Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Amuuru looks dehydrated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 10: http://youtu.be/kHFxnIIaV1c

Very good day of sumo overall.

Terunofuji-Tamawashi :stare:

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

anakha posted:

Day 10: http://youtu.be/kHFxnIIaV1c

Very good day of sumo overall.

Terunofuji-Tamawashi :stare:

Teru v Tama was heart-pounding stuff. Tamawashi would be an ozeki if he put that much into every fight.

Oosuna-Okinoumi :stare:

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Osunaarashi :black101:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX4HoFrX0bo

Homarenishiki highlights!

Kotoyuki, wtf were you expecting against Aminishiki?

Tochinoshin going all "You are not loving moving me" on Ichinojo :black101:

Oosunaarashi over .500 after that horrendous first week!

:laffo: at the yoko-henka. Kakuryu must be feeling the pressure.

anakha fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Sep 23, 2015

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

anakha posted:

Day 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX4HoFrX0bo

Homarenishiki highlights!

Kotoyuki, wtf were you expecting against Aminishiki?

Tochinoshin going all "You are not loving moving me" on Ichinojo :black101:

Oosunaarashi over .500 after that horrendous first week!

:laffo: at the yoko-henka. Kakuryu must be feeling the pressure.

You pretty much summed all of my thoughts. Homarenishiki (Brodi) looks awesome now - that sickness he went through was obviously no joke. He looks so much bigger and stronger already.

Osuna and Tochi for yokozuna. The latter probably will never make it unless Hakuho and/or Harumafuji retire in the next year, though.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Fryhtaning posted:

You pretty much summed all of my thoughts. Homarenishiki (Brodi) looks awesome now - that sickness he went through was obviously no joke. He looks so much bigger and stronger already.

Osuna and Tochi for yokozuna. The latter probably will never make it unless Hakuho and/or Harumafuji retire in the next year, though.

Can you really see the elders letting those two past Ozeki? I mean I'd love it, but considering how hard they made Tochinoshin work for promotion after his injury and Osunaarashi's brawlin' style I'm not so sure.

Ikioi seems doomed to a perpetual yo-yo of getting a great result low down the order, getting promoted all the way up to the meatgrinder, crashing and burning, then getting relegated down again.

Anyway Terunofuji really has to mess up now not to win the basho, with Kakuryu making such a mess of being the sole Yokozuna.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

Osunaarashi's brawlin' style

Not like Akebono was known for face-smashing and choke slams right off the tachi-ai :rolleyes:

It's a stretch, I know, but Yokozunae are supposed to destroy, and those guys are destroyers. And there's not much the elders can do if they were to one day pull off back-to-back yusho. Tochinoshin is racing against the clock at this point, and Osuna just has to put it all together - and both have to figure out the Mongolians.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Can tochinoshin and amuuru just fusion dance to bring back baruto already?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Fryhtaning posted:

Not like Akebono was known for face-smashing and choke slams right off the tachi-ai :rolleyes:

It's a stretch, I know, but Yokozunae are supposed to destroy, and those guys are destroyers. And there's not much the elders can do if they were to one day pull off back-to-back yusho. Tochinoshin is racing against the clock at this point, and Osuna just has to put it all together - and both have to figure out the Mongolians.

I'll concede on Osunaarashi's style, he's also young enough to turn his good form against the top guys into a tournament win. I think it's a stretch for Tochinoshin to make it, even if he is my favourite guy. He's already 27 and hasn't really got the hang of beating sanyaku opponents, which would make it hard to even get to Ozeki with 4 of them already and 3 Yokozuna

Gibbo posted:

Also this

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Gibbo posted:

Oh man, this is the best. I miss that guy. :(

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 12: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41xRFwoC1Nc

E:

Is Sadanofuji going to be the first guy to fall all the way to juryo from his current rank?

I'm actually not that surprised Ikioi lost that one. He does seem to feast on lower ranks but struggled at the top ranks last basho.

Tochiozan:black101:

Where was this Kakuryu yesterday?

anakha fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Sep 24, 2015

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Day 13 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rahoh8wAR2A

Day 13 was a Good day.

Kanthulhu fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 25, 2015

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

A good day indeed, since we got an ashitori(!) finish.

Holy poo poo, they had 7W Amuuru face a sekiwake this late in the basho?

That finish to Terunofuji-Kisenosato :ohdear:

Tochinoshin :black101:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Well that certainly spices up the last couple of days. I hope Terunofuji isn't too badly crocked that Kakuryu doesn't just cruise to a Yusho

Also congrats to Tochinoshin on sanyaku kachikoshi

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Day 14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWbeQJ0xO2k

I guess the main talking point is the final match
Kakuryu winning the tournament having done 3 henkas is going to seriously tarnish that win, isn't it?

Also congrats on your eventual KK Osuna

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yay for Amuuru and Osunaarashi :dance:

Aoiyama's tsuppari couldn't budge Ichinojo :staredog:

Yoshikaze deserves sekiwake rank next basho. Too bad he's not going to get it.

