Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also if you're a marauder then you're in a dungeon where nothing hits hard enough for it to matter so it's not a big deal if your DPS rips aggro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

are there any good triple triad and chocobo racing guides out there? I haven't really gotten into either yet but I definitely need more things to waste my time instead of doing the msq or leveling anything ever.

https://ffxivchocoboracing.wordpress.com

For 'bo racing.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Fister Roboto posted:

Also if you're a marauder then you're in a dungeon where nothing hits hard enough for it to matter so it's not a big deal if your DPS rips aggro.

this is actually the key advice

when I first started tanking I was terrified I was being horrible when something pulled hate of me

then i realized it doesn't matter and no one cares until the enemies start hitting hard enough to actually kill you

and by that time you'll have plenty more threat tools

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Can you still do Beast Tribe dailies after the reputation is maxed?

Cause I totally plan to use the Ixali quests for crafting at least to 50 for all.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dr Pepper posted:

Cause I totally plan to use the Ixali quests for crafting at least to 50 for all.

Yes.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Dr Pepper posted:

You can actually do everything but hand in the quest as a better levelled class, then have the class you're levelling hand in the quest for easy XP.

Don't forget to do your GC turnins, I think people forget how massive the XP they give is, especially for starred or HQ (or hq starred :getin: ) crafts.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Ignimbrite posted:

You can actually do everything but hand in the quest as a better levelled class, then have the class you're levelling hand in the quest for easy XP.

Don't forget to do your GC turnins, I think people forget how massive the XP they give is, especially for starred or HQ (or hq starred :getin: ) crafts.

leveled almost half of my crafts using GC turn-ins. You can get everything to 30 in a surprisingly short amount of time, which saves a ton of leve allowances. If you're trying to power-level everything to 50 (which I am doing now) leve allowances are going to be your big bottleneck.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I did Aurum Vale last night for the Immortal Flames quest and when I zoned in like everyone groaned about it. I never did it before so I expected the worse but it was actually not bad. The mob density was ok and the bosses we're super easy tank and spank fights so I didn't have to worry about running around casting flash everywhere.

Why's everyone hate it?

Also I've asked in FC chat before but never really get an answer. How fast are the new HW dungeons? Because these others ive done up to 49 are so excruciatingly long and boring that I can't bring myself to do the daily dungeon roulette cause I'd rather just wash dishes or vacuum my floors.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ignimbrite posted:

I levelled all 8 crafts from 50-60 in about a month doing only the gc turn ins every day. GC turn ins are great.

Edit: ^^^^^^^ people hate aurum vale because pubbies are real bad basically. Your standard pub tank won't know how to pull the opening room without getting a bunch of adds and killing everyone. They will not eat fruit at appropriate times on the first and 3rd boss, if they even eat it at all. Everyone gets wrecked by coincounter because he doesn't have any ground AE indicators. It's ugly.

The HW dungeons are not faster. Same time pretty much. They can go faster if you do big pulls, but usually when I ask if people want to do big pulls they say no.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 1, 2015

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
People hate AV because a lot of parties can't do the first room and the room after coincounter right

Also people screw up all the time on coincounter and it sucks

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dr Pepper posted:

I have to admit, I wish had known this before naming mine Celes.

You can rename them in the free company stable.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Nice! posted:

You can rename them in the free company stable.

Also, any chocobokeep in the 3 (4?) big towns.

Failboattootoot posted:

The HW dungeons are not faster. Same time pretty much.

They aren't faster, but they are better than most pre-50 IMO, a lot of which are super boring trash.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

According to Reddit, in A4 the /mdance emote overrides the Quarantine animation. Can't wait to dance my way into tube jail!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

drunk asian neighbor posted:

According to Reddit, in A4 the /mdance emote overrides the Quarantine animation. Can't wait to dance my way into tube jail!

You didn't find this out the second time you ran A4?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Aurum Vale is decent if you have a group of people there that know the mechanics. It's a great way to get experience, especially if you have a white mage that can holyspam the seedlings after they hatch. Ever since they nerfed nthan FATEs (they don't spawn anywhere near where they used to), it's a decent alternative.

