Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

gay picnic defence posted:

Martin obviously there to provide assurance that coke is sufficiently plentiful in Melbourne.

So long as Choco Williams stays at the club, I would be comfortable with the Tigers picking up Bennell. From everything I've read/heard, his influence on Dusty has been enormous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

thepokey posted:

If the Herald Sun don't want the Eagles to win and are trying to incite anti-Eagles stuff, then that makes me want the Eagles to win even more. For this week only I bleed blue and gold! Their ex coach will be our coach soon, their ex player will be our assistant coach, I like Jack Darling's ninja flips, and our teams have plenty to bond over with talk of drugs. So I'm practically an Eagles support now anyways! I need to embrace this new found Eagles love and live the life. So today on the way to uni I'm going to boo at that dog that always barks at me and scares the poo poo out of me when it nearly jumps the fence.
You also share a love of waving jackets after games!

So basically The Hun's rampant campaigning here is working just as well here as it did for Tony Abbott.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

When Roos said we were committed to bringing in an A grade mid, Ben Kennedy and Jake Melksham weren't exactly what sprung to mind.

He's played 25 games over three years and averages 12 disposals and 2 tackles.

He's started as the sub in 12 of his 25 games so it's hard to judge him on disposal average. I've really been wanting Bucks to get some full games into him because he really does show a lot of promise.

Edit: I mean, you're right that he's not an A grade whose going to immediately lift you guys up a notch, I'm just saying if you don't give up too much for him he could be a handy get.

tnimark fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 1, 2015

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Periphery posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR3K5cgRQVQ

I've only watch 20min but it seems pretty good so far. I don't know if it'll stay up on youtube for long though.

Its in a few different places on Youtube so it might be a case of whack-a-mole.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I want West Coast to beat Hawthorn by the same margin Hawthorn beat the Crows by.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Solemn Sloth posted:

Port want Toumpas. Straight swap for Wines right? Was a higher pick in their draft year!

we'll take a first round and let us never mention him again

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

snaeksikn posted:

we'll take a first round and let us never mention him again

I'd agree to never talk about toumpas again if we got a first round for him somehow.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
I was thinking earlier - if West Coast win on Saturday is is akin to the Hawks win of 2008? Seemingly pinching a GF win a couple of years before the team would honestly be expected to be contending?

I think everyone who looks at WC thinks they've got a good team but wasn't expecting them to be this good this quickly?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Someone said that a bunch of WCE players are having the best year of their careers and that is pretty true whether by happy chance or by Adam Simpson being a wizard. You would think with the age of the list - priddis is 30, but mostly mid low 20s, next year they would only get better. But form is a funny thing.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-01/worsfold-to-coach-essendon-in-2016

quote:

JOHN Worsfold will be the next coach of Essendon.

The Bombers are understood to have settled on the 2006 West Coast premiership coach as James Hird's permanent replacement and are poised to make an announcement in the coming days.

Worsfold has long been the favourite to win the job after warming to a return to coaching and AFL.com.au understands he has beaten a small field of candidates after a final round of discussions.

The Bombers have denied their decision is made but AFL.com.au understands Worsfold and the club only had to finalise terms this week.

Former Western Bulldogs coach Brendon McCartney and Collingwood assistant Scott Burns were reportedly among the final three candidates and still in the frame earlier this week.

On Monday night Worsfold said the Bombers' process was drawing to a close and he was excited about the prospect of taking the reins after two seasons out of senior coaching.

His role as director of coaching at Adelaide in the second half of this season, following the death of close friend Phil Walsh, reignited his passion for coaching.

Speaking to Fox Footy he suggested he was hungry to return to coaching.

"There have certainly been some assumptions about where I am coming from, but those assumptions have been made without really talking to me," he said.

"The selection panel has had the chance to listen to me first-hand."

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Negligent posted:

Someone said that a bunch of WCE players are having the best year of their careers and that is pretty true whether by happy chance or by Adam Simpson being a wizard. You would think with the age of the list - priddis is 30, but mostly mid low 20s, next year they would only get better. But form is a funny thing.

plus the eagles are looking at getting jetta and redden in the off season

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
"The West Coast Eagles are extremely disappointed by the content, timing and publication of some unsubstantiated claims by former player Daniel Chick in a Melbourne newspaper today.

The club was not contacted to provide any balance to the article and strongly refutes the allegations in that story.

