Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

A Winner is Jew posted:

Just found this.

You weren't planning on working the rest of today were you?

That site keeps having broken links for me. Also, their front page claims Knobcon was the largest synthesizer convention ever. I guess Moogfest is much more concert than convention but come on, 500 is tiny.

EDIT: Direct link to the synth: http://nicroto.github.io/viktor/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I'm in Asheville this week. Any tips on visiting/touring Moog? I've already emailed "Paul".

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

AnnoyBot posted:

I'm in Asheville this week. Any tips on visiting/touring Moog? I've already emailed "Paul".

I was there about a month ago. IIRC they only give tours on weekdays but the store is open everyday during 'normal' business hours.

Just call the store and set up a time, when I did I got the store manager after 2 rings.
Also the store itself has a lot of stuff to play with but you're gonna be incredibly disappointed if you don't get the factory tour.

Also as a side note Ashville is pretty cool but it's definitely a tourist kind of town. The food is great but a lot of the people were kind of annoying to me, but then again I'm a grump so who cares.

In the same vein my roommate just ordered a slimphatty. I really hope he let's me play with it :frogdowns:

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 28, 2015

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

64bit_Dophins posted:

Also as a side note Ashville is pretty cool but it's definitely a tourist kind of town. The food is great but a lot of the people were kind of annoying to me, but then again I'm a grump so who cares.

asheville is just full of wookies in denial but it's a pretty alright town. lots of crunch and granola but what can you do with a school like warren wilson in town

western NC is pretty a cool area overall though

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Asheville has grown increasingly spacier over the past 10-20 years. It's just in the past 10 or so it's gone full on crystal waving vortex-woo hippie. Then the hipsters came too, lol. The contrast between Asheville and the Republican sourpusses that live in the boonies around it is just too stark. There's a few people that moved out there recently that aren't, hippies, rich liberals, organic farmers etc. But they get along with the locals like oil and water.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/28776005/arpeggio-the-portable-arpeggiator-sequencer-and-sy?ref=nav_search

I'm a bit wary of crowd-funded or boutique stuff, but drat if this thing doesn't have a bunch of stuff the Electribes need- pattern chaining, a proper arpeggiator, and transpose.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
The Moog tour was pretty cool, especially seeing two System 55 modulars being assembled and calibrated. That's not something I'll likely see again. A lot of it was a recitation of gearslutz.txt (warmth! Analog! Keith Emerson!) so there wasn't a lot of new info on that front. There was a surprising amount of theremin talk though, which was neat. No vintage gear was in sight, nor was the Emerson repro around.

The guide mentioned Aphex Twin had taken delivery of a System 55, and I believe Gotye got two and is planning on making one publicly available in Australia.

Since neither I (new job) nor my wife (contractor) have any vacation right now, this trip has cost us roughly one Minimoog Voyager XL in lost income (in addition to cross country airfare for us + 2 kids). So I did not buy one. The Minitaur was adorable though, so I may have an eye out for one.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

ProAudioStar is dumping a lot of used and b-stock today. Lots of good stuff.

http://www.proaudiostar.com/landing...6ac87-407793517

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Mood is discontinuing the Voyager. So that's that.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
so here's a thing: http://www.rolandus.com/promos/roland_boutique/

standalone synth modules with optional keyboard dock, $299-399 for the modules and $99 for the the keyboard dock. each one of them has a builtin 16 step sequencer.

they look pretty nice but people are complaining about lack of midi control over parameters.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mr. Glass posted:

so here's a thing: http://www.rolandus.com/promos/roland_boutique/

standalone synth modules with optional keyboard dock, $299-399 for the modules and $99 for the the keyboard dock. each one of them has a builtin 16 step sequencer.

they look pretty nice but people are complaining about lack of midi control over parameters.

I'd much rather them make a proper competitor to the KingKorg using the ACB tech.

8-12 voices with full control over each voice covering all their classic poly synths, 49-73 full size keys, effects, and a really kick rear end sequencer for about a grand would be sweet.

Not that it matters much since I'm getting the XA when I go to winter NAMM this year.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Mr. Glass posted:

I love the keyboard dock idea.