Sadly, if you get it in duty roulette, people rarely know what to do.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Some of the hate for AV comes from it being the last dungeon before the lv50 jump in power and getting your final abilities in ARR. Plus it was slower in ARR because the gear sync would sync to NQ gear, not HQ gear. This was changed in HW so AV runs are a bit easier and faster just due to better gear when you're lv50+.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

seiferguy posted:

especially if you have a white mage that can holyspam the seedlings after they hatch.

Finally, I found my calling!

Seriously though this is the first MMO I've had actual fun healing in. Every other MMO I've tried healing in, the mechanics just pissed me off. Something about WHM just doesn't suck. Maybe it's because Regen is awesome and there's ways to save a failing pull that aren't "pop an emergency heal and hope you don't get interrupted too much while spamming your main heal".

And pub groups usually commencing the healer at least once per run makes it feel worth running with pubs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why's everyone hate it?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

so question about chocobo breeding since I've been working on that

do you have to like, do anything specific to get the "best" stats other than buy the highest ranking covering?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kazinsal posted:

Finally, I found my calling!

Seriously though this is the first MMO I've had actual fun healing in. Every other MMO I've tried healing in, the mechanics just pissed me off. Something about WHM just doesn't suck. Maybe it's because Regen is awesome and there's ways to save a failing pull that aren't "pop an emergency heal and hope you don't get interrupted too much while spamming your main heal".

And pub groups usually commencing the healer at least once per run makes it feel worth running with pubs.

I prefer scholar myself so that's what I play most of the time, but WHM feels almost exactly like Cleric in d&d online did. Yeah, sure, I have a bunch of these heal spells, and they're so good they top people up in a single cast, but dead enemies don't do damage in the first place *spams holy until OOM*.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Aurum Vale also used to be a victim of odd gear scaling. The way level sync used to work is your gear would get stated as if it was NQ at the level of the sync. In all of the lower dungeons besides AV this wasn't much of an issue because there wasn't actually any gear at the ilevel of the sync, so it was mostly un-noticed. However there is level 49 gear and it's stats blow the former synced NQ stuff out of the water. No one had this gear, and most people didn't keep their AF1 around to equip anytime they went into AV, so it was a bit of a pain. If you did go in with full HQ level 49 gear, it was a breeze. When I was working on my dungeon atma for my relic, it was still synced the old way. I had 130 gear for my warrior. When I tossed on the HQ 190 gear, I gained almost 2000 life. It was a huge difference.

Nowadays, level sync defaults to HQ versions at the level you're locked at, so any gear comes in like the HQ i49 so it simplifies the dungeon quite a bit.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

drunk asian neighbor posted:

http://i.imgur.com/1Lms9Sq.webm

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

How are you able to tell when you're about to go into Quarantine.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

Being the offtank and counting the time, I suppose.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dr Pepper posted:

After you kill the first leg focus target the center and you'll see the cast.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

It's also at the exact same time every time and after you've offtanked it a ton you know when it's coming.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

it's a lot more fun if you die just as you are sucked out/into the quarantine

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

A Spider Covets posted:

so question about chocobo breeding since I've been working on that

do you have to like, do anything specific to get the "best" stats other than buy the highest ranking covering?

Get Choco Cure from the Healer tree then go DPS. Choco Cure can heal you for a decent amount so you can keep on killing mobs. Chocobos can't tank worth spit so the Tank tree isn't very good, Choco Regen is garbage, and Choco Medica is rarely relevant so just train your bird to heal you and be a vicious murderer of mobs.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I found after maxing DPS I started pulling from the tank tree just for more str and health before I got super deep into healer, but yeah. Warky is a bad tank, but good dps and a helpful healer.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ilifinicus posted:

it's a lot more fun if you die just as you are sucked out/into the quarantine

The most fun is if you get sucked in and everyone outside dies

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Kitfox88 posted:

The most fun is if you get sucked in and everyone outside dies
did you know that if you are being transferred in/out while Mortal Revolution goes off, you take no damage?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Scrublord Prime posted:

Get Choco Cure from the Healer tree then go DPS. Choco Cure can heal you for a decent amount so you can keep on killing mobs. Chocobos can't tank worth spit so the Tank tree isn't very good, Choco Regen is garbage, and Choco Medica is rarely relevant so just train your bird to heal you and be a vicious murderer of mobs.
Dude said chocobo breeding, like, for chocobo racing, right?