The club and its medical staff are deeply offended by these allegations and will discuss internally an appropriate course of action.

When the club faced some challenges with its playing group a decade ago, it took steps to address those issues. It voluntarily undertook its own investigation, the AFL also initiated an independent investigation (by Victorian Supreme Court Judge Bill Gillard) and neither revealed the issues and allegations raised by Daniel in this story, all of which are strongly refuted.

The club is now recognised as a leader in the area of player welfare and integrity in the country.   

Our current playing group and coaching staff will not be distracted as they embark on the challenge of winning the club’s fourth premiership at the MCG on Saturday.     

There will be no further comment on this matter."

Basically, gently caress off Rita, gently caress off Chick.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

pkid posted:

I was thinking earlier - if West Coast win on Saturday is is akin to the Hawks win of 2008? Seemingly pinching a GF win a couple of years before the team would honestly be expected to be contending?

I think everyone who looks at WC thinks they've got a good team but wasn't expecting them to be this good this quickly?

Here is a list of pre-season predictions from afl.com.au: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-30/did-we-get-it-right-a-look-back-at-aflcomaus-season-predictions

No one had West Coast in their top eight, let alone making the grand final. I was hopeful that we would make the finals, finish in the 5-8 area, then give top four a crack next year. I'm still pinching myself that we're in the GF.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Doctor Cave posted:

Here is a list of pre-season predictions from afl.com.au: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-30/did-we-get-it-right-a-look-back-at-aflcomaus-season-predictions

No one had West Coast in their top eight, let alone making the grand final. I was hopeful that we would make the finals, finish in the 5-8 area, then give top four a crack next year. I'm still pinching myself that we're in the GF.

All but one of those predicted the Saints to get the spoon this year. Eat poo poo you hacks.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

All but one of those predicted the Saints to get the spoon this year. Eat poo poo you hacks.

to be fair, wooden spoon and finishing below melbourne have become almost synonymous.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Periphery posted:

Just about any serious judge of footy would have had the Saints last I reckon

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

I thought WCE were contenders for the spoon, and I'm an Eagles fan. I thought our midfield was that bad.

Shows what I know :v:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Doctor Cave posted:

Well, last year they had an OK record but everyone was all sort of "yeah, flat track bullies" although I reckoned they'd make the finals, if not making the grand final. Footscray making the grade was a bigger surprise to me.

Port were the team that people thought would give it a shake this year, along with Hawthorn, Sydney and Freo. Anyway I'd expect those guys to bounce back next year, especially if they do some strategic trading.

We really don't know how West Coast will handle the MCG, so they might come out and beat Hawthorn at their own game, or they might get cut to ribbons. They are a pretty adaptable team though so I doubt the latter will happen.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

North were rated a top 5 side by most people and they made it to the last 4 the hard way because norf

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Shmoses posted:

Just about any serious judge of footy would have had the Saints last I reckon

Any serious judge of footy should have been able to see how injury plagued we were last year and surmised that with another year of being coached to a plan and a host of our recruits gaining another year of development that we would be more competitive.

Remember you had morons like David King and Dermot fuckwad Brereton stating that we would "win no games this year" despite that never ever having occurred from what I can tell (Certainly not in the modern game) so I cant exactly trust these "judges".

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

pkid posted:

That was 2012.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I think most people (quite rightfully) felt West Coast would be very ho hum this year. A very good forward line, an ok but fragile backline, and a very mediocre midfield was the general outlook at the beginning of 2012. Then all your backs went down and you lost 2 of 3 at the start of the year, one to the Bulldogs who were regarded as a bad side missing their best mid.

Then all those earlyish draft picks from 5 years ago suddenly came good, Wellingham remembered how to play and Natinui became a real ruckman.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Carlisle's manager gave an interview today, only mentioned Carlton & St Kilda as destinations. Safe bet is that Carlisle bombed in his interview with Beveridge.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Has anyone seen realbez since the weekend?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

When your choices are Carlton and St kilda you must ask yourself where you went wrong in life

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

David Kings solution for the Dangerfield situation is for Adelaide to let the trade go through with the understanding that Geelong would make a trade above market value to Adelaide in return.

