Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

PLAYED: Agarest: Generations of War. Yep, this one was a waste of time and money.

COMPLETED: Champion of the Gods. Another CYOA text adventure from Choice of Games. The story was a little short on substance, but it was still light-years ahead of the Heroes Rise games. That said I'm not buying anything from Choice of Games until they implement an Undo button. Which will be shortly after hell freezes over, given the company head of Choice has some weird moral stance against putting that option in their games.

COMPLETED: Hero of the Kingdom. I'm not sure what genre this game is. Hidden Object? Feather-light RPG? Point-and-click adventure? Whatever it is, it's chill and relaxing. Its extremely simple gameplay is actually one of its biggest strengths. You should all play this game.

COMPLETED: Sakura Fantasy: Chapter I. A visual novel that keeps hinting at a plot instead of actually delivering one. The characters tended toward cliche with only a couple moments of actual interest. Despite this, I am interested in picking up Chapter II if it ever gets made.

COMPLETED: Panzer Corps: Wehrmacht. It's mostly a straight remake of the old 90s wargame Panzer General. I got Russia to surrender in 1941, followed by the UK in 1942; didn't manage to get the US, they chose to sign a peace treaty at that point. I played it for 161 hours, so obviously I loved it, but despite it's gameplay improvements it's actually of lesser quality than old PG. I'm still annoyed that they cut the North African campaign from the main game so they could sell it as DLC.

COMPLETED: Transistor. It's basically more Bastion. Which isn't a bad thing; I loved Transistor enough to get 100% achievements, but I could never shake the feeling that I'd played this game before; Transistor never really develops an identity of its own. Bastion and Transistor are basically the same game, just that Bastion has a better plot and Transistor has better gameplay. Choose whichever appeals to you.

Next up: I've got a lot of games in my backlog, but since I finished Transistor I've put another 33 hours into Crusader Kings II help i cant stop playing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
COMPLETED 100% - Desktop Dungeons. Finished VGT. All vicious dungeons complete. All puzzles complete. All quests complete. All bronze, silver & gold challenges done. All achivements except Masochist. Really big fan of this game--might end up starting over on a new file, or even doing an LP.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I finished a second Steam Alphabet run. Here's a dump of the titles I played through.

BEAT!
Assassin's Creed 2
Bastion
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Dead Space
EDGE
Far Cry 2
Grand Theft Auto IV - Episodes from Liberty City
Hotline Miami
Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
No J!
No K!
Legend of Grimrock
Max Payne 2
No N!
One Way Heroics
Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands
No Q!
Red Factioni Armageddon
Shatter
Typing of the Dead Overkill
No U!
No V!
Witcher
No X!
Ys Origins
Ziggurat

Nulled Along the Way (and why)
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dream is really pretty but the gameplay doesn't change from start to finish. Finished three worlds and put it down.
Half Life 2: Episode 2 - Mostly nulled out of depressed resignation over Half Life 3.
Just Cause 2 - Game just wouldn't cooperate with my computer.
Prince of Persia Warrior Within/Two Thrones - Major compatibility problems.
Prince of Persia 2008 - Game boils down to collecting items to unlock areas to collect items. Got about halfway through and realized I didn't feel like spending another dozen hours doing that.
Star Wars KotOR 2 / Republic Commando - Bugs, bugs, bugs. Half the textures in Republic Commando wouldn't load, and the sound of opening a box got stuck on loop any time I did anything in KotOR 2. Got frustrated trying to make it work and gave up.
Viking: Battle for Asgard - I don't even remember trying this, that's how good it was.
Viscera Cleanup Detail: Shadow Warrior - Dicked around for ten minutes and felt I'd seen enough.
Volgarr the Viking - I might actually come back to this, but when I was trying it my fun:frustration ratio wasn't quite worth it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Fifteen of Many posted:

Half Life 2: Episode 2 - Mostly nulled out of depressed resignation over Half Life 3.
Good lord. I just realized it's been EIGHT YEARS since Episode 2. :sigh:

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Good lord. I just realized it's been EIGHT YEARS since Episode 2. :sigh:

Yeah, next year we'll be further away from Episode 2 than Episode 2 is from the original.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Completed: Wolfenstein The Old Blood

This game is the prologue to The New Order. The game play is essentially the same at the first, you run around gibbing Nazis all over the place. The perk system remains intact from the first game although I found it sort of buggy. I would unlock a perk but it actually wouldn't doing anything like adding more health or extra ammunition for a weapon. Overall it is a solid shooter and if you enjoyed The New Order you will enjoy The Old Blood.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Alright, got a lot of free time now that I'm done with school and don't have a job yet. Time to finish some games!

