Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hte '95 was way better than the '05

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Beast of Bourbon posted:

maybe if we can make the usurious loan undischargeable... yes...i like where this is going.

are uber drivers allowed to put ads on the outside of their cars? or the insides??!?!!

dunno but they've been doing it anyway, advertising their own businesses to riders

one guy loaded his car with a bunch of jewelry and precious gems as a "moving showroom" for his jewelry business, so he could show his riders examples and try to sell them on particular pieces right there in the car

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

these things were like $25-40k brand new, but they're starting to get old enough to be total beaters

it's really funny to see a rusted out van with its doors chained shut through holes in the sheet metal, and a mercedes logo on the grill

p.s. they are actually mercedes vans with freightliner/dodge logos taped on

ive never seen one with even but a dent on it

you must live in saltwater country or something

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Main Paineframe posted:

dunno but they've been doing it anyway, advertising their own businesses to riders

one guy loaded his car with a bunch of jewelry and precious gems as a "moving showroom" for his jewelry business, so he could show his riders examples and try to sell them on particular pieces right there in the car

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Main Paineframe posted:

quickly! summon the blingmobile

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Main Paineframe posted:

jewelry "business"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sniep posted:

ive never seen one with even but a dent on it

you must live in saltwater country or something

the beautiful american rust belt

modern cars take a lot longer to start rusting than 1980s and 1990s vehicles did. but they all end up the same way.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

i mean i'm hella conflicted though because on the one hand it's the rare startup not run by white male bros but on the other hand it's a really bad idea

If white feminism had a website it would be this.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

i mean i'm hella conflicted though because on the one hand it's the rare startup not run by white male bros but on the other hand it's a really bad idea

it's a startup based on cattiness, run by women

gee how do you think they convinced VCs to give them money

no stereotype threat there, no sir!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

White Feminism :stonkhat:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gee how do you think they convinced VCs to give them money

they didn't

f&f seed round, right?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the beautiful american rust belt

modern cars take a lot longer to start rusting than 1980s and 1990s vehicles did. but they all end up the same way.

at that point it just basically makes zero sense to buy a car, then.... just lease forever perpetually, right?

like what's the point of buying a car that's going to turn rusted out by 10th birthday... just keep turning in 2 year leased cars and re-leasing a new one

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

they didn't

f&f seed round, right?

$7.6M valuation, so probably not just f&f

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Captain Foo posted:

:rip: the chevy astro

easily one of the best vans and better in dirt beige with chill captains chairs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one of my college buddies had an astro and it was the perfect vehicle for dumb adolescent hijinks

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Virion posted:

easily one of the best vans and better in dirt beige with chill captains chairs

the '95 was a red van

it was ballin'

then it got caught in a flood and was dubbed the red october

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
almost same, one of my college buddies parents bought a brand new Grand Caravan or whatever that had a table in it and 4 captains chairs but the dad refused to drive it or something so they gave it to my friend.

it was loving amazing. no one tickets a caravan, and having a table in there with built in cupholders was ridic.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

http://www.buzzfeed.com/williamalden/soylent-has-a-dream-to-be-the-red-bull-of-video-gaming#.udqmJ340z

This would-be future food, Soylent, is a bland-tasting blend of carbohydrates, protein, vitamins, and other nutrients that has been around for about two years now, gaining devotees among techies who don’t have the time or the desire to eat food.
Big-name investors have put millions into the Los Angeles–based company. But Soylent, the brainchild of a 27-year-old software engineer named Rob Rhinehart, remains a little too weird even for many of the white-collar geeks it wants to reach. Now, the company is betting that major league video gaming, or e-sports — a global industry with a fast-growing and passionate fan base — will be its ticket to more widespread adoption.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol

In September, Soylent signed a sponsorship deal with the Electronic Sports League, which runs events including ESL One, the tournament being held this weekend in New York. The deal represents the biggest item in Soylent’s marketing budget this year, with the company paying between $100,000 and $300,000 — executives wouldn’t get more specific than that — to sponsor ESL One. Soylent will have its logo plastered over the event and the online broadcasts beaming the fantasy battle arena game Dota 2 to millions of fans. Soylent has also agreed to sponsor an upcoming pro season of the popular first-person shooter Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.

Soylent was inspired by a recent visit to the Santa Monica campus of Red Bull, the energy drink maker whose original films and athlete sponsorships have made it synonymous with extreme sports. Soylent hopes to become a major patron of feats of computerized daring, and has considered sponsoring an e-sports team, executives told BuzzFeed News. Once it completes an office expansion, the executives said, Soylent wants to invite professional video gamers to train in a special gaming room, which, of course, will include plenty of free Soylent. In its own small, quirky way, this food-hacking startup with a name from science fiction wants to be the Red Bull of competitive video gaming.

Rhinehart’s weird habits have made him into something of a nerd folk hero. He doesn’t do laundry, for example. Instead, he kills microbes in his clothing with a UV Sterilizer, a process he repeats a few times before donating the shirts and underwear and buying new ones. “If I was doing a full load of wash it would be more efficient, but since I have very little clothing and would only be washing a few pieces at a time it actually is more energy and water efficient to have new ones manufactured,” he told BuzzFeed News in an email. He also has a pet pig.

