Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

SubponticatePoster posted:

Make part of the gun buying process similar to what Republicans keep trying to do with abortion. First, you have to see pictures of victims of mass shootings and audio recordings of the screams of the dying. Then get something randomly shoved up your rear end - you must consent to this or else you're not allowed to purchase a firearm. Then after all that you still have to come back and speak with a counselor twice more with a waiting period of 48 hours in between sessions. Also regulate the stores that sell firearms down to the nails used in construction, make sure the seller has admitting privileges at a local hospital (in case something goes wrong), they can't be within 1000 ft of a school or church, and the name of everyone that buys a gun is posted in the local paper. Oh, and they have to recommend alternatives, like slingshots and paintball/airsoft.

I mean, we're not making buying a gun illegal, we're doing it for the health and safety of the buyer. If it's not a legitimate gun purchase we have ways of shutting that whole thing down!

(For the record I own guns, like shooting them and don't think they should be outright banned but I have no problem with strict regulation)

Somebody turn this into an image macro or something. :wow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Yeah it's almost like the dude is trolling the thread by saying insane things.

Oh sure, but trolls are lazy. Someone else made that awful awful chart.

Possibly one of the worst things to make into a pie chart.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

I would assume the ones that existed during the US occupation.
So category one: the ones we're bombing.

I mean if guns are really that important, you can go to Syria/Iraq and have all the shooting and guns you want. You probably won't live very long but you can do it, just ask Caro.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 1, 2015

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Thump! posted:

Um.

You do know what was happening in Germany in 1944, right?

Like, poo poo.

Hes probably right that most deaths weren't by guns in Berlin

High explosives on the other hand made quite an impact

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Trabisnikof posted:

Its not just that CHL ownership doesn't impact if the owner commits a crime, but also that CHL ownership doesn't prevent other people from committing crimes.
Yeah, exactly. Because people who can get a CHL are a vanishingly small percentage of crime perpetrators/victims/witnesses. And also because criminals are loving dumb and nobody is looking up CCW stats and doing the math before he knocks over a WaWa.

For CHL to be effective at reducing crime it'd have to be prevalent in areas where crime happens, which it isn't because nobody in those areas can afford it or pass the background check due to racism.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
For some reason I'm getting serious deja vu from that pie chart, as if this exact form of bad pro-gun troll was used in an earlier string of poo poo-posts on the topic, right down to the Hitler connection. :iiam:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

For CHL to be effective at reducing crime it'd have to be prevalent in areas where crime happens, which it isn't because nobody in those areas can afford it or pass the background check due to racism.

Actually, the study we're discussing found that there is no relation between crime rate and CHL ownership, so you're wrong about that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Oh sure, but trolls are lazy. Someone else made that awful awful chart.

Possibly one of the worst things to make into a pie chart.

Nah man he just made it off the first google result for "pie chart maker".

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

pathetic little tramp posted:

chans are now saying the shooter was literally the 'take the black pill' guy but that's probably just them trying to troll news networks.

Do I want to know what this means, or should I be happy in my ignorance?

Edit - How the hell did I miss three pages, nevermind and thanks for the link.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Yeah, exactly. Because people who can get a CHL are a vanishingly small percentage of crime perpetrators/victims/witnesses. And also because criminals are loving dumb and nobody is looking up CCW stats and doing the math before he knocks over a WaWa.

in like every post you preach towards the uselessness of a CCW and the funny part is that i doubt you're even aware of what you're saying

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I love the little lead-in to this article about that study:

quote:

Supporters say allowing people to carry handguns cuts crime

Researchers say the evidence doesn’t show that

Campus-carry legislation takes effect in Texas next year

Because of course it is.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article36807687.html#storylink=cpy

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Here let me change the subject:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/1/9435609/amazon-ban-apple-tv-google-chromecast-sales-date-explain-why-confusion

quote:

Chromecast, both competitors to its Fire TV hardware, on Oct. 29, according to an email sent to its vendors, Bloomberg Business reports.

Amazon cited its Prime Video service as a reason for the ban on items currently on sale at the online retailer. Prime Video isn't on Apple or Google's hardware, though both platforms offer third-party streaming services like Hulu and Netflix.

"Over the last three years, Prime Video has become an important part of Prime," an Amazon email obtained by Bloomberg says. "It's important that the streaming media players we sell interact well with Prime Video in order to avoid customer confusion."

Amazon sells two categories of streaming-focused devices. The Fire Stick is a diminutive HDMI-equipped dongle, similar to Google's Chromecast. The Fire TV is a set-top box, similar to the Apple TV. In the wake of Apple's recent gaming-capable Apple TV announcement, Amazon announced a gaming-focused Fire TV with an overhauled controller.

Amazon Video was bundled into Amazon Prime membership not long before the company increased its price to $99 in early 2014. Prime subscribers also receive free and discounted shipping, among other benefits.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Per this article, there is one witness who claims that the shooter asked for the students to state what their religion was before firing.

