Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I don't think Oda will bother filling the ranks of the Shichibukai in this half of the story after the current ones fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.
I can't help but think Moria patched up Weible to resemble Whitebeard. Tons of stiches around his head and face. Would make some sort of connection to Lola being on Thriller Bark if they end of being related as speculated.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Neat to see that ending these of Thriller Bark show up
http://www.mangareader.net/one-piece/490/4

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mulderman posted:

Neat to see that ending these of Thriller Bark show up
http://www.mangareader.net/one-piece/490/4

Are you trying to imply that's Zou? I don't think the elephant would be able to cross the red line.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Have you SEEN that thing!?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
luffy will talk to it and it will tell him something about the history of the world

no question

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

anime was right posted:

Chopper will talk to it and it will tell him something about the history of the world

Fixed.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

RatHat posted:

Are you trying to imply that's Zou? I don't think the elephant would be able to cross the red line.

That thing could probably, literally walk across the Red Line without giving a drat.

I mean hell, how long must Zou's legs be, to be standing whilst in the middle of the OCEAN?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't think you guys are remembering just how big the red line is.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
poo poo I'm clambering through Dressrosa trying to catch up, this must have been tedious as gently caress reading weekly (at one point I'm reading people lamenting in the thread that they hadn't seen Brook, Sanji, Nami or Chopper since December 2013 :lol:), even reading it in one rush it's still pretty tedious like "Wait, this feels like the climax but there's like 30 chapters left." and it felt like they were setting up battles for like 40 chapters. So many chapters of "THESE ARE THE PEOPLE PAIRED OFF IN BATTLE AGAINST EACH OTHER RIGHT NOW, NOT THE ACTUAL BATTLES OR ANYTHING, MAYBE A SMALL PANEL OF THEM".
There's so much good poo poo but it's in a sea of other poo poo. This feels like a double album where you're like "drat, this is an okay double album but it could be an excellent normal-sized album with proper editing", though using the analogy here I'm not sure what stuff you'd edit specifically. I'm not done with it yet, the flashbacks and everything involving Doffy are all great, but I never really ended up caring about Kyros or Rebecca (nice chain mail bikini Oda :rolleyes:) no matter how much Oda wanted me to experience the "feels".
Gotta take a break in my reread tbh, Dressrosa is exhausting.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 1, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah, it has sucked not seeing Brook for a while. And... maybe Chopper.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

What about Buggy's animal trainer guy. Is he a minkman? Cause that would be pretty dope.

Cody Banks
Mar 7, 2013
Dressrosa was supposed to be Alabasta 2.0 but it was way too cluttered and meandering. Also no one cares about the dwarves/Riku family.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

anime was right posted:

luffy will talk to it and it will tell him something about the history of the world

no question

The Elephant explains everything to Luffy in detail, finishing the story by saying that he only talks once every 400 years or so. Luffy then comments that he wasn't paying attention, but can the elephant see any delicious meat from up here?

Luckily Luffy will immediately forget all about it. Robin would be crushed if she knew.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cody Banks posted:

Dressrosa was supposed to be Alabasta 2.0 but it was way too cluttered and meandering. Also no one cares about the dwarves/Riku family.

Disagree. I think most people are just fine with the Riku family sans Rebecca and the Tontata minus Mancherry.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Captain Invictus posted:

This is absolutely the sort of poo poo I love about one piece. The impossible, fantastical poo poo like skypiea, island-sized sea monsters, or this one atop the back of a millenia-old eyeless titanic pachyderm

i really hope you've been reading toriko then. it's really quite ridiculous, and lately has just been :vince: as hell

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Cody Banks posted:

