, laters on the menjay!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Oh, one complaint about Mad Max for me was the blue-filter nights. Done right you can do a cool blue-filter thing to film nights during the day, but I just did not like it at all in Mad Max. It didn't read as "night" to me at all. At first I thought it was some kind of post-apocalyptic nuclear storm or something in the wake of the giant lightning storm they went through. It didn't feel like night either, there were visibility issues but it felt way more like fog than night time, the way the light fell off just didn't work to me. If anything it felt more like they were underwater than night time.

In that video it mentions that the blue-filter-night thing was pitched to the director at the last minute and they won him over, I kinda wish they hadn't. Oh well, its definitely personal choice, its nothing horrible.

Its interesting they also talked about how much they changed the color grading from the initial design and the first trailers to the final film, the contrast is way higher and there's a ton more color. I actually love the look of the color of the film (other than the "night" scene) except for the beginning Citadel scenes that look really badly blue/green screened because the colors of the actors don't match the lighting of the environment at all; they look like movie cut-outs or something. I wonder if that's because it was filmed to look one way and then they changed it but couldn't account for all the changes with the CG which was already rendered or something.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Patattack posted:

I wouldn't call Mad Max 1 the "height of civilization" - it looks like society is starting to crumble

Nah, that's just how small-town Australia always looks. :australia:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Either way, not the height of civilization.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
Movie characters do not say goodbye for the same reason they don't make small talk, are not shown traveling to and from locations unless something occurs during said travel, and are not shown going to the bathroom unless it's plot relevant or a gag: Because it's a waste of time and who loving cares I have 90 to 180 minutes to tell this story I'm not spending time to make conversations sound realistic because realistic conversations are loving boring

Go ahead, look at your phone, look at the average length of a phone call, even supposedly short ones. I bet they're at least 5 minutes long. Do you really want 5-8 minutes of a phone call in a movie? In an hour and a half long movie that's 5-10% of the screentime dedicated to a phone call just to make it realistic, when instead they can just chop it down to a 30 second to 1 minute relevant bit of information conveyance so they don't bore you to loving death with characters saying "Hi, hey. Yeah what's up. No, nothin. Hey can we - yeah I'm at home. Kids are fine. Hey look, can you do me a favor - plot stuff - alright thanks man. See ya. Yeah. Yeah alright. Appreciate it. Alright, later"

toxicsunset has a new favorite as of 21:07 on Sep 30, 2015

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

toxicsunset posted:

Movie characters do not say goodbye for the same reason they don't make small talk, are not shown traveling to and from locations unless something occurs during said travel, and are not shown going to the bathroom unless it's plot relevant or a gag: Because it's a waste of time and who loving cares I have 90 to 180 minutes to tell this story I'm not spending time to make conversations sound realistic because realistic conversations are loving boring

Go ahead, look at your phone, look at the average length of a phone call, even supposedly short ones. I bet they're at least 5 minutes long. Do you really want 5-8 minutes of a phone call in a movie? In an hour and a half long movie that's 5-10% of the screentime dedicated to a phone call just to make it realistic, when instead they can just chop it down to a 30 second to 1 minute relevant bit of information conveyance so they don't bore you to loving death with characters saying "Hi, hey. Yeah what's up. No, nothin. Hey can we - yeah I'm at home. Kids are fine. Hey look, can you do me a favor - plot stuff - alright thanks man. See ya. Yeah. Yeah alright. Appreciate it. Alright, later"

That one second used saying goodbye means one less second of transforming robots punching each other. How can you fit an entire narrative in that without that second?

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

kazil posted:

That one second used saying goodbye means one less second of transforming robots punching each other. How can you fit an entire narrative in that without that second?

It's all of those things though. It's not just goodbye. It's the cutting corners in every conversation and every interaction, the goodbye is just the one people get oddly bitchy about. Nobody bitches that characters conversations are always very focused, concise and rarely go off on tangents. Do you end your conversations with a lone "Goodbye" after the conversations over, or do you wind down ultimately leading to a few differently worded goodbyes like everyone else? A sharp, lone "goodbye" then hanging up would seem colder than just not saying it at all which can and does go unnoticed by most normal people.