Yeah, Terunofuji has to be hurt, with the way he's gotten pushed around the past few bouts.

Kakuryu tries another henka this bout :ughh:, botches the attempt :ughh: :ughh:, then DOES IT AGAIN. :wtc:

I'm no Kisenosato fan, but he has every right to be loving pissed after that bout.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Wow, big day today. (talking about Ichinojo vs Aoiyama)

A lot of amazing matches.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 15: http://youtu.be/mThi9J2iDtw

I'm tickled pink at the idea of a rikishi named Rikishin.

Looks like Shohozan's on his way back into makuuchi.

Kotoshogiku has had an excellent basho which probably went unnoticed until today.

Goeido with the unsurprising kadoban.

Props to Terunofuji for forcing the playoff while hurt. Slick move by Kakuryu for the win and the yusho though.

anakha fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 27, 2015

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
Final day was very cool.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

anakha posted:

Looks like Shohozan's on his way back into makuuchi.

:toot:

Not sure why, but he was one of my favorites. Glad to see him back.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

I'm most happy about Goeido being kadoban.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm glad we got the playoff, shame Terunofuji was a bit too puffed to win two bouts in a row. Tochinoshin having Toyonoshima's little legs wiggling 3 feet off the ground was pretty boss too.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Tochinoshin picking guys up is cool as heck but it usually doesn't seem to get him too far and it must tire him out quick.

I just wanna see him pick up hakuho once, people would go apeshit.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Tochinoshin picking guys up is cool as heck but it usually doesn't seem to get him too far and it must tire him out quick.

I just wanna see him pick up hakuho once, people would go apeshit.

I wonder if that would be seen as awesome, a big sign of disrespect towards a yokozuna, or both.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i like yoshikaze just fine but how the hell does oosunaarashi not win a special prize

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

a false posted:

i like yoshikaze just fine but how the hell does oosunaarashi not win a special prize

He black

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Per Kintamayama the Yokozuna Deliberation Council met.

They discussed two topics; Kakuryuu and Terunofuji

Kakuryuu's use of henka was generally regarded as OK for two reasons:
1. He is fighting through a pretty big injury right now and
2. The wrestlers he is fighting should be able to deal with it

Number 1 is a big thing especially with Hakuho and Harumafuji (especially him) withdrawing as a foil.
Number 2 seems like a dig against Kisenosato for wasting another beautiful chance with Hakuho and Harumafuji out and Terunofuji getting injured late in the basho.

Even though Terunofuji took yusho (remember a playoff loss is still a yusho for the YDC), it was only a 12-3 record and thus 'weak', probably not on a Yokozuna run.
They even said they probably wouldn't consider a 15-0 yusho next basho for Terunofuji, but I'm willing to bet if some combination of Hakuho coming back, Harumafuji retiring or something, Goeido going MK again, etc etc happens and he still 15-0's, they'll probably promote him.

For people unfamiliar, the YDC is kind of like the college AP poll plus coaches poll with some musicians, entertainers, and CEOs thrown in for good measure.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

a false posted:

If you go 8-6 you gotta beat some yokozuna to win a prize.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

If you go 8-6 you gotta beat some yokozuna to win a prize.

Yeah, 4 consecutive glorious losses doesn't do much for winning a special prize. Better to have a yokozuna fall on his face than to lose in style.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
He did beat 2 yokozuna in a single basho once but he went 7-8 and you gotta have a winning record to get a prize so....

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What do the ranking numbers next to rikishi's names mean? 10E, 7W, I can't figure that out besides the East and West part.

When was the last time a rikishi actually won by hiwaza? "Slippiotoshi" is a running gag, and it appears they'll always call a technique as long as the rikishi were touching at some point. The one that sticks out to me the most is Tetsuyuuzan/Rikishin, where it looked like Tetsuyuuzan just made a false step as he was slapping Rikishin, but because Rikishin had just been pushing on his chest a bit they called a push-out.

I read the "announcer" joke about "conspiracy theorists" when Goueidou lost on the last day. Is that a reference to the match-fixing scandal because he wasn't expected to walk away with a makekoshi?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Halloween Jack posted:

What do the ranking numbers next to rikishi's names mean? 10E, 7W, I can't figure that out besides the East and West part.

When was the last time a rikishi actually won by hiwaza? "Slippiotoshi" is a running gag, and it appears they'll always call a technique as long as the rikishi were touching at some point. The one that sticks out to me the most is Tetsuyuuzan/Rikishin, where it looked like Tetsuyuuzan just made a false step as he was slapping Rikishin, but because Rikishin had just been pushing on his chest a bit they called a push-out.

I read the "announcer" joke about "conspiracy theorists" when Goueidou lost on the last day. Is that a reference to the match-fixing scandal because he wasn't expected to walk away with a makekoshi?