I like Punk Hazard, but yeah I'd say Dressrosa (at least from what I've read so far) wouldn't have the depth of world (so to speak) to be Alabasta 2.0. Even if one were to say Alabasta was as cluttered and meandering (there are people I've seen who don't like the arc :shrug: ), it feels like it has a greater scope/scale to excuse that (visiting the various cities and traveling a lot) and better emotional connections with the people/royal family being saved. Whereas I just spent like seventy chapters in this same single city and it feels like Franky and Senor Pink have been "getting ready to fight"/"kinda fighting in single lil panels" for a billion chapters. Also some of the opponents basically seem to have slightly reworked Baroque Works abilities, which makes them doubly boring. :shrug:
There does seem to be this ideological fixation on Oda among OP fans in some of these past threads where whenever someone brings up say, Rebecca being a lame character with a terrible costume who punks out completely (at least so far) against her mother's killer to become a damsel in distress, the reaction is often like "SHUT UP/HOW'S IT LIKE TO BE OBJECTIVELY WRONG/THIS IS A KID'S MANGA/ODA KNOWS BEST".
Whereas it feels like Naruto and Bleach threads, far more used to mediocrity and failure in their series, are more willing to accept/critique the presence of mediocrity in their series and not assume every recycled face art is a sign that OH MAN ODA DONE IT AGAIN THIS MUST BE MACHIAVELLIAN FORETHOUGHT.
Although now it seems like most people have come around to the weak parts of Dressrosa. This is why I like Punk Hazard, it's not too long and not too brisk. Like even if all these characters get used in some way and become part of Strawhat's pirate armada or w/e it only barely excuses having to spend so much time on them.

Someone please tell me Robin at least gets her second full fight in this arc. :( That's probably too much to hope for. At least Usopp got super memorable/epic moments (well, right after reverting back on a lot of his character development for a few chapters).

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I didn't see Usopp reverting back, rather than changing to what he would have been like if Robin never joined or met them, since his full on cowardice moment started just after she was toyified.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Illuyankas posted:

I didn't see Usopp reverting back, rather than changing to what he would have been like if Robin never joined or met them, since his full on cowardice moment started just after she was toyified.
Yeah, I did see people tinkering with that theory but then they realized that trying to rationalize the Sugar amnesia brought up too many confusing ideas, like the woman may have forgotten her husband but not the child by her husband so it seemed more like you may have forgotten the person but not the ramifications/poo poo they did. And just all kinds of other conflicting thoughts that happens when you start overanalyzing a magic ability like that. So people seemed to think it'd be more like "I had a transformative moment and defied the world government...but I can't remember who it was for".
I dunno though. Not caught up yet.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Astro Ambulance posted:

What about Buggy's animal trainer guy. Is he a minkman? Cause that would be pretty dope.

Nah, he just has weird hair. There was a question in a SBS about him.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
dressrosa being alabasta is a mistake because the samurai are the people who are involved in multiple arcs. dressrosa is a really long little garden/drum island

Cody Banks
Mar 7, 2013

TheFallenEvincar posted:

This is why I like Punk Hazard, it's not too long and not too brisk. Like even if all these characters get used in some way and become part of Strawhat's pirate armada or w/e it only barely excuses having to spend so much time on them.

Punk Hazard was cool except for Zoro getting taken out by a random nobody and the unceremonious ends of Monet and Vergo. Those guys were awesome and I expected them to be bigger players than they turned out to be. :shrug:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Cody Banks posted:

Punk Hazard was cool except for Zoro getting taken out by a random nobody and the unceremonious ends of Monet and Vergo. Those guys were awesome and I expected them to be bigger players than they turned out to be. :shrug:
I liked their ends at the time as a way to illustrate the relationships between Doffy and his family, it just being refreshing to actually see villains taken out for once, and it dealing such a major early blow to Doffy's plans, but it is true in retrospect that they ended up cooler characters than a few of the other family members we got during Dressrosa.
It really feels like some of the Strawhats had more facets to their personality and more cool/interesting costumes pre-timeskip as opposed to just like becoming one-note representations of their running gags in tiny panels and wearing tiny black cocktail dresses etc. It also feels like Oda's pages were a lot less cluttered/crammed with poo poo as well, people brag about the density of each page and references to this and that and so on but at some point I prefer breathing room. I guess the New World means more ancillary characters and more world politics and less opportunity for Strawhat spotlights/character development but maybe if this is a long Drum Island it'll build up to an arc that'll provide more opportunity for that. Maybe Robin doing something?
Overall though, I'm enjoying Dressrossa and really liked Punk Hazard, they're at least far better than the comparative boredom of Fishman Island and all the complaints I read about Dressrosa really are (I can only assume) more tolerable and digestible when doing it in one run rather than weekly. Still, this was one of the longest OP arcs, right? It really didn't feel like it needed to be. Hopefully there's someone willing to edit Oda.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Is Brownbeard somehow related to the new shichibukai, his mom, and Lola? He has similar hair, and I think his jolly roger was very similar, too.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450903889"]
Is Brownbeard somehow related to the new shichibukai, his mom, and Lola? He has similar hair, and I think his jolly roger was very similar, too.

hes lolas brother

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450903889"]

It's just that they're both imitating Whitebeard.