There are lots of unusual things about the way characters in movies and TV shows behave that are solely for the benefit of time-saving, information conveying and just helping the viewer out. Do you often say a person's name before talking to them? Because characters do that all the time. You don't go up to your father and say "Dad, can I borrow your truck", both because he doesn't love you and also because you would just say "Can I borrow your truck tomorrow?" because real people don't need to re-establish character names or relationships for the sake of viewers

toxicsunset has a new favorite as of 21:42 on Sep 30, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
"You got the stuff for the heist? Cool, I'm on my way. See ya there." *click*

Boom. It takes all of one second and sounds like a way a real human being would conclude a phone call.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

"You got the stuff for the heist? Cool, I'm on my way. See ya there." *click*

Boom. It takes all of one second and sounds like a way a real human being would conclude a phone call.

You didn't say goodbye

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

toxicsunset posted:

You didn't say goodbye

Your mom didn't either when she left my apartment this morning

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
The basics of screenwriting say that words characters say should either convey information, move the story along, or both. Other words should not be used. It's that simple. Characters don't waste time closing doors, saying hello or goodbye, going to the bathroom, checking their phone, etc, because it's an interruption to the flow.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Your mom didn't either when she left my apartment this morning

She just left the money on the dresser

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
"Hey, Detective. LISTEN WE HAVE TEN MINUTES TO TRACK DOWN THIS WAREHOUSE OR ELSE THE LITTLE GIRL'S GOING TO DIE. I NEED YOU TO GET ME EVERYTHING YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS PSYCHOPATH ASAP. Alright. Talk to you later. Bye."

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
When terrorists call cell phones to make bombs go off do they say goodbye before hanging up?

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

When terrorists call cell phones to make bombs go off do they say goodbye before hanging up?

They should. It's just polite.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

IED-san is screening his calls :ohdear:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Evilreaver posted:

IED-san is screening his calls :ohdear:

I wonder if the brick phone would survive the explosion.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

toxicsunset posted:

The difference is that those things can safely be assumed to happen off-screen if they are necessary. With the end of a phone call that is being shown as part of the story, if it is something that is on the screen, in order to keep the storyline coherent they should include things that would happen on the screen. That is, if a character or scene is meant to be "believable". Also, as conversations might be between two people that are supposed to have some kind of relationship, this should also be reflected. You might as well have the characters not even picking up the phone and just announcing the relevant plot advancement going on like a robot...

I think the only real argument here should be as to whether this is a rational or irrational gripe. I think most British TV/movies manage to include people saying hi and bye, that extra one second is not a showstopper.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

toxicsunset posted:

Do you end your conversations with a lone "Goodbye" after the conversations over, or do you wind down ultimately leading to a few differently worded goodbyes like everyone else?
How long does it take to say "OK, see you then. Bye." or "Yeah, OK. Bye. Bye." because that's usually about how it goes.

toxicsunset posted:

Do you often say a person's name before talking to them?
Uh, yes? How else do you get their attention?

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Tiggum posted:

How long does it take to say "OK, see you then. Bye." or "Yeah, OK. Bye. Bye." because that's usually about how it goes.

Hail, Father.
Tell me about [dinner].

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

toxicsunset posted:

It's all of those things though. It's not just goodbye. It's the cutting corners in every conversation and every interaction, the goodbye is just the one people get oddly bitchy about. Nobody bitches that characters conversations are always very focused, concise and rarely go off on tangents. Do you end your conversations with a lone "Goodbye" after the conversations over, or do you wind down ultimately leading to a few differently worded goodbyes like everyone else? A sharp, lone "goodbye" then hanging up would seem colder than just not saying it at all which can and does go unnoticed by most normal people.

There are lots of unusual things about the way characters in movies and TV shows behave that are solely for the benefit of time-saving, information conveying and just helping the viewer out. Do you often say a person's name before talking to them? Because characters do that all the time. You don't go up to your father and say "Dad, can I borrow your truck", both because he doesn't love you and also because you would just say "Can I borrow your truck tomorrow?" because real people don't need to re-establish character names or relationships for the sake of viewers

Haha yeah movies are all lovingly crafted masterpieces where no word is out of place and there's no margin for error while telling a narrative *watches trailer for 8th Adam Sandler movie out this year*

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

toxicsunset posted:

"Hey, Detective. LISTEN WE HAVE TEN MINUTES TO TRACK DOWN THIS WAREHOUSE OR ELSE THE LITTLE GIRL'S GOING TO DIE. I NEED YOU TO GET ME EVERYTHING YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS PSYCHOPATH ASAP. Alright. Talk to you later. Bye."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6EIlKyIWWM&t=736s

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

toxicsunset posted:

Go ahead, look at your phone, look at the average length of a phone call, even supposedly short ones. I bet they're at least 5 minutes long.