Yesterday: Played all three acts of Kentucky Route Zero. Not really sure I understood what happened most of the time, but I loved the atmosphere and sound design. Shut off all the lights in my room and immersed myself completely. Very nice.

Today: Ended up buying Undertale, even though I have too many games already as it is. Gonna load up on some Coke, make a pizza and hopefully finish it in one session. That's how I prefer to play single players games (that are not 10+ hrs long, obvz).

Tomorrow: Shovel Knight. Been putting this off for a while as I hate playing platformers with my 360-controller. However, I just installed some drivers so I can use my PS3-controller on my PC either over USB or Bluetooth so now I'm all set! Played a few hours of this already and I really like it. These kinda games make me mad as hell tho so we'll see.

Near future: Dark Souls 2 (finished 1st one on PS3 several times, love it. Hated playing 2 with a 360-controller. Not anymore baby!), Company of Heroes, eventually more Binding of Isaac when the DLC's out 30th oct.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Completed: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Not much I can say here that hasn't been said already. Yes, the game has problems. It shits all over canon, the few female characters exist only to serve up some cheap motivation by dying, the orcs are way more interesting than either of the main characters, and the DLC skins are implemented in the laziest possible way. Despite that, it is fun as hell and the perfect length to be satsifying without overstaying its welcome. Seamlessly blends action and stealth, delightfully open-ended missions, a great combat system, and the Nemesis system is, as everyone has pointed out, fantastic.

I kind of threw out the whole "game alphabet" idea over the last few weeks, but I think I'll get back into it now. Maybe I'll do full-alphabet reports afterwards like Fifteen of Many is doing. Next is N, so I'll probably play Nosferatu: Wrath of Malachi next. I'm not sure why it's in my library and I don't know anything about it, so it will be an adventure!

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I finished up a few good games and then went to work on the backlog again.

Nulled: 10 Second Ninja
Never been a fan of time limits or hardcore platformers, so this was easy to null, as you have to do each level in 10 seconds or less.

Finished: 12 Labours of Hercules
This is a perfect time waster! I've had it for quite a while and it was only when someone, either here or in the regular Steam thread, mentioned that it was actually a fun casual time/resource management game, that I decided to give it a go. It's been a while since I 100%'ed a game, but I actually made an effort to hit all goals. Looking forward to the two sequels!

Nulled: 18 Wheels of Steel: American Long Haul
It was probably a good game 10 years ago, but with Euro Truck Sim 2 on the market, why even bother.

Nulled: 1953 - KGB Unleashed
I thought it was a 1st person adventure, but it's a weird panorama picture view and you can then "move" between the locations while playing an adventure game. The mechanic totally put me off.

Nulled: 1954: Alcatraz
Being 1 year better than the last one, and a change of location from beneath the Kremlin to an island outside of San Francisco, didn't help my mood.
3D adventure game from Daedalic, fully voiced and looking pretty competent, but I have kinda lost interest in playing adventure games.

Nulled: 199X
I refuse to spend time on a game running in 320*200 resolution and with an UI that was necessary back in the NES days due to screen estate and memory limitations.
Not to speak of the retarded stories all, and yes I mean ALL, games made with RPG maker have. At least some of these games have cards.

Finished/Nulled: 3SwitchedD
This game consist of 7 or 8 different variations on Match 3, all with no clear goal and basically endless. At least until you mess up and need to restart.
It's not a bad game if you are a fan of the genre, but it's starting to show its age.