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Oops, yeah, I'm dumb and illiterate. My brain read chocobo and went straight to fighting chocobros.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Dude said chocobo breeding, like, for chocobo racing, right?

i did but i appreciate the advice either way, thanks scrublord prime! if anyone knows the answer to the breeding question that'd be great too though :)

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

A Spider Covets posted:

i did but i appreciate the advice either way, thanks scrublord prime! if anyone knows the answer to the breeding question that'd be great too though :)

Actually you don't want to get the highest level covering. The baby will only ever be 1 pedigree higher than the lowest parent, so if both parents are P1, you'll get a P2 bird. If one parent is P1 and you buy a P9 covering, baby is still going to be a P2 so save your MGP.

There's lots of RNG wrt which parent the child will inherit its stats so when I buy a covering I just keep buying until I get one with lots of 4 stars. When you want to start getting the perfect bird, you'll just keep breeding the same bird (with good stats) until you get two baby bos with lots of 4 stars in its lineage and then keep inbreeding those two and then their children and then their children's children :heritage:

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

bleuraindrops posted:

Actually you don't want to get the highest level covering. The baby will only ever be 1 pedigree higher than the lowest parent, so if both parents are P1, you'll get a P2 bird. If one parent is P1 and you buy a P9 covering, baby is still going to be a P2 so save your MGP.

There's lots of RNG wrt which parent the child will inherit its stats so when I buy a covering I just keep buying until I get one with lots of 4 stars. When you want to start getting the perfect bird, you'll just keep breeding the same bird (with good stats) until you get two baby bos with lots of 4 stars in its lineage and then keep inbreeding those two and then their children and then their children's children :heritage:

do I want to start going for the perfect bird now then? im only on g2. sorry im a big noob about this, thanks for taking the time to answer!

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I have a question I can't find any real info about anywhere:

HQ gear, from what I can see, gets about 25% extra defense compared to NQ, and something like 11-12% extra weapon damage. The other stats don't go up by any set amount, but I read that an HQ piece has "capped" stats, meaning you couldn't boost them any more with materia and would have to use a different stat materia on it.

What difference does the equipment colour make? As far as I can tell, the various pink/green/blue colours all just seem to be statted as if they were HQ gear of the same ilvl:

e.g. Yeti Staff vs High Allagan Staff

The HQ yeti staff has equal magic damage, equal int, equal vit, more crit, and 23 det instead of 46 spell speed. It also has 2 materia slots. Is the det vs spell speed difference big enough to justify it being "blue", or is it more like current WOW where item rarity is nothing more than an indicator of how "hard" it is to get the item.

Aetherial gear for example is literally HQ gear with 3 extra stats. Same ilvl, same required level to equip.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
White items are crafted and, HQ items have the equivalent stats of a Green item of the same item level.

Green items are from 4-man dungeons, and certain "Master" crafting recipes.

Blue items are from tomestones and 8-man content.

Pink (Aetherial) gear is currently from some solo content and lower level 4-man dungeons. It has randomized substats, so different pieces might be way better or worse depending what they have.

Niton fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 2, 2015

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
as for what it means in terms of everyday practicality

megalodong posted:

item rarity is nothing more than an indicator of how "hard" it is to get the item.

ta da

also you can't convert green, blue, and purple gear into materia iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Some greens and blues can be converted, usually the crafted DOTL/H stuff, but also the coliseum stuff from DD.

• Locked thread