I guess I'm just being efficient in a very German way, but most of my phone calls last about a minute and a half. And I even say stuff like "bye".

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

toxicsunset posted:

The basics of screenwriting say that words characters say should either convey information, move the story along, or both. Other words should not be used. It's that simple. Characters don't waste time closing doors, saying hello or goodbye, going to the bathroom, checking their phone, etc, because it's an interruption to the flow.

poo poo, there's something at bugs the hell out of me, right there.

A character walks into a house or apartment and just leaves the door open behind them. Were you born in a barn :argh:

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Tiggum posted:

You look at them when talking to them?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
And if they are sat/standing in a position where you can't get in their line of sight? Or they are in a different room?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

He picked an extremely bad example. People in movies will say each other's names multiple time in a one-on-one conversation

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I know my last post in this thread was also about Star Wars but I swear that I do watch other movies sometimes.

"This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was." - Yoda.

"He is too old. Yes. Too old to begin the training." - Yoda again.

" That boy is our last hope." - Obi Wan Kenobi.

Well, guys, not trying to point out holes in your brilliant 'Leave the last hope of the galaxy on a moisture farm" plan, but if proper Jedi training takes time and is best started young, why the hell didn't Obi Wan put the plan in motion years earlier?

He knew where Luke was, he knew where Yoda was, Yoda knew where Luke was and apparently what he was doing the whole time. What was the backup plan if Leia didn't stick the Death Star plans in a random passing droid who was able to escape capture because of the worst Imperial Officer in the entire series?

(I know even Family Guy made fun of the "No life signs" gunnery guy but geez.)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Henchman of Santa posted:

He picked an extremely bad example. People in movies will say each other's names multiple time in a one-on-one conversation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3ZB8FcVE2U

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Here's one that pops up in pretty much all forms of media: when a movie/book/show makes mention of both real and fictional public figures or places, like it can't decide whether or not it's based in the "real world" or not. I'm probably stating that badly, so here's some examples:

Friday Night Lights (the show) - Players talk about playing for Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Baylor (Art Briles is even mentioned by name once!), etc., but also bring up made-up schools like San Antonio State, Miami Southern and Oklahoma Southern in the same conversations.

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk (which is a novel) - Real life person Drew Henson is specifically referred to as the Cowboys' quarterback (as he was around the time the book is set), but everyone else with the organization is made up. I get wanting to avoid pissing off Jerry Jones, but why mention Henson at all if everyone else is made up?

Batman: Arkham Knight - There's a serial killer whose victims are taken from places like Little Rock, Arkansas and Albuquerque, New Mexico, which is important in finding the killer because he's part of a traveling circus, but we never really establish where Gotham is. I know it's obviously not near those places and there are comics that have given it a location before, but I think it's weird that Little Rock exists in the same universe as Metropolis for some reaosn.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

kinmik posted:

Some eagle-eyed viewer saw that Max's bloodbag info tattooed on his back said he was 12045 days, so that would make him about 33. My gripe with that is, if he had fulfilled that particular role further along the line, would they have had to update that information? Unless they just keep the date they found him and made him a bloodbag.

I need to rewatch it again, but did the tattoo actually have identifying information? I kinda thought it was just a generic drivers license tattoo to go along with the whole car cult worship.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Henchman of Santa posted:

Batman: Arkham Knight - There's a serial killer whose victims are taken from places like Little Rock, Arkansas and Albuquerque, New Mexico, which is important in finding the killer because he's part of a traveling circus, but we never really establish where Gotham is. I know it's obviously not near those places and there are comics that have given it a location before, but I think it's weird that Little Rock exists in the same universe as Metropolis for some reaosn.

The DC and Marvel earths are basically the same as ours except with more cities, which is weird because the cities are often modeled off of existing ones so it's like there's New York and then there's Gotham, which is basically New York except without the cool statue but Batman instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

darkhand posted:

I need to rewatch it again, but did the tattoo actually have identifying information? I kinda thought it was just a generic drivers license tattoo to go along with the whole car cult worship.
Identifies his blood type, estimated age in days, where he was captured, some notes about what he had when captured, and some notes on his general health.