Nulled: 500 Years Act 1
I have several friends with kids in the Kindergarden age range. They all make better drawings than the graphics in this turd, which I believe is a mix between babbys first RPG, a slightly modified version of MOAI's Asteroid clone and a literal turd.

Nulled: 7 Grand Steps, Step 1: What Ancients Begat
This is a really strange game. There's a lot of text, something about getting two adults to hump so you can move into the Bronze age and leveling up your skills in brewing alcohol... I think.

Nulled: 7 Wonders of the Ancient World
I have really enjoyed the 7 Wonders series in the past. It's usually a solid Match 3 game series, but this one was really rough. It might be the first in the series, and I just couldn't keep being interested in this.

Nulled: 7,62 Hard Life
An enhanced version of the strategy game, 7,62 High Calibre, that I didn't enjoy. I simply just skipped this one.

Nulled: A-men
A mobile puzzle platformer that I never got further than level 1 before uninstalling. I'm crossing my fingers that A-men 2 will be A LOT better.

Nulled: A-Train 8
It's a train and city sim. Build your own railroads in your own city :toot: :toot:

Nulled: Aaru's Awakening
Pretty good looking puzzle platformer. Had some OK mechanics and while I enjoyed the regular levels, as soon as I came to a boss fight, I just had to uninstall because that's just not my jam. Platformer boss fights are the worst.

Nulled: Abduction AAction! Plus
Bad, like really bad, ufo abduction game.

Nulled: Aces Wild: Manic Brawling Action!
OK, it's official: I'm old. My hands hurt like poo poo after not even finishing the first level. I simply can't play games like these anymore, that rely on you punching gamepad buttons like a mad man.

Nulled: Advent
See 199X

Nulled: Aero's Quest
Crashed when starting the game, then gave me an achievement.

Nulled: After The End: The Harvest
See 199X

Finished: Left in the Dark: No One on Board
It's an Artifex Mundi Hidden Object/Adventure-lite game. It's what I play after a hard day at the office...

Finished/Nulled: Let's Explore The Farm/The Jungle (Junior Field Trips)
These two were part of the Humongous Entertainment bundle from a while back.
If I had a small kid, I would definitely sit down and play this with the kid. Lots of fantastic handmade animations and plenty of voice work (English only) makes these really good small kids games.

Finished: Mad Max
This is the best driving and punching game I have ever played!
Melee was just about right for me, as I have always disliked having to learn 25 different moves using the same 2-3 keys. I always end up with light and heavy hit or kick and perhaps a special take down move, and that's it. And that's exactly how melee combat in Mad Max works.
Driving is fantastic. Even the lovely cars can be fun to ride, and none of them feel like they are made of soap, sliding over a wet shower floor while being rammed from behind by War Boys.
I really hope the driving feels the same in Just Cause 3, by the same developer, even though JC3 is all about the whip and parachute.

Finished: Party Hard
Tactical Hotline Miami? A really fun but slower top-down game where you have to take down big parties, and that means not cutting the power, but killing each and every party goer.

Finished: Time Mysteries: Inheritance
Yet another Hidden Object Game. Oh My!

Nulled: Undertale
Goon favourite among the cool kids, which just proves I'm not one of the cool kids, as it did absolutely nothing for me.
Another lazy RPG Maker game, decent chip tunes, awful sound effects when text is written and as with other RPG Maker games, a lovely story that is neither "cute" nor "funny". I guess it's ironically popular in the same way My Little Pony and anime shows meant for 7 year old are popular among 16-25 year old?

Currently Playing
Thief: Pretty drat good game despite what most goons are saying, but somehow I'm not really surprised :)

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Please don't accuse people of only liking undertale ironically in the same post where you say how much you're looking forward to the sequels of 12 labors of hercules. It makes me uneasy.

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
Hercules is totally legit though, I happen to have played it recently too.

New 100% achievement games

Selknam Defense - A weird short tactical tower defense game. It has themes of imperialism or the plight of Aative Americans or something. Only one or two levels offered a remote challenge.

10 Second Ninja - Pretty fun! Meatboy style time attack platformer where you have a few extra ninja tools at your disposal, objective of each stage is to break the targets as quickly as possible. The hardest achievements were time attacks over multiple stages and devising efficient strategies was enjoyable.

