Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

MaxxBot posted:

I'm sure the "ban all guns, kill all gun owners" rhetoric that pops up here after every shooting has absolutely nothing to do with that.

Funny how well armed guys have such thin skin, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Can mods reopen the Gunthread and make talking about guns in any other thread a bannable offense? Asking for a friend.
Gunthread never works, it's too easy to circumvent the insuffient and inefficient badposter screening system.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Like, at the end of the day, I'm absolutely sympathetic to the idea that gun ownership is not inherently harmful and to the position of gun owners, and I accept that most gun control efforts have real and serious flaws.

At the same time, the end result of all of that is that we've chosen as a society to accept dead children rather than increased restrictions on guns, and that is insane.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
This shooting won't get tons of press because the name is loving impossible to pronounce.

this_is_hard posted:

Lmao if you don't know how to reload an AR15 by muscle memory, just lmao.

What are D&D rules on empty quoting? Asking for a friend.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

chitoryu12 posted:

Well, the other option is that a bunch of people who have a really bare understanding of how guns work and how they're used (assuming they aren't completely clueless) keep trying to make decisions about them.

I'll say what I said the last time: firearms is the only subject I've seen where the people who actually have a deep understanding of the subject matter are called crazy thugs if they try to participate.

I have a Ph.D. in Online Firearm Discussion, AMA.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

pathetic little tramp posted:

http://www.turnto23.com/news/local-news/foothill-high-school-on-lockdown

Shot or shots fired at a high school / elementary school campus, on lockdown, no one seems to have been hurt.

Just to clarify, there is nothing in that report that says there was a actual shooting at either school but rather a altercation in a neighborhood near the schools led to gunfire and the the schools were put in lockdown.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

this_is_hard posted:

Yes, a deep mechanical and tactical knowledge of guns are required before making any sort of judgement on their effects to American society.

Lmao if you don't know how to reload an AR15 by muscle memory, just lmao.

It's a MAGAZINE not a CLIP, retard. You are not allowed to have an opinion on guns.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

chitoryu12 posted:

Well, the other option is that a bunch of people who have a really bare understanding of how guns work and how they're used (assuming they aren't completely clueless) keep trying to make decisions about them.

I'll say what I said the last time: firearms is the only subject I've seen where the people who actually have a deep understanding of the subject matter are called crazy thugs if they try to participate.

Hi, I'm someone with a deep understanding of guns and the subject matter related to them.

Gun control is good and needs to loving happen.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

I'm sure the "ban all guns, kill all gun owners" rhetoric that pops up here after every shooting has absolutely nothing to do with that.

The irony here is that gun owners are actually killing a lot of people yearly :spooky:

Weekly, even!!

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Can mods reopen the Gunthread and make talking about guns in any other thread a bannable offense? Asking for a friend.

My friend would also like to know this.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

A Bag of Milk posted:

Significant in what way?

Significant in making it impossible to talk about anything else in this thread for several days. No room here to talk about Trump declaring he'll kill off NAFTA for example.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Please. We all know what's going to happen here.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
We were arguing over whether Bernie might be closer to Hillary's cash on hand a few pages back, turns out yes, very close. She had close to a 90% burn rate over the summer and has $32 million on hand, Bernie has $26.5 million on hand.

So actually a very small money advantage.

Of course that doesn't include super PACs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Significant in making it impossible to talk about anything else in this thread for several days. No room here to talk about Trump declaring he'll kill off NAFTA for example.

Haha he really is Perot 2.0.

greatn posted:

We were arguing over whether Bernie might be closer to Hillary's cash on hand a few pages back, turns out yes, very close. She had close to a 90% burn rate over the summer and has $32 million on hand, Bernie has $26.5 million on hand.

So actually a very small money advantage.

Of course that doesn't include super PACs.

Gee, but are super PACs important?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

A Bag of Milk posted:

Significant in what way?

Multiple deaths instead of just 1 wounded like happened yesterday in South Dakota:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/30/south-dakota-principal-shot-wounded-students-safe

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

chitoryu12 posted:

Climate change/global warming, vaccinations, racism, feminism

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

chitoryu12 posted:

what decisions, there is nothing to decide because your side won and you gloat about it everytime a tragedy happens

the posts you whine about are just pure catharsis at this point

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

this_is_hard posted:

It really borders on an almost religious fervor.

