Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Discover is offering ridiculous cash back on Apple Pay purchases so I went ahead and splurged on a 6S instead of waiting for the 7 next year. Got the rose gold pink one and I'm loving it :3: Actually going to try going caseless for a while.

Haven't had much opportunity to use the camera yet but the faster processor, extra RAM, and new touch id hardware make for a very responsive device. Previous iPhones haven't ever really felt slow to me, but this one feels fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sextro posted:

I'm running through Official Bought From Apple Store Lightning Cables faster than toilet tissue. I don't do anything but plug my phone in and lay it flat on my desk, or in a little phone cubby in my vehicle. Just had my 5th cable since getting a 6 on release day start freaking out and constantly saying its plugged/unplugged. Are these cables allergic to me? Are they just really lovely? I'm seriously considering switching back to the wastelands of android to escape these cables.
It's probably lint. Clean out the port with compressed air or a toothpick.

Anti Plum
Sep 15, 2007
Apple store was great, walked out with a new phone in 10 minutes. A++++ would buy again.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oneiros posted:

Discover is offering ridiculous cash back on Apple Pay purchases so I went ahead and splurged on a 6S instead of waiting for the 7 next year. Got the rose gold pink one and I'm loving it :3: Actually going to try going caseless for a while.

I'm glad you mentioned this. 10% back on purchases is already pretty great, and apparently it works for people who have the double cashback thing.

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

banana allergy posted:

Edit: Okay iCloud seems to be working and I even paired my watch but none of my loving health data restored even though iCloud is supposed to back this up for me. I also just had an app disappear from the home screen. gently caress this.

Was your backup encrypted? Won't restore health data without it.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

oversteer posted:

Was your backup encrypted? Won't restore health data without it.

iCloud backups are encrypted enough that they contain health data.

A DFU and third attempt to restore from encrypted iTunes finally worked without any missing data or weird issues like the watch thing. I think between iCloud and iTunes I tried five times to complete what is usually a pretty simple process.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does anyone know of a way to stop apps like Twitter hijacking AirPlay with their stupid loving ads? I feel like it's not too much to ask to be able to skim through Twitter while playing video though my Apple TV and not have an a looping .gifv of the new Budweiser rear end-a-Rita interrupt my Netflix binge.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

lelandjs posted:

Does anyone know of a way to stop apps like Twitter hijacking AirPlay with their stupid loving ads? I feel like it's not too much to ask to be able to skim through Twitter while playing video though my Apple TV and not have an a looping .gifv of the new Budweiser rear end-a-Rita interrupt my Netflix binge.

Turn off auto play in settings for Twitter?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stop using apps with ads?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

mediaphage posted:

Turn off auto play in settings for Twitter?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is there a benefit, cost-wise, to buying the phone outright instead of using the Upgrade Program?

Like.. Would the iPhone 6S resale value make it better to sell it in a year or two and then buy the next phone outright?

smoobles fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 1, 2015

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there no way to turn off the weather part of "Today's Summary"?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

smoobles posted:

Is there a benefit, cost-wise, to buying the phone outright instead of using the Upgrade Program?

Like.. Would the iPhone 6S resale value make it better to sell it in a year or two and then buy the next phone outright?

Apple is essentially giving you 50% of the value guaranteed with financing at 0% interest for the Upgrade Program. You may or may not get more than that selling privately. I had so much trouble with the Upgrade Program that I just said gently caress it. I'll keep the phone on a 0% interest card myself and sell before the next iteration comes out in September 2016.

I wasn't too keen on waiting around off-contract with verizon paying $100/month until either a) Apple got their poo poo together with Citizens One or b) carriers actually got in stock for the phone I wanted.

I ended up paying for the phone outright, ditching Verizon, and moving to the 5GB / $30 month Tmobile plan. The math seems to work out more favorably if you can swing the upfront cost.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

smoobles posted:

You're paying more. A 64gb 6s costs $877 with the upgrade program, paying for it up front is $750.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

xzzy posted:

You're paying more. A 64gb 6s costs $877 with the upgrade program, paying for it up front is $750.

Actually since it includes AppleCare Plus it's $2 cheaper :eng101:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I don't know whether I'll be buying applecare+. Someone in this thread (I think?) stated a screen repair is ~$130 itself, which is probably the most likely damage that will occur to your phone in my mind. Especially since I'll be selling after a year anyhow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mulva posted:

Actually since it includes AppleCare Plus it's $2 cheaper :eng101:

Oh oops I thought the 750 included AppleCare, must have misread the website.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

Oh oops I thought the 750 included AppleCare, must have misread the website.

It includes one year of AppleCare. iPhone Upgrade Program gets you AppleCare+, which includes accidental damage, an extra year of warranty and costs $129.

That said, it was optional when I tried getting the program, so I'm not sure it matters.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Before Apple changed their pricing on iCloud back-ups, I used to connect my iPhone to my computer and manually drag all of my photos and videos into Google Drive. Now that the pricing is much more reasonable, I'm transferring everything from Good Drive back into iCloud.