Epic Battle Fantasy 4 - Terrible 14 year old garbage humour hides a pretty good turn based RPG. There's a heavy emphasis on things like status effects and turn order. 100% required 3 total runthroughs, one on the hardest difficulty, and you really have to think hard and scrape through by the skin of your teeth. Some of the bosses could easily burn through 30+ revive items. I definitely recommend giving it a shot sometime because everyone will almost certainly have written it off as bundle trash. If you can stomach the writing then keep at it.

Cubemen - More tower defense. All achievements were super easy apart from a massive grindy sloggy "kill a billion dudes" one. Thankfully the user generated content had some useful maps to alleviate it a little.

METAL SLUG DEFENSE - Weird game. It's like Swords and Soldiers where you buy units who run along their path until they run into gunfire and die for you. It's originally a mobile F2P game with an energy system, which definitely sucks bad, but you can hop in for half an hour a day and do what you gotta do. I finished it without spending a penny quite easily.

Final Fantasy XIII - Wow what a terrible game. The story is incomprehensible mainly because concepts and motives aren't introduced properly. Who is Lindzei? I don't know, they seem super important but you hear the name literally once in the main game and then there's one or two more references if you go digging in the datalog. People say it opens up at the 60% mark but they are liars. All that happens is that instead of a corridor, you get a big open area with 64 super tedious hunting quests scattered throughout it. Why couldn't they have just made it like the monster arena from FFX? Why do I have to haul my way to the mission giver, then haul my way to the target, then go searching for the next mission every time? And if you don't get a 5* ranking, you gotta spend 5 minutes going all the way back to the mission giver again. Once you're bored of doing that you can play the last 40% of the game, which is more corridors.

Tap Heroes - An idle/clicker game that you can actually finish quite quickly. The final achievement was to kill a lot of monsters which required a week of idling.

The Walking Dead - I bought the DLC sometime and got around to playing it. It was fine, I guess, everyone knows about this game already.

Feel-A-Maze - Some bundle fodder. You move your mouse through mazes, try not to hit the walls or moving obstacles, finish in target time. 100% in like an hour.

Fingered - Nobody even mentioned this game when in the Steam thread when it came out, even though it's an Edmund McMillen game and they're usually pretty high quality. Odd game where you're in charge of a police lineup and have to use witness statements to identify the culprit. The witnesses clues get more and more bizarre as time goes on, and the lineups are full of weirdos from the beginning. Once you learn how to interpret each witness' clues the game becomes a breeze and there's not much replay value to it.

Data Hacker: Initiation - It's the .hack MMO concept but in RPG maker this time. This is a 2 part game where each part shares the same internal achievement list, but each one has a more or less duplicated set of achievements on Steam. This meant that to get 100% Steam achievements in part one I had to do some crazy grinding to get the gold and experience levels that you're not supposed to get until you reach the endgame of part two. On the plus side, it meant that when I imported my save to part two I instantly unlocked 90% of those achievements. 2 for 1! The story is not bad and I intend to play part 2 but I might leave it a little while. There's also a standalone third game that's supposed to be a lot more technically advanced, I'll do that eventually too. The developer is a nice guy and fixed some bugs for me :)

12 Labours of Hercules - Time management game where you have a few servants and need to dispatch them to objectives in an efficient manner, because Hercules is too lazy to do it himself. It's basically a super chill click-on-stuff game, over in a few hours, not too hard, brilliant, definitely give it a shot.

Momodora III - This game is great! I haven't been so pleasantly surprised by a game in a long time. It's a quick 30 minute start-to-finish action game with some heavy cave story influences. It controls well, looks absolutely beautiful, easy mode is super easy to the point where you can just tank any boss attacks and mash attack until they die. Has a nice mysterious story and a few fun achievements to wrap up when you've finished the main stuff.

