Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And does that make them bad necessarily?

Of course not. Doesn't mean I would want to trade in the look of series 5-8 for a few more episodes. There is enough Doctor Who out there to last you a lifetime. What difference do a few episodes make?

quote:

For one thing, it's not a scenario I've constructed. For another, "Money people are fired by new boss, series runs overbudget causing issues, old money people get asked back again" doesn't really leave that much wiggle room.

There's no real information out there on where the overspend was, it may not even have been directly related to anything that happened on screen. It doesn't look good on Moffat, though, nor does his shouting "You are erased from Doctor Who" to publicly fire Caroline Skinner, his third executive producer.

I checked on wikipedia (I know, great research, right?), and it seems like Vampires of Venice was probably pretty expensive, and so was creating "the largest set ever built" at its location for The Pandorica Opens. That's pretty ambitious. A lot more ambitious than having Tennant and John Simm shout at each other from across a parking lot. New logo, new actors, new sets, new writers, new producers. Moffat made so many crazy, radical decisions, how is it even possible to tell what made the difference.

Maybe they just drew the same conclusions you did regardless of the actual circumstances. Or Moffat felt bad for being so overly dramatic. I wasn't there. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

And More posted:

There is enough Doctor Who out there to last you a lifetime.

There really isn't :v:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There really isn't :v:

:stare: Good grief, you're insatiable. Twelve more episodes wouldn't sustain you either.

And More fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 1, 2015

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

As I said before, I'm not really that into the revival. Send me a tenner and I promise to not watch any more episodes this series

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Sorry, you'll just have to suffer through your tax-paid entertainment like the rest of us. :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

And More posted:

Sorry, you'll just have to suffer through your tax-paid entertainment like the rest of us. :v:

It's not tax paid

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It would be nice to have names and sources for all this behind the scenes stuff- not that I don't believe the story but it feels incomplete.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's not tax paid

The TV licence fee is a tax.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

It would be nice to have names and sources for all this behind the scenes stuff- not that I don't believe the story but it feels incomplete.

They don't tend to air dirty laundry like that.

The only reason we know about the most public part of the whole nonsense was because it was...well in public. That was the "You are erased from Doctor Who" nonsense.

Would be nice though, if only to get all of the facts.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Burkion posted:

The only reason we know about the most public part of the whole nonsense was because it was...well in public. That was the "You are erased from Doctor Who" nonsense.

I don't really get this part. What does she have to do with Moffat's gently caress up? Skinner was executive producer on series 7. Was she supposed to save that series somehow after Moffat had screwed up producing series 5?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

And More posted:

I don't really get this part. What does she have to do with Moffat's gently caress up? Skinner was executive producer on series 7. Was she supposed to save that series somehow after Moffat had screwed up producing series 5?

It's because they were loving .

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

And More posted:

Series 1-4 just mostly look like trash.
Compared to other TV series of those years? Or compared to the show now?
Admittedly it's been at least a year since I watched 1&2 again but I recall them being pretty decent.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cerv posted:

Admittedly it's been at least a year since I watched 1&2 again but I recall them being pretty decent.

I know the weird lighting in the first few seasons doesn't do the show any favours, visually speaking. The sort of lighting that gives everyone a waxy sheen, and makes everything look a bit cheap.

I suppose the CGI is ropey, and really hasn't aged well, but to be fair, it's a sci-fi adventure on a budget, and they use practical non-CGI methods when they can. And on a more personal level, if I can get over a monster made of bubble wrap, I can get over a badly CGI'd shitfest, though the latter lacks the charm of the former.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I love that weird lighting! Series 1 looks like it was made to air on the Sci-Fi network and that's a big part of its charm for me.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Also, series 1-4 were filmed on videotape, I believe, so that contributes a certain look and feel to it as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HD DAD posted:

Also, series 1-4 were filmed on videotape, I believe, so that contributes a certain look and feel to it as well.

I hope they're better stored than past years masters :ohdear:.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly the RTD seasons never looked that bad to me. They were pretty much on par with their contemporaries- Doctor Who has never had a super sky high budget or anything, so expecting that is kind of ridiculous.

Seasons 5 to now look more polished, but mostly because of better equipment.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I watched Rose again for the first time in ages recently because a friend of mine was interested in trying some Who, and the day before had mentioned he didn't like mannequins. It's.. not aged well. The weird Vaseline lens takes some getting used to.

We also watched Eleventh Hour, and he enjoyed that immensely.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

PriorMarcus posted:

It's because they were loving .

Seems like Moffat can't stop shagging producers.

Cerv posted:

Compared to other TV series of those years? Or compared to the show now?

I don't really have a point of reference in that regard. The Lost Room, maybe? A lot of it comes down to the lighting.

The bad CGI really only bothers me in the more recent series since most of that stuff just seems superfluous. I mean, just look at this poo poo:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

And More posted:

Seems like Moffat can't stop shagging producers.

I don't really have a point of reference in that regard. The Lost Room, maybe? A lot of it comes down to the lighting.

The bad CGI really only bothers me in the more recent series since most of that stuff just seems superfluous. I mean, just look at this poo poo:

Holy crap, someone other than me who's seen The Lost Room :eyepop:.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Holy crap, someone other than me who's seen The Lost Room :eyepop:.