And, of course, Rhinehart is into video games. Soylent employees regularly blow off steam by playing games like Counter-Strike in the office gaming room. Rhinehart used to play StarCraft and dabbles in League of Legends. About a month ago, he took a nasty spill while riding a hoverboard around the office — the two-wheeled kind, favored by Wiz Khalifa — and broke his ankle. “I botched the dismount,” he said. With a medical boot on his foot, he posted up for a while in a hammock in the office, near an oversize bottle of Soylent 2.0.

“I like the fact that in e-sports,” Rhinehart said, “no one gets hurt.”

While professional video gamers follow training regimens and watch what they eat, casual fans tend not to care as much about food. Still, Soylent is appealing to gamers’ minds over their stomachs. “You wouldn’t treat your laptop — like, you wouldn’t leave a slice of pizza on it. And you wouldn’t treat your body in the same way,” Miles said. Soylent, he said, “definitely will power you a lot more efficiently than eating half a Little Caesars Hot-N-Ready pizza before you go play.”

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the Red Bull of competitive video gaming.

we already have one of those. it's called Red Bull http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/11/24/good-game

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hmm i have a better link for this one sec

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Who would want to league with someone who doesn't believe in washing clothes

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

god dammit. i can't find the Urban Beardsman Red Bull Cyber Athlete now.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

spoke too soon: here he is http://www.urbanbeardsman.com/2014/04/michael-flamesword-chaves/

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

idg why they don't sell it as a weight loss diet, that's a crowd desperate for easy answers and totally willing to make themselves unhappy for a couple months

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

qirex posted:

idg why they don't sell it as a weight loss diet, that's a crowd desperate for easy answers and totally willing to make themselves unhappy for a couple months

those are actually regulated since now you're making a claim (this product is effective at causing weight loss) as opposed to just saying "this is edible"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

While professional video gamers follow training regimens and watch what they eat, casual fans tend not to care as much about food. Still, Soylent is appealing to gamers’ minds over their stomachs. “You wouldn’t treat your laptop — like, you wouldn’t leave a slice of pizza on it. And you wouldn’t treat your body in the same way,” Miles said. Soylent, he said, “definitely will power you a lot more efficiently than eating half a Little Caesars Hot-N-Ready pizza before you go play.”

i hate that i live in a future where someone can say this without breaking out laughing midway

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

qirex posted:

I'm pretty sure that the same people who want to lose weight are the same people who don't want to use a product that can cause "horse killing farts"

quote:

It was bad. These weren't mere ha-ha toot kinds of emissions; this was hair-raising. It was room-clearing, horse-killing, World War I mustard gas-type gas. I migrated from room to room in the house like I was giving up territory to the Kaiser, my face fixed in an expression of horror as green hell-fumes trailed behind me, peeling paint and wilting plants. My wife, bless her heart, said nothing. At some point, I made my way back to the computer and pulled up the e-mail correspondence between Soylent founder Rob Rhinehart and me.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Soylent: Not Quite As lovely As Hot-N-Ready Pizza

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Pinterest Mom posted:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/williamalden/soylent-has-a-dream-to-be-the-red-bull-of-video-gaming#.udqmJ340z

This would-be future food, Soylent, is a bland-tasting blend of carbohydrates, protein, vitamins, and other nutrients that has been around for about two years now, gaining devotees among techies who don’t have the time or the desire to eat food.
Big-name investors have put millions into the Los Angeles–based company. But Soylent, the brainchild of a 27-year-old software engineer named Rob Rhinehart, remains a little too weird even for many of the white-collar geeks it wants to reach. Now, the company is betting that major league video gaming, or e-sports — a global industry with a fast-growing and passionate fan base — will be its ticket to more widespread adoption.

lmao following the Oh-hungee playbook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTNXQH8SEMo

recharge and keep gaming with soylent

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

cadmium and lead poisoning are surefire ways to lose weight

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

It doesn't make sense to me that there are people who looked at the simple pleasure of enjoying food and thought, you know what would be cool is if eating food was no longer enjoyable, it needs to be more like putting gas in the car. Because eating is such a chore? Most of the fart apps I can at least understand the (often stupid) problem they're working on fixing. But Soylent baffles me that it's actually a real product that got funding and people are using.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

some turbo nerds dont actually enjoy eating because it either requires work, social interaction or it tastes horrible

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
ive said it before but soylent nerds are people who saw the oatmeal goop in the matrix and thought it was a good thing

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

has soylent solved their 'contaminated with heavy metals' problem

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

duTrieux. posted:

has soylent solved their 'contaminated with heavy metals' problem

well you see it is technically legal to sell contaminated "supplements"

so it's not really a problem per se

call it an unintended nutrition boost

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2015/09/new_testing_shows_flint_water.html

Lead leaches into 'very corrosive' Flint drinking water, researchers say

FLINT, MI -- Flint drinking water is "very corrosive" and "causing lead contamination in homes," researchers from Virginia Tech University reported online Wednesday, Sept. 2.

"On a scientific basis, Flint River water leaches more lead from plumbing than does Detroit water," the report concludes. "This is creating a public health threat in some Flint homes that have lead pipe or lead solder."

The Virginia Tech report comes as students there, overseen by Professor Marc Edwards, are in the final days of testing water collected from 300 sample kits distributed to Flint residents.

On Monday, Aug. 31, the researchers reported 42 percent of 120 initial samples from Flint had lead levels that were more than 5 parts per billion, "which suggests a serious lead-in-water problem, according to our experience and criteria."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Necc0 posted:

ive said it before but soylent nerds are people who saw the oatmeal goop in the matrix and thought it was a good thing

i can't wait for our cyberpunk future

• Locked thread