The Binding of Isaac - The original. I played this when it first came out and only did a couple of runs, I remember being put off by having to do repeated runs to unlock the later levels. I think you had to do 10 successful runs to unlock The Womb or something? I found it really easy and doing that seemed like a slog so I put it down. I came back to it because I want to 100% all Edmund McMillen games and I enjoyed it a bit more with the wrath of the lamb expansion. I still think it's waaaay easier than people let on, because even in the newly added hard mode I completed each run through to The Chest with like a 60% completion rate. Does anyone know if there are any very similar games like this out there, not including the remake? I'll get to the remake eventually, but it's not in my steam library yet.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 - Yeah NepNep! Uh, it's not a great game overall, but I get the feeling that it's hitting its target demographic dead on. You can unlock an easy mode modifier early on which I always appreciate. I was dreading the grind to level 99 and then to 100million credits but in total those together only took 3 or 4 hours.

MURDERED: SOUL SUSPECT - A surprise hit for me, you play as a spooky ghost investigating his own murder. You run around buildings phasing through walls and looking for clues. Most of the achievements were for collecting things, which required video walkthroughs, which I hate because YouTube is usually blocked where I live and there's no way I'm going back to the dark days of text directions for hidden items. The core gameplay loop was a lot of fun though and I'd like to see more game like this.

12 Labours of Hercules II: The Cretan Bull - Not as good as the first but still solid. The main drawback is that now there is an achievement for beating developer scores 10 times on the hardest difficulty, so it's no longer a chill casual game and more a frustrating planning game. This game also introduces more puzzle-y type levels that don't try to have realistic layouts in the way that the first game did, but instead just lay things out in ways that are interesting from a gameplay perspective. I have this third game in my library but I probably won't touch it for a bit.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Lavatein posted:

The Binding of Isaac - The original. I played this when it first came out and only did a couple of runs, I remember being put off by having to do repeated runs to unlock the later levels. I think you had to do 10 successful runs to unlock The Womb or something? I found it really easy and doing that seemed like a slog so I put it down. I came back to it because I want to 100% all Edmund McMillen games and I enjoyed it a bit more with the wrath of the lamb expansion. I still think it's waaaay easier than people let on, because even in the newly added hard mode I completed each run through to The Chest with like a 60% completion rate. Does anyone know if there are any very similar games like this out there, not including the remake? I'll get to the remake eventually, but it's not in my steam library yet.

I think Our Darker Purpose is quite similar to tBoI. I've only played the early demo for it though, when its kickstarter campaign launched, so I don't know how addictive or what its replay value is.
Also, Paranautical Activity plays essentially like a first person Binding of Isaac.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

No Such Thing posted:

Please don't accuse people of only liking undertale ironically in the same post where you say how much you're looking forward to the sequels of 12 labors of hercules. It makes me uneasy.
I genuinly like casual games and I'm old enough to admit it without hiding behind internet irony v:shobon:v

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Fart of Presto posted:

I genuinly like casual games and I'm old enough to admit it without hiding behind internet irony v:shobon:v

Exactly, and it's fine that you have that taste, but it's a little mean spirited to accuse this behavior in others.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Accusing anyone of only liking something "ironically" is pretty dumb, please don't do it.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Our Darker Purpose isn't as fun as either Isaac game unfortunately.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Fart of Presto posted:

I guess it's ironically popular in the same way My Little Pony and anime shows meant for 7 year old are popular among 16-25 year old?

The Colonel posted:

Accusing anyone of only liking something "ironically" is pretty dumb, please don't do it.
True! Don't accuse anyone if you don't have proof :):hf::)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Someone could argue you play HOGs ironically even if you say you don't, mr fart

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Quest For Glory II posted:

Someone could argue you play HOGs ironically even if you say you don't, mr fart
They can argue all they want, it won't stop me playing HOG and Match-3 games, just as I'm not trying to make people stop playing games like 199X and Undertale.
I just find it amusing that people are fawning over something like Undertale. As I wrote, people have called it cute and funny and I just didn't see any of that, so I mentioned that I guess they like it ironically, especially since we are here on SA, where a lot of the sub forums thrive on that kind of humor.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

well you guessed wrong buster!!!! *kicks u off the seesaw*

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lavatein posted:

Does anyone know if there are any very similar games like this out there, not including the remake? I'll get to the remake eventually, but it's not in my steam library yet.