This is an understatement. I own guns, I know how to shoot guns. They don't consume every waking thought I have nor do I base my identity around them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

13 guns confiscated by Obummer's secret gun police? God drat it.

Hahaha.

How would we even confiscate all the guns.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
You don't have to know how to use a gun or have in depth knowledge of how they work, but it helps to at least have basic knowledge of different types of guns you want to ban. Otherwise you have things like "assault weapons" bans which literally means nothing, it's seriously based on cosmetic features rather then the functionality of the gun. I'd think people passionate about gun control would want to know that their legislation is essentially meaningless.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Seems like a necessary component to his protectionism policy. He's only now coming out and saying it explicitly.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

MaxxBot posted:

You don't have to know how to use a gun or have in depth knowledge of how they work, but it helps to at least have basic knowledge of different types of guns you want to ban. Otherwise you have things like "assault weapons" bans which literally means nothing, it's seriously based on cosmetic features rather then the functionality of the gun. I'd think people passionate about gun control would want to know that their legislation is essentially meaningless.

Shoulder thing that goes up.

Pictured above: The last thing your children will ever see.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 1, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lessail posted:

Climate change/global warming, vaccinations, racism, feminism

healthcare, education and policing too!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

MaxxBot posted:

It makes more sense when you realize they don't actually care about fixing the problem.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's going to be a bit rough to start the month with a serious mass shooting without letting people talk about it here to some extent. If it gets too crazy, we can just start mass probating people, seeing as mod control is so limited in SA.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Isn't that last month's news? He's sure to top it by Sunday, at the latest.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

I want to ban...

every gun

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

MaxxBot posted:

Okay, so what coherent, gun-knowledgeable ways are there to make it harder for people to murder 15 community college students

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
personally i'm in favor of increasing gun ownership rates given that statistically gun owners are most dangerous to themselves, their family, and their friends in that order before they are dangerous to strangers. i don't know many people who own guns so i'm pretty safe

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Shoulder thing that goes up.

This part, right?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

The good thing about legislation is you get to define what exactly you mean when you use a term. The 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban, for example, defined assault weapons as semi-automatic firearms that had certain other features, based on the broad category of firearm (pistol, rifle, shotgun)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bob Ojeda posted:

Okay, so what coherent, gun-knowledgeable ways are there to make it harder for people to murder 15 community college students

I believe the NRA suggests:

1. More guns.

2. More NRA gun training, preferably in elementary school.

3. More people with guns.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Bob Ojeda posted:

Obligatory Onion link.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Zelder posted:

I want to ban...

every gun

If you don't know the weight (loaded and unloaded), tactical, and mechanical uses of every single type of gun you would like to ban you can just :frogout:

I've spent the past decade going to the shooting range, attending gun shows, and buying guns. I'm a bit of an expert. *speeds off in his lifted truck*

welp cya.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Gee, but are super PACs important?

Honestly I have no idea. You'd think so but there was a huge superpac advantage in 12 for Republicans which didn't seem to do anything and every liberal superpac I've seen has been pretty embarrassingly ineffectual.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bob Ojeda posted:

Mandate state compliance with NICS. Open NICS to the public.

Two thing that would cost nothing and close a "loophole" people have been bitching about for like 25 years now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

Honestly I have no idea. You'd think so but there was a huge superpac advantage in 12 for Republicans which didn't seem to do anything and every liberal superpac I've seen has been pretty embarrassingly ineffectual.

Yeah I don't either tbh but I feel like they have to.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think that is fair to say. I know people that grew up in rural America in communities where guns are viewed as tools for putting down hurt or dangerous animals and they are for stricter gun control. In fact, earlier today I was taking to someone about guns. He grew up on farm. He can clean a gun. He can fire a gun. He had to use them often enough growing up that he is a better shot than most. He's also afraid of guns because of all the accidents he remembers from his community.

Hell, my dad grew up living hunting for food. His family was poor. It was their means of survival. He also hated guns. There are plenty of gun literate people that are troubled by our gun culture.

This meme that people that support gun control just don't "get" guns is itself very silly.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I suggest banning all guns except .22 Long Rifles which aren't lethal.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

whoops wrong thread, never mind

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Bob Ojeda posted:

Well the overwhelming majority of gun crime is done with handguns, almost none is done with "assault weapons," so if I were a gun control supporter I would start there. You'd also have to find a way to bring down the vast number of handguns out there already or else you wouldn't do much good.

• Locked thread