Unfortunately, it seems that the videos won't transfer over, although all the videos taken were from iPhones. Is there anyway I can import all of the videos back into my iCloud?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This morning, while browsing SA on my iPhone 6, the battery dropped from 20% to 10% in about 30 minutes. I'm paranoid the Genius Bar screwed something up when it replaced the screen twice in a week a month ago.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

This morning, while browsing SA on my iPhone 6, the battery dropped from 20% to 10% in about 30 minutes. I'm paranoid the Genius Bar screwed something up when it replaced the screen twice in a week a month ago.

Go into your battery settings and see what drained the battery.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mahoning posted:

Go into your battery settings and see what drained the battery.
In the last 24 hours, nothing is above 10% except Awful App and Overcast which sound about right.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I found the best iOS 9 feature, Siri can rate songs now.

I'm one of those luddites that still manually maintain an MP3 library and when adding new music I rate stuff one star to mark it for later deletion, now that Siri can help with that I can filter duds better than ever!

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

obi_ant posted:

Before Apple changed their pricing on iCloud back-ups, I used to connect my iPhone to my computer and manually drag all of my photos and videos into Google Drive. Now that the pricing is much more reasonable, I'm transferring everything from Good Drive back into iCloud.

Unfortunately, it seems that the videos won't transfer over, although all the videos taken were from iPhones. Is there anyway I can import all of the videos back into my iCloud?

https://www.icloud.com upload manually?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

? Yeah. That's what I'm trying to do but it gives me an error saying that it's not readable.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
And I've found yet another quirk from (what I believe is the cause) the invalid iCloud restore on my phone :

Evernote app DOES NOT have 3D Touch features on my device while my co-worker has it no problem. I've rebooted, uninstalled/reinstalled and still nothing.

Edit : Yay, the Mail app doesn't have any of these functions either while my co-worker does ... he is still running 9.0.1 though. Someone else indicates this was happening to them on 9.0.2 as well. Guess I'll be restoring and setting up as new ... again.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 1, 2015

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Before I make the switch from android to iPhone are there any apps on iPhone that will let you search and download music for free, like there are 100s of on android

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Josh Lyman posted:

It's probably lint. Clean out the port with compressed air or a toothpick.

Thank you for this! My old 5s has been having charge issues for a couple of months now. I was just about to take it to someone to have the lightning port replaced. Spent a few seconds digging lint out with a toothpick, and now it works as good as new. You just saved me :10bux:x5

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Before I make the switch from android to iPhone are there any apps on iPhone that will let you search and download music for free, like there are 100s of on android

There some some, sure, but like Android they are bloated and full of ads for the most part. For 5 dollars you can just get Spotify or other streaming service that allows downloading to your devices.

When we're talking about 700 dollar devices, using an app like Soundtube or FREE MP3Box seems odd.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Anybody ever have the lock screen notifications show the wrong time since you received a notification. A lot of times it will say it had been 2 minutes or whatever since an iMessage but when I open the message it's been over half an hour or whatever

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I didn't know people actually did this. Amazing.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

CancerStick posted:

Anybody ever have the lock screen notifications show the wrong time since you received a notification. A lot of times it will say it had been 2 minutes or whatever since an iMessage but when I open the message it's been over half an hour or whatever

At this point I even wonder if its worth asking the "does anyone else have this issue" because I have had more bugs with 9.x than on any iOS release in the past ..

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

CancerStick posted:

If you own an iPhone, $14.99/mo is close enough to free :smug:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I had no idea how much Mail was screwing my battery. I'm connected to an IMAP account and it was always updating and apparently was like 30% of my daily battery usage. I set it to Fetch with an interval of 10min and now it's dropped to 8% usage and I'm at 90% battery after nearly a full day whereas I'd have been at about 70% at this point in the day.

edit: hourly, not 10min, sry.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 1, 2015

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

There's nothing on the iOS ecosystem that supports :filez: in any way, if you mean that, its specifically against the app store policy.

There's not a lot stopping you from just dumping poo poo into a google music account though and getting it that way.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Do I absolutely have to use my current sim on my new phone? I'm still not 100% sure exactly what a SIM card does.

tl;dr - using cricketwireless on a 4s with microsim. Just upgraded to 6s. How to I transfer my service?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Etrips posted:

Do I absolutely have to use my current sim on my new phone? I'm still not 100% sure exactly what a SIM card does.

tl;dr - using cricketwireless on a 4s with microsim. Just upgraded to 6s. How to I transfer my service?

A SIM card identifies you as a subscriber with a mobile network. You do have to use your current SIM, or for some reason if your current SIM is destroyed or incompatible you should go to your carrier to get a new one.

The 6s uses nanosim, so you will need a new one BUT there are guides online that show you how to cut down a microsim to a nanosim. I've never done it, but it looks easy enough.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

smoobles posted:

Tested calculated it out and it was pretty much a wash either way if you upgrade every year.

Just depends on how much you like dealing with selling a phone on Craigslist et al.

Also can confirm my S+ has the weak headphone jack as well, ugh.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

e.pilot posted:

Also can confirm my S+ has the weak headphone jack as well, ugh.

What's the deal with this? I just got a 6s but haven't used headphones yet. What is there to look for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

e.pilot posted:

Tested calculated it out and it was pretty much a wash either way if you upgrade every year.

What if you upgrade every other year? Someone said Upgrade program is $2 cheaper factoring in Apple Care, does that about sum it up?