Nuclear Throne (early access) is shaping up to be pretty top notch. I also enjoy Teleglitch which I think is more skill intensive than Isaac as it's about situation awareness and resource management more than powering up your character. I've also heard good things about Crawl which is in early access. One player is the hero and the others are ghosts that can activate traps or control monsters to fight the hero.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fart of Presto posted:

True! Don't accuse anyone if you don't have proof :):hf::)
The point they're trying to make is "it's kinda lovely to belittle people who like something that you don't like, and you'd think you'd know this by now considering how many people give you grief for your own game tastes".

I mean, unless you're just trolling, Presto, because Undertale fans are super easy to troll.

...I guess I just included myself in that group. Anyways, for content:

Completed: Undertale Basically just OFF again with a different battle system and raised by Earthbound, but it does it so stylishly that I can't help but love it, and the final bosses of each ending route are a lot of fun. This is what should happen when you steal ideas from an old free game and polish it up. Also the music is fantastic. Even when it's just ripping off OFF. Toby Fox's main career as an audio guy really shows through.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 5, 2015

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Hoping I'm not hurting anyone's delicate feelings with this next batch of games.

Finished: 7 Wonders: Magical Mystery Tour
Classic Match-3 that I enjoyed both ironical and non-ironical (OK, I'll stop now)

Finished: 9 Clues 2: The Ward
Another Hidden Object game from Artifex Mundi which means decent graphics, OK voice work and female protagonist, though this time she's actually bossing around a male partner and not saving her kid. Thumbs up!

Nulled: A-Men 2
It didn't get any better than the first. Still a puzzle platformer but you are now able to control more than one character.

Nulled: Abyss Raiders: Uncharted
Some kind of shooter/Tower Defense game. You can run around and shoot the aliens and pick up stuff while also use zones to get special abilities and place turrets. Perhaps I just wasn't up for a TD game when I tried it, but it really felt meh.

Nulled: Adventure Park
Build and manage your own adventure park in this sim game.
It had a decent tutorial and an OK interface, that even I could get a Pirate themed park up and running without too many unhappy customers. Only unhappy one, was the guy who had to clean the toilets, but that's understandable.

Nulled: Agapan
I couldn't get it to run but seeing it's an RPG Maker game, I'm pretty sure I'm not missing out on anything.

Nulled: Agricultural Simulator 2011: Extended Edition
The Extended Edition consist of the developer removing any kind of timing, so you run around like Speedy Gonzales, bumping into things and getting thrown up in the air. Then driving your tractor at snails pace. There might be some sim/management thing going on too, but I had enough of the game when getting stuck in the tractor.

Nulled: Air Conflict: Pacific Carriers
A WW2 arcade "flight sim"/action game. I'm guessing you have to fight the Japanese forces, but I never got to finish the tutorial, as the game wouldn't let me past the torpedo training. No matter how slow I flew, 1-2 meters above the waves, almost hitting my target with the plane before releasing the torpedo, it kept saying torpedo lost or missed, without letting me know what I did wrong.
Dive bombing and dog fighting seemed fun enough though. Definitely not a serious sim game, otherwise I wouldn't even have gotten the plane off the carrier.

Nulled: Air Guardians
Arcade dog fighting in futuristic planes. Escort missions too! Really low budget, especially as you can hear the developers doing voice work and they should not pursue that particular career.

Nulled: Airport Madness: Time Machine
A casual airport controller sim, now with old planes. Didn't hold my interest more than a couple of missions through.

Nulled: Alice's Mom's Rescue
Old school style platformer. Not my kind of thing.

Nulled: Alien Breed: Impact
Isometric/top down shooter. Just the same is in AB2 (and probably AB3), it's a very pretty shooter but one thing I seem to remember is not present in AB2, is the shaking and rattling of the screen all the time, to show that you are on a spaceship that is breaking apart. Really annoying gimmick.

Nulled: Alpha Runner
A very minimalistic platformer for the speedrun crowd. Procedural generated levels, and main character too, which was a cute feature.