EDIT: I went back and looked, they're not similar at all.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Cody Banks posted:

It still feels like a dangling thread that Monet and Sugar are sisters, but we never see any kind of reaction from Sugar about Monet dying.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Predictions for the upcoming arc -

Chopper becomes friendly with the Minkmen and realizes that Zou might be the only place he can truly fit in. He has a "Pikachu's Goodbye" moment but eventually returns to The Strawhats and has his "The * Member" chapter (which he and Robin haven't had yet).

Bepo is a Minkman.

Marco & the remaining WB pirates return and join the Strawhat armada, we finally get an explanation of his powers (as promised in the SBS)

The Samurai continue to be pointless.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

tane

oddium fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 20, 2019

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

There does seem to be this ideological fixation on Oda among OP fans in some of these past threads where whenever someone brings up say, Rebecca being a lame character with a terrible costume who punks out completely (at least so far) against her mother's killer to become a damsel in distress, the reaction is often like "SHUT UP/HOW'S IT LIKE TO BE OBJECTIVELY WRONG/THIS IS A KID'S MANGA/ODA KNOWS BEST".
Whereas it feels like Naruto and Bleach threads, far more used to mediocrity and failure in their series, are more willing to accept/critique the presence of mediocrity in their series and not assume every recycled face art is a sign that OH MAN ODA DONE IT AGAIN THIS MUST BE MACHIAVELLIAN FORETHOUGHT.

I do pretty much agree with you, I'm sure I've been guilty of this myself, though I think I used to do it more with Naruto, I don't know if the Rebecca thing is a great example. Maybe it wasn't always that way, but Rebecca criticism has been pretty thorough here, I think.

Because she sucks.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Cody Banks posted:

I liked the Dwarves and the Riku family, step :colbert:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gyges posted:

Is Weeble supposed to be the mysterious, un-named Warlord who killed Z's family and cut off his arm? He seems more like a new guy getting promoted now that Luffy done messed up the Warlord ranks again.

The Pirate who cut off Zephry's arm and the one who killed his family were different people. The one who cut off his arm was the one stated to have joined the Warlords during the skip.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Cody Banks posted:

Lets be fair, the royal family stuff was really boring in Alabasta as well. I am forever glad that we dodged the awfulness that was Vivi potentially joining the crew.

Even her goddamn background flashback was awful. The only good part about her was in Whiskey Peak when she was pretending to be in Baroque Works.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Vivi owns though????

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

This is what a mink looks like:

A lot of you seemed to be having trouble with this, hope I helped

KoB
May 1, 2009

oddium posted:

do you people not know what a mink is

Also Bepo was confirmed to just be a bear.

Like Papugg is just a starfish.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I gotta say, I found the royal family in Alabasta way more interesting/entertaining/compelling as characters than Gladiator Bikini Girl and Dad. :lol: Like, c'mon.

Especially since on the second reread I discovered...some things...about the King of Alabasta. Nice job helping the Strawhats PEEP ON YOUR DAUGHTER, DUDE.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I liked Kyros a lot, mostly when he was Toy Soldier, but he was still pretty cool even after that. That being said, yeah, I did not care about the lineage of the Riku family or whatever especially since a lot of it hinged on Rebecca who I did not like at all. The Alabasta Royal Family stuff is there and is involved with Vivi's character a lot, but Vivi was part of the crew for a good while and was a fun character that had good chemistry with them and I gave a poo poo about her. I like Dressrosa a lot, it's probably one of my favorite arcs in a while, but the royal family stuff is just sorta there, the highlights are all in the Coliseum and the Donquixote Family.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Vivi also loving obliterated Croc's head (not that it stuck but it's the intent that counts) when she got the chance, while Rebecca froze and cried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

This is what a mink looks like:

A lot of you seemed to be having trouble with this, hope I helped

the one minkman we've seen for sure though was sheep themed