I can't answer your other questions, but the rankings are just that. 10E is Maegashira 10 East. Makuuchi (the top division) are consists of the Maegashira ranks (usually the lowest rank is about 16 (it varies) up to the top Maegashira rank of 1. Above M1 are the Sanyaku ranks: Komusbi, Sekiwake, Ozeki and Yokozuna. Komusubi and Sekiwake function pretty much the same as Maegashira, except you can only get promoted to Ozeki with a series of good results at Sekiwake. Once you're Ozeki you only get demoted if you have a losing record twice in a row, and if you do well enough at Ozeki you might get the nod to step up to Yokozuna, which you can never be relegated from. Instead Yokozuna are expected to retire if they can't put in a strong performance.

If you look at the banzuke it all becomes pretty clear
http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx

"Slipiotoshi" is Kintamayama's joke when they call a slip as Hikiotoshi

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

The numbers represent the wrestler's rank in the maegashira. The ranks just below the sanyaku (Komusubi, Sekiwake, Ozeki, and Yokozuna). M1 is the highest ranking maegashira wrestler (east is technically higher ranking than the west at the same rank). This will continue, with two rikishi at each rank until the banzuke is full with 42 wrestlers (usually around M15 to M17, depending on the amount of wrestlers in the sanyaku).

Here is a link to the most recent banzuke for visualization.
http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx

quote:

I'm not familiar with that kimarite, usually when someone falls it will generally be classified as a hatakikomi

quote:

Yes

EDIT: Beaten, and incorrect

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
There is also this English website Sumo Talk and almost every article they write always predict bouts based on assumed match fixing taking place. People pulling out due to injury is really match fixing, etc. It gets really tiring to read and sometimes those guys push this opinion on other websites.

This is despite the fact that most of the stables the top guys wrestle for are notoriously anti fix and have kicked dudes out on their own for getting wind of stuff (well before the big scandal happened)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
This is an example of the absolute trash they put out for Terunofuji v Goiedo

quote:

O Terunofuji (11-2) vs. O Goeido (6-7)
I have a bad left knee. I do a lot of mountain hiking. These things should not go together. However, what I notice is that, whether from psychological reasons of forgetting the pain because I have walking that needs doing, or for physical reasons that my body releases chemicals that block/mask the pain, once I get going, the knee hardly bothers me at all when actually out on the trail. I once sprained an ankle, which turned purple, yellow, and dead-looking, and, being somewhat cussed, climbed a 2,000 meter peak the next day anyway. It barely hurt at all; it was simply a matter of lacing up my boot, putting one foot in front of the other, and letting my endorphins and adrenalin do the work. So, I was watching Terunofuji closely. He wasn't even limping. I thought he would be able to put the injury aside, ride the rest of his physiognomy for a few seconds, and win this one.

I still think he could have done that. However, instead he gave this bout to Goeido. He tried a hari-te--not his style--that didn't work and left him wide open, giving Goeido moro-zashi. He had an opportunity at an outside left with his rattlesnake arms, but didn't take it. He tried a maki-kae on the right but didn't complete it. Goeido drove him out easily, yori-kiri. I did not see a weak knee being involved in this at all, though you could claim he was up too high because he wasn't free to bear down on a bent knee. But I don't buy it. I desperately wanted to believe that this one would be straight up because of the injury, but watching it, I just can't lie: Terunofuji looked to be having no trouble with his injury--all his trouble was with Goeido's 6-7 record, and/or with Kakuryu's first Yokozuna yusho. This loss gave Kakuryu a clear path to the yusho on a logical narrative featuring Terunofuji's knee. I wanted to buy this product, but when I picked it up, found the quality to be poor. I'm putting it back in the bin.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
drat. Watching sumo must loving suck for that guy.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Pretty interesting videos they put up on the Sumo app this time - ends of famous winning streaks. What was most incredible to me was the quality of those first couple of videos, especially. It's also amazing how little has changed in sumo in nearly 100 years. So weird seeing Taiho as so unassuming - I figured he'd be more like Chiyonofuji to have been so great.

Dr.Radical posted:

drat. Watching sumo must loving suck for that guy.

Takanoyama does an utchari - :smith: Osunaarashi chokeslams a bitch - :smith: Tochinoshin picks up a 200kg monster - :smith: Possible conspiracy theory - :supaburn:

He's probably one of those guys trying to prove that Sandy Hook was a hoax.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 2, 2015

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
If they're still up, check out the yearly highlight videos on Araibira's channel. They start in the late 30s and go until the early 2000s. It'll give you a really good look of how things have evolved as far as sumo style and how things haven't changed regarding the rituals and aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Fryhtaning posted:

He's probably one of those guys trying to prove that Sandy Hook was a hoax.

The real Hakuho died almost 10 years ago because his oyakata beat him with a baseball bat. To cover it up a succession of rikishi have gotten plastic surgery to appear as Hakuho. The most recent Hakuho has bionic implants taken from the Roswell crash, thus why he is so dominant.