Nulled: Anna - Extended Edition
Well both the extended and regular version demanded that I register and log into an account at the developer/publisher, before playing this single player first person horror game. No thanks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fart of Presto posted:

Nulled: Anna - Extended Edition
Well both the extended and regular version demanded that I register and log into an account at the developer/publisher, before playing this single player first person horror game. No thanks.

Uh no? What are you playing for real and do you look at these things for longer than 2 minutes?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

al-azad posted:

Uh no? What are you playing for real and do you look at these things for longer than 2 minutes?
Yeah it does actually, even for the Steam version, you have to create a Kalypso account.

e: as for the game itself, I did play through it, but had to lean on a walkthrough pretty heavily. It's got some real obtuse puzzles going on. There were great moments of horror and some pretty well executed concepts though.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 8, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Yeah it does actually, even for the Steam version, you have to create a Kalypso account.

e: as for the game itself, I did play through it, but had to lean on a walkthrough pretty heavily. It's got some real obtuse puzzles going on. There were great moments of horror and some pretty well executed concepts though.

I didn't do this at all so unless they patched this in the Steam version within the last 2 years I don't know what to say.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

al-azad posted:

I didn't do this at all so unless they patched this in the Steam version within the last 2 years I don't know what to say.
It was probably added with the Extended edition? I'm not downloading it again to find out but I definitely had to create an account and log in to install it, this was about a year ago.

e: the Steam page mentions it, I bet it was added with the Extended edition release

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 8, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Based on the recent review bombs I'm going to say it's a recent change because I absolutely played the Extended edition and went straight to a new game.

It sucks because I enjoyed the game and can recommend it to people looking for something a little different. The puzzles can be Adventure Game Obtuse but it's basically "What if Gone Home was the horror game everyone wanted it to be?" gently caress these publishers for turning people away from a game you could play fine for the past 3 years. Steam itself is DRM I shouldn't have to do anything outside of the platform. People are just going to crack the .exe so what does this solve?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Yeah it's nuts and makes even less sense given the low price point of the game, it seems like a really misguided publisher decision.

Anyway yeah I think I might have read your review of it in the horror game megathread. It didn't work for me but people should definitely check it out if it sounds interesting, I respect that it tried to do something different with horror and adventure, because those two things in games are my jam.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

al-azad posted:

As RightClickSaveAs also said, you definitely need to log on, and whenever you just click Continue, the launcher shows an error message telling you that you need to enter credentials.
I also tried adding some dummy data, but it still wanted a real account.
Sure, if I really wanted to play this game, I could just have created an account, but it honestly feels like BS that the publisher is forcing me to do this, on a single player game with no leaderboards or anything that could justify a centralized account system, like eg. pinball games.

As for the time I spend on games, it really depends on the game itself.
If the game has a tutorial level, I always try to at least go through that.
If I'm not a big fan of the genre, it needs to wow me immediately, otherwise I'll lose interest within anything from 5 to 30 minutes. The wow factor can be anything from music, presentation, graphics, general game play or simply just controls or a gimmick that I enjoy.
But generally I give a game 10-20 minutes and if it hasn't caught my attention by then, I uninstall it.

I honestly try and play each and every game I have, and of the 694 games I have blacklisted/nulled so far, according to Steam Completionist, only a handful have not been installed.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

For whatever reason Kalypso has gone completely bonkers this year and retroactively added this uPlay rear end nonsense to their old games which is a shame because their catalog has some neat titles I don't want to bother recommending anymore.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nulled: Nosferatu: Wrath of Malachi

I was going to say that this game has a cool concept but hasn't aged well, but then I looked it up and found out that it came out in 2003, not 1998 as I originally assumed based on, well, everything. So this is a game that had already aged poorly when it was released.

The gimmick is that the overall castle layout remains the same, but the position of the various rooms (including the people you need to save) changes with each game. Which actually works pretty well, but to get anything out of it you need to replay the game multiple times. And with quicksave and quickload, it doesn't seem that they're expecting you to clear the whole thing in one life, roguelike-style.