Also according to live updates on Mediaite, four guns were recovered.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Oh good, we get to do the PERSECUTED CHRISTIANS/loving MUSLIM HORDES thing again depending on whether the shooter passes the paper bag test or not

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh good, we get to do the PERSECUTED CHRISTIANS/loving MUSLIM HORDES thing again depending on whether the shooter passes the paper bag test or not

Correct!

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Luigi Thirty posted:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

...I did not account for the shooter being a Conehead. This throws off my calculations.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Has anyone confirmed that this human egg is the actual shooter?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I think we can all agree that guns had nothing to do with this mass shooting.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

SubponticatePoster posted:

Make part of the gun buying process similar to what Republicans keep trying to do with abortion. First, you have to see pictures of victims of mass shootings and audio recordings of the screams of the dying. Then get something randomly shoved up your rear end - you must consent to this or else you're not allowed to purchase a firearm. Then after all that you still have to come back and speak with a counselor twice more with a waiting period of 48 hours in between sessions. Also regulate the stores that sell firearms down to the nails used in construction, make sure the seller has admitting privileges at a local hospital (in case something goes wrong), they can't be within 1000 ft of a school or church, and the name of everyone that buys a gun is posted in the local paper. Oh, and they have to recommend alternatives, like slingshots and paintball/airsoft.

I mean, we're not making buying a gun illegal, we're doing it for the health and safety of the buyer. If it's not a legitimate gun purchase we have ways of shutting that whole thing down!

(For the record I own guns, like shooting them and don't think they should be outright banned but I have no problem with strict regulation)

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Probably couldn't handle the Peyton Manning comparisons. :manning:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Kinda looks like a cross between Peyton Manning and David Cameron, huh

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Barnacle Jim???

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Before we go full reddit, there's no confirmation or even an inkling that that's the guy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

drat. my mental picture had him fatter and hairier.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

And yeah that guy is in his 30s, I mean look at him, shooter was 20.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
That guy in the picture looks like the guy in the old SA picture of the white guy in a pink shirt sitting next to a scowling Lowtax.

Also, going by that picture and the report he was asking about their religion I immediately thought it was a goon :spergin:

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Milk Malk posted:

You asked for it.

This is a direct comparison of U.S. violent crime in areas with AND without gun control legislation. Germany before and after guns were removed as well. Guess when there was more violent crime?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

That guy could easily be 20.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Jeb Lund nooo

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

sean10mm posted:

For some reason I'm getting serious deja vu from that pie chart, as if this exact form of bad pro-gun troll was used in an earlier string of poo poo-posts on the topic, right down to the Hitler connection. :iiam:

Oh yeah, the "gun control is bad because Hitler did it" thing is an old myth that NRA types have been pushing since the 70s. You'll see it used tons in any online gun argument, and most of the people saying it actually do believe that it's true.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
http://libertynews.com/2015/10/breaking-is-this-the-oregon-shooter-4chan-forum-says-his-name-is-toby-reynolds/

Liberty News is officially dumb as hell and falls for really obvious trolls.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

I love that this guy decided to explain what's a sheriff's main responsibility in a letter to the goddamn vice president of the United States. His constant use of the word NOT in capital letters is pretty bad too. gently caress this guy.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

To be fair, that dude looks like a Toby.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The religion thing among basically every other fact the media's reporting on was made up by 4chan.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

... and the people that say this poo poo never ever propose an actual solution.

I mean I don't get it... gun control is literally the answer. People kill people with guns. The main part of the solution is to remove the inanimate killing machine. Not that it's the ONLY part of the solution (ie better treatment and less stigma in the mental health field), but I can see absolutely NO solution to this problem that does not involve removing the gun. I mean it's the only non-sentient part of the equation and the most predicable one ("pull trigger - lethal projectile comes out") ... so why NOT embrace that as the most easily changeable option?

When people say stupid poo poo like "gun control is NOT the answer"... what do they actually think IS the answer?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Shoot all guns with other guns.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

if you criminalize murder only criminals will be murderers!

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

BonoMan posted:

... and the people that say this poo poo never ever propose an actual solution.

I mean I don't get it... gun control is literally the answer. People kill people with guns. The main part of the solution is to remove the inanimate killing machine. Not that it's the ONLY part of the solution (ie better treatment and less stigma in the mental health field), but I can see absolutely NO solution to this problem that does not involve removing the gun. I mean it's the only non-sentient part of the equation and the most predicable one ("pull trigger - lethal projectile comes out") ... so why NOT embrace that as the most easily changeable option?

When people say stupid poo poo like "gun control is NOT the answer"... what do they actually think IS the answer?

How do you propose seriously removing 300 million guns? It would be cheaper and more effective to fix mental health and a host of other social problems than to get rid of guns. Not to mention that as long as capitalism exists the people should never be disarmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

What did VP Biden say to warrant this?

• Locked thread