These things are the same size as a Blofeld desktop, but somehow they seem smaller. (Maybe it's the tiny faders and mini jacks?)

EDIT: Sweetwater demo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjVpWsA-FjA

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
there's also this thing http://us.novationmusic.com/circuit/circuit

looks like an electribe competitor? difficult to tell from the videos how much flexibility you have with the synth parts, whether it's like the electribe 2 where you have complete control over every parameter in the synth engine or if it's more like the kaossilator and you just get presets.

e: oh and also here's Moog's Mother 32 announcement video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCJacEzcU7A

big synth news day!

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 1, 2015

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mr. Glass posted:

e: oh and also here's Moog's Mother 32 announcement video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCJacEzcU7A

big synth news day!

Well, I was excited about those Roland modules but this + a drum machine seems like a better use of my limited synth funds than a drum machine and a couple roland boutique modules

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
no joke! that's a whole lot of synth for $599. if i had to decide between this and the Intellijel Atlantis I'd probably go with the Moog.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah I just cancelled my Werkstatt order on Massdrop. Holy poo poo.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

If Moog put a garbage keyboard on that people would drop $1299. I can't believe how cheap that is.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
And here I was thinking that I was saving up for an MS-20...

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Bear in mind the MS-20 is still a heck of a lot more SYNTH than the Mother 32. 2 VCO's vs 1, 2 VCF's instead of 1, 2 EG's, 2 LFO's, the external sound processing bit that converts pitch to CV. I mean, I think the Mother32 is pretty sweet and that seems like a nice sequencer, but, 1 VCO 1 VCF is pretty limited.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
Anyone seen specs on how much power this thing draws if mounted in your euro case? I "need" a sequencer, midi->cv, clock divider & more modulation/envenlopes so this is a no brainer for the price. The extra oscilator and authentic Moog ladder filter just sweeten the deal that much more.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Only 230ma.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

toadee posted:

Bear in mind the MS-20 is still a heck of a lot more SYNTH than the Mother 32. 2 VCO's vs 1, 2 VCF's instead of 1, 2 EG's, 2 LFO's, the external sound processing bit that converts pitch to CV. I mean, I think the Mother32 is pretty sweet and that seems like a nice sequencer, but, 1 VCO 1 VCF is pretty limited.

That's why you get two.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

dj bobby bieber posted:

That's why you get two.

Yes, at more than double the price of an MS-20 mini. This is not, I'm not saying one is better than the other Im just pointing out this isn't a direct comparison because the features of both are actually pretty dissimilar beyond 'patchable normalized routing synth'.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

toadee posted:

Yes, at more than double the price of an MS-20 mini. This is not, I'm not saying one is better than the other Im just pointing out this isn't a direct comparison because the features of both are actually pretty dissimilar beyond 'patchable normalized routing synth'.

Yeah, I think the MS-20 mini + SQ-1 is still a bit better than a Mother 32, but 2 Mother 32's would be better than a MS-20m.

They do different things and obviously sound different, but if I was planning on getting the MS-20m I would totally opt for 2 of the Mother 32's instead now.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The problem with the MS-20 is that it's so fuckin' obtuse. I mean even beyond the Hz/V thing there's the weirdass way EG2 works on the filter, and I've never really been able to figure out just how EG1 is normaled, if it is at all. And it takes up a lot of room, but at least the top makes a good shelf.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Fuuuuck. Fried my first module today. And it wasn't even a "I got really high and decided I needed a new setup and plugged one in backwards" case, I just plugged in the system that had been working for months and by the time I realized there were no lights from the top board the magic smoke was coming out. Voltmeter to the surge protector, DC adaptor and -12V wire all seem to check out, and a quick test of the remaining modules seems to show the rest are okay, but now I'm a bit paranoid about using the system

RIP Disting - you were never used as often as I thought you'd be used, but I'll miss your CV quantizer

Only registered members can see post attachments!

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah, I think the MS-20 mini + SQ-1 is still a bit better than a Mother 32, but 2 Mother 32's would be better than a MS-20m.

They do different things and obviously sound different, but if I was planning on getting the MS-20m I would totally opt for 2 of the Mother 32's instead now.