Because doing underhanded and illegal trade deals has served Adelaide so well in the past. Cheers Kingy.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Negligent posted:

When your choices are Carlton and St kilda you must ask yourself where you went wrong in life

You do realize we made a number of grand finals and a lot of final series in the last decade and are on the rising part of a rebuild right?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

and hes probably going to pull 700-800k a season at those clubs

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Yeah, I would definitely go with St. Kilda, they should be in the finals again in the next couple of years.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

hiddenmovement posted:

I think most people (quite rightfully) felt West Coast would be very ho hum this year. A very good forward line, an ok but fragile backline, and a very mediocre midfield was the general outlook at the beginning of 2012. Then all your backs went down and you lost 2 of 3 at the start of the year, one to the Bulldogs who were regarded as a bad side missing their best mid.

Then all those earlyish draft picks from 5 years ago suddenly came good, Wellingham remembered how to play and Natinui became a real ruckman.

Yeah I basically thought way too many blokes had to improve for them to do anything and then they all did. Naitanui's improvement didn't surprise me though, it was his first full pre-season in forever

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

David Kings solution for the Dangerfield situation is for Adelaide to let the trade go through with the understanding that Geelong would make a trade above market value to Adelaide in return.

Because doing underhanded and illegal trade deals has served Adelaide so well in the past. Cheers Kingy.

King's idea also lets Geelong get Dangerfield for just a 1st round downgrade and a player, if memory serves, and that's totally a deal Adelaide are going to find acceptable

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

hartung dropped for gunston so schoenmakers keeps his spot. the hawks will be lining up with a tall side

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

snaeksikn posted:

hartung dropped for gunston so schoenmakers keeps his spot. the hawks will be lining up with a tall side
The thinking must be that WC's short backline is exposable but that hasn't worked all year. I suspect they're trying to get Schoenmakers a flag which is always dangerous thinking

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

wonder if they get stuck with lake or frawley in the forward line again

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Testekill posted:

Carlisle's manager gave an interview today, only mentioned Carlton & St Kilda as destinations. Safe bet is that Carlisle bombed in his interview with Beveridge.

I don't think he even met with Beveridge, the Dogs got jack of his attitude and pulled out without speaking, this was from yesterday

quote:

Beveridge has confirmed they still haven't spoken to Carlisle, indicating his management is more interested in talking about money than the opportunity the Dogs may have for him.

"Sometimes the cart gets put before the horse and when really the conversation and the chat about the person should be the thing that happens first," Beveridge has told SEN.

"If that's what you're up against that you can't get a look in before you've got a reasonable price, than that's the way it is. I'm not comfortable with it."

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Shmoses posted:

The thinking must be that WC's short backline is exposable but that hasn't worked all year. I suspect they're trying to get Schoenmakers a flag which is always dangerous thinking
Yeah, I'm a bit ehhhhh about this, I think Hartung's run would've been more useful in the crunch than whatever it is that Schoey does.

Buuut, I will say this, Schoenmakers could've very easily been traded at the end of last season with the idea that he would get more games elsewhere, but he was stupid mad keen to stay and has put in the work through the year, so I think he has earned his place. But sometimes I worry. I worry when he gets the ball that he's going to do something stupid with it, but Spangher was a bit like that too but he worked out OK too.

In a pinch we can throw him up back and give Frawley or someone a run around at the front too.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
On the train:

Small child, maybe 6 years old: Mummy who do you want to win the Grand Final?

Mother: oh, I don't know...West Coast I guess

Child: I want West Coast to win too because Hawthorn have too many and Luke Hodge is a poo

This is a wonderful child, wise beyond her years!

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

first half of the Norf game makes me worried for the Eagles that a big choke is on the cards. couple of quick Hawks goals in the first term and it could be all over before its even started. Hope Adam Simpson has some wizardry up his sleeve in terms of mental prep. the thing they have going for them is an underdog mentality which they didnt have as favourites against norf.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Frawley paying $101 to win the Norm Smith, get on it, he's gonna pull a Lake. Destroy Kennedy.

I put a dollar on. I have faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
The Eagles didn't choke against North. North played extremely well with a gamestyle that perfectly suited their advantages around the stoppages. North have big strong mids and a ruckman that physically monstered Nic Nat.

The trouble was as the game wore on that became harder and harder to maintain, and once the match opened up the Eagles were able to use their speed and vastly superior footskills to blow them bits. Which is not to say West Coast cannot choke, merely that they didn't against North.

• Locked thread