:hfive: That show's got some serious lighting. And the acting. And the special effects. :allears:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I watched Rose again for the first time in ages recently because a friend of mine was interested in trying some Who, and the day before had mentioned he didn't like mannequins. It's.. not aged well. The weird Vaseline lens takes some getting used to.

Part of it is deliberate - it was made to look like other prime time television programmes, rather than a science fiction story, in order to draw in the kind of people who wouldn't ordinarily want to watch it.

Part of it was that Keith Boak was a moron.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Part of it is deliberate - it was made to look like other prime time television programmes, rather than a science fiction story, in order to draw in the kind of people who wouldn't ordinarily want to watch it.

Part of it was that Keith Boak was a moron.

Be fair.

Most of it was because Keith Boak was a moron.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

BIG DOCTOR WHO NEWS COMING

I think it's that you can play Colony Sarff in Doctor Who Game Maker

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

"It's bigger than that, Karela, it's large" to quote Creature from the Pit

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The collector got guilted into giving up that ep3?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

The collector got guilted into giving up that ep3?

It's according to the BBC Doctor Who twitter account so it's probably a new episode of Doctor Who Confidential or something.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If they just announced that they had all of the Second Doctor's era back and restored, they could drop the mic and I would forgive so much

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's the return of the Terileptils :getin:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Creature from the Pit is like you took the comedy bits from The Stones of Blood and The Androids of Tara and removed the serious bits and then had it script edited by Douglas Adams. Which is pretty much exactly what happened.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Burkion posted:

They don't tend to air dirty laundry like that.

But then, how do we even know about the 'two people who were responsible for getting the show done' bit? What are their names? Who fired them?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Astroman posted:

It got better. :colbert:

They missed a golden opportunity. "I see you've done up the planet. I don't like it."

Kikka posted:

Also, talking about favorite Cybermen, mine is the one that gives the Doctor a badass shoulder massage.

The correct answer is always Handles. :colbert:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

BIG DOCTOR WHO NEWS COMING

I think it's that you can play Colony Sarff in Doctor Who Game Maker

Probably new companion announcement.

So am I the only one who was a little disappointed that we didn't see Davros start to actually regenerate? The second 12 started to grab the cable I was thinking "Goddamn it, now Davros is gonna grow new legs and start shooting sparks everywhere."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So am I the only one who was a little disappointed that we didn't see Davros start to actually regenerate? The second 12 started to grab the cable I was thinking "Goddamn it, now Davros is gonna grow new legs and start shooting sparks everywhere."

It was poorly executed in explaining it, but I got the impression that the "regeneration" was just intended to renew Davros' old and tired body (ironically, this was the original intended interpretation of Hartnell to Troughton) to give him a little more life. The Doctor intended it to spark him up enough to see the sun rise one last time before he died, Davros intended it to revitalize his ancient body AND to allow the Daleks to overcome their bodies eventual breakdown into that still living goop in the sewer (they have eternal life but not eternal youth), as opposed to actually completely physically regenerating them into new forms.

It's one of the reasons that I don't think the show should be playing around so casually with regeneration energy, because it kinda becomes a catch-all to do anything you want, as well as being easily misinterpreted as to the effects of what is meant to be happening in any given situation.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 1, 2015

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Just like the sonic screwdriver.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dabir posted:

Just like the sonic screwdriver.

I actually almost wrote that myself, it's the first thing that came to mind - introduced to do a specific thing, then suddenly it's basically a magic device that does everything.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

Ensign_Ricky posted:

The correct answer is always Handles. :colbert:

WHAT?! *cant hear through helmet, keeps shaking Tom like a big bully*

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

But then, how do we even know about the 'two people who were responsible for getting the show done' bit? What are their names? Who fired them?

Here you go, a period article.

quote:

Private Eye states however that delays and budget issues have emenated from executive producer Piers Wenger, who has now stepped down from BBC Wales head of drama, and then left the BBC to work for Film4, and that it was the dismissal of previous producers Tracie Simpson and Peter Bennett by Wenger and fellow exec producer Beth Willis that caused some of the delays and chaos – and who refused to return to work for the pair when the jobs were offered back to them, working on their own show Baker Boys featuring a number of recent Who alumni.

Simpson and Bennett learned how you Get poo poo Done through working closely with Phil Collinson, the original day-to-day producer; Simpson was production manager and Bennett was first AD.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/953c5b1f-3cc8-4db9-8184-f1b6567260f1

quote:

BBC Three announces Doctor Who Spin Off

BBC Three today announces Class - a new 8 x 45 minute Doctor Who spin off from the acclaimed YA author, Patrick Ness. Class is a YA series set in contemporary London. Incredible dangers are breaking through the walls of time and space, and with darkness coming, London is unprotected. With all the action, heart and adrenalin of the best YA fiction (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Hunger Games), this is Coal Hill School and Doctor Who like you’ve never seen them before.

Welp. That's a thing i guess?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It's apparently a spin-off set in Coal Hill school. Called Class. From the "acclaimed YA author, Patrick Ness", whoever he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Hahah, gently caress off person who runs that Twitter account.

• Locked thread