Why doesn't Korg market a MS-20m that's fully assembled and doesn't cost more than twice as much as a normal MS-20 mini? Are the sync, FM, and PWM circuits that expensive?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Margins baby :retrogames:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

AnnoyBot posted:

The Moog tour was pretty cool, especially seeing two System 55 modulars being assembled and calibrated. That's not something I'll likely see again. A lot of it was a recitation of gearslutz.txt (warmth! Analog! Keith Emerson!) so there wasn't a lot of new info on that front. There was a surprising amount of theremin talk though, which was neat. No vintage gear was in sight, nor was the Emerson repro around.

They didn't take you back into their media room? There was lots of old poo poo in there, including a Model 15 built by Bob himself if I remember correctly (I went a couple years ago before they'd started making Model 15's again). I distinctly recall the guy just sort of being like "Oh yeah, Foreigner used this one, X used that one, etc." in that room.

Maybe there was somebody famous shooting an interview in there and they didn't want to bother them :v:

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Startyde posted:

Margins baby :retrogames:

gently caress, speaking of margins I just padded Yamahas and bought a ReFace DX. Probably not the smartest use of funds, but hey it was my birthday last week and I wanted something FM. I'm still trying to come to grips with it, but it seems pretty cool so far, and for whatever reason I don't hate the minikeys.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

stillvisions posted:

Fuuuuck. Fried my first module today. And it wasn't even a "I got really high and decided I needed a new setup and plugged one in backwards" case, I just plugged in the system that had been working for months and by the time I realized there were no lights from the top board the magic smoke was coming out. Voltmeter to the surge protector, DC adaptor and -12V wire all seem to check out, and a quick test of the remaining modules seems to show the rest are okay, but now I'm a bit paranoid about using the system

RIP Disting - you were never used as often as I thought you'd be used, but I'll miss your CV quantizer

Congratulations, today you are a man.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Mr. Sharps posted:

Congratulations, today you are a man.

Men don't wreck their modules.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

Sizone posted:

Men don't wreck their modules.

.. electrons do?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Well guys, it finally happened. It was inevitable I suppose. A question of when, not if. I bought a Voyager today. Pictures forthcoming. In the meantime, please tell me how stupid this was.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

minidracula posted:

Well guys, it finally happened. It was inevitable I suppose. A question of when, not if. I bought a Voyager today. Pictures forthcoming. In the meantime, please tell me how stupid this was.

I miss the one I sold a lot, so you did good.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Somebody sold one to the Guitar center I bought my DX at, so dumber decisions have been made. He probably got half the price he would have on eBay for it, around $1100 since they were selling it for around $2200.

I managed to make a velocity sensitive patch for the DX that sounds pretty cool to me with or without effects. I had done nothing with FM before this, and with just watching a few youtube videos and reading the manual i got something useful. I guess that says something for the program ability over the old DX series.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

minidracula posted:

I bought a Voyager today.
Which one?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Radiapathy posted:

Which one?
A Jade Select Series with black ash cabinet. Bought used, it was previously owned by a friend of a friend for a single project. I think he bought it used as well. In pretty decent shape, just a few cosmetic nicks and dings on the wood, nothing serious. Will probably play with it for a while then ship it back to Moog for factory setup at some point in a few months. I cringe a little thinking of the shipping charges.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

minidracula posted:

I hope you like calibrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

AxeBreaker posted:

I managed to make a velocity sensitive patch for the DX that sounds pretty cool to me with or without effects. I had done nothing with FM before this, and with just watching a few youtube videos and reading the manual i got something useful. I guess that says something for the program ability over the old DX series.

I don't get the hate over programmability of the DX7-likes. The manual was pretty clear, and everything was arranged logically, with no menu diving.

I tried out the Reface DX and it was a royal pain in the rear end. The touch sliders were hard to use, and they didn't do the smart thing and make pairs of coarse and fine adjustments (like the DX7 had). Trying to change the operator ratio to even multiples was a chore, which makes little sense with FM.

Also they get all fingerprinted up and the friction is going to get all hosed up unless you keep it super clean and have super clean hands. It made me long for a mechanical data slider, although maybe I've got stockholm syndrome, with an SQ-80 dominating my time at the moment.