The problem is the, well, everything else. There's no configuration (you change screen resolution by downloading a hacked version of the game from WSGF). It's aggressively grey-brown. The models are on par with Half-Life for poly count -- the original one, not the HD pack or the sequel -- but use fixed-frame animation at a rate of something like 4fps, making them look even worse (it's worth noting that everyone else discarded fixed-frame in favour of skeletal animation back in the 90s). The physics are glitchy and so is the AI pathfinding. And there's a lovely, ugly film grain filter over the whole thing that can't be turned off.

If you want a good gothic horror FPS, play Undying, which predates this by two years and looks and plays much better.

Now Playing: One Finger Death Punch

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Now Playing: Borderlands 2 and Frozen Cortex.

Playing a Mechromancer in BL2 because why the hell would anyone play anything else? Only level 13, but I'm having more fun than I did with BL1 (which I never finished), even though I'm playing solo.

The Fight For Your Life mechanic is still a great invention and really lets you play a glass cannon sort of character without feeling like you're playing wrong.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Background: One Finger Death Punch

It's fun, it successfully pulls off "action game using only two buttons" and it plays like a game based on those old Stickdeath or XiaoXiao videos from the dawn of Flash. But there's not a lot of variation in levels and it is loving long. This is staying installed as my go-to game when I want to kill five minutes, but I'm not going to block other games on it.

Nulled: Freedom Planet (laptop game)

It's Sonic the HedgehogDragon 3 & Knucklessome sidekick whose name I don't remember, basically.

This originally started out as a Sonic fangame before the developers decided to file all the serial numbers off and release it as an independent game in its own right. And they've been generally successful, too. Its origins are very obvious, but it has enough differences from S3K to be more than just a reskinned level pack for it. There's also a "skip all the cutscenes" game mode, which I appreciate because the storyline just isn't that interesting. Or good. Everyone's fighting over the totally-not-the-Master-Emerald again, basically.

It's not bad, but it is long enough that I ran out of interest before running out of game. Compared to other platformers I've recently played, I'd put it above Shantae: Risky's Revenge but below Strider.

Now Playing: Puzzle Agent

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 11, 2015

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Completed - Batman: Arkham Knight: Like a handful of players, I hated the batmobile so much. That having been said, a pretty good finish to the trilogy. (Even if it was just Red Hood and not some brand new villain as claimed) I actually did all the side missions, which is something I did not do in Arkham City, so it had me hooked long enough to do that.

Edit (since it's the same page still):

Beat - South Park: The Stick of Truth: Put this one one on the back-burner for awhile, but finally got back to it. A hilarious game if not the most challenging (outside of the Al Gore fight).

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 19, 2015

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Finished: The Walking Dead Season Two

I agree with most people that it wasn't as strong as the first season but overall I did enjoy. Only paid around $6 for it so it is well worth at the sale price of you enjoyed the first season. Will work on The Wolf Among Us or Tales From the Borderlands next.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Null: One Finger Death Punch

Now that I've put it down, I find that I have no desire to pick it back up again. It's fun for a bit, but way longer than "a bit". Two things that occurred to me that might give it a bit more staying power are a replay mode, so you can actually see all the cool moves rather than focusing on the indicators at the bottom of the screen, and more varied battlefields with some verticality to them. But even that wouldn't be enough for how long the game wants to be, I think.

Null: Qbeh-1: The Atlas Cube

Meh. Too much platformer, not enough puzzler. It reminds me of both Cloudbuilt and Antichamber, which is a bad move because both of those games were much better.

Now Playing: Remember Me

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Is there a tool out there that will order my games by Time to Complete, or at least a site that logs the average completion time for games? I've got a too-big backlog and I want to knock off some quick ones to build momentum.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Shab posted:

Is there a tool out there that will order my games by Time to Complete, or at least a site that logs the average completion time for games? I've got a too-big backlog and I want to knock off some quick ones to build momentum.

Check out http://howlongtobeat.com/

There might be a better way to do what you're describing but I know the information is there at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Breadallelogram posted:

Check out http://howlongtobeat.com/

There might be a better way to do what you're describing but I know the information is there at least.

That works, thanks!